Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fthea118

Your views on PREVIOUS regimens..

I realized how much I treated my skin like crap before I started using CSR. I was NOT gentle at all and thought I could just SCRUB away the p-acne bacteria and acne in general (I was on proactiv at the time) and I would touch my face ALLL the time and squeeze pimples with my bare fingers during the middle of the day! When I'd get nervous in social situations I had a tendency to touch my face all the time (now I don't do that anymore). I also never moisturized at all. I am so glad I found this site and CSR. I'm on my 3rd month now (as of this week) and am finally near the 100% clear zone.

I agree! ^

I cringe when I think about how I used to think if I scrubbed harder or more often, it would help. And then I didn't understand when my acne would be worse.

So glad I found this site.

well, I wasnt gentle at all. I used to scrub with 10% BP Acne was and never moisturized. I always used to pop my pimples without washing my hands. I had used BP but didnt realized how helpful it was, so I stoped using it. After finding this site I realized that my acne got worse because I didnt know the correcet way to treat my acne.People with acne should know that gentleness can really help preventing acne.

yeah i would squeeze pimples all the time, every one had to be squeezed. also 10% BP all the time

I think that the CSR is a good start to obtaining clear skin, though here are my concerns with it:

*In the CSR step-by-step instructions, men are told to periodically splash their face with hot water. Dermatologists recommend using the lukewarm water on the face, as hot water is irritating to the skin.

Whether or not women should use hot or cold water is not specified.

The instuctions for washing in the evening are better because they say to use warm water rather than hot.

*The regimen recommends the use of bar cleansers, which are not good for the skin because:

1) the ingredients used to keep them in bar form can absorb into the skin to clog pores

2) they typically have alkaline pH levels, which can encourage bacrerial growth

3) they typically contain harsh cleansing agents (which involve the inclusion of lye) that are very irritating to the skin

*The regimen does not stress the importance of a broad spectrum sunscreen having an SPF 15 or higher, which is especially important for benzoyl peroxide users.

*The reigmen recommends the use of products labeled with "oil-free" and "non-comedogenic," which are flashy marketing terms that have no regulations; therefore, any product can have them.

The ingredients most likely to clog pores are waxy thickeners like arachidyl alcohol or propionate, cerecin, isopropyl myristate, and paraffin. Animal oils may also clog pores because they resemble human sebum. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, both broad-spectrum sunscreen ingredients, can clog pores as well. Synthetically-derived sunscreens like avobenzone are typically less likely to be probelmatic for breakouts, though some people are sensitive to them.

* The regimen does not identify common skin irritants that should be avoided like drying alcohols, peppermint, camphor, menthol, lavender, ylang ylang, citruses (like lemon and orange), rosemary, etc...

I know I am being critical and that the CSR has worked for many people as is, but I'm just expressing my opinions.

^ I notice that you do not use BP at all, have you tried the regimen? If so, how effective was it?

^ I notice that you do not use BP at all, have you tried the regimen? If so, how effective was it?

I don't use benzoyl peroxide or other topical disinfectants anymore because I have stopped breaking out in nodules and papules (which is probably a combination of many factors, including hormones, my elimination of unnecessary skin irritants from my regimen, and various acne treatments which have proven to be effective for me personally). Now my "breakouts," if you can call them that, basically involve a few tiny blackheads by my nose and the occasional closed-comedone that can't easily be seen without the use of a lighted makeup mirror. As a result, my specialty skin care treatments are products designed to prevent and treat clogged pores, and I find them to be effective for this purpose.

Anyway, to answer your question, I suppose in a sense I have tried the regimen (or at least something very similar), though that was before I found this site, so I guess that is a matter of interpretation. Here's basically what I did twice daily (I'm not listing my specific products because I don't remember exactly what all my products were as this was several years ago):

1) Washed with what I thought was a gentle, unmedicated, and "non-comedogenic" liquid cleanser

2) Globbed on 2.5% benzoyl peroxide products, as anything stronger tended to be too irritating

3) Applied moisturizer labeled "non-comedogenic" without sunscreen (every sunscreen I had tried was poorly-formulated and greasy; also, I didn't know much about UV damage back then so didn't see the necessity for sunscreen)

I believe I gave the above regimen a trial period of about two months, and it just didn't do much for me.

Personally, I found that I need an in-pore exoliant like salicylic acid to stay clear. When I used it with benzoyl peroxide, I had a clearer complexion than when I used one treatment alone.

About a year ago, I renewed one of my old prescription acne medications, a generic sodium sulfacetamide 10% and sulfure 5% lotion, and found it to be a much more effective disinfectant for me than benzoyl peroxide. The reason why I had not used it before like I should have was because I couldn't stand the smell of sulfur all day, but when I started using it again I didn't care as long as no one else seemed to notice.

What made the biggest improvement in my skin was the use of 55% lactic acid peels, though I have heard results vary by person. Also, much like with prescription retinoids, my skin got worse before it got better, but the overall end result was fabulous.

^

All that's just some of my own personal experience regarding certain treatments. Trying those treatments may or may not work for you.

I do recommend using as few acne treatments as you can get away with to prevent irritation, so if you find that benzoyl peroxide by itself is enough to treat your acne, by all means continue using it without adding anything else.

If you do decide to get a salicylic acid product, be wary that there are very few salicylic acid products on the market that are both pH correct (have a pH of 4 or lower) and gentle (exclude unnecessary skin irritants like alohol, menthol, etc...), so at best most salicylic acid products do nothing and at worst they irritate the skin. The one I use (see my signature) the best one that I know of.

Guest Spike Rules89

I laugh when I see proactiv commercials