Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hultkrantz

Hormonal acne and Accutane?

Accutane will shrink the oil glands and help with acne for almost everyone. Problem is, if the hormone problem persists the oil glands can enlarge again (due to excessive androgen stumulation) and you'll be right back to square one. I've been through it twice...I'm now treating it with Diane-35, which has been a much more long term solution for me.

Accutane will shrink the oil glands and help with acne for almost everyone. Problem is, if the hormone problem persists the oil glands can enlarge again (due to excessive androgen stumulation) and you'll be right back to square one. I've been through it twice...I'm now treating it with Diane-35, which has been a much more long term solution for me.

I am on my 3th month of diane 35,it didnt do anything for my adult acne yet,how long did you have to wait to see results.

I am on my 3th month of diane 35,it didnt do anything for my adult acne yet,how long did you have to wait to see results.

It took 8 months. The package insert says that the average time is 3-6 months, but my doctor indicated that 8 months is definitely not abnormal! Be patient...it's worth it ;)

It took 8 months. The package insert says that the average time is 3-6 months, but my doctor indicated that 8 months is definitely not abnormal! Be patient...it's worth it ;)

Hmm is there any medication like Diane for men?

I never really thought of this.

I hope to god my acne isnt hormonal, because there is NO WAY I'm going on birthcontrol--ever.

Weight gain to the extreme is not my thing.

I've tried diane-35 & tri-cyclin lo, always makes me gain weight.

For me, it worked initially, but didn't last. I never had severe acne, just persistant acne. I went on acutane twice, and considered recently a third time, but my regimen is working wonders for me now. I attribute my success to my Jessners peel I got from my derm. It's awesome. I also use retin-a at night and a red tea serum in the day.

Hormones are stronger than drugs. Accutane is really strong, and comes with serious serious risk. I'd only use it as a last resort.

For me, it worked initially, but didn't last. I never had severe acne, just persistant acne. I went on acutane twice, and considered recently a third time, but my regimen is working wonders for me now. I attribute my success to my Jessners peel I got from my derm. It's awesome. I also use retin-a at night and a red tea serum in the day.

Hormones are stronger than drugs. Accutane is really strong, and comes with serious serious risk. I'd only use it as a last resort.

DO you have to see a derm to get prescription for retin-a or just a doc?

DO you have to see a derm to get prescription for retin-a or just a doc?

Depends. Some general physicians will prescribe it, others will not.

I never really thought of this.

I hope to god my acne isnt hormonal, because there is NO WAY I'm going on birthcontrol--ever.

Weight gain to the extreme is not my thing.

I've tried diane-35 & tri-cyclin lo, always makes me gain weight.

I started gaining weight a lot when I went on bc - I went from 125 to 140, and the only change in my life was bc.

Then, I started working out - usually I can only squeeze 3 workouts in a week, but it shed the weight right away. I also feel a lot healthier in general.

I'm not sure if you work out or not - but I've noticed (at least in my group of friends) that the people who claim to gain weight on bc are those who don't always make the best lifestyle choices.

BC doesn't automatically make one gain weight - it makes one more susceptible to lifestyle choices (good or bad) ie: eating healthy/eating poorly, working out vs. not, etc.

I'm not assuming that you don't work out or that you eat poorly, just sharing my experience in what I have noticed for myself and among those around me. Everyone is different, but I thought I'd share in case you found yourself wanting bc, and the info could be of use to you.

hope things work out!

~Becca

I took accutane and my acne came back after about a year of being off of it. It's definitely less severe, but still bad. I started taking spironolactone mid July and my skin is completely clear now. My complexion is starting to look better too. If it's hormonal I think you should check it out. :)

I took accutane and my acne came back after about a year of being off of it. It's definitely less severe, but still bad. I started taking spironolactone mid July and my skin is completely clear now. My complexion is starting to look better too. If it's hormonal I think you should check it out. :)

Is that for liver disease, high blood pressure ?? Did your derm prescribed that for your acne ??