Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pff..

sculptura or restylane/articoll

Went to another (different) cosmetic surgery for filler advice.

The recommendations (for filling up my cheeks and around lower half of face/slight nasal labial lines) are the following: sculptra (2x injections spaced 6 weeks apart. lasts roughly 2 yrs. results over time.) or Restylane (3mls. last roughly 6 months. instant results) with the option to have a permanent filler articoll. (lasts roughtly 10 yrs) if i like the results after the restylane has been absorbed. (i asked about whether articoll needed 'cutting out' as some ppl have suggested. He said that articoll is 'injected out' not cut. Broken down with steriod injections).

Im trying to make an informed decision..its hard.

Any thoughts on what is better?

Would particularly like to know from people who have had either one, and, even better, both.

anyone?

This is what I would do if I were you. I think you are getting fantastic results from isolagen so I would wait. Keep in mind we can always nit pick ourselves to death for perfection. No such thing though. Instead of plumping up your cheeks I would strive for an even skin tone complexion with the different products and procedures out there. I don't think that would take very long for you and I don't think your skin tone is that bad at all. Start with the least costly and work your way up. After you do this you should pursue if needed some of the products that plump up cheeks. I would start with temporary products first so you can see how they will work for you and provide a good harmonic balance to your face. And by all means get someone that specialize in doing dermal fillers or has done several with excellent results. It will be hard as the surgeons out there want to body sculp or do other exciting procedures where they can garner $2000/hr.

i wouldnt go for saline for cheek enhancement tho, its not thick enough, so didnt ask and wasnt offered.

I seem to have some fat loss on my cheeks, i dont know why. When i had co2 my cheeks filled out and over time slowely just seemed to flatten much more than b4 i had the treatment..dont know if this is mearly aging or a side effect of the laser. wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Im leaning towards sculptra because it aids your body to grow collegen and if used correctly produces some great results. (its fda approved, but only for HIV patients, for fat loss. Its freely available in europe). Im going to get an appointment with a top cosmetic derm to ask his opinion. Id rather have a number of consultations before i jump into something ill regret.

Apparently its ability to produce excellent results is based on technique rather than the product itself. If injected badly it has a tendency to lump, or can be overfilled. It goes into a deeper dermal layer to isolagen so wont effect isolagens performance on the scarring. Also, like isolagen, results happen slowely over time because of collegen growth, so full results are not seen until 4 months.

Tnx for your comment romulus. I know we often have a tendency to nit pick..i certainly do. I want to combat dif things on dif levels tho. The isolagen for rolling scars, sculptra or similar for cosmetic enhancement as i have fat loss on my cheeks, and also work on my skin texture.

If i find the right derm I think its worth doing.

I've just started coming back to this board after a big break.. I get into it then I get overwhelmed with the info and give up...

Anyway Pff, I know what you mean about the fat loss.. I have something very very similar. I had Hydrafill injections ..first on the left cheek to try it out and then I went back for the right cheek. The left cheek was done in January and the effects are still there... the right cheek was done a couple of months ago.. it does seem a little overfilled in places on the right cheek.. but it is much much better than having the 'hollows' there....

I am pleased with the result overall..especially on my left cheek. The lady I went to did make me feel confident and is experienced with the needle ( I think that's very important). If you're interested in more info just pm me.. where do you live?

I need your advice about doing Isolagen..but will leave that for another post.

damn...just found out from Dr.Chu that there is a conflict if you use a filler after isolagen. I should wait for 6 - 9 months before having anything like that done as it "could inhibit collagen production and thus the final end result will be worse"..OMG...

DONT YOU JUST FEEL LIKE SOMETIMES LIFE IS SUCH A B!TCH!

How could it turn out worse!?! what on earth could happen!?! Well..im not dumb enough to have a filler done to find out but im feeling suitably crap at this moment. I'm sure it will pass..but ARGHHHHHHHHHHHhhhh!!!

i wouldnt go for saline for cheek enhancement tho, its not thick enough, so didnt ask and wasnt offered.

I seem to have some fat loss on my cheeks, i dont know why. When i had co2 my cheeks filled out and over time slowely just seemed to flatten much more than b4 i had the treatment..dont know if this is mearly aging or a side effect of the laser. wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

pfff: well, I never knew having chubby cheeks was a good thing. I was always teased for it. No matter how skinny I get, my cheeks are still chubby. in fact, my whole face is.

I know for some people of caucasian descent, fat loss in the cheeks is totally natural as a side effect of aging. How old are you? A famous (and extreme) example is maria shriver, aka the terminator's wife. I'm sure she never had acne scars or co2 laser done. She had almost chipmunk cheeks in her younger days, and now she's all cheek bones. Eunice shriver had the same thing.

you can look into cheek implants if you want chubby cheeks. I believe Paris hilton has them. I don't know how permanent they are though. But I can tell you, prominent cheeks have only come into fashion very recently. less than 10 years ago, defined cheeks with prominent cheek bones were the fashion. So don't rush to any decisions.

tnx chocolat.

I wouldnt mind so much really if my skin was smooth.

Unfortunately my cheeks just look flat to me and in turn makes the scarring look worse and my face look tired.

Tnx for the pep talk tho..its really appreciated :)

I'll just wait it out and see what i can do in 6 or so months from now =]

btw..im pretty sure your chubby cheeks are really cute! People tease others for anything!!!!! its so dumb!

tnx chocolat.

I wouldnt mind so much really if my skin was smooth.

Unfortunately my cheeks just look flat to me and in turn makes the scarring look worse and my face look tired.

Tnx for the pep talk tho..its really appreciated :)

I'll just wait it out and see what i can do in 6 or so months from now =]

btw..im pretty sure your chubby cheeks are really cute! People tease others for anything!!!!! its so dumb!

i don't know how cute my chubby cheeks are, but they can easily look puffy with just a little

water retention :evil:

And believe me, scars do not look better on chubby cheeks. Having fat cheeks is not really the same as

a fat injection or filler. The skin unfortunately does not work like a balloon. On the other hand, having

fillers or fat injection into a particular scar won't puff up the cheeks in general.

you mentioned you were moving to an Asian country on some other thread. (Was that you?) What country are you moving to? Also, do you feel isolagen to be a breakthrough procedure? Many people are

excited about it, but it is currently unavailable in the US.

i think chubby cheeks are nicer than flat.. but i guess its all about self perception. :)

yes moving to s.e.asia. Initially im moving out to thailand now, in around 3 months.(all those gorgeous people..my self esteem is gonna take a bashing me thinks :P) Im lucky that dr.chu says he knows someone out there who is a good derm. I may eventually be moving to philippines, but for now bangkok.

good things come to those who wait pff... plus your pictures look good, seem like you came a long way. hang tough sweety, didn't know you were asian like me, or perhaps you just like living in asia. hehe. anyways, patients is a virtue or actually in america i saw a big sign that says impatients is a virtue. lolz, good luck with everything. we're all rooting for you. also did you have icepicks and boxcars scars? if so how did you treat them?

i think chubby cheeks are nicer than flat.. but i guess its all about self perception. :)

yes moving to s.e.asia. Initially im moving out to thailand now, in around 3 months.(all those gorgeous people..my self esteem is gonna take a bashing me thinks :P) Im lucky that dr.chu says he knows someone out there who is a good derm. I may eventually be moving to philippines, but for now bangkok.

pfff: don't worry, ALOT of asians have crappy skin. it's a myth asian women have perfect poreless skin. Some do, but alot don't. I for one never had perfect poreless skin, even when I was young and my skin was "good". And there are a bunch like me, I ain't that special :D

As for chubby cheeks, you ahve no idea how many times I wished I had cheek bones "sharp enough to cut ice". yeah, i guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

And right now, having flat cheeks and cheek bones are very much the beauty standard right now in asia. So they'll be jealoused of you :lol:

Of course i dont believe your nice words ;)...just i still have a nasty habit of not accepting good comments (but lingering on the negative ones). MUST BREAK CYCLE..MUST BREAK CYCLE..:P

But honestly, its appreciated.

Im not asian Simply, im caucasian. I'm going out there to work for a while and see how much of a culture shock ill get :P.

Ive lived overseas before (america and s.america and europe.)but have always wanted to go to s.e.asia, so now that im single and have no ties im taking the plunge. I have some friends in philippines, but its not as easy for me to get work there, so thats y thailand. im excited and nervous! Just really wish (like all of us) that i didnt have scars. My filipino friends all have skin like babies...i feel pretty much like the ugly duckling next to them.

Ah well like they say its all about how you make people feel right.. i mean..i could be drop dead gorgeous but have no real friends..(well thats one way of looking at it XD)

Anway..tnx guys :D

did you have icepicks and boxcars scars? if so how did you treat them?

Of course i dont believe your nice words ;)...just i still have a nasty habit of not accepting good comments (but lingering on the negative ones). MUST BREAK CYCLE..MUST BREAK CYCLE..:P

But honestly, its appreciated.

Im not asian Simply, im caucasian. I'm going out there to work for a while and see how much of a culture shock ill get :P.

Ive lived overseas before (america and s.america and europe.)but have always wanted to go to s.e.asia, so now that im single and have no ties im taking the plunge. I have some friends in philippines, but its not as easy for me to get work there, so thats y thailand. im excited and nervous! Just really wish (like all of us) that i didnt have scars. My filipino friends all have skin like babies...i feel pretty much like the ugly duckling next to them.

Ah well like they say its all about how you make people feel right.. i mean..i could be drop dead gorgeous but have no real friends..(well thats one way of looking at it XD)

Anway..tnx guys :D

did you have icepicks and boxcars scars? if so how did you treat them?

mainly rolling scars. Have boxscars on my jawline and dr.chu is treated those for me with tca cross. The more stubborn rolling scars are being treated with tca cross also. keeping my fingers crossed for good results. :pray:

that sounds totally exciting, to have a job that would allow you to live overseas. may i ask what field your job is in? The only thing i can think of is consulting or military. You don't have to get specific if you feel uncomfy about it :D

hah np. I'll even give u the full picture :P

well its not that my work has taken me overseas...its just that my life has.

Different situations and also my family are dotted all over.

Studied in switzerland @ 16. Married @ 19, and lived in nassau and florida. Then back to the UK. Just over a year and a half ago I went to live with my bro and his family in Argentina after a nasty break up. Recently came back to UK to work and sort out stuff (house sale etc)

So, my travelling has had nothing to do with work..just circumstances. Work-wise i taught Life Drawing then moved into CG Art.

As for Asia, im sick of london and i miss teaching, so decided to apply my love of travelling and my teaching skills into teaching english there. Just have to get a CELTA which ill do in thailand.

And thats it really...

p.s anyone know how florida guy got on with his sculpta injections? I looked through some old posts and he said he had them done. Sent him a pm..but no reply as yet :/

for those of you who have had restalyne or any other dermal fillers, was one syringe of the stuff sufficient enough to plump your scars?

hah np. I'll even give u the full picture :P

well its not that my work has taken me overseas...its just that my life has.

Different situations and also my family are dotted all over.

Studied in switzerland @ 16. Married @ 19, and lived in nassau and florida. Then back to the UK. Just over a year and a half ago I went to live with my bro and his family in Argentina after a nasty break up. Recently came back to UK to work and sort out stuff (house sale etc)

So, my travelling has had nothing to do with work..just circumstances. Work-wise i taught Life Drawing then moved into CG Art.

As for Asia, im sick of london and i miss teaching, so decided to apply my love of travelling and my teaching skills into teaching english there. Just have to get a CELTA which ill do in thailand.

And thats it really...

p.s anyone know how florida guy got on with his sculpta injections? I looked through some old posts and he said he had them done. Sent him a pm..but no reply as yet :/

i must say that sounds amazing. It looks like you lived all over the world. isn't nassau in the bahamas? Anyway, it certainly sounds like you enjoyed it, or I hope you did! So are you an artist? That makes two professional artists on acne.org I know of. I guess i'm one of those who are fascinated by poeple who make their living by art. Do you have a website where you show your art work?

I don't know how much you'll like Asia though. All the places you being at are very developed, but large parts of Asia (except for Japan) are very very underdeveloped, particularly SE asia. I hope you like people, since there are lots and lots of people in Asia.

If you do plan on getting dermatological treatments while in Asia, may I suggest Japan? Their standards are supposedly as high or higher than even Europe. However, I don't know how dependable the other countries are. This is not to sound derogatory, but it's a fact that medical standards in most of Asia just aren't up to par.

Good luck on your move! :dance: