Clear all

Biggest Mistakes People Make to Treat Acne:

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/22/2006 8:20 pm

Part I: Avoiding Harmful Products

When Buying Products

Don't Buy Cleansers That:

1. Contain harsh surfectants like sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate.

2. Are in bar form. These contain harsh cleansing agents like sodium cocoate, and the ingredients that keep them in bar form can be absorbed into the skin to clog pores. Also, many bar soaps have alkaline pH levels, which actually encourages bacterial growth.

3. Are daily scrubs containing uneven particles like walnut . These can tear at the skin and cause irritation.

Look for scrubs with smooth, round, bead-like particles.

4. Contain waxy, pore-clogging thickeners. Products in cream form tend to have these.

5. Contain animal oils*. Animal oils resemble human sebum and can clog pores similarly.

4. Give a "tingly" or "cooling" feeling. That feeling is caused by skin irritants like menthol and camphor.

5. Are medicated. If the medication contains a chemical exfoliant like salicylic acid, the cleanser is almost certain to have too high of a pH (over 4) to allow it to act as an exfoliant. Chances are that the majority of any medictation used in a cleanser will be washed away before having any real effect. If you let a medicated cleanser (either one containing a chemical exfoliant or one containing benzoyl peroxide) sit on the skin in hopes of giving the medications time to penetrate, than chances are you'll also be allowing the cleansing agents time to irritate the skin.

* Emu oil for some reason seems to be an exception according to users of this site.

Don't Buy Toners or Astringents That:

1. Contain drying alcohols, witch hazel, peppermint, or other skin irritants.

2. Contain animal oils. (See "Don't Buy Cleansers That:")

3. Contain rice or corn ingredients, as these can encourage bacterial growth.

Don't Buy Salicylic Acid Products* That:

1. Contain skin irritants like drying alcohols, witch hazel, peppermint, or other skin irritants.

2. Have a pH higher than 4 or else the salicylic acid will not be an effective exfoliant. A good idea of a product's pH can be obtained with pH indicator strips.

3. Contain rice or corn ingredients (See "Don't Buy Toners or Astringents That:")

* Most salicylic acid products are not pH correct, contain irritants, or both.

Don't Buy Benzoyl Peroxide Products:

1. That contain skin irritants.

2. To use in conjunction with prescription retinoids (with the exception of adapalene which is used in Differin). Benzoyl peroxide renders most retinoids unstable and should be applied only in the morning if a prescription retinoid is being used at night.

3. Contain animal oils. (See Don't Buy Cleansers That:")

Don't Buy Tea Tree Oil Products That:

1. Contain skin irritants.

2. Have less than a 5% concentration of tea tree oil, or more than a 15% concentration. Too little tea tree oil is likely to be ineffective, and too much may be irritating. You can, however, buy pure tea tree oil and dilute it, so long as you aim for the right concentration.

3. Contain animal oils. (See Don't Buy Cleansers That:")

Don't Buy Moisturizers That:

1. Are in cream form. (See "Don't Buy Cleansers That:")

3. Contain rice or corn ingredients. (See "Don't Buy Toners or Astringents That:")

4. Contain skin irritants.

Don't Buy Sunscreens That:

1. Are in cream form. (See "Don't Buy Cleansers That:")

3. Contain rice or corn ingredients. (See "Don't Buy Toners or Astringents That:")

4. Do not contain avobenzone, zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mexoryl sx, or tinosorb; the ingredients recognized by the FDA to provide adequate UVA protection.

5. Do not have an SPF of 15 or higher.

6. Contain skin irritants.

In General

1. Don't use products that contain skin irritants. Skin irritants prematurely kill skin cells, littering the skin with more dead skin cells than it can naturally slough off, thus creating a greater risk of clogged pores. Skin irritants also interfere with the skin's healing process, which can result in an increase in bacteria.

Some common skin irritants are:

Alcohols. Ethanol (grain alcohol), denatured alcohol, ethyl alcohol, methanol, benzyl alcohol, isopropyl, and SD alcohol should be avoided. (Exceptions: Ingredients like cetyl alcohol or stearyl alcohol are fatty alcohols. Some alcohols like SD alcohols can be used in small amounts. An ingredient is in a small amount if it appears at the end of an ingredients list).

Ammonia

Arnica

Balm mint

Balsam

Bentonite (can be used in the occasional clay mask, but avoid frequent use or formulations which contain other "actives")

Benzalkonium chloride (if it is one of the main ingredients)

Benzyl Alcohol (if it is one of the main ingredients)

Bergamot

Camphor

Cinnamon

Citrus juices and oils

Clove

Clover blossom

Coriander

Cornstarch

Essential Oils

Eucalyptus

Eugenol

Fennel

Fennel oil

Feverfew

Fir needle

Fragrance (may be listed as "Parfum")

Geranium

Ginger

Grapefruit

Horsetail

Jasmine

Lavender

Lemon

Lemongrass

Lime

Linalool

Marjoram

Melissa (lemon balm)

Menthol, Menthyl Acetate, and Menthyl PCA

Mint

Oak bark

Orange

Oregano

Papaya

Peppermint

Phenol

Rose

Sandalwood oil

Sodium C14-16 olefin sulfate

Sodium lauryl sulfate

TEA-lauryl sulfate

Thyme

Wintergreen

Witch hazel

Ylang-ylang

2. Don't base your use of a product on whether or not it says "non-comedogenic," "oil-free," "hypo-allergenic," "dermatologically tested," and similar terms. These are flashy marketing terms that have no regulations, therefore, they can mean anything. As mentioned earlier, products with waxy thickeners and animal oils (not plant oils) are most likely to clog pores. Mineral sunscreen ingredients like titanium dioxide and zinc oxide can clog pores, though synthetic sunscreens like avobenzone can irritate the skin of certain people and also trigger breakouts. Everyone is different and will be sensitive to different ingredients, so there is no real way of knowing what will or will not clog pores, just what may clog pores. One other thing- acne can take two weeks to form, so if you break out right after starting a product, don't assume that product was the culprit.

3. Don't use specialty products (chemical exfoliants, moisturizers, etc...) that are in jar packaging to minimize air exposure. Oxygen can render certain ingredients unstable. Also, with jar packaging, there is a concern for product contamination. Sunlight can also render certain ingredients unstable, so if you buy a product in clear packaging, be sure to store it in a dark space (such as a medicine cabinet or drawer).

4. Don't assume that the stronger a product (i.e. the higher the concentration of an active ingredient), the more effective it will be. Using a product that is too strong for you may cause irritation that can worsen acne. What is a good strength varies by person.

5. Don't assume that naturally-occurring ingredients are better for your skin. As can be seen by the list of common skin irritants above, there are plenty of ingredients both man-made and naturally-occurring that can be irritating to the skin.

6. Don't touch your face if you can avoid it so as to prevent the spread of contaminants.

7. If you have trouble with inflammatory acne, change your bedding often (once a week), and keep anything that touches your face frequently (like a phone or washcloth) clean and disinfected to prevent the spread of contaminants.

8. Don't use makeup testers on your face to prevent the risk of contamination.

9. Don't apply your moisturizer over areas of your face that are not dry. Applying moisturizer where it is not needed can increase the risk of clogged pores by mixing with excess sebum and "gluing" dead skin cells to the skin's surface.

10. Don't tan. Tanning only temporarily masks acne, damaging the skin in the process, which can actually lead to a worsening of acne. Even if tanning did help, it's not worth the risk of skin cancer, premature aging, cataracts, cellulite, and rosacea associated with unprotected sun exposure.

11. Don't steam the skin or rinse with hot water as this can cause irritation and capillaries to surface. It is best to wash with luke-warm water.

12. Don't give up on a new regimen. You need at the very minimum one month and preferrably two to see results. When using prescription retinoids, you need at least three months.

13. Don't over-scrub the skin as this can cause irritations. It is best to use gentle, circular motions. When drying the face, pat the skin dry as opposed to rubbing it dry.

14. Avoid doing anything to aggravate a pimple. It may be beneficial to pop one provided the pimple is ready to pop, but only apply light pressure. Never squeeze, scratch, or pick at it. If light pressure does not release the contents of a pimple, you will likely worsen it should you increase that pressure.

15. Don't use more than one method of exfoliation at once. For example, don't use a scrub followed by a salicylic acid product, or a salicylic acid product followed by an alpha hydroxy acid product. You risk over-irritating the skin.

16. Don't generously apply products (with the exception of sunscreen, which should be generously applied). Usually only a dime-sized amount / thinly applied layer is all that's needed for the entire face. Over-applying products can be harmful to the skin.

17. Be happy! Who knows, your skin might even get clearer as a result. If not, it's better to have acne and be happy than it is to have acne and wallow in gloom.

Part II: Building a Regimen

Here are some products you could use to help build your own customized regimen, which are also listed in the responses below.

I recommend building a basic regimen that includes at the minimum these steps:

1) Cleansing with Lukewarm Water

2) Exfoliating

3) Disinfecting (If You Have Inflammatory Acne)

4) Moisturizing Dry Areas Only (Nighttime)

5) Applying Sunscreen to All Exposed Areas of Skin (Daytime)

You can also include other steps in your regimen, like the application of toners which don't contain chemical exfoliants (not that toners containing chemical exfoliants shouldn't be used if that's your method of exfoliation) or of retinoids. Also, you don't have to apply all these products at the same time; for example, you can exfoliate as often as twice a day or as little as once every other day. You should, however, cleanse twice daily.

Something I want to make very clear is that I am not advertising a cure for acne. The above mentioned steps follow skin care basics and are beneficial to most people. Subsequently, using a regimen following these steps may result in clear skin, but it may make absolutely no change whatsoever. If you use the wrong products or can't tolerate certain steps like exfoliation or certain types of ingredients like benzoyl peroxide, it might even make your skin worse. If you're looking for a starting point to treating acne or have been following a damaging skin care routine and want to stop, I definately recommend giving such a regimen a chance, but I don't want to give anyone false hope that their acne will disappear from following it. You may have a stubborn case of acne that is beyond the help of over-the-counter treatments, in which case I advise you seek a dermatologist's help. I also want to stress that the treatments I recommend below are not the only decently formulated products out there (though the salicylic acid products I listed are the only ones I know of that are both pH correct and gentle).

Some cleansers you may want to consider are:

Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild Formula

Eucerin Baby Aquaphor Gentle Wash

Eucerin Redness Relief Cleansing Gel

Paula's Choice (any cleanser)

Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash

Some manual scrubs you may want to consider as exfoliants are:

Essential Nutrients Daily Exfoliating Cleanser with Soft Massage Beads

Nivea for Men Energizing Face Scrub (women can use this too)

Some toners (not containing chemical exfoliants) you may want to consider are:

Biotherm Biosensitive Soothing Refreshing Spring Mist

Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion*

Derma E Pycnogenol Facial Toner, Fragrance Free

Nivea Visage Moisturizing Toner

Paula's Choice Toners

*This contains about a 0.5% concentration of salicylic acid at a pH of around 4, making it minimally effective for exfoliation, though you probably won't notice a significant difference in your skin due

Some salicylic acid products you may want to consider as exfoliants are:

Bare Vitamins Skin Rever-Upper (if it really has a pH of 3.8, as the company claimed in an e-mail)

Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Face Lotion

Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Anti-Blemish Daily Moisturizer

Paula's Choice 1% or 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid products*

Serious Skin Care Clarifying Treatment

*Paula's Choice makes by far the best salicylic acid products

Some benzoyl peroxide products you may want to consider as disinfectants are:

Dan's Clear Skin Regimen Gel (2.5%)

Jan Marini Skin Research Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%)

Mary Kay Acne Treatment Gel (5%)

Oxy Balance, Sensitive Skin Acne Treatment, Vanishing Formula (5%)

Paula's Choice Blemish Fighting Solutions (2.5% or 5%)

Persa-Gel 10, Maximum Strength (10%)

Zapzyt 10% Benzoyl Peroxide

Some tea tree oil products you may want to consider as disinfectants are:

Derma E Tea Tree and Antiseptic Cream* (5%)

Desert Essence 100% Pure Australian Tea Tree Oil (diluted; aim for between a 5 and 15% concentration in your mixture)

*This product is in jar packaging, so the vitamin E and other antioxidants won't be stable, but the tea tree oil should work. It is also in cream form, which users may want to be wary of.

Some over-the-counter retinol* products you may want to consider are:

Diacneal with 6.4% Glycolic Acid

Green Cream

Jan Marini Factor-A Lotion

Makeup Artist's Choice Retinol Serum (which comes in clear packaging, so store it in a dark place)

*Products containing retinol do not necessarily produce similar results to prescription retinoid products

Some moisturizers you may want to consider are:

Dove Sensitive Essentials Daytime Lotion (no SPF)

Green Canyon Spa Skin Barrier Serum

Malibu Hemp Moisturizer Body Lotion for Dry Skin

Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Moisture Gel

Zia Natural Skincare Herbal Moisture Gel

Some sunscreens you may want to consider are:

Clinique Super City Block SPF 25 Oil-Free Daily Face Protector

Jan Marini Antioxidant Daily Face Protector

M.A.C. Daily SPF 15 Light Moisture

Neutrogena Active Breathable Sunblocks

Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry-Touch Sunsblocks

Proactiv Solution Oil-Free Moisturizer with SPF 15

QuanHenry, shortzi, rossmore and 13 people liked
MemberMember
(@komodo)

Posted : 06/22/2006 8:23 pm

so i can use differen and BP at the same time?

Yvolo liked
MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/22/2006 8:30 pm

so i can use differen and BP at the same time?

Differin seems to be stable in the presence of benzoyl peroxide, so yes.

MemberMember
(@dark-maniak)

Posted : 06/22/2006 8:59 pm

Nice list of don't's, but what are the do's?

Valerie44, loopdeloop, swilliams2288 and 2 people liked
MemberMember
(@weee)

Posted : 06/22/2006 9:00 pm

all these things don't apply to everyone. everything i use you say is bad, but my skin is and always has been clear.

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/22/2006 9:04 pm

all these things don't apply to everyone. everything i use you say is bad, but my skin is and always has been clear.

They do apply to everyone; some people just don't have the same visible bad reactions that other people do. If your skin is and always has been clear, why are you on this board?

MemberMember
(@weee)

Posted : 06/22/2006 9:05 pm

They do apply to everyone; some people just don't have the same visible bad reactions that other people do. If your skin is and always has been clear, why are you on this board?

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/22/2006 9:10 pm

Dark Maniak said:

Finding a regimen that incorporates effective products and excludes unneccessary skin irritants is a big "do." What not to do is easier to generalize, hence this list of "don't's," but what treatment options work vary by person. You may find this link helpful:

[Removed link]

MemberMember
(@jjred4)

Posted : 06/22/2006 11:02 pm

Hey SnowQueen, great post. Im using Purpose Cleanser (its a soap bar) is this alright, or no? You mentioned not to use bar soaps for cleansers? Great post! Keep it up.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/22/2006 11:27 pm

No, the Purpose Bar shouldn't be used. The ingredients in the Purpose Bar were actually what I looked up for an example of a harsh cleansing agent and pore-clogging ingredient. It also looks like it has a pretty alkaline pH.

A better cleanser would be Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser. You could also try the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, though it is does contain fragrance.

MemberMember
(@zief)

Posted : 06/23/2006 12:24 am

wow Snow Queen this is a great post with some really good information! Keep up the excellent work, and thanks for all your time and effort.

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/23/2006 5:30 am

wow Snow Queen this is a great post with some really good information! Keep up the excellent work, and thanks for all your time and effort.

Thanks! I know there are a lot of misconceptions out there about what products are good for the skin (and specifically acne), so I was hoping to clear some of that up.

MemberMember
(@rache)

Posted : 06/25/2006 2:03 pm

What about the cleanser I am using.

Derma E Tea Tree and Vitamin E Face/ body wash?..could that be bad for my skin?..

MemberMember
(@sam9009)

Posted : 06/25/2006 3:32 pm

i'm using dudu osun afrikan black soap as a cleanser-has fragrance

nivea for men oil control lotion for a moisterizer-only has irritants of fragrance,alcohol denat, propylene glycol

persagel for treatment.-don't have any irritants that I know of

Do you see a major problem with this regimen Snow Queen?

MemberMember
(@sam9009)

Posted : 06/25/2006 4:11 pm

oh and I'm also taking this perfectil pill

MemberMember
(@sam9009)

Posted : 06/25/2006 4:26 pm

sorry to bother with all this I'm eager for answers I guess.

I also get razor bumps. Question is If I'm using trimmers now,

so I'm not cutting the hair close anymore until I can afford laser hair removal.

Anyway cutting more like a short hair beard look 2.5mm

setting to be exact. Is a razor bump gonna form since I'm not even cutting close. Becasue, as I understand it, a razor bump forms as the hair is growing back and it gets trapped, well if I'm not cutting close then the hair doesn't have an oppurtunity to get trapped because its already out right?

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/25/2006 6:42 pm

sam9009 said:

i'm using dudu osun afrikan black soap as a cleanser-has fragrance

nivea for men oil control lotion for a moisterizer-only has irritants of fragrance,alcohol denat, propylene glycol

persagel for treatment.-don't have any irritants that I know of

Do you see a major problem with this regimen Snow Queen?

The Dudu Osun African Black Soap is not good for the skin; it has the same problems that other soaps have- irritating cleansing agents and potentially pore-clogging ingredients to keep it in bar form. Chances are it also has an alkaline pH, which encourages bacterial growth.

I would not use the Nivea for Men Oil Control Lotion, especially given the amount of alcohol denat in it. It seems like it has more fragrance than other products, but I've seen worse; meaning that the fragrance may or may not be a problem. Remember, a product only needs a significant amount of one skin irritant to be a problem. The myristyl myristate in the formulation may be a problem for pores. The propylene glycol really isn't bad. I don't see any problems with the Persagel-10, though 10% benzoyl peroxide may be too irritating for some.

sam9009 said:

oh and I'm also taking this perfectil pill

I really don't know much about pills and supplements as diet and lifestyle have never been problematic to my skin; also, there is conflicting research regarding the subject. You may want to ask the Diet and Holistic Health Forum for their opinions.

sam9009 said:

sorry to bother with all this I'm eager for answers I guess.

I also get razor bumps. Question is If I'm using trimmers now,

so I'm not cutting the hair close anymore until I can afford laser hair removal.

Anyway cutting more like a short hair beard look 2.5mm

setting to be exact. Is a razor bump gonna form since I'm not even cutting close. Becasue, as I understand it, a razor bump forms as the hair is growing back and it gets trapped, well if I'm not cutting close then the hair doesn't have an oppurtunity to get trapped because its already out right?

From what I understand razor bumps may be caused or worsened by the use of irritating skin care products. I would suggest changing your current skin care regimen as this may very well be contributing to the problem. I am not certain, but it seems to me that trimming the hair for a "short hair beard " look rather than shaving it will also prevent razor bumps because the hair could not get trapped.

You may want to check out this article here:

[Removed link]

At the bottom are skin care suggestions using the author's product line, Paula's Choice. Although it is an excellent line, you do not have to use Paula's Choice products to put together a similar regimen to what is suggested.

PM me if you want specific product recommendations.

MemberMember
(@elfgirl)

Posted : 06/25/2006 7:25 pm

Nice list of everything you can't use on your skin. Not trying to be snarky but what can you use? or did I miss that?

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/25/2006 9:45 pm

elfgirl said:

Nice list of everything you can't use on your skin. Not trying to be snarky but what can you use? or did I miss that?

Dark Maniac asked a similar question:

The_Snow_Queen said:
Dark Maniak said:

Finding a regimen that incorporates effective products and excludes unneccessary skin irritants is a big "do." What not to do is easier to generalize, hence this list of "don't's," but what treatment options work vary by person. You may find this link helpful:

[Removed link]

This post wasn't really intended to give a recommended acne regimen because there is no single regimen appropriate for everyone. It was meant to point out ingredients and products that damage the skin and/or can contribute to acne. Below are some skin care product options you may want to try. I can't promise that they won't clog pores or irritate your skin (everyone's different), but they are better than many of the other products out there.

Some cleansers you may want to consider are:

Eucerin Baby Aquaphor Gentle Wash

Eucerin Redness Relief Cleansing Gel

Paula's Choice (any cleanser)

Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash

Some manual scrubs you may want to consider are:

Essential Nutrients Daily Exfoliating Cleanser with Soft Massage Beads

Nivea for Men Energizing Face Scrub (women can use this too)

Some toners you may want to consider are:

Biotherm Biosensitive Soothing Refreshing Spring Mist

Nivea Visage Moisturizing Toner

Some salicylic acid products you may want to consider are:

Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Face Lotion

Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Anti-Blemish Daily Moisturizer

*Paula's Choice 1% or 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid products

Serious Skin Care Clarifying Treatment

*Paula's Choice makes by far the best salicylic acid products

Some benzoyl peroxide products you may want to consider are:

Dan's Clear Skin Regimen Gel

Jan Marini Skin Research Benzoyl Peroxide, 2.5%

Mary Kay Acne Treatment Gel

Oxy Balance, Sensitive Skin Acne Treatment, Vanishing Formula

Paula's Choice Blemish Fighting Solutions

Persa-Gel 10, Maximum Strength

Zapzyt 10% Benzoyl Peroxide

Some moisturizers you may want to consider are:

Dove Sensitive Essentials Daytime Lotion (no SPF)

Malibu Hemp Moisturizer Body Lotion for Dry Skin

Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Moisture Gel

Some sunscreens you may want to consider are:

Clinique Super City Block SPF 25 Oil-Free Daily Face Protector

Jan Marini Antioxidant Daily Face Protector

M.A.C. Daily SPF 15 Light Moisture

Neutrogena Active Breathable Sunblocks

Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry-Touch Sunsblocks

MemberMember
(@sam9009)

Posted : 06/26/2006 10:05 am

okay Queen, the dudu black soap comes in a liquid form

Ingredients below:

Pure Honey

Shea Butter

Osun (Camwood)

Potassium Palkernelate

Sodium Palm Kernelate

Glyceride

Aloe Vera

Lime Juice

Lemon Juice

Water

Fragrance

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/26/2006 6:24 pm

The Osun soaps come in both liquid and bar form. Since you said Dudu Osun African Black Soap rather than Dudu Osun African Black Liquid Soap, I figured you meant the bar.

[Removed link]

Interestingly enough, both the liquid and bar soaps use almost the exact same ingredients; at any rate, they both use the same harsh cleansing agents and should not be used.

Something I did not mention before:

Osun is also known as camwood, which is also known as African Sandalwood. Sandalwood is a fragrant skin irritant, and both soaps seem to contain a lot of it. In smaller amounts that probably do not pose much risk for skin irritation, both soaps also contain lemon and lime juices, which are also skin irritants.

MemberMember
(@sam9009)

Posted : 06/26/2006 7:07 pm

Wow Queen, your like a skin detective.

Lucky is the man who has your heart, anyways,

How about Black Opal Skin Perfecting Blemish Wash-these

people are experts on black skin skin and, well, deal or no deal.

I have dark spots/discoloration on my upper chest,

back, upper arms, and butt, now these are probably leftover

from acne I would guess. My question is, what safe spa treaments are

out there? Customized for me to get what I want,

which is, for all the areas that's not suppose to be dark/discolored

to dissappear, just my natural when I was a kid all around body even

flawless skin complexion. I want it back.... It's 2006, I just know these

spas have something that I haven't taken advantage of yet. Because

I'm not buying any otc products for dark spots and applying it

to each individual spot, thats just crazy

thanks in advance,

sam

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/26/2006 7:46 pm

I really can't comment on the Black Opal Skin Perfecting Blemish Wash because I can't find the ingredients posted anywhere.

Just so you know, there is no reason why those with dark complexions can't use the same daily skin care products as those with light complexions. All skin needs to be treated as sensitive, and treatments that are used for fighting blemishes in light-skinned individuals are the same for fighting blemishes in dark-skinned individuals..

Now, regarding specialty spa treatments, all spa treatments have risks, but there is a higher risk of discoloration associated with darker-skinned people who seek certain procedures.

You may want to try light microdermabrasian or light chemical peels, both of which are offered at spas.

You could also avoid the spa and apply alpha hydroxy acid products to your body; no need to spot treat.

If your discolorations are leftover from acne, there is a good chance they will fade away. However, they can take years to do so.

You can read more about treatment options in the Red Marks Forum:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=14887

If you have any more questions, PM me.

MemberMember
(@kira1987)

Posted : 06/27/2006 3:05 am

What if i have lots of red little bumps and marks on my face. I have been to doctors but tretinion and differin seems to make it worse as i have very sensitive red skin. What i can i do to cure it? thanks.

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/27/2006 9:13 pm

What if i have lots of red little bumps and marks on my face. I have been to doctors but tretinion and differin seems to make it worse as i have very sensitive red skin. What i can i do to cure it? thanks.

Could you be more descriptive about the bumps? What I mean is, do they have a visible clog? How big are they exactly? Do they look like they belong with a rash? Are they surrounded by visible blood vessels?

How long did you try the prescription retinoids?

Also, what is your skin care regimen?