Notifications
Clear all

ACNE DIET, CLEANSING & LEAKY GUT SYNDROME RESOURCE GUIDE

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 06/18/2006 8:53 pm

To All,

I've grown tired of the cynical debates, enjoyed the positive discussions, loved the research, heard the questions, sympathized with the confusion, felt the pain, and finally decided to compile a Resource Guide.

I hope that for those of you with questions, especially the Newbies, you will look to this guide as one of your references.

Now first of all, this is a guide dealing with the development of acne, how diet can play a role, and how leaky gut syndrome (intestinal hyperpermeability) may be at the base of it.

This is NOT a guide discussing or debating "healthy" or why there "isn't enough supportive evidence" to make this a valid form of treatment!

This guide will provide information, tips, support, options, and other resources and tools necessary in order to make following an individualized Acne Diet and/or healing your Leaky Gut a less confusing, HEALTHY, and fun transition.

Furthermore, aside from a few key threads, this will be a predominantly focused on solutions . Answers to what foods to eat, what diets to follow, what tests to take, gut healing regimens etc. There will also be a links section for anyone searching for more in-depth information on this board or elsewhere.

Of course I would greatly appreciate it if any of you (especially you cleansing & healing gurus) that are currently following a specific diet or holistic regimen, that has not been mentioned yet, to chime in and share the following:

Do's & Don'ts of the Diet

(Brief History of the diet)

Customized Diet Regimen

Gut Healing Regimen

Personal Testimony

Etc

As a forewarning, negative comments and arguments about these methods may be edited or removed! This is a positive energy and supportive thread, A Safe Haven, and ALL are welcome to participate if keeping the above in mind. This thread will deal in the possibilities and capabilities of a new improved lifestyle instead of continually focusing on the cants.

I acknowledge that there are different levels of "healthy", but for reasons of sanity and affordablity this thread will be focused on a certain level of healthy in regards to obtaining the proper amount of nutrition & variety while keeping in mind an individual's diet. Please be aware when speaking of your own diet or holistic regimen that you don't downplay what works for someone else.

Finally, I've come to realize that one of the biggest obstacles regarding an improved lifestyle is that a percentage of us have no clue what's sold in the produce isle! No clue as to how to pick produce, let alone how to properly prepare them and cook them. No clue just how many different kinds of food exist in the world in comparison to what their current diet consists of. Nor do people FULLY realize that when one door closes several more open. Hopefully this thread will awaken more of you to just how much more you really DO have as a result!

Peace & Love!

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 06/18/2006 9:16 pm

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 06/18/2006 10:03 pm

Place Holder

MemberMember
(@r-s)

Posted : 06/18/2006 10:23 pm

Gut Healing Regimen

- Avoid foods that you are allergic to: these will directly contribute to inflammation.

- Avoid overeating; this will burden your liver, digestive system, and the rest of your body as a whole.

- L-Glutamine is possibly the most important supplement to heal a leaky gut. Start off with 2 grams a day and work your way up. It is directly involved in maintaining thickness of the gut.

- MSM has also been suggested for leaky gut protocol; it is said to promote healing with new healthy tissue, promote detoxification, rid the body of any intestinal parasites that are holding on to the walls of your gut by competing for receptor sites, and lessen food allergies. A lot of this is theory and not confirmed by clinical trials - nonetheless, it's a noted component of leaky gut healing by many.

- Colostrum helps heal a leaky gut, but it is also dairy and contains IGF-1. It is said to have factors which help the digestive tract redevelop itself as well as immune boosting properties which help ward off unwanted bacterias.

- Probiotics can cause skin rashes in severe cases of leaky gut. If no bad effects are noticed, large amounts of probiots should be taken to boost the "good guys".

- Omega-3's are also said to help, probably due to their ability to lessen inflammation.

- Antioxidants like vitamin C promote healing.

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/leaky_gut.html

http://www.nutri-notes.com/marapr98_simple.htm

MemberMember
(@carmarthenshire)

Posted : 06/19/2006 3:01 pm

I have just been tested for foods and I have had bad news!!! (I have acne but aint that bad just constant)

I have to stay off wheat

milk

sugar

pork

cod liver oil

washing powder(need natural type/special one)

etc

I am gutted she told me my body is sensitive to these items and worse of all alcohol, how can I live please helpppppppppppppp

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 06/20/2006 1:44 pm

I have just been tested for foods and I have had bad news!!! (I have acne but aint that bad just constant)

I have to stay off wheat

milk

sugar

pork

cod liver oil

washing powder(need natural type/special one)

etc

I am gutted she told me my body is sensitive to these items and worse of all alcohol, how can I live please helpppppppppppppp

Well I do thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry to hear that you are sensitive to several main staples. However, do you know what type of test you took? Was it an Allergy Test or a Food, Chemical, Drug Intolerance Test? The difference would be in the antibodies the test was looking for (IgE, IgG, etc). Do you remember? Do you have your test results? What exactly does "etc." mean, what else are you sensitive to?

As for how you can live....by avoiding what you are supposed to! This may aid you in clearing your skin, but most importantly this will stop the silent inflammatory response that is going on inside and hopefully heal any health or hormonal problems or signs & symptoms you may be experiencing. Of course you can live by eating plenty of other foods!

First of all, LOL, this really isn't the most important thing, but you should find out why you can't have alcohol. Is it because alcohol is a fermented product? Or because certain types of alcohol are made from grains, such as wheat, for which you aren't allowed to consume anymore? If you can find out why....perhaps there's still a way for you to have certain types!

Hopefully before the week is over or definately during my 4 day weekend :D (before I head off to summer school), I'll post a few more items for all of you. I'm hoping to put up some diets as well as few book reviews that will hopefully allow you guys to have a calmer and more fulfilled life. In the mean time, some things for you to be aware of:

Look for Food Packaging or Labels that are say:

* Wheat Free or Gluten Free (wheat, barley, rye and certain grain relatives).

* Casien Free, Whey Free, Lactose Free, Milk Free, or Dairy Free. All of these are milk products (incl. yogurt, ice cream, cheese, butter) and you may be affected by them. You may also want to look for foods that are labeled Vegan because this will mean it's also dairy free!

* "Sugar" (and other sweetners): Sugar is in practically everything. Lots of traditional deli meats and lunch meats use at least one type of sugar sweetner. No more sodas, or non 100% fruit juice. Sauces and Seasoning blends have their share too. Well you learn....but there a ways around this and there are seasonings, sauces, drinks, and lunchmeats you can have (natural/organic no wheat or sugar i.e. Shelton Farms), for example.

- White Sugar/Table Sugar/Sucrose/Beet Sugar/Sucanat/Rapidura/Cane Juice/Cane Syrup

- Brown Sugar/Muscovado.....Molasses

- Glucose/Dextrose

- Fructose/Levulose (Fructose + Glucose = Sugar/Sucrose), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Honey, Agave Nectar

- Brown Rice Syrup

(You should find out if it's only sugar or other types of natural sweeteners as well)

Don't be fooled by products that are labeled "Sugar Free" or "No Sugar Added" this usually means that they've added an artificial sweetner for which some people can have problems with such as headaches and other people can get acne from them. However there are other sweeteners that are natural and may not pose a problem for you (i.e. vegetable glycerin, stevia, xylitol)

"Contains Pork" Pork, Bacon, Ham, Spam, maybe even certain Hot dogs.

(Labels may also say what ingredients they contain in BOLD that are the top allergens. This may also help you in avoiding ingredients that you are sensitive to.)

Initially you aren't going to be thrilled with label reading but it may save your life one day! I did it for about a month and got VERY good at it. Most foods at a regular grocery store I can't eat if it's prepackaged/boxed/canned/frozen meals and I can find the ingredients of my concern usually in the time it takes to snap my fingers. I pick up an item and usually put it right back, but every now and then.. some item will surpise me!

What you have to do is learn the art of shopping online, at farmers markets, and natural food stores. This is where you are going to find most of your Wheat-Free, Gluten free, Dairy Free, and Vegan items. All though Walmart is supposed to be labeling their foods Wheat/Gluten Free, they currently haven't changed their recipes in the deli department (i.e. baked chicken) to accomdate (it's sooo easy). Albertsons has started to include Gluten Free Items. If you have a Trader Joes (I don't ) they are supposed to be really good with this stuff. Otherwise I guess you may be looking for a gourmet food store, group co-op natural food store, Whole Foods Market, Sun Harvest, etc.

Honestly, with your test results did you get a list of foods you are able to still eat? Didn't they give you a list of recipes, tips, organizations and other resources in order to help you make this transition? If not, this is also the goal of this thread so please check back again soon. However, to get you started:

Carry your diet in your pocket!

http://www.dietarycard.com/

https://www.menudata.com/

The Wheat-Free Life

http://www.wheat-free.org/app/directory/USA

http://www.raleys.com/cfapps/healthnotes/h...ntentID=1068009

Unsweetened "Milk" Substitutes

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...topic=81707&hl=

MemberMember
(@gm888)

Posted : 07/04/2006 8:48 am

Hey SweetJade I've been reading your posts for years now but have never registered til now!

Just wanna thank-you so much for what you bring to this board. Thank God there are boards like this and people like you out there, otherwise I'd probably be on accutane again right now...

I went on accutane when I was 17 -18 and my acne has come back every year since then, (I'm 22 now) each time worse than the last, until Ive managed to get each episode under control. I was completely clear for about a year while i was on Spironalactone. I stopped taking it after a year or so because I wasn't comfortable putting drugs in my body.

But it's flared up like crazy once again, I've even taken a month off work so I don't have to stress about make up and so I can just work on healing myself. I understand that this is internal and has a lot to do with diet, but I've struggled with all sorts of eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, binge eating, the lot!!) in the past. I have an emotional connection with food and I'll try eliminating crappy foods and I'll last two days before going back to eating foods that I know trigger my acne... I am not overweight but do have problems with body image... acne hasn't helped! ;)

OK, sorry to ramble, what I want to ask you is this: I'm back on Spironalctone and am getting photo dynamic therapy... I realise I need to change my diet and I've finally made the real commitment to do so. But i'm wondering if taking spiro and having photodynamic therapy will just hinder my efforts for healthy insides... I'm scared to stop these treatments incase I get a worse breakout. I've only been on spiro for 6 weeks and am getting my second PDT treatment tomorrow... Is this drug and treatment doing more damage than good in your opinion?

Do you think I should just stop all my treatments and concentrate on eating right and cleaning out my bowles and liver, among other things??

So sorry for the long post... But you are just fabulous and I really would appreciate your advice. :)

Lots of love,

xxoo Germaine.

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 07/04/2006 4:33 pm

Hey SweetJade I've been reading your posts for years now but have never registered til now!

Just wanna thank-you so much for what you bring to this board. Thank God there are boards like this and people like you out there, otherwise I'd probably be on accutane again right now...

I went on accutane when I was 17 -18 and my acne has come back every year since then, (I'm 22 now) each time worse than the last, until Ive managed to get each episode under control. I was completely clear for about a year while i was on Spironalactone. I stopped taking it after a year or so because I wasn't comfortable putting drugs in my body.

But it's flared up like crazy once again, I've even taken a month off work so I don't have to stress about make up and so I can just work on healing myself. I understand that this is internal and has a lot to do with diet, but I've struggled with all sorts of eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, binge eating, the lot!!) in the past. I have an emotional connection with food and I'll try eliminating crappy foods and I'll last two days before going back to eating foods that I know trigger my acne... I am not overweight but do have problems with body image... acne hasn't helped! ;)

OK, sorry to ramble, what I want to ask you is this: I'm back on Spironalctone and am getting photo dynamic therapy... I realise I need to change my diet and I've finally made the real commitment to do so. But i'm wondering if taking spiro and having photodynamic therapy will just hinder my efforts for healthy insides... I'm scared to stop these treatments incase I get a worse breakout. I've only been on spiro for 6 weeks and am getting my second PDT treatment tomorrow... Is this drug and treatment doing more damage than good in your opinion?

Do you think I should just stop all my treatments and concentrate on eating right and cleaning out my bowles and liver, among other things??

So sorry for the long post... But you are just fabulous and I really would appreciate your advice. :)

Lots of love,

xxoo Germaine.

Germaine,

Oh please I'm sure if we took a vote, I'd win as being THE queen of long posts, so you have nothing to apologize for!

I'm a proponent for working with doctors in terms of getting the lab tests run for diagnosis, as well as taking prescription drugs if that is neccessary or is your choice.

I don't believe in ceasing prescription drugs or other treatments unless you believe it is hurting you or is no longer neccessary. In which case I hope you will speak with your doctor about reducing and/or ceasing your current regimen.

Based on your experiences it's obvious your acne is hormonally related. I would keep doing everything you are doing, but I would also get a referral to see an Endocrinologist. However, if you get the referral, you will have to go off of Spironolactone for 2 - 3 months because it seems to work well enough for you that it's altering your blood hormones, etc and your baseline lab results may show up negative (for not having a hormonal disorder) indicating that there isn't a problem.

Unfortunately, while I've seen diet work for members with eating disorders, sometimes the eating disorder eventually wins out again. I haven't learned what to do when providing special diet advice for those with eating disorders yet, but my guess is that you have two or three options:

1st Choice:

Get a Diagnosis from an Endocrinoligist. Have a sheet with your acne history, your's & your family's health and hormonal history, and any complications you may be experiencing that may be related. Get a Diagnosis and take the appropriate prescription drugs. If you prefer, you can also take the appropriate supplements in conjunction with the drugs or instead of (speak with your doctor).

2nd Choice:

If you get a diagnosis and it appears to be linked to diet, then you can speak with other members on this board regarding how to deal with food hypersensitivities through detoxing, cleansing, liver flushing etc. This works wonders for some members that had major hypersensitivites, PCOS, IR, Intestinal Hyperpermeability etc so it may work for you. This way, no worries about food and eventually you may be able to go off your medications. Please note, after a series of cleansings, this method is something you will have to do as a maintence maybe 2 - 3x a year depending on how much you enjoy your diet ;)

3rd Choice:

If your diagnosis indicates that your hormonal disorder is diet linked and/or this is absolutely the route you want to go, then the best way to do this is with the guidance of a Dietician and through a Food Hypersensitivity Test (see this thread for those possibly relevant for acne http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=101599 ). I can not suggest that you do any of the methods most of us do to save money on this board. Your BEST bet if you are going to do this is to get the blood work run, and find out what foods (or other elements) you are hypersensitive too. Depending on the company you choose (covered by insurance sometimes), you will recieve 3 months - 12 months company provided support. You will recieve 2 or 3 food lists containing: Beneficial/Safe, Unbeneficial/Unsafe, and Neutral food lists. From these lists with the help of your Dietician you will follow the Safe Food list and dabble with the Neutral list and completely ignore any food on the Unsafe list. That way, there isn't much concern for you. You won't have to worry about food or even think about it as long as you follow what's on those lists!

I honestly believe that one of the three are your best routes to go with regards to treating your acne and finding out if you have an undiagnosed hormonal or metabolic disorder. Depending on how persistant some of your symptoms may be your current drug and therapy regimen may be beneficial but at a reduced dose or frequency. Of course, if you do opt to follow one of the last two choices, you may find that spironolactone and PDT is no longer neccessary. Until then I wouldn't be concerned, just keep getting your periodic lab work run to ensure that spiro or the drugs that are prescribed for your pending hormonal disorder, aren't negatively affecting you, and look forward to see a much vaster amount of improvement!

All the best

P.S. What dose of spiro are you one?

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 07/19/2006 7:23 pm

OK, I love how everyone has contributed so far....guess I can't feel too bad about not posting as frequently as I had hoped. Summer school, work, etc have got me bogged down but darn it....I REALLY want you guys to have this info so I'm just gonna post it! Read it carefully as there's something in it for some of you...

** My first book reccommendation is for Wellness Foods A to Z **

I chose this book because it shows you PICTURES of food! You find out what a particular food looks like, how to shop for it at a grocery store, how to cook it, and what nutrients it contains. It's a hugh 640 page book and I thinks its definately worth the price!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/092966170...ce&n=283155

** My 2nd recommendation is for The Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Infertlility. **

Please DO NOT let this title deter you...if you are or suspect that you are in any way Glucose Intolerant (Insulin Resistant, Type II Diabetic, etc) male or female this may be the book for you. I believe this is especially true for those of you that are having trouble following some of the diets on this board. I don't believe in "one size fits all diets" but this one happens to incorporate a lot of theories out there that some members, perhaps yourself, may have tried. It takes into account, low carbing, acid-alkaline diet, Blood Type Diet/Eat Right 4 Your Type, paleo diet, as well as individual food hypersensitivites (which I still need to cover later). As a result, you end up with a book that's provides a diet that's:

Moderate Carbohydrate

Moderate Protein

Moderate Fat

High in Fiber

High in Fruits & Vegetables

No Refined Sugars

NO Gluten Grains

No Dairy

And some other aspects that I don't wish to give away.... ;)

The main thing about this book though is that you can get it as an E-book or as a hard copy Paperback. Personally after owning both versions of the E-book and now owning the Paperback I have to say that if for no other reason the ability to use the recipes....the hard copy is the better option. This book contains 538 pages divided into 17 chapters and includes:

Dozens of areas of information

Section for Vegetarians

Section for Preganant Women

Shopping List

Cooking Tips

30 Day Meal Plan

150+ Recipes (over 100 pages)

Supplement reccommendations

Resources

References

etc

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/pcos-book-res.html

For the most part it basically contains most things that had I published an ebook would have wanted to include because I feel they are essential for surviving a new dietary lifestyle! {1st 3...} It comes in two different levels, a Reccommended Level and a Maintenance Level. For those curious the Recommended level is what most members including myself are following to some degree through our own trial & errors (via some time of Eliminaiton diet). {people to...} However for those that get the book, you may not have to go through what we went through and the BEST part is that these recipes are soo customized diet friendly! There are recipes for:

Meals

Meat

Seafood

Poultry

Eggs

Soup

Salad

Vegetables

Sauces

Smoothies

Snacks

Oh but what is even BETTER, is that these recipes are 95% Nut free (but you can substitute or leave out) 99% Sweetner-Free (natural or artificial), 100% Grain-Free , 100% Dary-Free, and Trans Fat Free! {contact me...} This book was written inconjunction with a Naturopathic Doctor (her daughter had acne too) so these meals and recipes are so completely healthy and man....the recipes, the sauces...the soups....so yummy! You can read more about the authors and check out the first two chapters here: http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/support-...reechapters.pdf

Furthermore, the book also includes information regarding how significant a role exercise can play on reducing insulin resistance! {and will} As well as providing information regarding Insulin Resistance and Leptin Resistance (may explain why some of us aren't underweight while others are overweight with acne-prone skin), and how this disease is now being considered a Chronic Silent Inflammatory Disease and thus where inidividual food hypersensitivities come into play. {hook you up...} ......If you've NEVER tried dieting before and want to! Based on what I've heard from others regarding their diets, and how similar it is to my diet (very similar), this book may just be a good and healthy starting point for you or perhaps your ultimate solution!

Sorry, I've gotta run, but I'll catch back up with you all, except for a select few, in about 2 weeks or so.

Peace, love, hugs!

MemberMember
(@apple_blossem)

Posted : 07/27/2006 9:34 am

This really really really worked for me. I have used it for two years. I had terrible acne before. Now i have flawless skin.

Go buy some vitamin b5. It's known as Pantothenic Acid.

You'll notice that it clears acne in 3 days... I've used it for two years.

Its not the food you are eating... I'm a nutrionalist. Notice how many people on this site are taking b5 and are cured.

IF you want to have a healthy diet, eat all the fruits, veggies and certain grains (I've heard from tons of people to avoid wheat. but there are many other grains that aren't wheat related) you want (except white, refined flours...which suck out all of the b vitamins from your bodies.)

---------------------------------

Here are some interesting facts about diet... is this affecting your acne? Did you know that chickens are so contaminated with fecal matter when shiped out to stores for selling thate the USDA is thinking about proposing a Fecal Limit Regulation? However, that will take several years to pass.

Go vegetarian... you'll find you are MUCH healither in many ways of life. The animals you are eating are not even HEALTHY!! The factory farmed animals you eat are fed pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides, growth hormones, antibiotics, appetite stimulants and aflatoxins that collect in the animals' tissues and milk. Their nourrishing diet is ground-up feathers, dried blood, cow and pig brains and a staple diet of 30% baking soda... to make them feel full and to save money. They never breath clean air, they breath ammonia gases which is a gas that comes off the manure and they NEVER exercise to make sure their meat is very tender. In fact, they are kept in TINY stalls - so small that they cannot turn around or walk, to ensure the muscles are tender. They are also fed a diet that induces anemia. Is this healthy for us to eat??

Animals with cancerous lesions and pus-filled wounds are certitified as "USDA Pure."

Only external cancerous growths are removed... because they dont have time to go looking for all of the animals' problems in the 25 minutes it takes to turn them into a hamburger. And 30% of cows have these wounds - because there are no vets.

Anyway, it is certainly not good on our overall health to be continually eating sick cows that lived in a stall all day (factory-farmed animals).

If you think about it, what would you rather eat? A healthy cow raised in a green pasture on grass and pure water who has exercised... or to continually consume animals that are limping, have sores but are pumped full of chemicals that destroy their liver and other chemicals, who has breathed poisonous gases and antibiotic-laiden water? A 10 min documentary that was on tv is here: http://www.meat.org

According the American Cancer Society, eating meat raises the risk of cancer by 60%, the risk of Osteoporosis by 90%, and all health problems in general by 40%.

Your diet will not be restrictive... check out some of these dinner pics: http://www.cok.net/lit/recipes/

I eat veggie chilli, spaghetti, veggie burgers (sold almost everywhere), etc. My diet in fact has become more diverse ;)

MemberMember
(@r-s)

Posted : 07/27/2006 11:39 am

^ ^ ^ Making duplicate posts everywhere will only make you lose credibility for spamming.

MemberMember
(@gm888)

Posted : 07/30/2006 3:07 am

Hey Sweetjade,

I was diagnosed with PCOS on Thursday... I've been on Spiro for two months and I'm back on Diane (I've tried for a long time to avoid this but now that I found out I have PCOS, I know it will definitely help me to get clear.)

I would just like to know your opinion on whether eating a strictly loooowwww sugar diet will really help the clearing process, seeing has it turns out I'm insulin resistant.

Do you think living on organic chicken, tuna, broccoli, avocado, onion & capsicum for a couple of weeks will really help my skin for now? I'll slowly add foods back in when I'm clear and feelin great. :D

Thanks heaps for your help,

-Germaine.

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 07/30/2006 3:11 pm

Hey Sweetjade,

I was diagnosed with PCOS on Thursday... I've been on Spiro for two months and I'm back on Diane (I've tried for a long time to avoid this but now that I found out I have PCOS, I know it will definitely help me to get clear.)

I would just like to know your opinion on whether eating a strictly loooowwww sugar diet will really help the clearing process, seeing has it turns out I'm insulin resistant.

Do you think living on organic chicken, tuna, broccoli, avocado, onion & capsicum for a couple of weeks will really help my skin for now? I'll slowly add foods back in when I'm clear and feelin great. :D

Thanks heaps for your help,

-Germaine.

Hi Germaine!

I'm actually glad you posted in this thread, it can be used as a reference point for other women (and men) going through this same thing...chronic Insulin Resistance.

First of all, I dont know exactly what your doctor told you, but there are several types of hormones that can be off balance when we are talking about classic PCOS and the inability to ovulate. You could be defficient in Progesterone, Estrogen, LH etc. I know you've read the book, but for those unaware below is an excerpt from the website on the symptoms of PCOS

Polycystic ovarian syndrome presents a complex and baffling array of symptoms, consisting of some combination of the following symptoms that vary with each individual:

* Multiple ovarian cysts

* Irregular or absent menses

* Infertility

* Acne

*Obesity or inability to lose weight

* Excessive body or facial hair (hirsutism)

* Insulin resistance and possibly diabetes

* Thinning of scalp hair

*Velvety, hyperpigmented skin folds (acanthosis nigricans)

* High blood pressure

*Polycystic ovaries that are 2-5 times larger than healthy ovaries.

*Multiple hormone imbalances, commonly including:

- Androgens (testosterone)

- Cortisol

- Estrogens

- FSH (follicle stimulating hormone)

- Insulin.

- LH (luteinizing hormone)

- Progesterone

- Prolactin.

- Thyroid hormones.

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/pcos.html

I carry 6 of the above symptoms (plus dysmenorrhea), none of which are the classic symptoms such as high blood pressure, obesity, or annovulation. Through my dietary efforts, most of my symptoms have been vastly reduced or resolved entirely. Furthermore, based on various clinical studies, other's testimonies from the books & forums I'll link you to at the end: reduced hirsutism, clearer skin, reduced hyperandrogenism, improved insulin sensitivity, ovulation, pregnancy (after years of trying with drugs), etc YES, I do believe that if you follow the proper diet, (supplement,) and exercise regimen that you can not only be acne free, but also ovulate on your own without birth control!!!

1) Any drug you use to control your acne is NOT treating the problem unless it is treating Insulin Resistance.

2) Birth Control, I believe it was Diane-35, has been shown in at least one study, to increase Insulin Resitance (probably because it's not treating the problem, only masking it).

3) Birth Control is designed to either improve/clear acne, allow for normal ovulation, AND prevent you from getting pregnant.

4) If you ever wanted to get pregnant, you may not be able to do so because you don't ovulate normally UNLESS you are on Birth Control...which is designed to prevent pregnancy!

Does that make sense?

Therefore, the BEST thing you can do is find out which of the previously mentioned hormones are off balance and get treated accordingly. If you:

Lack Progesterone - use Vitex/Chaste Tree Berry, Micronized Progesterone, or Natural Progesterone Cream (NPC) to balance your progesterone levels, clear skin, menstruate, and ....one day concieve.

Have Excess Androgens - You may continue with Sprionolactone and/or take Insulin Sensitizing Drugs, Supplements, and follow new Dietary methods. Your androgen level may also be dependent on the health of your adrenal gland so it is very important to find out what the source of your androgen imbalance is because treating an andrenal imbalance requires different medication (usually glucocorticoids or some other supplement).

Lack Cortisol - Again an adrenal issue, but the one that is similar in symptoms to PCOS is Non-Classical Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia or NCCAH. The treatment is Glucocorticoids and for some people, it's only a temporary treatment until they are able to produce sufficient amounts of cortisol on their own and for other's it's permenant. NCCAH can produce similar symptoms because our adrenal glands produce DHEA androgen and just as with Insulin Resistance (see below) if you are defcient in cortisol (due to one of several enzyme defects) than the adrenal gland will work overtime to try to produce it, thus overproducing other hormones along the way that mess up the body's homeostasis.

Diagnosed Hypothyroid - in conjunction to one of the above or below disorders, this is another way that you can have off balance hormones, in particular SHBG (which binds Free Androgens) and also increases inflammation throughout your system. This is treated with thyroid medication and also dietary changes that are very specific for those with thyroid imbalances (anti-goitrogenic or reduced goitrogenic diet).

Diagnosed Insulin Resistant - this can be due to a multitude of enzyme defects, but with regards to those of us with acne, it can increase our androgen production, inflammation, growth factors and decrease a variety of other hormones or hormone regulators that are used to keep our body functioning normally and properly regulated. Treatments for this vary from Glucophage/Metaformin prescription drugs, to NAC antioxidant supplement, to a host of dietary regimens. From what I've seen in myself and on other message boards, the more you put your faith in your diet (or liver healing) the BETTER the results are.

* You can take 30 pills a day, exercise vigorously, and follow a "low carb diet" and still not ovulate normally or achieve clear skin.

* OR you can follow a diet that appears to be more "strict" and perhaps not have to take any supplements, and ovulate normally, conceive (if you want) and achieve clear or clearer skin.

Have Long-Term Background Inflammation (LTBI) - AKA, Silent Chronic Inflammatory Disease, Subclinical Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome, etc. This is the latest discovery or theory as to what's behind Insulin Resistance, and thus the Metabolic Syndrome, and.............usually All the symptoms these diseases entail! This is also linked to other inflammatory diseases such as certain auto-immune diseases. This formof inflammation is classified as either a Type III or Type IV Hypersensitivity Reaction for which you can get tested for (easiest but not the most accurate method). It is believed that for most of these diseases of this type, are a result of acquiring damage to our intestinal barrier known medically as Intestinal Hyperpermeabilty or in laymen's terms, Leaky Gut (LGS) and this can also be tested for. Thus, the treatment is to heal our intestinal hyperpermeabilty by removing the source of damage and constant irritation (foods, parasites, fungi, etc) which varies per individual because of the multitude of different environments (internal & external) we have exposed ourselves to throughout our lives.

So those are some possibilities for you or for those reading this post. There are a variety of options and some will ultimately work better for you....regardless of the way you personally feel or prefer to treat yourself. Please don't make the mistake of thinking that if your problems are in part a result of sendatary lifestyle and diet that just because there's a prescription drug to treat it, you don't have to make some serious lifestyle alterations (no smoking, reduced alochol consumtion, low - no sugar diet, etc). You can exercise daily and still get a stroke if you are munching on Big Macs. You can take your glucophage which is designed to reduce the amount of insulin you secrete, but if you are still consuming foods that signifcantly RAISE you insulin levels (or inflammation) than you are essentially oppossing the efforts that your medication is trying to do for you!

Germaine, I truly wish you the best of luck in figuring out how you want to do this. I'm extremely happy to hear that you've finally got a diagnosis (depsite one doctor saying you had normal androgen levels) because this will help guide you in make clearer and more informed decisions on how to treat yourself vs. experimenting in the dark w/o a clue as to what's wrong on the inside. I hope that the book(s), the message boards, and the results of myself and others (i.e. Densis2 solved her's holistically through liver flushes, etc), will guide you and give you the faith and support you may need throughout your journey.

For more information, please visit the following:

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/ (book & info)

http://www.infertilityphysician.com/androgen/pcos.html (Men & Women)

http://www.fertilityforall.com (book & test)

http://www.epc-odx.com (ditto)

http:/www.pcosliving.com (forum)

http://soulcysters.net (forum)

http://www.pcosupport.org (forum)

Leaky Gut Syndrome & Liver Support

http://www.liverdoctor.com

http://www.sensiblehealth.com

http://www.curezone.com

http://www.askshelley.com

Tests for proper diagnosis through your specialist (Endocrinologist, Allergist, etc):

Various Tests http://www.labtestsonline.org/

LGS Test http://www.gdx.net/home/assessments/ip/

Available tests w/o a doctor (some may be accepted by health insurance if you go through your doctor):

1) ALCAT: $87.50 - $1000 US http://www.alcat.com (Type III & Type IV Hypersensitivity)

2) York Test: Food Interolance Test $379 US http://www.allergy-testing.com/ or amazon.com (Type III)

3) Immogenics/NOVO: $555 US http://www.immogenics.com (Type IV)

(4) Immune Activation Avoidance Program (IAAP): $1500 U.S http://www.fertilityforall.com (Type IV)

*most available world-wide

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=101599

http://www.bodybalance.com/ (saliva & hair testing)

http://www.aag-labs.com/ (various lab tests)

http://www.health-tests-direct.com/ (various panels & tests)

MemberMember
(@gm888)

Posted : 07/31/2006 3:51 am

Oh wow, Sweetjade, thankyou so much for your reply with the info and links, I found all the info extremely helpful! :) I'm sure many others will too.

Ok, I'm a little freaked out by what you said about Diane increasing IR... Diane along with Spiro has cleared me in the past... At this stage I'm hoping that I can stay on Diane & Spiro until I'm clear and have really perfected (and wholeheartedly accepted) my necessary diet and lifestyle changes...

Do you think there's a chance that Diane could make my acne worse for now? Also, if it does increase IR, will my IR decrease to it's previous state once I go off it?

I've only been on Diane for three days... Will that affect any hormone tests I get? I want to be tested for the all the hormones you mentioned, plus make sure my adrenal gland is in order.

I'm going to do my first liver flush sometime this week. Wish me luck! :) I would like to get the 150 food ALCAT test, but at this stage don't have the money... But it's something I definitely I want to do once I get the money together.

I can't thank you enough for all your help. My dad's a doctor... He's always been able to help me with the drugs I need but when it comes to understanding what is happening with my skin and body and what I need to do to fix it, your help has been invaluable. Thankyou SO MUCH!!!

xxoo Germaine.

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 07/31/2006 3:35 pm

Germaine,

I certainly didn't mean to freak you out about the birth control. However it's something I wanted to point out because it may be the drug itself or it may be due to the fact that these people were already experiencing or insulin resistant prone. I'll have to find that article again.

However.....you will need to cease Diane 35, Spironolactone and any other drug you may taking (if sick...that includes antibiotics) in order to get a TRUE baseline of lab results (unless your doctor says it doesn't interefere with the hormones in question). If you are taking antibiotics you may want to wait maybe a month after you've finished your course.

I know when I was on BC and Spiro I waited 2 - 3 months after ceasing those drugs before I got tested for Insulin Resistance, Hypercoritolism, Hypothyroid, etc....nearly the works, LOL. I actually got a treatment baseline done with those drugs and then a true baseline without. It was sad to see that at the dosages I was taking they had lowered my Free Testosterone and DHEA by half, but still not enough...which is why I was usually about 60% - 70% clear (Summertime maybe 80%).

It's really good to hear that your dad's a doctor though. He should hopefully be able to answer some questions for you and give you all the support you need in obtaining these lab tests and any neccessary medication if you chose this route.

Once again, you probably do not need Diane-35. Once you start taking Metaformin or some other drug (i.e. progesterone) that's more appropriate for treating PCOS/IR you may find your acne improves and you can menstruate normally. After your tests, you can definately keep with the Spironolactone if you have symptoms of androgenic alopecia or hirsutism because it will better aid than other natural treatments available.

Of course you are free to do as you please. I know that around my last month off the drugs I was aching to get back on because I was starting to break out more, which is when my Endocrinologist said that I was probably either PCOS or IR and so he put me on Metaformin (made me sick) and a month later switched to Avandia. Loved Avandia (too bad it increases osteoporosis), alone it only got me 60% clear so then I added in 150mg of Spiro and that improved things greatly up to (85% clear in the Summertime). However, still wasn't 100% or even 90% clear and that's when I became more involved in these boards and discovered my BIG answer.

I was 95% clear within a month or two! It was so significant that even my Endocrionologist commented on my skin (NEVER happened during the previous year on Avandia & Spiro). Of course I was ALSO on Avandia, Spiro, and Antibiotics at the time I changed my diet so I didn't know what to give credit to. I ceased the antibiotics, and then later I ceased the Avandia and I was soooo afraid to do so. I was dealing with Organic Chemistry, Lack of Sleep and IBS symptoms (from lack of fiber), Bi-monthly periods (thanks to lacking fiber to flush hormones?) and it was nearing November and the middle of my 8 - 9 Breakout Cycle (where my skin is always worse) and....I didn't know what was going to happen!

Nothing happened.

For as horrible as I was treating myself and even with the wacky symptoms I was experiencing....my new diet prevailed! Of course after doing a couple of different tests and taking other medication....it was finally deduced that my IBS had no cause and I was told to take Fiber and that resovlved those problems instantly. So...eat your vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and if need be....Benefiber and you won't have to experience what I went through for a few months ;)

I was in so much shock. Over the past 16 years of having acne, nothing I had ever used could successfully treat my body acne until I changed my diet according to my disorder. Of course thanks to antibiotic treatment a few years prior, I had developed new acne and on new areas of my face and body....which my diet also resolved. That's how I knew I had found something that worked for me. It had ELIMINATED my breakout cycle (and my painful menstrual cramps)! Nothing happens to me now that affects my skin unless I eat something that I know I shouldn't (or use some irritating skin care product). Otherwise, thanks to further research and diet improvement, I'm always at least 99% clear. Every day. Every month. Every year...for the past 4 years.

Intially, it took me about 1 1/2 years before I was comfortable and ready to fully embrace that this was thanks to my dietary changes (even though I was tested before the change and am not Gluten Intolerant) because I also had to cease using Spironolactone to be certain. So I understand why you don't want to let go of Diane-35 ;) However perhaps after you've changed your diet for a while you will want to experiement with drug reduction (of Spiro) and prehaps even ceasation. You wont ever know what's working for you unless you do one day stop taking the drugs and I hope when you do, as myself and others have found to be true, you won't need them anymore!

All my best

MemberMember
(@spottedone)

Posted : 08/01/2006 12:10 am

I am very interested in this thread. I am 33 years old and have had moderate acne since my early teen years. There have been times when my acne was more mild and a few times when I was very clear (for about a year after a course of Accutane when I was 23 and the four years I was on birth control, which I came off of two years ago). But now my acne has gotten fairly bad. I guess I would not say it is severe but I do have 3-4 deep cysts nearly constantly and lots and lots of little whiteheads and red bumps. The breakouts are mostly on my chin, around my mouth, and on my forehead. I never touch these areas (except to wash and apply products)

I have for the past several months tried all sorts of topical treatments moving more and more towards natural substances (Jojoba, Tea Tree, etc . . .). But nothing is working. At all.

I am more and more convinced it is all coming from the inside. I don't know if it is food or hormone related or both. Oddly the last year is the most healthy food year I have ever had (almost all organic) and also the worst my acne has ever been. My menstrual cycle is also the most regular it has ever been. Like clockwork really. So what is causing my crappy skin?

I have just cut out dairy in the hope that it may help but I am at my wits end. I would like to find something that would start improving things relatively soon (or at least give me a sign that things are moving in the right direction). It is so disheartening to look at my inflamed face everday and it also really hurts.

Also, I have been exercising regularly (5x a week) for the first time in my life and it seems to be making my skin worse. This does not make sense to me. Shouldn't it be helping clear things out? It's been 5 months.

Anyway, I am glad this thread exists and I hope it can help me. I definitely think my digestive system is a bit off.

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 08/01/2006 8:03 am

Spottedone,

I can't give much of reply today, but I wanted you to look at this thread here. Toward the bottom I listed some specialists that one should see and when you've got acne for as long as you have, it's definately a good idea to see an Endocrinologist to find out what's going on.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=106818

Bye for now!

MemberMember
(@gm888)

Posted : 08/01/2006 9:07 am

Thanks again for an excellent post SweetJade!!

I have done a little research and from what I can see, yes, Diane can indeed increase Insulin Resistance... I certainly don't want that! Maybe I'd be better off taking something like Androcur??

Umm, I haven't actually been diagnosed with Insulin Resistance... I just figured it was a given, considering I have ovarian cysts & acne. I guess I should consider myself lucky... I've never had any hirsutism problems, and only have acne on my face, not on my body. I've never really been overweight but I have had fluctuations in my weight... That was more to do with poor eating habits (sugar addiction!!) and depression... Perhaps I could blame both those things on PCOS too? ;)

I have an appointment with my gyno (he's not an endocrinologist) at the end of August which is a little frustrating.. He couldn't fit me in any sooner and told me to go on Diane until we could further discuss treatments. Perhaps I'll call a few endocrinologists tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment some time soon.

The hormone level tests I wanted to get will have to be put on hold... At this stage I'm not willing to go off Spiro for fear of yet even worse skin. I stopped taking antibiotics a couple of days ago... Seems they don't get anything but bad press around here. For good reason I'm sure!

That's absolutely wonderful that you've been clear for four years with diet and lifestyle changes alone. I'm already feeling the effects of the PCOS diet in my mind and body... Just waiting for it to show on my skin now. :)

Thanks again for your wonderful posts, you give me so much hope... and I know I'm not the only one!

Hope you're well,

xxoo Germaine.

MemberMember
(@pinky_shushu)

Posted : 08/09/2006 6:17 am

Hey Sweetjade,

I've never seen you mention the Omega 3 balance... Do you think you're just getting the right balance now naturally from your diet, or it doesn't factor in for you personally? Just curious...

Katy

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/09/2006 2:06 am

shite are u still here sweetjade? (aka longjade)

I've conquered acne with NOD (Natural & Organic Diet) = No Acne, simple. NOD Rules!

NOD NOD NOD

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 09/09/2006 9:41 am

shite are u still here sweetjade? (aka longjade)

I've conquered acne with NOD (Natural & Organic Diet) = No Acne, simple. NOD Rules!

NOD NOD NOD

LOL, yeah, but I'm not needed as much anymore. Members aren't arguing over whether diet/food causes acne, but rather WHICH diet is the best for preventing acne! ;)

Big change in the past few months, but we've got some brilliant members of this board and I trust they will take care of things just nicely.

I did however create this sticky thread for as a reference source months ago. Just a few weeks ago members were asking for individual sticky posts covering a variety of topics. I just don't think it's feasible to have 10 or 15 sticky posts, especially when they are all relating to various diets or b5 or some other holistic regimen...hence why this thread was created. Yet no one is adding their personal stories or providing an overview of a particular diet or cleansing method that they've found success in so...what to do.

Say, since NOD works for you, please add it to this thread and maybe more will do the same.

Peace

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/13/2006 2:58 am

Say, since NOD works for you, please add it to this thread and maybe more will do the same.

Peace

NOD is really simple to follow, any food that's natural and organic (N&O) eat it, if its not N&O don't eat it

this is my daily diet:

Breakfast

- muesli (rolled oats) with orange and mango juice

- vegetable juice

- corn

- sweet potatoes

- eggs (if scrambled add soy milk) - i eat the free range eggs (chickens that haven't been drugged up)

- tea

- water

- salmon

- rice cakes

- avocados

- lime or lemon for flavouring, I use a veggie spice instead of salt

Lunch

- brown rice, meat, seafood, tomatoes, carrots, bok choy, any vegetables

- cooking oil: extra virgin olive oil

- fruits

Dinner

- same as lunch

Downside: It really empties your wallet, you can only really buy like less than 1% of the food in the supermarket, its really difficult to find N & O foods but just shop over the internet - much easier, you have to keep looking at the packaging and spot stuff like no added sugar, artifical colors, flavours etc.

Upside: Greater nutritional value, greater health, you never get sick (save on indirect costs like medical bills, no need to buy skincare products, loss of labor), no acne, less oily skin

a wise man once said...."man steals but nature heals "

MemberMember
(@cjb)

Posted : 09/28/2006 11:53 pm

The important thing to understand is that the diet that will help each person will be different depending on the underlying issues. I strongly recommend getting tests as well, because they can help solve mysteries.

For me, a stool test and a blood test put me on the right track. I discovered I was extremely anemic and that I had an overgrowth of klebsiella - a 'bad' bacteria that feeds on starch. I took 2 logical steps - I started eating meat and I cut way back on the starches. Hey presto, no more acne. I'll outline my diet, but I just want to stress that I think it worked so well because it directly addressed MY issues. That being said, many people seem to have success with some type of 'low carb' diet. I read about a few of them, and now I don't follow any specific one, but instead what I have found works for me through trial and error.

I eat;

eggs, meat, vegetables, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit/dried fruit/applesauce, nuts. I might eat beans or potatoes once or twice a week. I've been doing this (and keeping a food/symptom journal) since mid-June with good results.

MemberMember
(@stefy)

Posted : 10/29/2006 12:28 pm

I'm having troubles eating right, because last month I moved into my apartment (to get to Uni, in another town) and lunches are the worst. I usually eat something at Uni because I don't even have lunch time, and when I have it, I have to move from my faculty to another and I don't have really time for it...

So, my face is getting so muchcia worst, of course, and even at dinner because I don't live alone, and the shopping list is made from both of us, and we don't really have that much room to take all different foods...

I have never thought that my acne was diet related, since I didn't think I had that bad of a diet last year, but I surely had bad acne, (which completely cleared up after Roaccutane) but now it's returing and I'm so scared it will become that bad, because now I live with my friend, and I can't even wash my make up off at night without crying almost, because I'm sooo scared...

Anyway, 2 years ago I read here the diary effect and I stopped drinking milk in the mornings and it seems having helped, and I went on drinking goat milk or just tea... I used to eat a lot of sweets and rafined sugars, pasta, bread but I also ate salad every evening at dinner and fish and healthier things in general...

Now all I'm eating is pizza, as it's my lunch most days as said before, or sandwiches, pasta, some meat (but it's prepared in an italian way, like you bread it and then fry it...yeah, I know) fried potatos (on saturday nights, when I go out), wurstel, a sort of italian bread, yogurt, sometimes ice cream, rarely salad, coffee, coca cola (which I didn't drink it often at all), pop corn...and sweets, lots of them because her mum brings them to us when she comes visiting... So you get the situation.... Of course my face is looking sooo much worse and I'm so scared, because I won't eat as well as before, because all I can eat everyday at lunch is either pizza or hamburger or bread with something because I can't come back home...

Nevertheless I will gain so much weight (which I REALLY have no need to...).

I need advise how to improve my diet, because I don't like eating this way, and apparently my face neither..

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 04/22/2007 2:42 pm

I'd like to reinforce how wonderful fresh, leafy greens are for those with acne. When I added leafy greens to my already healthy diet, my acne went away almost entirely within 6 weeks.

Dr. Joel Fuhrman, one of the most credible and scientifically accurate doctors in America, recommends greens more than any other food to help with skin problems.

Green smoothies are a very easy and tasty way to get in your fresh fruits and greens for the day. The smoothies taste like fruit smoothies, because the greens are blended with fruit, and the fruit masks the flavor of the greens. You also get four times the amount of nutrition, as the blender is able to more thoroughly break down the cell walls than chewing can alone. Dr. Fuhrman confirms this. Even if they don't help your skin, you'll get terrific health benefits.

To read more about green smoothies, click here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=108917