Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
d3ciph

Astringent helps with acne?

Hello,

I've been using astringent recently and I noticed that it takes a lot of dirt and small pieces of hair off my face. I tried this after using basis bar and cetaphil face cleanser and I still got a lot of dirt off which those 2 cleansers couldn't remove. I read on this forum that astringent causes irritation and shouldn't be used, but it seems that it cleans well. Does anyone know about longterm effects of using astringent for acne?

i still use astringent bc yes it gets all that grime off ur face that cleansers dont // i wash my face then use an astringent and i still have makeup on my face .. even though i cannot see it .. unfortunately all that dirt is still there.

Been using it for the past week. I use a cotton ball soaked with astringent to wipe off my face, then I apply AHA and Differin. My face is smoother than usual when I wake up but I haven't noticed any effects yet.

Astringents generally contain alcohol and can be very drying and irritating, leading to more acne. If you use an alcohol-free toner (like the Proactiv one, which is fairly decent and has glycolic acid), then that's a different story. I find astringents at best fairly useless, and at worst acne-aggravating, though. You shouldn't need one if you use a good cleanser, and especially if you are using any method of exfoliation. My topicals also don't go on very well if I've used a toner after washing, even when I let it dry for like 20 minutes.

Astringents = bad idea!

Most contain alcohol as one poster noted, and will just lead to irritation and more oil production. I believe Neutrogena made an alcohol-fee astringent, but I still think it was too aggressive for areas such as the neck and forehead.