Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
falco_amadeus

When can you say Accutane is official on you!?

It says that a accutane treatment is 16-20 weeks at a 1mg/kg! So does this means you can only tell if the medication worked once you hit that cumulative dose of 120-150mg/kg not earlier?

Also how come I read so much about accutane and it no where said that you might have to take the whole course and only after the course you may start to clear? Anybody got any links to this? And also I read nowhere that people stay on the meds longer then 6 months except this board lol

It says that a accutane treatment is 16-20 weeks at a 1mg/kg! So does this means you can only tell if the medication worked once you hit that cumulative dose of 120-150mg/kg not earlier?

Also how come I read so much about accutane and it no where said that you might have to take the whole course and only after the course you may start to clear? Anybody got any links to this? And also I read nowhere that people stay on the meds longer then 6 months except this board lol

I have been using Accutane for a couple of months and it has cleared my skin pretty quickly so you don't need to wait until the end of the course to see if it is having an effect. However unfortunately there is no guarantee that once you are done with the treatment the acne wont come back. Its different for everyone. Re length of time: my understanding is that the idea is that people should get to a cumulative dose of 120 to 125 mg/kg (or up to 150mg/kg if acne is particularly severe). If people take higher daily doses, they will reach this cumulative limit more quickly than someone taking a lower daily dose. However, higher daily doses are linked to greater side effects. So there is a trade off to be had. This is why some people may be on the drug for a long time, even longer than 6 months. However, I think most derms try to keep it to under 6 months, especially for women, because of the pregnancy risk the longer the treatment continues.

I'm have 37 days to go (I'm on a 6 months course) and only like 90% clear...I hope I'll get the 100% anytime soon :|

Just started month 6 and I'm on the same boat like 90% clear. I doubt this last month will do much man I'm so worried :wall:

you think that's bad? I went to my derm and finally got to see a PA instead of him. The PA actually answewd my questions about my dose...she said since I weigh about 150, I should ideally be on about 80 mg once a day for 6 months...not too bad, right?

WELL. Consider this. It's been 4 months, I started out at 30 mg, then had such bad joint pain, I dropped down to 20 mg. So basically, she said at this rate, I will be on for about 2 years before I reach my cumulative goal. 2 YEARS!!!!!!!! WHAT??!!??!!

I told her to bump me back up to 30 mg, and will try to tolerate 10 mg more per month so I can get this crap over with sometime this decade!! good god.

I also started out at a lower dosage, 40mg/day, but bumped it up the second month. Side effects increased, but I am dying a month and a half into 80mg/day. Dry eyes, scaly patches of skin, and I am shedding more hair than normal. :cry: I haven't gone bald yet, but I am so worried that I think I might ask to do my last month (5) at 40 or 60mg. Sorry, girlies like me want clear skin, but they don't want to look like Charlie Brown The Lizard.

you think that's bad? I went to my derm and finally got to see a PA instead of him. The PA actually answewd my questions about my dose...she said since I weigh about 150, I should ideally be on about 80 mg once a day for 6 months...not too bad, right?

WELL. Consider this. It's been 4 months, I started out at 30 mg, then had such bad joint pain, I dropped down to 20 mg. So basically, she said at this rate, I will be on for about 2 years before I reach my cumulative goal. 2 YEARS!!!!!!!! WHAT??!!??!!

I told her to bump me back up to 30 mg, and will try to tolerate 10 mg more per month so I can get this crap over with sometime this decade!! good god.

hmm well my first month i was on 40mg a day. then the 2nd month it went up to 80mg and i stayed that way from month two to month seven. I just took my last pill two days ago and i'm really happy with the results! People who havent seen me in a while are complementing me on my skin and asking me how i did it. I think its worth and and you guys should stick with it.