Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dallas

Nicotine Patches

Hey guys/gals, I'm pretty new to this but I had a couple of questions, and.. I thought someone might know the answer to my questions. Anyways,

I quit smoking for about 6 months now, and I am using the nicotine patch to help me quit.. I notice that when I stopped smoking and started patching, my face started to have more break outs then normal, is this common with the patch?

I am just wondering and am hoping that someone will know the answer to my curious question.

Your friend,

Dallas

Hey, Dallas-

I don't think it's the patch, I just think it's quitting smoking. There's a thread somewhere on the diet/holistic health board about it, titled Cigarettes. I quit a few weeks ago and have been breaking out much more than usual for the last three. I'm not sure what the science is behind it, except that your body was used to it. Apparently, this happens to a lot of people. After six months, do you still experience more breakouts than usual, or was it just initially after quitting? Because I was counting on this passing soon. Also, I used Nicorette for the first two weeks, and my skin has been worse without it, as have my stress levels.

Hey, Dallas-

I don't think it's the patch, I just think it's quitting smoking. There's a thread somewhere on the diet/holistic health board about it, titled Cigarettes. I quit a few weeks ago and have been breaking out much more than usual for the last three. I'm not sure what the science is behind it, except that your body was used to it. Apparently, this happens to a lot of people. After six months, do you still experience more breakouts than usual, or was it just initially after quitting? Because I was counting on this passing soon. Also, I used Nicorette for the first two weeks, and my skin has been worse without it, as have my stress levels.

Thanks for responding, as far as when I initially quit smoking, yes I had a worse break out. The patch makes my skin much more oily, and I kinda feel 'jacked up' on the patch, I guess because my body is not use to nicotine from a cigarette or something.

I've tried to quit, from the patch, and each time, I notice my skin gets a bit more, tone. Hard to explain, but it's not as tight and, contrary, pimples aren't so prelavent. I do think, initially there is a breakout, just to answer you question.

Your friend,

Dallas

Ahh yes, since I've been on the patch for quite a while, I kind of have tried a different variety, here are my results... hopefully some other people will read this and relate, and input:

1. Nicorette - Major increase in breakouts.

2. Wal-Green's Variety - No increase in breakouts but patch isn't very fulfilling.

3. Wal-Marts Brand (Equate) - Just like Wal-Green's, except the patch is what you would expect, and about $15 cheaper than the Nicorette version. (Best choice IMO)

Feedback?