Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ahh, the summer time. No longer do I have to go to school every day! I can sleep as long as I want and the only source of stress is a busy day at work.

So I'm not really worried about who sees my face right now basically. I don't mind people looking at me in public much, and on a day to day basis the main people I see are my family and friends and they never give me shit about having bad skin cuz they're the best :D

I've got a new idea for an experiment. The point is to see how much a role other factors besides diet play a role in my skin.

Here's the premises:

1) Walk, bike or skate EVERYWHERE. No public transportation and no cars. The point is to average atleast a couple hours of strenuous exercise a day. The exception to this rule would be if I'm leaving town.

2) 8 hours of sleep a night.

3) Plenty of sun exposure for the benefits of the sun - hormone balancing, vitamin D and happiness :)

4) Diet - eat whatever I feel for the most part, whether it's foods I'm usually sensitive to like chocolate, wheat, dairy, or the regular healthy foods that keep me thriving like legumes, all fruits and all vegetables. Meats are allowed as well. The exception to this rule is no fast food and trans fats allowed.

5) Continue my supplement regimen - MSM, probiotics, spirulina powder, L-Glutamine and white tea.

If I break out absolutely horribly in the first few days of this I'll stop but so far so good. The main point of this is to see how much exercise can be used as a preventative. Any thoughts?

I don't think that exercising for more than an hour or so is too good for you. The most I'd do is about 60 minutes cardio and 30 minutes of strength. You can do whatever you want. I'm just warning you that you might be a little sore.

I seem to be able to go out in public more too for some reason in the summer.

For sure, the MSM does wonders for soreness. Absolutely amazing supplement as far as that and general energy boost :)

For sure, the MSM does wonders for soreness. Absolutely amazing supplement as far as that and general energy boost :)

Oh. I didn't know that. That's good. hehe.

Ahh, the summer time. No longer do I have to go to school every day! I can sleep as long as I want and the only source of stress is a busy day at work.

So I'm not really worried about who sees my face right now basically. I don't mind people looking at me in public much, and on a day to day basis the main people I see are my family and friends and they never give me shit about having bad skin cuz they're the best :D

I've got a new idea for an experiment. The point is to see how much a role other factors besides diet play a role in my skin.

Here's the premises:

1) Walk, bike or skate EVERYWHERE. No public transportation and no cars. The point is to average atleast a couple hours of strenuous exercise a day. The exception to this rule would be if I'm leaving town.

3) Plenty of sun exposure for the benefits of the sun - hormone balancing, vitamin D and happiness :)

4) Diet - eat whatever I feel for the most part, whether it's foods I'm usually sensitive to like chocolate, wheat, dairy, or the regular healthy foods that keep me thriving like legumes, all fruits and all vegetables. Meats are allowed as well. The exception to this rule is no fast food and trans fats allowed.

5) Continue my supplement regimen - MSM, probiotics, spirulina powder, L-Glutamine and white tea.

If I break out absolutely horribly in the first few days of this I'll stop but so far so good. The main point of this is to see how much exercise can be used as a preventative. Any thoughts?

I think if you are going to do your "experiment" you need to leave your diet "constant" for the time being. Reason being, if you change your exercise regime and your diet and you get better or worse, you won't really know what the underlying cause is. Isolate the variables by only changing one first. First stick to your diet that you are doing now and only change exercise. Note the results. Then after 2 weeks or so, change your diet while exercising and see how that plays a role. Then you will be able to pinpoint exactly how each variable (diet and exercise) interacts with your body/acne. Changing both at the same time will confound the experimental results (Psych 101).

Here's the premises:

Someone replied that more than an hour of exercise may be too much

I will just say to listen to your body, do what you feel like doing but don't exceed it if you don't feel too well

I don't really know how much I exercise because except for studying I live for sport: swimming, runnning, biking, sprinting, surfing, lifting weights, archery, tennis, basketball, volley ball, skating and soccer ... and I think I probably spend more than three hours daily on these activities and well I don't think it makes sense that it could be harmful because we have a body because we're supposed to use, before we became sick and weak and covered up with thick clothes and avoided the sun and lived in close apartments and stopped breathing lot of oxygen ... we lived to be outside and use our body!

I'm glad is mentioning this finally ... bravo! Have you read my controversial post on red mark forum, how much sun is safe thread?

But don't expose to the sun suddenly even if you use sunscreen. Unlike people beliefs there aren't any scientific proof that a tan implies skin damage has already occurred, actually the scientific proofs say that a tan effectively contrast the effects of the sun and it's the natural smart skin protection.

The best way to develop a protective sun is to expose yourself to the sun gradually, beginning with just 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 15. Get plenty of sun exposure only when your body will increase the production of melanin protectin you from the sun

Since you crave healthy nourishing foods anyway, why don't you keep a specific hour of the day for your junk foods? Like for example having a serving of junk sugary stuff everyday always at the same time. This way you will keep having a diet which is 80/90% super healthy and that 10% won't make a difference except for your pleasure but also you will better control which factor may improve or worsen your general health not just your skin one and you may also better detect foods your might be intolerant to

great plan, be consistent and gokod luck !!

Danny

Thanks for the tips Danny and Kimmy. You're right, I probably shouldn't completely sacrifice a diet that's been working for the most part in place of experimentation. But yeah I've been gradually giving my skin more sun for awhile - I'm not one of those people that is afdraid to go outside without any sunscreen (though I was in that phase for about.. 2 weeks awhile back). Yeah in the red marks forum they'll flip shit if you suggest going out unprotected.

I must have biked 15 miles yesterday yet I'm not even a hint sore today! :) Great for oxygenating the body too.

Thanks for the tips Danny and Kimmy. You're right, I probably shouldn't completely sacrifice a diet that's been working for the most part in place of experimentation. But yeah I've been gradually giving my skin more sun for awhile - I'm not one of those people that is afdraid to go outside without any sunscreen (though I was in that phase for about.. 2 weeks awhile back). Yeah in the red marks forum they'll flip shit if you suggest going out unprotected.

I must have biked 15 miles yesterday yet I'm not even a hint sore today! :) Great for oxygenating the body too.

I think the government tells us some pretty lame stuff because I got that time limit from them...

Thats just for everyday joes though. Serious athletes exercise for much longer. I'm basically tryign to live the life of a bike messenger right now :) Biking through downtown traffic and going everywhere I need to go with food as my fuel instead of gas.

Thats just for everyday joes though. Serious athletes exercise for much longer. I'm basically tryign to live the life of a bike messenger right now :) Biking through downtown traffic and going everywhere I need to go with food as my fuel instead of gas.

Yeah. I was thinking that those people a loong time ago that walked all of the time were really fit compared to us. I have walked 10 miles in a day and I was soo sore. It was part of this pioneer thing where we had to walk 30 miles in 3 days.

I really think that average joes are really out of shape... lol

Results: I still break out with eating trigger foods and lots of exercise, but healing time is faster. I'm gonna continue with a much more refined diet that me and my accupuncturist / naturopath came up with after I get back from vacation.

I'll tell you... the increased healing time is the sun exposure.

Hey, what you're doing seems healthy, and the healthier you are, the less acne you have!

yeah.. exercise is a huge variable in maintaining clear skin for me... because it allows me to cheat more on my diet... and i LOVE the summertime because i too can more easily sleep 8 hours, relax, and get all the exercise i want, etc. it's all very good. :cool:

i stay away from sugar, trans fats, nuts, dairy, and refined/processed crap.. but do allow myself to cheat within moderation. if i'm sticking to my diet say, 85% of the time, and exercising religiously (mid-high intensity cardio).. then i'm able to stay clear. of course, adequate sleep and water is essential, too.

during the academic year when work gets hectic and i don't have as much time to devote to exercise i have to be much more strict with my diet... otherwise i will break out.

the only supplements i'm continuing to take now on a daily basis are probiotics, and total EFA oil.

I'll tell you... the increased healing time is the sun exposure.

Hey, what you're doing seems healthy, and the healthier you are, the less acne you have!

yeah, i was always told sun exposure would darken my red marks but it seems to have a beneficial effect, or maybe it's just neutral... either way i'm healing faster and i think its a combination of lots of oxygen/exercise, sun exposure, plenty of rest every night, topical aloe vera, msm supplementing and my good diet :) pretty holistic type stuff.