Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sundance32

~Kristen's Accutane Journey~ DONE

Day 60

So good news bad news.

Good news is that my derm upped my dose to 40mg!!! YEYEYEYEYEY!!!!

Bad news is that I can't get it until Monday :( So I will be without pills Friday (today) Sat and Sun. Hopefully I can get to the pharmacy on Monday!

But I am PSYCHED about the 40mg! Hopefully this will really help clear me...my skin is actually not looking too dreadful right now. I have a cyst on my right cheek though :doubt: but other than that nothing else to report!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Kristen

Congrats! 40 mg is what I am starting with, although I am going to ask my derm to write me a Rx for 60 so I can start accumulating extra pills. I brought it up at my last appt and he was like, "well.. maybe.. I never thought of doing it that way". So we'll see what happens. Then after my 1st month he's going to up me to 65 or 70. Should be sometime next week that I start!! I'll keep you posted. Have a great weekend!

Hey Kristen! Good luck with the 40mg! Sounds like you're starting to clear so I'm sure things will just get better and better with the higher dose. Good luck! :)

Tanya

Day 63-

So after skipping 3 days I started on 40mg and haven't noticed any real differences. The one thing that makes me wonder if this medicine is even WORKING is that I haven't experienced ANY kind of dryness at all on my face. I don't really even need to use a facial moisturizer because I don't have dry skin. I hear everyone talking about how dry their face is and how it flakes and peels etc...my face is not dry at all...which I GUESS is good for right now but I'd rather know that the medicine was actually working. :doubt: Any thoughts on this?

I have a HUGE cyst on my left temple and am getting over 2 large cysts on both cheeks :mad: Annoying. I went to a party over the weekend where lots of pictures were taken and I was nervous how my face would look and it actually doesn't look TOO bad. The cyst on my right cheek REALLY showed up though...when you look at my face that's the only thing you can really look at :doubt: so that's real frustrating since I was around a lot of new people...who now probably have a bad impression of me.

I still have tons of skin colored bumps around my chin that won't seem to go away. Forehead has a few bumps - around my nose looks pretty good - and the other side of my chin (the side without the skin colored bumps) looks pretty good. I'm using neosporin on the red marks every day and night and I think they are starting to go down. Still using BP on pimples that come up.

Side effects are fine - lips are dry as usual but nothing Dr. Dan's doesn't fix! Back aches have almost gone away...headaches are completely gone...and I think that's it! I hope being on 40mg will actually DO something with my skin.

Alyssa- I WISH I had started with 40!! I am jealous - but not of your situation...omg if you don't start it asap I will go find that derm and SCREAM AT HIM!!!! This has been such a process for you...I feel so bad!!! Keep me posted!!!!

Tanya- HI! Thanks for checking up on me ...I have been kind of MIA here but I'm trying to come back and hopefully post some pics soon enough.

Time4Highselfesteem- Thanks stopping by - good luck on your course...try not to be too nervous!! I was freaking out the first week...but once I calmed down I realized that things weren't that bad!!

Have a great night..

Kristen

Aww I hope you had fun at the party :)

Don't worry, i'm sure that cyst will be gone soon, and let's hope 40mg is more effective for you!

Nick

Hi Kristen! I don't think you have to worry that your skin hasn't gotten dry. I haven't experienced really dry skin either (I occasionally get a flakey/dry area on my face and then it goes away) but I know that accutane is definitely working.

And don't even worry about the party. I highly doubt that people at the party would notice your cyst - they would notice YOU and what a great person you are! Hang in there, Kristen. You're gonna start noticing great results soon.

T

Yo chicky!! Starting tomorrow!!! I am picking up the prescription from my derm's Kenmore office tomorrow. He called me tonight and said he was printing it out right now and would leave it with his nurse, and he told me her name, but in the midst of all my excitedness I forgot it already! Oh well!! So unless he forgets to leave the Rx with her, I am definitely starting manana!! I'll keep ya posted. Started new journal tonight, link is below. Feel free to show some Beantown love :cool: TTYL

thanks kristen, i am starting to calm down today. i hope this works to! i am sure it will at 4omg for you. I am the same way about pics. i always feel so insecure when people take them. i usually don't like how they look especially those camera phones!

Day 69-

I've been a little MIA here recently!!! But with the holiday weekend I wasn't around too much! Anyways...

Skin is doing okay. I don't know though...I'm in the 3rd month and I just don't see the kind of improvement everyone else talks about. My skin is still bad...still lots and lots of clogged pores/blackheads etc. I still get cysts...and I have these bumps around my chin (and now 2 on my mouth) that are just sitting there and have been there FOREVER and don't seem to go away. I'm really frustrated with everything and I feel like my skin is not improving at all. It's just staying the same. I'm only 8 days into being on 40mg so I am hoping that things improve within the next 20 days or so...or else I'm going to ask my derm to push me to an even higher dose.

I just want my face to be clear :cry:

Side effects are fine. I barely even notice anything. My face hasn't been dry in all 68 days (which I find the weirdest part of all since my derm warned me about how dry it would be).

Anyone else in my similar situation or were recently in my situation? Anything would be helpful. :cry:

My routine is very normal - I wash my face with Cetaphil, put BP on problem spots, neosporin on red marks, and I use Aveeno Ultra-Calming lotion for my face. I use mineral makeup during the day as well. And I wash again at night and put nothing on my face at night.

Tanya - It's good to hear that you haven't experienced too much dryness either. I'm still nervous that it's even working since I've barely noticed any kind of improvement.

Alyssa - YEY!!!!!! You are finally starting!!! Once I finish posting I am going to check out your log!! I'm so excited for you! Hopefully you'll get great results!

Time 4 - Pictures are the WORST!!! I hate them - I think that's what I am looking forward to the most - looking good in pictures. I went away this weekend and we took some pics and I ended up deleting almost all of them because my face looked AWFUL in all of them...especially next to everyone with perfectly clear skin.

Dalmation - If you google Dr. Dan's cortibalm there is a page where you print off and give to your pharmacist and they can order it for you!! I did that and ordered 2 to start with. I highly highly recommend you try it - it works SO well!!!

Hope everyone had a good labor day holiday...

Kristen

Hey Kristin,

Just seeing how you're doing/ I"m not sure if your eczema has gone away yet, but my doc recommended that I use neutrogena hand lotino and aquaphore for my arms and it has worked great! Hope all is well.

hey kristin,

just give the 40mgs time..i think it may work for you. but if it doesn't you can always up the dose. i am sorry you are not seeing results...some don't till after there course. supporting ya! i use bp even though i am on accutane and i think it helps...

Day 70

I can't believe I am on day 70 already. Too bad my skin doesn't show it :( I'm getting really really frustrated. My boyfriend commented on my skin today...he said that it hasn't gotten worse...but it hasn't gotten better either. :cry: It was pretty hard to hear that coming from him. I, myself, know that things haven't improved...but it's harder hearing it from someone who looks at you everyday. I wish my camera would take better pictures so I could show you all what I mean. I'll try and take some more tonight and see how they come out.

My face is still very bumpy - lots and lots of clogged pores and bumps everywhere. They aren't red...but they are annoying. I just want my skin to improve. I have tons of red marks but those are the least of my worries right now. I have another new pimple forming near my left temple...I've had a HUGE cyst on my left temple for about a week and a half now...it's slowly going down.

Side effects - none really. I feel fine...no dry skin, no achy joints, lips are fine with chapstick.

IS THIS EVEN WORKING?!?!?!?!?!!?

you may need a higher dose. but also my derm says that people often don't see results until month 3 which you are in now.. so if you don't see results this month, you might need to be on 60mg. sorry this has been fruitless for you. sending some hope your way. Abby

Booooo :wall: Definitely ask for a higher dosage if the 40 mg does nothing for you this month. Don't ask for a higher dosage, demand it! I am so sorry, I wish there was something I could do to help. If you ever need to vent, feel free to PM me.

PS - whatever happened to Ben??!!

I have NO idea what happened to Ben. He just fell off the face of the earth! I hope he's doing well though.

Sorry I've been a bad poster - it was my birthday this weekend so I was a little busy!! :)

Hey Alyssa - my friends took me to see Joey and Maria's Comedy Wedding at the Matrix (bottom of the Roxy)...have you ever seen it? It was HYSTERICAL!! So so so funny!!!!

ohhhh and I dyed my hair this weekend too - it's SO dark!! I used to have lightish brown hair with blondish highlights and now my hair is practically BLACK like britney spears style! It's a little too dark for my liking ...but I hope it lightens a little and I might actually go a little lighter next time.

I'll see if my friends posted some pics from my birthday and I'll try and get one on here...unfortunately...the dark hair really washes me out (since I'm not tan cause I've been good and not been in the sun/tanning!!) but it's okay cause when I am off tane I can be tan again !!!

I'll give a skin update a little later hopefully!

Kristen

Kristen I dyed my hair dark a few weeks ago! Before that, the color sounded like your old color too. Dark hair is wayyyyy better. More mysterious ;)

No I have never seen that show. I will have to look into it! Hope you had a great birthday. Mine's in 2 months. Grrr another birthday. See ya!

Day 78

Hi everyone! It's finally Thursday!! So I've been on 40mg almost 20 days and I guess the only difference I have noticed is being a tad dryer on my face. Nothing to stress about though. Like I've said before in previous posts...my skin is NO WHERE NEAR what I would call dry. I was thinking today that my skin was MUCH dryer when I was on duac/retin-a. It was flaking and peeling all the time. Maybe my skin got tough from that and now it's like "This is nothing!!" It's just so weird to not have dry skin - I feel like that is the main side effect and I should be seeing dryness to KNOW that the drug is working. I might ask my derm when I go next.

Lips might be a little dryer too...I just need to put chapstick on them more often. The eczema on my left hand is starting to flare up again. Last night it was burning and bright red. But today it doesn't look bad. My derm said it would probably come and go.

I read a post the other day about someone who had just finished accutane and they said something that really made me feel better. He said that for the first 2 months or so his skin was very neutral...wasn't getting worse, but wasn't getting better...and I really feel like that has been my case for the first 2.5 months. He said that he finally started to see noticeable results more towards the 3rd month. So, I am REALLY hoping that this is the case for me as well and I start to see some noticeable results. :cry:

Alyssa- Dark hair is WAY better - I love my hair dark now. The whole blond/highlights thing wasn't working for me anymore. I haven't had dark hair since middle school! Hope everything is going well with you - thanks so much for reading my log!!! :)

Hope everyone is having a great day!!

Kristen

Hey Kristen

I'm having the same problem you are right now. I'm entering month 3, and still breaking out. And it is very frustrating. I was hoping I would be clear right now. I'm sorry to hear you're going through it too..

But i'd like to wish you good luck. I hope we can both clear up soon.

Day 79-

Got a REAL nice compliment from my boyfriend today. He said that my skin looked really good and that my skin tone looked more normal. :D So that's a little exciting to hear!!! Since he is very very critical. It does look pretty good today - although I did wake up with a scab on a pimple on my chin that wasn't there last night (the pimple wasn't there last night I mean). So it was a little strange to go to bed and wake up to something already scabbed over?

Eczema on my hand is coming back...just moisturizing it a lot to hopefully keep it down. My joints have been a little rickety recently. I work out a ton so it could just be from excessive exercise recently.

Kanmi- Thanks for the post. It is so frustrating...but don't worry you are JUST entering month 3. I have just finished month 3 and am JUST starting to see little improvement. ANd now you are on 80mg so that should help things too. I would like to be bumped up to at LEAST 60mg next time. Stay positive!!

Thanks for reading :) Have a great weekend!

Kristen

Hey Kristen. I know, it's very frustrating. Actually, my face isn't dry. It's very strange. But I wasn't oily to begin with because before accutane I was on spironolactone, and I never had oily skin on that medicine. Actually right now, I don't have any pimples or cysts. Just tons of clogged pores and blackheads like you said you have. And healing scabs of course. And red marks. And tons of scars .. which are looking even worse because of accutane :(

I started off on 40 mgs. And now i'm on 80, so hopefully i'll start clearing up soon and not experience another IB.

I hope you have a great weekend as well!

-Jaymi

Day 83-

Hi everyone...thought I'd update a little bit. My chin is starting to get a little dryer...it flakes a little when I put makeup on. Around my mouth tends to flake a little too when I stretch my mouth open...mainly to eat. I'm still getting pimples around my mouth which I HATE. I have 2 new ones on my cheek near my mouth too. Jawline and chin still have tons of raised bumps/clogged pores. Forehead is okay - 2 small skin colored bumps and a couple blackheads.

Derm appt. is next wednesday so I *HOPING* to get bumped up to 80mg or AT LEAST 60mg...since I have been making NO progress since Month 1 and I just started my 4th month.

Hope everyone is doing well...

Kristen