Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexAppeal

Lex's Log. Wondering what I've gotten myself into.

To make a long story short. I've had moderate acne since my early 20's. I'm a guy now in my late 20's and it doesn't seem to want to go away like I thought it would. In fact it seems to be getting progressively worse. I tried the antibotic thing many many years ago but that never worked out. Discouraged I thought I'd wait it out.

Well enough is enough, so I got prescribed accutane last week. I had to ask and talk my derm into it...wasn't too hard as I had allergic reactions to some of the antibiotics previously. I just discovered this board yesterday and now I'm a bit terrified at what's to come after reading for hours last night.

I have many parties, weddings, etc coming up very soon. I'm quite stressed now that I read that it seems majority of the people here seem to experience bad redness and Initial breakouts. I feel like I'm going to be crawling under a rock for a few months. :( I can't help it, I'm stupidly vain and too self conscience as it is.

Day 1 : Took first dose of 30mg with a fatty breakfast Mickey D's breakfast this morning, waiting to take 2nd dose in a little bit with dinner.

Effects : Felt a tad light headed (I think it may have been due to lack of sleep though since I was up all night reading this site and the weather), slight tingly feelings on my face and random parts of the body. Maybe it's in my head but my face seems to look redder already.

Thank you everyone for the logs, it brings me comfort yet great fear at the same time. So I guess I can scratch drinking off my list for a few months... /GROAN..... At least I'll be saving money from the rediculously overpriced drinks at the clubs. /Sigh...major parties I had planned on going this weekend... stressing over what my face will look like by then.

p.s. Are there people here who did not experience the bad redness or IB??

I haven't had a red face so far. I have been pretty lucky with no severe IB either. Well now that I said that I can expect to wake up tomorrow with a bunch of unwelcomed visitors on my face. :sick:

I noticed that you had Mcdonalds and a pill.... Stay away from bad foods and this may help somewhat! Good luck!

Hey there! Welcome to the wonderful world of 'tane! :) Like you, I was pretty scared to go on accutane because of all the potential side effects. After being on it for a month, it hasn't been the scary monster I was expecting. I've experienced the usual side effects like dry lips, being tired, and skin a bit more sensitive but it's all worth it if it means clear skin.

I haven't experienced the redness and the IB was pretty minor. I'm still getting a few small newbies (can't wait for that to stop) but it hasn't been too bad. I think the scariest part is not knowing what to expect...so, I guess you just have to take the plunge and go for it! Good luck!!! :)

Melanie, I was reading TennesseeGirl's log and she always eats it in the morning with some fatty flapjaks or something with her meal because it absorbs better with fat? So that's why I ate Mickey D's breakfast because I was in a time pinch. I'd rather not have to eat that garbage every morning though.

Tanya, wow that's some regimine you got there. Perhaps its your regimine that is preventing the redness and IB from happening? I may have to try it out. Thanks, i need some of your luck comin ma way.

Lex,

Hmmm, maybe that explains my horrific belly aches. I don't eat much in the way of fatty foods. Learn something new everyday. Hope you get great results, how far along are you?

Hey!!

Good luck on accutane...I always had mild but VERY persistent acne...But the past year my face got really bad and this website has been wonderful..I dunno what I would've done some nights because i would be up crying and i'm come visit and see that other people have problems with their skin just like i do...

I'm sure accutane will clear you up perfectly!!!

:)

Bella, I hope to read your logs, good luck!!

Mel, I've learned alot from just a few days on this board. I hope we can all learn from each others experience.

Day 2 Felt slightly itchy. Went out to a friend b-day, had 2 drinks. Felt a little more tipsy than normal. Stopped after 2 drinks , didn't want to overdue it.

Day 3 Tired... feeling a tad edgy today. Don't think it's the accutane, probably from going out last night and coming home at 4am on a work night. Ouch. My nose however is feeling dry and my face is dry yet oily. Tried Cetaphil gentle cleanser, dried my skin out even more and there was flakes, used Cetaphil facial moisturizer to alleviate. Can someone reccomend a cleanser for very senstive skin? My skin was very sensitive to begin with before accutane.

Got a non-medicated nasal spray. Saw a 12 hour Effrin brand nasal spray one but wasn't sure if it was ok to use since it had all sorts of chemicals in it.

Picked up some Aquaphor for my lips.

Used a body wash instead of plain soap today which is rare of me. Felt kinda girly but man it feels good. Was a bit itchy earlier :)

Hi Lex. I know I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to wish you luck on the 'tane. I was extremely nervous about it at first, as well. However, it's turned out to be not as bad as I thought it would be and I'm very happy I made the decision to take it.

Felt kinda girly but man it feels good. Was a bit itchy earlier :)

Hey Lex, Congrats on starting Accutane :clap: It's great to come across a website where there's a ton of people you can relate to, I could probably stay on here for hours :lol: I will definitely keep up on your progress, Good luck with everything ;)

Are you on 60 mg btw?

:) Hi Lex! Welcome to the Forum! Congrats on starting the tane!

I was also kinda itchy when I first started, it was sporatic throughout my body. I guess that means its starting to do its job!

Well, good luck, and keep us posted!

Heya Lex! Welcome to the boards! You wouldn't happen to be a fan of the Sci-Fi show Lex, would you? I've been trying forever to find it!

Heya Lex! Welcome to the boards! You wouldn't happen to be a fan of the Sci-Fi show Lex, would you? I've been trying forever to find it!

Thanks for the all the tips and encouragement. I wish I could post and read everyones threads more often.

Elsewhere, I know the show your talkin about, kinda quirky but cool. The girl on the show sure was a looker especially with those lips!

Arista, yeah Superman is the man but the Lex in my name refers to the type of my car, yeah kinda dumb but couldn't think of anything on short notice and lame attempt to be witty.

DMBsDreamgirl, Yeah I'm on 60mg spread out with 2 doses.

Well if anyone is still reading, I do regret not updating more frequently. I do keep a log locally on my PC that I copy and paste to this board. Here is a brief recap.

Day 4 Went out and drank alot. I know I'm stupid but I guess it's still the bad kid in me. I'll cut down or stop once I get further into the treatment. I did put some topical BP cream and my skin burned a little...definitly feels more sensitive.

Day 5 LIPS ARE KINDA DRY...ouch

Skipping to........

Day 8 Lips are dry, skins a bit dry, not too bad though. Eyes a tad dry as well. Face does seem a bit less oilier but well still gets damn oily by the end of the day. Noticing some white heads here and there. Damn the potential scarring, popped and now gone... Rather scary cyst is forming on my chin though. Been feeling a little more tired lately...just a tad.

Day 9 Holy mother of god, it's now a "humoungous" cyst forming on my chin that may force people to call me TRIPLE CHIN. It's painful.... it pulsates... it's alive.... it's aliveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... Only thing to top this off would be for a nice hair to grow out of it to spite me even more. :think:

edit: oh and another side effect is a really killer appetite for crappy food... had mcdonalds for breakfast, chipotle for dinner today. (Chipotle is not crappy food but man its unhealthy!) I hope this thing doesn't make me gain any major weight.

... it's alive.... it's aliveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... Only thing to top this off would be for a nice hair to grow out of it to spite me even more. :think:

I literally "LOL" to this part :lol: but don't worry, I had this humongous cyst on my farhead yesterday (that's been there since before I started Accutane, but it didn't start getting big until I got on Accutane) anyways..I accidently popped it while washing my face last night and tonight it's barely there, it seems like since I've started Accutane whatever pimple pops up it usually drys up quickly & is gone in 2 days, probably the same thing will happen with the cyst on your chin ;) Just hang in there and kiss that cyst good-bye!

DAY 10 Popped it... no check that, more like killed it, maimed it, stabbed it... ever heard of the ancient art of acnepuncture? Christ it was getting bigger than I've ever had before. Started to look like my unborn twin brother conjoined fetus on my chin or something. Anyways, goodbye Twin...yeah this one's going to scar for sure but frankly I don't give a fu**....

Face is getting weird little bumpies then dissapears. Also had some chest pains around my heart today that sort of freaked me out. :shifty: Face is definitly less oily. Mood is fine...just more tired throughout the day.

Appetite is still wack, went to Burger King for lunch today and ate the greasiest meal ever. I crave greasy food... I don't remember reading this as a side effect anywhere.

It's possible your body is begining to crave fats.

You can fix this by taking in healthy fats if you so wish.

EFA's

Fish oil ...etc.

Arista, yeah Superman is the man but the Lex in my name refers to the type of my car, yeah kinda dumb but couldn't think of anything on short notice and lame attempt to be witty.

You must drive a Lexus. ;)

Chipotle is the best. I really wish there were one close to where I live... 'cos now that you've mentioned it, I'm craving it. Damnit.

Careful with the popping. You might not care about the scars now, but when your face is all clear, you will care. :doubt:

Mmmm...Burger King, McDonalds, yummy greasy food... Okay, reading your log has made me REALLY hungry!

So, how's your little twin doing? I had exactly the same thing on my chin, except it was more like quintuplets and like you experienced, they felt like living, pulsing alien beings. Not fun at all! The good news is that they did go away (with a little help from moi) and the red marks are almost gone. So, as big as those babies were, doesn't look like there's going to be any scarring - hopefully yours won't either.

Take care:)

tanya

Mmmm...Burger King, McDonalds, yummy greasy food... Okay, reading your log has made me REALLY hungry!

So, how's your little twin doing? I had exactly the same thing on my chin, except it was more like quintuplets and like you experienced, they felt like living, pulsing alien beings. Not fun at all! The good news is that they did go away (with a little help from moi) and the red marks are almost gone. So, as big as those babies were, doesn't look like there's going to be any scarring - hopefully yours won't either.

Take care:)

tanya

The twin turned into quintuplets or something. It was like a massive coordinated attack. After I sorta half-assed popped it, a scab formed and then I had to repop it and uhm well it got ugly but I won. Kind of a scene out of a horror movie. Lots of blood. Yum...ick.. I'm kind of a man's man if that even makes sense, so I don't mind some scars, it adds character to my face :). Ok just let me believe that for now haha.

Tryin to cut down on the fatty foods. I'm noticing some weight gainage since I started. I think I'm using accutane as an excuse to stray off my normal diet to eat whatever the hell I want. I've been skipping breakfast now. I don't normally eat breakfast anyway. A pill and a bottle of water is all I'm going to take now.

Moementum, what are good fats? I've heard of fish oils and the like, can you elaborate?

I don't post often so I figured I'd be as detailed and boring as possible because I know that reading other people's logs and matching it up by days has really helped me with my anxieties and questions about accutane. Helped greatly in knowing what to expect.

DAY 15 Lips were really chapped yesterday but constant use of chapstick and aquaphor and it's very manageable. Lips feel good today, used less of the treatment. I find slabbing a big goo of Aquaphor before going to bed helps alot. Face is definitly becoming less oily. Just a few whiteheads that won't go away and it's hard not to pick at it but I'm going to try this time. Haven't really experienced the serious dry face effect yet. Face is definitly dryer but still oily.

I have a sore neck, it feels like I slept wrong. Chest feels slightly sore. I'm a smoker and I've cut down alot to the point on some days now I don't light a single cig but it's never felt sore like this. Feel's like something heavy is pressing down on me. Been using moisturizer with spf15 on my face and arms when I go out. So haven't gotten burnt yet.

I haven't experienced any major redness yet either. I have a somewhat dark complexion to begin with. Don't think I've experienced my initial breakout either. The little bumpies that were all over my face the first week I started have all dissapeared pretty much so people who experience this don't fret, they should dissapear in a few days. I wonder if that was my IB. I hope to god it was but I doubt it.

It was a stressful month of June at work, stressful things going on in my personal life. So I used that as a cowardly excuse to drink alot last night, I wonder what this is doing to my liver. My head sort of hurts today. Again, I don't know if it was because I drank and didn't sleep well or side effects of accutane. I don't feel myself urinating more or feeling thirstier either.

As far as mood goes, that's the only thing that might start to bug me soon, it goes up and down, nothing too bad. Bad days at work seem to effect me alot harder. Feeling edgy at times. Definitly not depression I think. I feel normal for the most part....so far. Weird dreams sometimes, had a very vivid and surreal one about my ex gf last night. Felt too real. Woke up feeling like shit because of it. She is definitly on my mind alot lately for some reason. Maybe this is the start of the so called depression. :doubt:

It's been sort of a milestone, finished my first box of pills (half months supply) 15 days have sort of come and gone. It feels like eternity the first day you take it. I guess it's not that bad after all. But then again I haven't experienced serious side effects yet.

EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids)

These are the *Good fats* the body need to effectively complete many important processes in your body.

Incredible stuff.

Should be taken even when not on a harsh drug like accutane.

Go to any health food store.

Ask for essential fatty acids.

Preferably one that has the Omega 3-6-9's

Udo's Blend.

You can buy flax oil, another good source.

Hemp oil is great.

Even Olive oil will do in a pinch.

Many to choose from.

Just take a couple capsules or a tbsp of these fats with your dose of accutane and preferably another dose of fats some time throughout the rest of the day.

And instead of just taking your pill with a glass of water, take it with a glass of milk and your EFA's and your laughing.

Weird dreams sometimes, had a very vivid and surreal one about my ex gf last night.

Holy crap... I thought it was just me. Granted, my weird dreams aren't about ex-girlfriends, but yeah... very weird, vivid dreams sometimes.

Not sure what to tell you about the depression thing. I haven't had a really rough time with my mood. I did spend one night just crying my little eyes out over an Army commercial. It was really strange and I just couldn't stop myself, but I haven't had an issue like that since. It was probably hormones. :eh:

Anyways, hang in there! And I hope your mood is up today.

Drinking while taking any medication will surely mess up your system. The liver is responsible for absorbing fat into your body and since accutane is a vitamin A derivative (fat soluble vitamin), consuming alcohol can not only raise your triglyceride levels, it can make you resistant to the full benefits of the drug.

I think the depression stems from having too much expectations from accutane. It is not a panacea and it takes quite a while to see its effect. Just take it slowly and not be too stressed out. Instead of alcohol or cigarettes, why not try exercise to relieve stress?

Makopa, I don't have much time to exercise but I do plan on starting up again soon and just forcing some time. Not because of the accutane but because my cholesteral was high with my first bloodworks so I should really start eating better and working out again.

Arista, yeah I'm not depressed (yet), just emotional lows here and there thats probably related to everyday stress in life and not the pills. I think getting good sleep will help too.

[DAY 16] Mood seemed ok today. I did get slightly snappy with a co-worker but caught myself right away and made nice. Still have slight pain in my left part of my neck, it's sore. Lips are still dry but manageable. Face on the other hand especially my cheeks feel slightly inflamed. They don't look inflamed though. Those few pesky whiteheads are gone or dissapearing. Some very small new ones here and there, nothing major. Face is still somewhat oily but I am using moisturizer so it could be that.

I noticed my joints in my right hands ache when I type. I think I have slight carpel tunnel anyway but I think the accutane is exacerbating the situation. Last night when I tried to sleep my lower back ached a little too. I don't feel as tired today and I only got 5 hours of sleep.

Hair is less oily too. Hope my hair doesn't thin, it's already thin as it is. I don't have baldness on either side of my family so I don't think I'll go bald but who knows. My nose is quite dry. I eat alot of spicy food tho which gets the mucus flowing heehee. I'm gonna stuff some vasoline up my nostrils tonite before I goto bed.

Area around my knuckles are starting to feel dry. Overall though my complexion is looking good! It was not so great when I first started and I feared it would get worst. Probably the calmest it's been in a few weeks actually.

Haven't thought about the ex at all today until i typed this sentence! I've been over her but I think it's because I found out she has a new guy now which is the reason I've been thinking about her lately. I just hope she's happy and wish her the best though, i'm not bitter at all...ok not anymore :). Blegh, women...such complicated creatures.

Ok peace out for now, I'm going to goto the supermarket and pickup some lotion, head and shoulders, sunscreen, and a snack.

lex, you might want to take the vitamin biotin to make sure you get no more hair loss. get it at the vitamin shop. I have experience the chest pain thing too on medicines. not sure what that is about. good luck!

Hey Lex!

I totally hear your head and shoulders necessity! I've been battleing with the dry scalp syndrome also! I think I'm gonna ask my derm at my next appt on monday if there is anything that will really truely work. I still have flakies all over my scalp but the itchies are gone!

Hang in there!

And I'm here to say what you already know - drink lots of water! :)

An interesting thing that my dad sent me lately about water... <- the coke part is interesting too, but the key point is the water...

Anytime I ever experience joint issues or pains of that nature, I make sure I intake a whole lot of that stuff. Always seems to work for me :)

Good luck on your journey!