Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tikvica

Glycolic/Lactic Acid Peels - how to do them

JC : I did my second peel yesterday.

I don't know if it's from the peels, but my skin looks good nowadays. I think redmarks has faded a little bit, not sure though. I'll upload pictures after my third peel even if I cant see reults. So, next friday/saturday i'll give you some pics.

"my skin looks good nowadays"...good to hear!

I wanna do my peel, can't believe my GA from ebay hasn't arrived yet!

So, aloe vera after peeling is good?

Remember to use sunscreen!

GOOD LUCK!

Yeah I read that Aloe vera was good to use after the peel =)

I hope you get your peels soon JC, you have waited a very long time now.

And I actually didn't use sunscreen today, but I was never exposed to sunlight anyway so I guess i'm ok. Will use it when i'm going out though!

jc83 y dont u order another glycolic acid...maybe the guy ripped you off or soemthing. glycolic acid on ebay isnt expensive anyway.

I sent them an email...they replied they lost some products, my GA included. They told me that they have re-sent a new GA, and I am expected to get it these days.

So I just did my first one of these.

Immediately after I put the acid on (30% Glycolic from puredeming) it burned. Then it stopped burning after a few seconds... then it started to get ever so slightly red after about 3 minutes so I stopped.

Is that "initial burning" normal? I didn't read anything about it. If I'd followed these instructions to a T I'd have rinsed it off immediately after applying it... and that doesn't help anything.

Hopefully I wasn't too wussy with it. The redness seems to have gone away so I don't think I overdid it. But the initial burning freaked me out a bit.

hi all, i did my first 30% glycolic acid peel last night. all seemed to go well a little bit of stinging but it only lasted a while and was by no means unbearable. i left it on for 3 minutes then neautrilized it with baking soda. my skin wasnt even very red after it and today it just looks as it always does. is this normal?

So I just did my first one of these.

Immediately after I put the acid on (30% Glycolic from puredeming) it burned. Then it stopped burning after a few seconds... then it started to get ever so slightly red after about 3 minutes so I stopped.

Is that "initial burning" normal? I didn't read anything about it. If I'd followed these instructions to a T I'd have rinsed it off immediately after applying it... and that doesn't help anything.

Hopefully I wasn't too wussy with it. The redness seems to have gone away so I don't think I overdid it. But the initial burning freaked me out a bit.

was your skin completely dry before you put the acid? it happened to me once that i applied it right after i washed my face, and it initially burnt like hell. you should wait for some time after you wash and dry your face.

if it's not that, maybe it's just your skin's reaction to sth very new. have your used sth with glycolic acid in it, like a toner or lotion, before you started the peels. it's good to prepare the skin, so it doesn't get shocked.

anyway, wait for seven days, do your next peel, and see what happens. we'll be following your progress!

hi all, i did my first 30% glycolic acid peel last night. all seemed to go well a little bit of stinging but it only lasted a while and was by no means unbearable. i left it on for 3 minutes then neautrilized it with baking soda. my skin wasnt even very red after it and today it just looks as it always does. is this normal?

where did you buy your acid from?

i just saw your products list

maybe it would be a good idea to drop some of them, like acv while you're doing the peels, and i suggest using bha only once a day

you're using way too many products and two of them are different acids.

but that has probably nothing to do w/ the fact that your skin didn't sting much. the facts is that it doesn't have to be unbearable. i've been having peels for years now and sometimes i can't keep it on my skin for longer than 2min, and sometimes i don't feel it at all. but don't worry, i'm sure it's doing it's job. next time you can leave it on for a minute longer

and really, there's no need in neutralizing with baking soda, unless it stings really bad. i never ever used baking soda. w/ 30% it's enough to wash off with lots of water

^^My skin burned slightly a few seconds after I put the GA on, then it faded. It burnt again when I mixed in the baking soda and the tw products reacted.

My skin looks better today, in so much that the redness has subsided a bit. The marks look like they always did, but I wasn't gonna get my hopes up after just one peel.

It says on the leaflet that you use 1mm of GA from the pipette, do you use all of this? I tried to but it ended up running off my face.

thanks tikvica i brought my acid from www.wizozkansas.com. your right about all the products, i had been using paulas choice bha but i had been trialing the acv with asprin to see if that was just as effective as it would be cheaper. so i wasnt using the acv and paulas chioce at the same time but had for got to update my sig. thanks so much for all your advice and support this is a great thread.

^^My skin burned slightly a few seconds after I put the GA on, then it faded. It burnt again when I mixed in the baking soda and the tw products reacted.

My skin looks better today, in so much that the redness has subsided a bit. The marks look like they always did, but I wasn't gonna get my hopes up after just one peel.

It says on the leaflet that you use 1mm of GA from the pipette, do you use all of this? I tried to but it ended up running off my face.

you shouls use as much acid as it takes to completely cover the area you're treating. 1mm sounds like an extremely small amount. i'm treating my whole face and part of my neck (on the sides, just below the jaw line) and i use almost the whole length of the pipette (i use the puredeming acid, their pipette is approx. 5cm long). it doesn't get runny, acid is a thick liquid, not oil-like thick, but is thicker than water. i apply it little by little, part by part of my face, and very gentle, in one move (not rubbing in) spread it w/ my finger.

thanks tikvica i brought my acid from www.wizozkansas.com. your right about all the products, i had been using paulas choice bha but i had been trialing the acv with asprin to see if that was just as effective as it would be cheaper. so i wasnt using the acv and paulas chioce at the same time but had for got to update my sig. thanks so much for all your advice and support this is a great thread.

you're very welcome, ruby1234

i suggest you use acv only once a day while doing the peels, and remember not to use any active ingredients (that goes for bp and acv) 24hrs before and after the peel

the key is not to irritate the skin too much

Hey,

I'm not really new to the board i just dont really post. I decided to post because for months i have been overly curious about lactic/glycolic acid peels. I am currently on 100mg minocycline 2x daily and tretinoin .0025. I am aware that you must stop tretinoin for 2 weeks prior to doing any kind of peel, however i would just like to know if you think its a good idea to do a peel and which kind. I am almost positive that tretinoin hasnt been doing much, because i stop for days and sometimes up to 1 week with no use and nothing happens. I know that im not getting acne because of the minocycline so i am no concerned with stopping tretinoin for the peel. I have only redmarks and its been like this for months. Except for the occasional pimple or two.Any suggestions on the process would be great and sorry this post is long.

hi, mells and welcome

read thru the posts and i think you'll get a pretty good picture

if there are still some questions, feel free to ask them

if you're using a topical tretinoin, then you should wait at least two weeks after stopping it to use glycolic or lactic acid

Aside from continuing my use of minocycline, what should i be washing my face with the days after my chemical peels?

just what ever that is you use and like - that means any face wash recommended in the csr, ar any other gentle face wash. i also recommend using a moisturizer

Ok one last question, haha! Should i start with 40% lactic acid or 30% glycolic acid? It seems that everyone is seeing nice improvements with Glycolic acid. I am just scared that glycolic acid might make me breakout whereas lactic acid might not? Any suggestions on which one to chose, im purchasing them from puredming as i love their ALA gel.

do you guys think that if i do enough series of glycolic peels until april my red marks will be gone?? I have already done a series of 6. thanks!

Ok one last question, haha! Should i start with 40% lactic acid or 30% glycolic acid? It seems that everyone is seeing nice improvements with Glycolic acid. I am just scared that glycolic acid might make me breakout whereas lactic acid might not? Any suggestions on which one to chose, im purchasing them from puredming as i love their ALA gel.

read the first post again, and if you find yourself in the group recommended w/ lactic, then you should probably use lactic, if not, then you can choose between the too

perhaps you can do the first series w/ lactic and then continue w/ glycolic

do you guys think that if i do enough series of glycolic peels until april my red marks will be gone?? I have already done a series of 6. thanks!

have you noticed any improvement after 6 peels? redmarks, skin tone, overall skin quality? if you're satisfied w/ the results, than you can continue doing the peels till whenever

nobody can promise you when your red marks will fade away

the thing about redmarks it that they will fade away if if we do nothing about them, we can only speed up the procces w/ various procedures and products

the key is to be patient

was your skin completely dry before you put the acid? it happened to me once that i applied it right after i washed my face, and it initially burnt like hell. you should wait for some time after you wash and dry your face.

if it's not that, maybe it's just your skin's reaction to sth very new. have your used sth with glycolic acid in it, like a toner or lotion, before you started the peels. it's good to prepare the skin, so it doesn't get shocked.

anyway, wait for seven days, do your next peel, and see what happens. we'll be following your progress!

Well, I didn't do the toner thing because I couldn't find a glycolic acid toner, and I figured my skin would be pretty resistant after the crap I'd put it through in the past. I washed and did it about 2 or 3 minutes after it and I think my skin was dry. Maybe it was because I'd used the intense gel a few hours before. I know it says don't use it for 24 hours after, but nothing about before.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, no harm done, my skin doesn't even look red today, and not really much noticeable peeling either. Though I do think the red marks have faded pretty signifcantly. I don't really have any severe ones right now... so I expect it may be possible to get rid of them all in less than 6... though I'll do the full 6 regardless.

I wish I'd learned of this "advanced tech" about 4 months ago, when these punks were at full power. Ha ha...

well, it may be b/c of the intense gel

don't use it even 24hrs before the peel

it's good to give your skin some rest

I did my second peel yesterday, but I don't notice any flaking. Nor was there any last week. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I left it acid on for about 4 minutes, enough though it burned a little, there wasn't any redness.

Maybe I bought some cheap GA or something. I bought a 30% peel on ebay from Kanzz.

lots of flaking doesn't actually have to happen

and my experience tells me that if it happens it usually happens around 3rd and/or 4th peel

be patient, do all 6 of them

chaoz, i think i brought my 30% glycolic acid peel from the same place as you did. i just did my second peel and i have noticed the same thing not much stinging, no redness, and no flaking. I hope its not a dud peel lol. however i do think it is improving my skin so maybe just stick with it for the whole 6 peels and see what happens. I have also ordered some more peels from another recommended e bay seller but its coming from the uk and is taking ages, so it will be interesting to see if i get different results from another brand of product. let me know how you get on.

do you guys know the ph of the product?

it has to be lower than 4 to have the ability to do the exfoliation

i order from puredeming and their glycolic has the ph of 2.3

I read that the GA should be a little oil-like. Mine is pretty much..waterbased. Should I worry? it says "professional cosmetic grade" on the bottle, so that sounds right, but, I don't know.. I haven't started flaking yet either, doing my third peel on wednesday, so i'll see if I start flaking later then..

hi tikvica, on the kansas website it says the peels are "lightly buffered with a ph of 2.6 their website is www.wizozkansas.com i think the peels do work they maybe just are not as strong as some others around. i will stick with it and do the whole six peels and see what happens