Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mandathepanda

Almost 3 months on CSR Regimen... heres my story.

Hello. I am a 15 year old girl, suffering with acne. It's hard to be in high school and be involved when acne can be so embarrassing and it lowers my self confidence. I really would love to try reduce it, well of course everyone would. Anyway, here is my story and the troubles I have been having, with pictures included that I just took minutes ago.

I started the CSR regimen back in the middle of April I would say. I started out with the generic Walmart brand of Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, Neutrogena on the spot, and Cetaphil moisturizer. I did this regimen morning and night. Later on, I thought I would order the real CSR gel, and I did. I like it alot more. I am using that now. I decided to start because even though I have had acne for a while, I started to get quite a bit of it on my cheeks in bunches. I've never had acne on my cheeks before so it was shocking. I used to always have acne on my forehead, but that cleared up with time. My forehead is now my clearest spot. My chin was always been a bad spot too. My face is so fair and sensitive so of course my face is very red now and I have post-acne marks from those horrible cheek breakouts left over.

Lately I have been using Scarzone, a topical scar treatment that I bought at Walmart for $10. I read about it and I thought I would just add it into my regimen. Well yeah I know your gonna say thats a no no but I really would like to clear up all these post acne marks because they make me look like I have severe acne. So now I put lots of that on after I wash my face, do my 15 min waiting periods and then apply the regular CSR BP and moisturizer. I think that may have screwed something up because the bottom half of my face, where I only apply it, is so red. I'm so flaky too, and too bad they don't sell Eucerin anymore. I would have bought some...

Anyway what I am trying to say is that I don't see much improvement from being on this regimen. Just alot of irritation on my face. I don't what Im doing wrong really? Maybe Im just a hopeless soul? Well I wash my face gently with the right product, dry it by pressing a towel against it, wait for my face to dry, use the scarzone (i'll cut down on that probably, but these marks are driving me insane), use a fingers length of BP, wait then put on some moisturizer. Thats it!!! I don't know why its not working? It gets me so depressed because I know Im pretty but my face just drives me crazy. If I see someone looking at me I flip out and figure they are like, "OMG LOOK at that FACE?! Is she deformed?". Im so self concious. Things should be getting better because its summer break and Im not really wearing foundation at all...

So any suggestions would be VERY much appreciated. I don't know what to think. I may as well stick with it. After all I am not breaking out, my face is just very red and scarred. Maybe I should see a derm about that? Please look at my pictures for reference. Thanks.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well first off I want to say that even with acne, you are very pretty.

Second of all, I know how you feel. I had acne at that age too and it made every single day of school practically unbearable. So, a big hug to you!!

Okay, yea, you guess it, you gotta get rid of the Scarzone stuff.

I"m also going to suggest you switch from Cetaphil Cleanser to something that will actually clean your face. I'm guessing you probably wear foundation makeup (since most females do) and in my experience Cetaphil just does NOT clean.

So, please consider getting the Purpose Gentle Cleanser or the new CSR gentle cleanser. Both are very gentle and will clean your skin and get makeup off without being irritating.

And while I am on the subject of makeup, be sure that what you are using is oil-free and non-comedogenic, that lessens the chances of it contributing to breakouts. If you are unsure, list what makeup you are using and we'll help you out!

Also, be sure you are using one full fat finger worth of the CSR gel, this is what is going to clear you up!

As for moisturizers, yep you were using the wrong Eucerin and that may have caused some problems. So the Cetaphil facial lotion is fine to use, or Neutrogena oil-free, or even Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion. You have been on the REgimen long enough to add that one in and it will significantly help with the flaking and red marks.

One last thing, read here and see if anything raises a red flag for you...

http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

Hope this helps!

keep me posted on your progress!

thank you so much for replying! I thought no one would even read it for a minute... so thank you!!

I thought the Cetaphil Cleanser was reccomended for this regimen? I guess I will swap over to the purpose bar... do you use that one as well? Im trying not to overly dry out my face... thats the last thing I need. I will swap over to that then... thank you for informing me!

When I do use foundation I use Loreall (sp?) Infallible... since its summer break I haven't been using it much.

So I have to take our Scarzone COMPLETELY? Like I can't use it on just my cheek marks? A little wouldn't hurt, would it?

I guess I should also change over to a different mosturizer as well. It works well but I am just so flaky for some reason. Yes I am using a full fat fingers worth of bp as well...

I just hope to be clear by the time the school year starts. It would be a huge load off my back. I'm starting my sophomore year too so things just get more stressful. If things don't get better soon though, I'm gonna see a derm.

Thanks again for your help... I hope this redness and irritation goes away. Maybe I should get a moisturizer with AHA in it to help with that, red marks, and flakiness?

heya sweetie.

I know its tough. Ive had acne since god know when and at 25 im still battling it. I think its GREAT that ur no longer breaking out. I think that is key. The redness and scarring, I think most on this board will agree that time is probably the best medicine.

I think personally,I would lay off the scarzone for a bit totally and see if that helps with the redness.

if you want to rid yourself of marks

have a look at my thread.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=97977

read teh start for sure before you go and get it etc because basically i suggest getting your acne under control as best you can before starting with bio oil.

however it is a very good product i ave to say.

all is explained in my thread.

best thing 2do is get acne undercontrol tho with persistant usage of the CSR Regimen.

then add in bio oil to remove the marks. :D

hope it helps

If your skin is easily irritated, I would suggest using the Purpose liquid cleanser as opposed to the bar. I find that the bar can be a little drying sometimes. Or of course, get some of the new csr cleanser, apparently it rocks hard.

As for moisturization, personally i use Aveeno Ultra Calming during the day and Neutrogena Healthy Skin (sensitive skin version) at night and find both to be very effective and not irritating at all. I only recently added the Neutrogena to my regimen and can already see a difference in my red marks and clogged pores.

Which actually I have Brandy to thank for recommending the Neutrogena <3

thank you so much for replying! I thought no one would even read it for a minute... so thank you!!

I thought the Cetaphil Cleanser was reccomended for this regimen? I guess I will swap over to the purpose bar... do you use that one as well? Im trying not to overly dry out my face... thats the last thing I need. I will swap over to that then... thank you for informing me!

When I do use foundation I use Loreall (sp?) Infallible... since its summer break I haven't been using it much.

So I have to take our Scarzone COMPLETELY? Like I can't use it on just my cheek marks? A little wouldn't hurt, would it?

I guess I should also change over to a different mosturizer as well. It works well but I am just so flaky for some reason. Yes I am using a full fat fingers worth of bp as well...

I just hope to be clear by the time the school year starts. It would be a huge load off my back. I'm starting my sophomore year too so things just get more stressful. If things don't get better soon though, I'm gonna see a derm.

Thanks again for your help... I hope this redness and irritation goes away. Maybe I should get a moisturizer with AHA in it to help with that, red marks, and flakiness?

I've heard of a few people who have broken out quite badly from Loreal Infallible. Actually, most Loreal foundations are comedogenic. Even if a product says non-comedogenic, it may not be because this is a term not regulated by the FDA...so basically any company can put it on their product. If you want to use a drug store foundation, I would find something from the Maybelline line. They tend to be the best for acne prone skin. Maybelline Pure is a popular one for acne sufferers, as well as Everfresh. I love La Roche Posay Toleriane Corrective Fluid Foundation (at Shoppers Drug Mart) but its $30.

Also, if you like a really gentle cleanser, I find Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser to be amazing...much better than Cetaphil.

Good luck hun :)

ok, i don't really have much advise to provide you with as we are basically on the same situation right now. I'm sixteen though. And yeah, I know the feeling. Sometimes you just want to find excuses not to go to school because of this problem, but hey, you're really pretty. And i think, just like us (you not included, but all these other readers) your schoolmates find you pretty as well. so don't be so down ya. just think, you're still beautiful at your worst. And if you have a perfect skin, it wouldn't be fair to others. haha

...but it won't hurt for us to have a better skin, ryt? haha

hang in there.

I am about 3 months into the clear skin regimen (some people may remember my first posts here) and im happy to say im 90% clear now.. i have 1 spot on my cheek and maybe 2-3 minor whiteheads.

The red marks just sort of dissappeard over a 3 week period after being on the regimen for 2 months.

This is what i did for me which may not suit all but thats the hardest part of acne as everyone's is different and everyone has different skin.

Wash once a day with clean and clear daily blackhead scrub (jojoba beads) gently for 45 seconds and then once a day i wash my face gently with just cold water. I swap this between mornings i wake up late for work and mornings i wake up early (hehe).

I moisturise with eucerin face cream 3 times a week which keeps me very moisturised.

I use once a day a large amount of BP (full amount recommended by dan) and then a small amount before bed.

This keeps my skin clear but more importantly reduces any skin redness or dryness.

Find a routine that keeps your skin clean but more importantly does not strip your skin of all life!

Paul

Just to mention i started the regimen before joining these boards sort of because i used brevoxyl which is quite common in the uk 5% BP cream which DEVASTATES your skin it literally kills your skin so bad.

After 1 week of joining the board or so i ordered dans csr gel and have used it ever since.

Paul

Hey, I am also going to be a Sophomore this year. Plus I was embarassed many times last year in high school. But just look around there are plenty of people with this condition. Continue with your regimen. Over time it will get better. What I recommend is to add a topical retinoid, such as Retin-A or Tazorac. Tazorac has worked wonders for me. Although my acne has still been lingering, so I am now starting Accutane.

Yes, Cetaphil is on the recommend list, but honestly it doesn't work that well for oily skin, and for people who wear makeup. I would suggest you go with the Purpose Gentle Cleanser instead of the bar right now since the bar is a bit more drying, and you've said you are concerned about getting dryer.

And do consider changing your foundation. Someone suggested Maybelline Pure, that is a good one. I would recommend you either use it, or the Almay Smart Shade. I have been using Almay Smart Shade for several months and absolutely love this stuff. It is hypoallergenic, oil-free, non-comedogenic, spf included. Just a wonderful light foundation that will not look 'cakey'. One bit of advice, use makeup sponges to apply it. Those little cheap ones at Walmart are fine, I just use one and toss it.

Yes, for now do not use the Scarzone. You need to do the BASIC regimen and get your skin under control and settled down.

If you want a moisturizer that will help exfoliate the flakes and speed resolution of the red marks, consider Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion. It is a bit strong so I would recommend you use it only once a day, and alternate it with a normal moisturizer.

Be diligent, do not touch or pick at your face at all during the day. Get a lighter better foundation such as the one's I recommended. If you need a bit of shine control, you can consider Covergirl fresh look pressed powder (I've used it a long time and no problems at all).

So, basically here is what I recommend.

1. switch to Purpose Gentle Cleanser or Dan's CSR gentle cleanser

2. get a different makeup, either Maybelline Pure or Almay Smart Shade

3. drop any other products (including scarzone)

4. consider adding in an AHA moisturizer.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to holler if you need more help! We'll do all we can to help you get clearer by school.

thanks fo much for all of the advice guys! Okay, since I've posted, I have dropped the scarzone out completly. That was making my face burn, and have a weird feeling to it, such as not even being able to open my mouth fully. The flakiness is GONE... so one thing is eliminated. I didn't know Loreall Infallible would be that bad for my face, and honestly it doesn't break me out at all. I will switch foundations though. I've been using that one for about a year now though, but Im going to look into the others. Thanks for that advice. I'll switch to the Liquid Purpose as well. I don't really have oily skin anymore either... but Cetaphil works fine for now because I don't really wear foundation during the summer unless its really required...

Has anyone ever tried Tea Tree Oil on their face? Just wondering...

Also.... I'm going to the derm for the first time ever. As soon as I can too, since we are going on vacation very shortly and don't want to conflict with that. I'm just going to tell him my story and make him aware that I am on this regimen. Honestly, I do like this regimen. It has cleared me up.... its the marks that leave me thinking my complexion is horrible. I'll see what he can say about those redmarks and how we can get those fading quickly. I've had them for several months and they really have cleared up.. but i think the process on those has slowed down.

Thanks for much for your help and support, guys!!

I would just like to say that it took me six to eight months to clear.

If I had given up at 3 months, I'd still have a face full of pimples right now.

I had tried everything, prescription and otherwise, and I knew that BP was my last hope, so I never gave up.

I still follow the Clear Skin Regimen, ocasionally incorporating AHA moisturizers for skin tone and exfoliation. I am not a believer in the new face peels and home microdermabrasion kits that everyone is now using - too irritating for BP therapy. I follow the CSR exactly as given. Like I said, when I need extra exfoliation, I just incorporate an AHA moisturizer into the regime.

It works. For some of us longer than others.

At eight months I was almost totally clear, but honestly, after the first full year, all pimples were gone.

I'm glad I stuck it out. It's a wonderful program - oh and I had cysts on my jaw area which is not supposed to be cleared by BP, but guess what, it totally cleared them as well! This, after suffering my whole life with acne.

This program is awesome.

...OOPS! Should have read"

It works. For some of us IT TAKES LONGER than others.

I don't have any regimen suggestions [i know, I'm useless] but baby, you're beautiful. Don't lose hope, I promise you it will get better.

[:

I'm here if you'd ever like to talk.

I'm fourteen, so I know what you mean.

yeah your very pretty already when this acne gets cleared up your gonna be even more beautiful so stick to it!!!!!!!!! and it will work out!!!!!!!! i started strugling with acne when i was in 7th grade and iam finally cleared just stick to the regimen and your time to have beautifull skin will come i also recommed gettin proactive its really helped me but it is expensive but its a great investment

good luck

lots of love if ya wanna talk email me at amsimissyou@yahoo.com or instant message me at amsimissyou

annalise~!

Hi,

First off, you are a very pretty girl. So yeah you have some skin problems now but once those are done with, a beutiful mug lays behind it.

Secondly, I caution that anything you put on your face that is causing constant redness to stop! What put me into full flared Rosacea was doing the same thing your doing, treating aggresively because I just wanted to get rid of the damn acne ASAP.

Things like this take time, once you realise that you are halfway there. Be gentle with your skin if it is causing you irritation. Also make sure to read as much as you can before putting extra stuff on your face. I wish the best of luck to you!