Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LabGirl81

Didn't get Accutane....

So I had my appointment earlier. My derm saw my whiteheads (I have thousands of them) and he said "Wow it's getting really bad". I guess thousands of whiteheads are worse then ten big fat cysts. He said my acne was now considered moderate/severe, since the whiteheads cover my entire face, (except my nose where I get blackheads), neck and chest.....and I have a few cysts (actually nodules since none are greater then 5mm in diameter). I told him to just leave them for now since I wasn't in the mood for injections (they hurt).

He said there is now way topicals alone are going to clear me and he decided that we need to get more aggressive. He thinks I'm on erythromycin and the bacteria has become resistant (although I never filled the prescription). So he says lets try something else......He started writing a prescription slip...he wrote an A then an M (so I'm thinking Amnesteem....generic tane)...then an O........Fake out....Amoxicillin......

Come on I don't have an ear infection or strep throat or Lyme’s disease.....why Amoxicillin?????

He sees that I'm not happy. And asks me why I'm so against antibiotics. I said considering then number of times I've taken Amoxicillin in my life the bacteria's probably resistant to it or will be resistant quickly since I took it so much as a kid and teenager (never for acne though)..........now I know the bacteria on my face wasn't there seven years ago, but if only one little bugger still has a gene for resistance it can pass it to all the little buggers through it's plasmids.........I explain this to him and he said he could put me on like a bunch of Z-packs, but the bacterial are probably have cross resistance to azrtihromycin from the erythromycin …….that I never even took…….hehe........

He then mentions that was right about trans-retinoic acid and tazorac not being able to reduce sebum production.....I called him out last time when he said that the taz will reduce my sebum production.......He looked it up himself and told me I was right.....the only thing that can reduce it is isotretinoin

So he asks me what I want to study in college, because I seem so to know way too much about acne and drugs used to treat acne than I actually need to. I remind him that I have 2 graduate degrees and I'm a formulation chemist, who happens to have acne. I tell him I'm going for my PhD in Biochemistry in the fall to study this stuff............to which he replies......"I can't get over how young you look.......I keep thinking you're like 15"............ :wall:

So then he says "6that's cool......maybe we can develop a cure for acne together and make millions....I'm in if you are....lets do lunch sometime"........no joke.......

He's a pretty cool guy and he then explained why he can't give me Accutane yet....

He's a P.A. not a derm.....his boss is a derm and he is under her supervision. He had a protocol for prescribing Accutane and he had to suggest other things first (topicals and three antibiotics). I fit the criteria because my acne is borderline moderate/ severe, but I'm a 24 year old woman.....

He said his boss has to give the okay for him to prescribe it if he goes against protocol..........

So I'll pretend to take this one too......and see him again on July 8th for some injections (if required) then again on July 22nd for a follow up.........he said he'll talk to his boss about me and see if he can get the okay to skip the third antibiotic course and go straight to tane.....

I have a feeling he's onto my little game.....and knows I'm not going to take them.......He probably know I haven't been using anything at all, since if I were a derm I would question the persistent seborrheic dermatitis on my forehead and in the creases of my nose.....and the ever persistent blackheads.........on someone who was using topical retinoids.......I have a feeling though that if he is onto my game he doesn't care, because he know how bad I want Accutane.......and he understands my reasoning.......

OMG..that's crazy..

A nurse practitioner signed me up for ipledge...I suppose the derm she's under is less strict...

Have you thought about seeing another derm just for another opinion??

My derm (well NP) told me that a lot of doctors are saying they won't prescribe accutane because of the side effects, but it's really because they don't want to have to deal with the paperwork..She said as far as she was concerned it was a miracle drug and she would do whatever she had to do to keep prescribing it...

Hang in there!!!

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Mine is actually a PA, but she prescribed me accutane. I'm sending all my accutane wishes to you. I don't understand why you can't seem to get it. I hope you find someone understanding to get you accutane.

Why don't you see a different derm?

If the one I'm planning to see in the near future rufuses to prescribe it, then I'm going to find a diff one. I dont care how many derms I have to go through to get a prescription

shit get a new derm. this one seems to like to keep acne patients coming back for more visits=more money for them.

Here is an idea for you, take it or leave it, as it is a little dishonest. I know I have seen in your other posts that you are allergic to a long list of antibiotics. What if in a week or so you called the derm and said something to the effect of over the weekend i had an allergic reaction to the medicine, or something to that effect. Then they would have to take you off of it and move you onto something else....

Just a thought.

I have a feeling it's going to take way more time to see a new derm and get tane, then just sticking with this one. He does have the ability to prescribe it, but he said if he does and his boss sees my history questions will be asked, as to why another antiboitic wasn't tried first. It's not him who's conservative in prescribing Accutane, it's the supervising physician..........

Really my acne isn't that bad. It's only bad now because I don't treat it with anything. If I kept up with my retin-a/taz, duac/benzaclin and orthotricyclin, nicomide and antibiotics I'd be crystal clear (with a few rouge cysts every month)....but that's a lot of copays........60$ worth, nicomide is 75$ and not covered, plus 30$ pop for cortisone injections.........one trip to the pharmacy coud cost 135$...and I have insurance.......

Accutane will be 10$ (Amnesteem)....plus about 7$ for my copay on lab work, and 30$ a visit at my derm, oh and 10$ for the pill....57$ a month..........is it's less expensive and a better treatment..........

I have tried making appiontments at diferent derms. I made on in early April for another one, but it's not until the end of July......

I've tried calling others and they are scheduling new appointments in September........so either way I go I'll have acne all summer........

I can't say I'm allergic to this one because I've taken it my whole life for everything from Lyme's to ear infections.......so it's probably useless......but then I'd be allergic to almost evey class of antibiotic.....with the exception of macrolides........

I can say however that it gave me a killer yeast infection (which it probably would) and that my gyn doesn't want me to takethe amoxicillin. I have a girly issue clalled VVS that causes extreme and intense pain due to nerve inflammation (I must be cursed or something). One yeast infection wil ruin my sex life for the next 12-18 months.....that's about how long the nerves take to calm down a little.........That another reason why I don't take them........I don't want to have that happen again, and my gyn told me to stay away from antiboitics for this reason, unless I'm actually sick and heve a fever.....

:doh:

surely you shud change derms labgirl!

members on here with far lesser acne have done tane.

:wub: hang in there sweetheart

that's ridiculous, i've never heard of such a thing. I went on accutane after 4 months on minicyclin with no effect. no questions asked. it sounds like your derm is a douchebag and needs to be dumped immediately.

that's ridiculous, i've never heard of such a thing. I went on accutane after 4 months on minicyclin with no effect. no questions asked. it sounds like your derm is a douchebag and needs to be dumped immediately.

Interesting story. Funny that he made a pass at you. On a serious note, I suggest next time you visit you simply give an ultimatum - either accutane or i'm outtie. They have to realise you are done "playing games" and just let you take your own pre cautions while on the drug. There are times when we should listen to our doctor and times where our doctor should LISTEN TO US.

Unless you're like me in Canada and it takes 4 months to get derm appointments (cuz they are free).... I'd interview derms in my area and ask them their policies/procedures on perscribing accutane for persistant mod/severe acne that is not responding to antibiotics or anything else.

If they ask you to come in, say you need answers to your questions first so you don't waste yours or the doctors time.

First one that says yes.... go there.... and hopefully walk out with a prescription and blood test papers ;)

Good luck and we are all hoping for you!

Labgirl,

It took me 4 derms in the past 6 months to finally find one that would prescribe it to me!

I agree with jess and the others, maybe you should just move on to another one. If he's being so stingy about giving the prescription to someone that needs it, I wonder what other complications will arise in the future with this PA or the Dr. Next thing you know, they will screw up your ipledge or decide, out of nowhere, that you should discontinue treatment halfway through! You just never know...that practice sounds really fishy to me, and I think there have got to be better ones out there in your area.

We're all pulling for you!

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Why didn't you go to another Dermatologist? One of the ones that the Pharmacist suggested?? I'm worried that you're doing permanent damage as the weeks go by, you need to reduce the nodules and cysts. :confused:

Labgirl81, if you can afford it can you fly to Toronto and see my derm? he'll give it to you in a heartbeat.

Actually he perscribes just about anything. good derm.no waiting. same day appointments, self refferall.

i just keep reading about your struggle and wonder what i can do to help!

I don't condone it, but there are ways of obtaiing accutane online without a rpescription. PM me and i'll let you know.

Hmm...

My PA (mind you, PA, not a derm) prescribed me Accutane after only one month of me taking an antiobiotic, which i found dissatisfying.

It was my choice to take the antiobiotic, in fact on my first VISIT she was saying accutane but i didn't want to go that far, bad choice...

I also feel in control of whether my dosage stays or goes up every month.

I say something BS is up with you not getting what you want.

You will love accutane.

The last time I went for cortisone injections (last Saturday) he explained the reason he asked me to lunch. He's actually married and knows I have a boyfriend. He wasn't making a pass at me (who would ???? I look like a monster). He said he wanted to "pick my brain." He says I know more about acne than his supervising physician does. He was suprized about how much I knew about retinoids and retinoid receptors and supposedly I can teach him a thing or two and he's planning on going to medical school to actually become a derm...........he wants to just talk about skin....he even said we could do a couples thing first if my boyfriend isn't cool with it......He's not that old.....he's only 29.....

I do have an appointment at another derm in a couple weeks, but I know it's not going to go well, since he's a cosmetic derm and does more lasers, peels, and botox then actual acne treatment. They are big on MD Formulations, and Dermaologica products and will most likely try to sell me a fancy package of products worth a small fortune....rather then give me a prescription for Accutane......

All the ones in my insurance book are booked up until September/October...... I can see my derm once a week if I want.....

I'm still getting acne....but lately it's more comedol and papulopustular than cystic (although I have a few nodules than may become cysts soon). I don't know why I'm getting all these gross pustules. They rupture on their own and bleed and now I have little scabs all over my cheek.........There are too many of them to inject and they're not big enough......My face is just itchy and bumpy.......

I tried an experiment. I took a few of the amoxicillin pills that were prescribed to me last time. I took 2 a day for like 2 days. I felt hot and dizzy and sick to my stomach........I remeber how much I hate antiboitics, and it didn't do anything to my acne....If anything I got a few more pustules......

So I kinda look gross. I went to work sans makeup and everyone's like " OMG!!! What happened to your face?" I just repled I had a fun holiday weekend...

I'm going to tell my derm when I go on Saturday that I'm giving up........I kinda feel like giving up. I'm just going to tell him all this crap is stupid and not working and I give up on treating it since noting works. I tell him unless he's giving me Accutane I'm not coming back to him......

I think he's kinda fond of me so maybe he'll get the point that I'm sick of being dicked around. I'll call up some derms in my insurance book and make appointments in October if I have to. I've tried asking what their policy's are on Accutane and they usually just say to come in because they can't tell me over the phone, since the derm has to see how bad my skin is.........derms know alll rememeber........

Right now I don't really care if I get Accutane or not. The damage is done. I'm already scarring and pretty bad too....I won't really know what's permenant until all the redness goes away.....but I'm sure I'm got a few new boxcars and rolling scars........I don't really mind though.........if I scar....I scar.....I won't be able to do anything about it until October anyway............I'm kinda just resigned to having acne........

There's no guarentee that Accuane will work for me......it just has the highest success rate

If he doesn't agree to give it to me on Saturday (which he won't I'm sure) I'm just giving up. Maybe I'll be so horribly disfigured by October that a derm will give it to me then........but by then it wont be worth the wait....since then the scarring will be worse..........Oh well....Life's not fair is it???

Unless you're like me in Canada and it takes 4 months to get derm appointments (cuz they are free).... I'd interview derms in my area and ask them their policies/procedures on perscribing accutane for persistant mod/severe acne that is not responding to antibiotics or anything else.

If they ask you to come in, say you need answers to your questions first so you don't waste yours or the doctors time.

First one that says yes.... go there.... and hopefully walk out with a prescription and blood test papers ;)

Good luck and we are all hoping for you!

who the hell is your dermatologist?! im from toronto too and i can just walk in sometimes and waait 45 mins and i'l get to see her the day of. of course i usually book them in advance.