Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why do you believe in the god that you do and not any other god?

I was raised in the Middle east among Arabs. Later my family had Jewish friends. If I had been interested in joining a club I could have embraced Islam or Judaism, but I found when I prayed to an unnamed God I called father that Christianity was His will.

Hey again! I figured it's Sunday so I had to give a sermon. =; No just kidding, I am sorry if I insulted you guys for not understanding, you just seem to gang up and sometimes I wonder if you are as open minded as you claim to be. I didn't intend to sound better than anyone and realize I'm not and every one needs to do as they feel right, I just wanted to bring a different view. If you believe in any God at all, you should just pray for understanding and wisdom to guide you biggrin.gif

I didn`t want to spark the evolution-creation controversy, but I was sorry to see most of John Smith`s arguments went uncorrected.

Also a lot of people around here made some ignorant comments, so I felt that some people have to be informed about the so called special creation - evolution controversy.

First off, forgive me for any grammatical mistake my reply might have, as I`m not from an english speaking country.

fatman_uk,

what do you believe in, if not God? Evolution?

what are your reasons for not believing in God?

Guest Lylat uk

arkon, u have one heck of an education.

To john smith. Believe wot u will good luck to u. The reason i have debated with u so much is because like arkon sed, u r unable to back it up, u only quote from the bible and u never give a solid answer. Also i feel u r trying to convert people with your comments. People who do that tend not to believe themselves, if that is the case i wud find something that u can believe in.

To alison. Also if u find peace in wot u believe in then good luck to u. Your last comment u posted was probably the most senscible thing ive heard on here including my own comments.

Nicky

Ok, I read most of the above article, I would have read all, but I'm not terribly interested in evolution. Sure I have always believed in some evolution like natural selection, things do change over time. Animals have changed, I can believe in the Bible and believe that too, you're right that's not mutually exclusive, and you are right religion is not scientific and based on faith, we agree. It makes sense there would be different fossils of animals, similar yet different, not all animals are the exact way they were millions of years ago, even my little yorkie wasn't around back then, she was bred from a lot of different species of dogs.

And the Bible does say we were created from dust and dust we shall return, I just think it wasn't an ACCIDENT that all this happened, that there is a God, and you say you do to, so we agree. Where we disagree is that God does not have one inspired word out there. To me that is important, the science of evolution, not so much.

Guest Lylat uk

allison. i can understand wot u r saying. The one question i have consistantly asked is where is your proof. Now i am not talking about your faith on god its clear to me that your fiath is un-quesionable. However i question the bible coz it contridicts itself. Also i am not denying the exsistence of jesus i actually do believe he exsisted. What i am quetioning is wot he did with his life. One of the biggest reasons i question the bible is because it can be seen in anyway u want to see it. I dont know the exact words but in one part it saids man will be allowed to find his own path in another it seds our lifes are predetermind by god. That alone to me saids that it can mean anything u want it to mean.

It also seds that jesus come back from the dead. In another part jesus himself seds i am not the spirit i am of flesh and blood. Also he never died on the cross, i do believe he was put on the cross but it didnt kill him stright away. He was put in his tomb and at the time he appeared dead but he was just in a coma thats y it appeard he come back from the dead.

So i ask again how can u have fiath in a book that contridicts itself all the way through. It has also been re-written to many times.

I'll leave u with this. What is the biggest cause of all wars in our history?

Greed and religoin and they go hand in hand.

If u've studied history then u will know that religion has been the starting point for most wars. I cant believe god would have predetermind the killing of his own creation or allowed it to happen.

Lylat, thanks for the comment you made earlier, I really don't want to fight with you guys! Religion is hard to understand, and predestination verses free will is hard for anyone. God predestined us to be adopted sons of his, it says this in Ephesians 1:5. We were also predestined to have an inheritance from him in Ephesians 1:11.

Romans 8:29-30: For whom He foreknew He also PREDESTINED to be conformed to the image of His Son that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom PREDESTINED, these He also called; whom HE called, these He also justified; and whom He justified these He also glorified.

I don't know if this give you a better sense of the word predestined. I think it is about his plan and his plan is for us to be in Heaven with him. I think him omnipotence allows him to see everything, and it is the way he planned. Yet his PLAN was for our free will and for us to be with him as adopted sons. His plan involves us choosing our eternity, not him. I don't know why he made all of his plans, because I'm not God, but I believe they exist.

Also about different translations, it is true the Bible has been misinterpreted thru the years. It even says in Revelation that we should be warned not to add or detract from the book or there's hell to pay basically, I think some people will definitely be guilty of this. When I took Western Civilization I studied how Catholocism saw the word 'pennance' in the Bible and thus made up their ideas of doing pennance and so forth thru a priest and all. If you read the whole context of the Bible I never see that required. Later the word was reported to mean repentance, which I do see clear examples of in the Bible, praying to God thru Jesus in the Bible, clearly stated, not thru Mary, no Pope. I think politics have influenced and misconstrued the Bible, but it's really not that hard to understand if you look at it yourself and study for yourself and maybe look up the original meanings of the words in some translations and deciding for yourself if that translation got it right. My church does this, I go to the Church of Christ, it is non-denominational meaning there is no head like the Pope, and it is not a divided church because the bible says there is only one church, the elders are the head as the Bible instructs under God.

The Bible also said there would be false prophets and I think that accounts for other religions out there (ISLAM) my thoughts.

I forgot to answer you about the coma. Well there was a large rock blocking him in there, I don't know if a coma would get him thru that. Also Jesus was resurrected in the flesh so that there would be proof, you can read John 20:24, the disciples wanted to put their hands in the print of the nails for proof. Thomas got to touch so he could believe. verse 29 says Jesus said to them, Thomas because you have seen ME you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.

Ok, I forgot If you read Matthew 27:62 Pilot set a Guard outside the tomb, you can read it all. They were being extra careful that he wouldn't get out of there, since he predicted it. He would have had to go into a coma and became invisible to get past it all.

Allison, it still comes down to faith. You happen to believe that what is stated in the Bible actually happened. It could simply be a fictional account, couldn't it? Perhaps it was reality as they (the writers) saw it. There is no factual proof or evidence to support anything from either the Old Testament or the New Testament. All you have are stories. Even if those that wrote the stories believed in the validity of the events, it is still simply their interpretation of what took place. That you can quote from these stories doesn't make them any more real or factual.

You put so much faith in the writings of the Bible which you yourself contend could be flawed for various reasons. Okay, let's not even take that into account; we'll throw it out. We'll assume that the Bible of today is the same as the original Bible. You know what? It still doesn't matter. Even if the Bible of today is the same as when it was originally written, it is still just a collection of stories. You choose to put your all your faith in this collection of stories. I do not. For me, it would be like putting the writings of Stephen King on the same pedestal. Sure he writes great stories, but that's what they are -- great fictional stories. For that reason, they don't govern my life.

Guest Crooked I

I'll leave u with this. What is the biggest cause of all wars in our history?

Greed and religoin and they go hand in hand.

If u've studied history then u will know that religion has been the starting point for most wars. I cant believe god would have predetermind the killing of his own creation or allowed it to happen.

Unguarded, all of history is one big story. You believe in it because there were many people who reported it, eyewitnesses. There are many different eyewitnesses for the Bible many not even in each others lifetimes, however everything they say holds true with the earlier's prophecy's and I don't find contradiction. Researchers have found evidence that Pilot did exist and different things from the Bible do check out.

How do we really know Joan of Ark existed or anyone, especially the further back you go. You could look at all the reasons that John Smith cited earlier, you could read books about it, but the Bible came from the Dead Sea Scrolls a history by men just like our history books. It has been translated different at times because humans screwed it up. The original language is not in english so it was easy for politicians to say it said this or that, especially when alot of the people back then were illiterate. However, now we can read and we can study for ourselves and go back to the original greek or hebrew language and decide from that word how it should be translated. That's why there has been different versions over the years King James, NIV, American Standard as well, because people think they can interpret it easier for the average person who is not a scholar.

First of all nobody can say that a supernatural power does not exist. There is no reason why we can't be missing something that is working outside of our field of vision.

I wonder if anybody can tell me what came before the Big Bang.......or where the material and energy from the origin of the BB came from.

I can say that these paragraphs are full of unscientific data. 

All creationist arguments are composed of dogmas as you can clearly see. There are thousand of transition fossils discovered today, but do they care? Just saying `There are no transition fossils`, while there are myriads of them, would suffice to disprove evolution. Who needs to back up his arguments by scientific evidence?

Darwin may have stated the lack of fossil evidence, but as the writer himself says, that was a century ago. Paleontology has improved much since then. Read on.

One very obvious example of the transition fossils is the archeopteryx. Archeopteryx is a reptile-bird which has feathery wings, but can not fly. Various specimens of this lizard-bird was found, which vary in some features. Creationists, of course, couldn`t comment on this, besides saying the fossil was `faked`. Sure, all the ones found in germany, turkey etc by ordinary people were faked. It is not surprising that creationists actually use this as an argument,  as no argument of creationists is based on reason. They have the right to just say `That is totally wrong, completely not true`, and there, they falsified all the evidence of evolution or any other scientific theory they don`t like. It is quite easy being a creationist I guess.

allison and john smith, I'm glad you people believe so much in God and tried very hard to "argue"/explain to those who challenge your faith. But actually everyone is really kind here as I can see, there's no really hostility. I think since you've tried hard to explain already, you should let it end. People have the right to believe what they want to, and not to mention you all have done all you can to erm...convince them.

Guest fatman_uk
allison and john smith, I'm glad you people believe so much in God and tried very hard to \"argue\"/explain to those who challenge your faith. But actually everyone is really kind here as I can see, there's no really hostility. I think since you've tried hard to explain already, you should let it end. People have the right to believe what they want to, and not to mention you all have done all you can to erm...convince them.

Do you ever question God for why those of us with acne must continually go through it? I always feel guiltyfor thinking that I don't deserve to suffer with it and that their are not so good people who should have it over me. I feel so vain!! I pray to GOd religiously asking why Imust have this skin problem. DOes anyone else and has it provided you ant consolence?

i tooootally feel you. i'm always praying to god to take this pain away but he never seems to listen. sometimes i believe and other times i don'tt. i need a sign!! (like klear skin!!)

For so long I lost faith in God completely because of my Acne and everything else in my life. But recently I just got back to God and I noticed my life has changed for the better a little. My life is less confusing and my skin is clearing up. It isn't about following God like a sheep, I dissagree on a lot of things about religon but just praying and putting my faith in something helps.