Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sami

Acne scar removal

Hi, i have bad scars which are red and deep and some which are just little red flat blobs which just wont go away.

I am taking erthromycin tablets, now i mainy only get pimples but my scars are the main problem.

Does anyone know what i should do?

My derm appointment is in 1 months time, she is thinking of putting me on rossertine. Should i suggest any forms of acne removal?

Any help is much appreciated and also any comments about eurothromicycin/ rossertine.

Thanku

:X

Hi

There is a knew laser available for treating both active acne and scars. It is called the Smoothbeam the success has been tremendous. There may be a Derm in your area that has one.

Let me know if there is any interest.

hi laserguy.

Thankyou for your advise, it feels so good to hear there may be a solution. I will mension this to my derm. and let you know the outcome. Thanku

Hi

What the laser does is two things. First for acne, it dries out the subaceus gland which in turn will stop the acne. For acne scars it has been used to rebuild the collagen within the pit of the scar. This may take several treatments.

I have had the laser treatment but it was for fine lines around my eyes. It worked great by rebuilding collagen and pulling out the lines. :X

Laserguy,

Why do you call yourself laserguy? Do you perform lasers yourself or just have a thing for lasers or... :?: :?: Just curious--LAET

Or he could be a potential Bond villain! You know, one of those bad guys who is in the position to kill Bond on the spot, but instead uses a painfully slow laser that allows Bond time to escape. :wink:

Try a product called Artecoll for those deep scars. It is a permanent filler now only available in Canada, Mexico, and Europe. Cost is expensive though at $500 per injection. Should be available in the US early 2003.

Good Luck 8)

Hi Jen, I did actually have the artecoll implanted 6 months ago in Montreal by Dr. Jacques Albert while visiting your country. It really helped smooth out some old acne scars and I like it because it is a permanent filler composed of tiny PMMA beads that bind with your own natural collagen over time. The only problem is that it is a bit expensive. Also, how is your dermanew regimen going, sounds like another revolutionary product.

8)

hi i have had one smoothbeam treatment and it has helped my cystic acne alot. I'm going to have another one in about 2 weeks. My whole face used to be red and now i can see my skin pigment again. Lots of disgusting scars though. i am really disfigured. I don't know if it helps any with scars?? or not??

i have to do accutaine anyway for my chest and back, but it works good if you only have acne on your face. Well no actually they can treat your back too, but it's just kinda expensive to have so many treatments...

Dsaenz2002, if you have cystic acne scars you may want to consider dermabrasion or dermaplaning. I had the same problem. I can say had because I would say it is now 95% cured. After numerous discussions and medications with dermatologists I finally went to a plastic surgeon. I learned that cystic acne is really a skin defect. The sebaceous glands are severely narrowed and thus become clogged very easily. The clogging usually happens well below the surface and thus results in large cysts. I found out that for me dairy products were triggering the severe breakouts. I stopped drinking milk and cut down on cheese (because no one can really give up cheese, can they?) and the cystic acne all but stopped. I still had some acne but the major cystic stuff had stopped. But the damage was already done. I had deep deep scars. So the plastic surgeon felt that the only real solution would be the radical one - dermabrasion or in his case dermaplaning. He actually developed the dermaplaning tool which is a small rotating disc that slices of layers of skin. It is supposed to leave the skin smoother than dermabrasion. In addition since you are removing layers of skin, it actually got rid of the narrowed sebaceous gland skin. At any rate, I've had this done 3 times. Each time there is a radical increase. It is radical surgery and you will be put to sleep. The operations last anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. You will not look good after surgery. If you ever seen the movie "Hellraiser 2" picture Frank before he has gotten his skin back. But after about a week you will have new fresh skin. Often times insurance companies will pay for the operation because the surgeon considers this a medical condition. In my case they paid for it all 3 times, at about $5000 a pop.

Looking back I would say it was definitely worth it. Lots of pain and a fair amount of down time but the increase in confidence more than makes up for it. If you have any questions feel free to email me. I went through this whole mess and I know what it feels like.