Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mild2moderateacne

question about derm appointment and raised scars

Hi, my first question is for a derm appointment do you have to be refered from your family doctor or can you just call them up and schedule an appointment? My second question is for a raised scar, Hypertrophic scar which treatment is better, pulse lazer dye or cortizone shots? Or is there any other treatments that would flatten the scar? Thanks!

good question

I want to find a derm but I don't even have a doctor or health insurance or any of that stuff so i'm curious as well as to how to get a dermatologist to look at you and what the average cost is

try everything. it depends on your insurance, do you have HMO or PPO? sometimes you must go to a gp first for a referral, other times not. or you can just go to a derm and pay out of pocket, anyone can do that, of course. find an experienced derm who does pulsed dye/vbeam and see if he thinks that will work on your hypertrophic. ive seen two derms about one ive got and they both said they didnt think vbeam would do squat. that was certainly not the answer i wanted. it cant hurt however to do it so i may just try it anyway and see what happens. cortisone shots can work but you might need several. also if they give you too much cortisone the scar may sink in, but there is hope as a lot of times those go level again in 6 months. its worth taking a conservative approach with the cortisone so it doesnt become atrophic. im wondering if needling will work on hypertrophic scars.

You can make an appointment directly with a derm, but if you want it to be covered, your insurance provider will almost certainly require you to get a referral from a GP. They're the ones to ask, though.

if i made an appointment with a derm without referrel the appointment will not be covered by the insurance, correct? But what about the procedure such as cortisone shots or pulse laser dye?