Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Willow's (Modified) Face Reality regimen

Kim, Im almost out of my cranberry cream. Im gonna have to order more! This is the first time Im actually excited to buy a moisturizer :D

Kim, Im almost out of my cranberry cream. Im gonna have to order more! This is the first time Im actually excited to buy a moisturizer :D

Glad you are liking it!

Glad you are liking it!

No, Im loving it ;) Im very nervous! Im seeing a Kaiser dermatologist for the first time after having the same dermatologist for years.

Ya that's what I thought I had was that comedonal type acne. She said that the products she gave me made those little suckers surface. I didn't have any on my chin or my forehead before using her herbal products. After 10 days my skin developed all of these seed type bumps. So she said that was supposed to happen. I asked her yesterday when she called to check on me how long normal microderms were supposed to last and she said 10 to 15. she did mine so short bc I was scared to do it. She kind of tested the skin area to see how it would react. Not bad I guess! So my overall texture had no redness to it but my sister said you could see ALL the poked marks but they were tiny and pink. I didn't even care yesterday. I went to work without any makeup on. I've looked worse than that before and didn't have on makeup. I just wanted my skin to breathe a little.

For the girls post after mine ( I think I saw Molly) which derm are u seeing in kaiser? Just wondering cause I know sf,ssf and redwood city. Good luck with ur appointment and thanks Kim for listening. I'm a little dry and flakey under all of this neosporin. I think some scabs will flake off today. I'm still happy

i don't know if i want to even say it because i think i may jinx it...

my skin has never looked this good on any regimen... i think i may be clear after just these first two weeks even.... i think all my skin needed was a little patience and tlc

i don't know if i want to even say it because i think i may jinx it...

my skin has never looked this good on any regimen... i think i may be clear after just these first two weeks even.... i think all my skin needed was a little patience and tlc

hurry, go knock on some wood!!

Glad to hear that things are going well! :dance:

I feel like crying Kim

I'm sorry you are feeling bad Molly. What's up?

Things look a lot better than they did a few weeks ago. I've just had a few, not very visible, noninflamed comedones. All those marks from the spots I had extracted last time are gone now.

I seem to be getting fewer clogged pores in that problem zone around my mouth and chin/jawline areas, so the mandelic serum I added may be what my skin needed.

I was getting really dry though, so I stopped using the Exfol-A every third night and am just using the milder Derm A Gel every evening instead. I layer the 8% mandelic under the Derm a Gel every other night (sometimes two nights in a row if I am not too dry). I am definitely peeling more around my mouth, but gentle exfoliation gets rid of most of that.

Hi Willow,

Came across your log wen i was trying to get more information on the whole extraction thing. I had my first extraction last night- man it was damn painful! I was told the swelling and redness would be gone by this morning but dammit, I still have red spots and red patches all over my face! And I had to come to work like this! Anyway you guys seem to think that it takes two days for the redness to go away so I'll wait and hope for the best. Just glad I had the balls to get out of bed and come to work! :)

One question though- does the extraction cause scarring? I'm confused as to how the extraction process is different from popping my own zits...could you explain? Should I be putting some anti-scarring stuff on the red spots?

Ya that's what I thought I had was that comedonal type acne. She said that the products she gave me made those little suckers surface. I didn't have any on my chin or my forehead before using her herbal products. After 10 days my skin developed all of these seed type bumps. So she said that was supposed to happen. I asked her yesterday when she called to check on me how long normal microderms were supposed to last and she said 10 to 15. she did mine so short bc I was scared to do it. She kind of tested the skin area to see how it would react. Not bad I guess! So my overall texture had no redness to it but my sister said you could see ALL the poked marks but they were tiny and pink. I didn't even care yesterday. I went to work without any makeup on. I've looked worse than that before and didn't have on makeup. I just wanted my skin to breathe a little.

For the girls post after mine ( I think I saw Molly) which derm are u seeing in kaiser? Just wondering cause I know sf,ssf and redwood city. Good luck with ur appointment and thanks Kim for listening. I'm a little dry and flakey under all of this neosporin. I think some scabs will flake off today. I'm still happy

This dr is in San Bruno. His name is Dr Murad. I dont remember his first name. My previous dr is Dr Lawrence Kaminsky at CPMC

Hi Willow,

Came across your log wen i was trying to get more information on the whole extraction thing. I had my first extraction last night- man it was damn painful! I was told the swelling and redness would be gone by this morning but dammit, I still have red spots and red patches all over my face! And I had to come to work like this! Anyway you guys seem to think that it takes two days for the redness to go away so I'll wait and hope for the best. Just glad I had the balls to get out of bed and come to work! :)

One question though- does the extraction cause scarring? I'm confused as to how the extraction process is different from popping my own zits...could you explain? Should I be putting some anti-scarring stuff on the red spots?

It may take a few days for the spots to look less red. People's skin will respond differently, so sometimes its hard to predict. It also partly depends on how difficult the lesions were to extract - if they were stubborn spots, there is sometimes a longer healing period afterwards.

I've never had an extraction cause scarring. Sometimes redmarks that take a bit to fade, but they always go away eventually.

As to how professional extractions are different from popping your own pimples, well there are a lot of differences. One, the professionals have better skills at extracting lesions while making sure the surrounding tissue isn't damaged or the pore doesn't rupture and spread any infection to the surrounding skin. They have the proper tools as well - mag mirror, quality comedone extractors, and tools to lance the skin if needed. Its also easier to do this sort of thing on someone else's skin, rather than on your own. Even the estheticians that i know who still get some acne will often have another esthetician do their extractions. Its just a lot easier than doing it yourself.

Where did you get your extractions done?

Also - if the lesions are still sore or inflamed, you might try applying ice to them to take down the swelling and redness. Ice for a few minutes, then remove the ice, repeat for 5-10 min. You can do this several times a day if needed. Just make sure you don't hold the ice on so long that it freezes your skin.

I had my monthly facial last night and things looked much better than they have the last couple of months. There was very little to extract, which wasn't the case a few weeks ago. I think its the effects of the new "8% mandelic light" serum that I started using. Face Reality just started selling it - its a new formulation by Vivant. I've been using it every other night under the Derm A Gel. I ditched the Exfol-A that I was using every 3rd night, because the combo of all three of those products was really drying me out and irritating my skin. I still get a little bit of dryness and irritation from the mandelic + derm a gel, but its pretty manageable.

Things had been going really well since my last post - very few breakouts, just some scattered noninflamed spots here and there. The mandelic really helped with the blackheads and small closed comedones I was getting around my mouth. The last facial I had 2 wks ago, there was almost nothing to extract.

However, I started getting a sore bump in the middle of my chin several days ago. This happened once before in the same spot several months ago - I thought it was going to flare up into an inflamed nodule, but it didn't then. Well, it seems to be doing that now. I though it was going away, but it started to flare up more yesterday. Most of the inflamation is below the surface of the skin, so its not super noticeable at the moment. Its slightly sore and only a little bit red. If its not looking better tomorrow, I am going to get a cortisone shot after work. I am always iffy with those, because with the three I have gotten I did get temporary indentations that took a few months to fill up. I just don't want this spot to scar - its right next to the bad side of my chin where I do have a little bit of light, superficial scarring already and some redmarks that have faded, but not completely gone away. So, its either risk getting another scar or redmark or deal with a (hopefully) temporary indentation there. I guess its also possible that it won't leave and indentation - maybe I'll get lucky!

I've used my Zeno on it a few times, and I don't think it helped much. I've also iced, which seems to help temporarily. Also taking Aleve, not sure how much that is doing. I will say that it hasn't gotten much worse since yesterday, so maybe that is a good sign. Hoping its looking better in the morning...

The swelling has gone down a bit this morning. I am leaning away from getting the cortisone shot now. I'll see how things look later this afternoon and decide for sure then. I had called both a private practice derm and my kaiser physician yesterday - both called back with appts for me - the private practice derm for today and the kaiser derm for tomorrow afternoon. I may cancel the one today (since it will cost me $), and keep tomorrow's as a backup plan. That gives me another day to see if this thing is going away or not.

I'm also wondering if this spot is just going to flare up periodically until I do something about it (like get the core extracted or get a cortisone shot). I don't like having a little ticking time bomb under my skin!

I tried applying a little bit of manuka honey yesterday and last night. I hadn't tried it before, and I think it may have helped reduce the swelling and also prevented irritation and dryness from the topcial medications I used on the spot. I haven't tried honey before, so this was an interesting experiment!

Just a quick update. That chin spot totally went away, so I am hoping that its not just sitting under there waiting to return at a later date! Its done that before, so we'll see...

Had a facial last night. There was a little bit of noninflamed stuff to extract, but not too bad. Smal, noninflamed lesions (both open and closed comedones) seem to be mostly what I still get now - and I usually don't have more than a few of them at any given time. The area I still have these most often is the area to the left side of my mouth, and down to my chin/jawline area. I get most of my deep, closed comedones in this patch of skin. Every once and awhile I'll get one someplace else, but they are usually just in this problem area (this is the same spot that I got most of my inflamed acne a couple years ago and where I have a little bit of superficial scarring). I get the occasional deep blackhead on my cheekbones too, but that happens a lot less often.

The lesions don't tend to get too inflamed anymore. They usually start off as a deep, noninflamed, closed comedone that gradually gets bigger and may or may not go away on their own. Usually they have to be extracted eventually, but it can take a couple months before they are extractable and they are sometimes difficult for my esthetician to extract. These clogged pores also have a tendency to come back in the same spot over again. The good thing is that they generally don't turn into big inflamed zits and they are pretty coverable with makeup, so I probably notice them more than anyone else does.

I had a few of these kinds of spots extracted yesterday and most of them came out. There is one that may need a second extraction attempt though.

Anyway, that's about it! So, things are mostly good - just a few lingering minor problems at this point!!

Getting a few extractions done tonight. I honestly don't know what I'd do without Face Reality's extraction services! I love that I can get these done when I need them in between facials. Some months I don't need any, but other months I do.

These noninflamed lesions just stay camped out under my skin until they get big enough to be visible and make the skin red around them. I'd say for about 80% of these, topicals alone won't make them go away. Physical extraction of the lesion is the only thing that really works. I have a couple of spots that tend to come back in the same place over and over, even with extractions. Fortunately, these generally aren't too noticeable and rarely become inflamed (and that's usually only when I have let them go too long without being extracted). I have one or two in the lower cheek area next to my mouth, and a couple of slightly raised blackheads on my right cheekbone. Hopefully, these spots will be history tonight!!

I'm beginning to suspect that my new hairgel may be contributing to the spots on my cheekbone. I had a few other spots there a couple weeks ago as well.

No inflamed acne for awhile though!! :dance:

Well, the spots all extracted (one slightly inflamed, and 3-4 noninflamed), but that whole side of my chin/mouth area looks crappy today because of the residual inflamation of one spot and several new red marks from the extractions. The spots are in the peely, flaking, healing stage now - so makeup doesn't cover too well either. I just can't seem to stay totally clear on this one patch of skin for more than a few months at a time. Its been my problem area from the beginning....

Grrr.....

Still not looking great today. Lots of dead, flaking skin on the extracted lesions and some residual redness remaining - makes it impossible for makeup to hide the spots. One or two of the spots seem like they weren't completely extracted - the slightly inflamed one, which is smaller and flatter - but still a bump under the skin that is now dry and flaking; and one on the front of my chin where I already have some shallow scarring, which is either right next to a spot that I got extracted or is a lesion that didn't extract completely. It is a small bump that looks like it might want to turn into an inflamed pustule. I'm going to see if they can do another extraction or two for me tonight.

I don't know why I'm getting these new spots - I haven't really changed anything. The only thing I can think of is I have been using the Vivant bleaching cream on some of my leftover marks in this area. I noticed it has emulsifying wax in it and also mineral oil (which is supposed to be noncomedogenic - but I know that mineral oil sometimes gives me problems)

In response to this recent flareup, I have expanded the areas that I am using BPO on. I've just been using the 5% on my chin for the last couple of years. Now I have started using BPO on this problem patch as well. I started off with a lower strength 2.5% on this patch of skin to get it readjusted to BP again (still using the 5% on my chin though). I've been doing this for almost a week now. In a few days, I will replace the 2.5% with the 5% that I normally use. Hoping this helps....

The new spot that was developing on the front part of my chin is getting inflamed and wasn't extractable either. My esthetician tried a couple times, but the spot won't budge. :( I am going to give it a couple more days and if its still there, go back in and have her try again. After I washed my face tonight I saw a new tiny pustule right next to the inflamed lesion too. I guess I spoke too soon in the post where I said "no inflamed acne!". Man, just when you think you might be done with all this crap - and BOOM...new acne.

Some of her clients have been getting good results on fish oil pills, so I bought some from her and she also recommended upping my zinc supplements again. I used to take 90 mg when I had more inflamed acne, but stopped taking it awhile ago. I am going to to back to 60-90 mg for awhile, and also start the fish oil.

Ugh - that spot on the front of my chin turned into a big ole, nasty, inflamed pustule. Haven't had one of these in a long time - probably more than a year. I almost forgot how much worse inflamed acne is than the noninflamed stuff I usually get. Its impossible to cover with makeup - its bumpy, leaking fluid, and just plain yucky!

This whole left side of my chin/mouth area still looks really bad today. The only improvement is that the dead skin peeled off the smaller spots next to my mouth that were extracted, so I can cover those red marks with makeup now. The large extracted spot still has a lot of dead, flaky skin over it, so that one isn't too coverable yet.

There is a small whitehead next to the big chin spot - hoping its going to stay small and not get inflamed.

I'm not sure what brought on this rather sudden breakout. There are a few things that I thought about that I've been doing differently lately.

One is that I've been using a soft electric toothbrush to exfoliate - sometimes on a daily basis. The area that is breaking out is where I was using the brush the most, since its the place I get more closed comedones and blackheads. Maybe the aggressive exfoliation irritated my skin and flared up the acne?

I also started using Vivant's Bleaching Cream on some dark spots in this area. The only places I got breakouts are where I've been using this. The only possible problem ingredients I saw in it were emulsifying wax (which I know varies in comedogenicity) and mineral oil (some products with mineral oil break me out, while others don't). I stopped using the bleaching cream to be on the safe side.

I have also been adding more processed cheese into my diet. It was on my forbidden foods list when I started at Face Reality. I hadn't had much of it, other than the occasional piece of pizza. More recently, I haven't been eating as well at dinner, and have been eating about 2 single-serving frozen pizzas every week. I've also added cheese to my veggie sandwiches that I get for lunch a couple times a week. Since I tend to be underweight, I was trying to add some fat to my diet. I wonder if the cheese is causing me problems???

So, I iced the lesion alot last night and this morning and have taken my zinc and fish oil tablets. Took some aleve as well.

Actually just found an interesting article that indicates that cheese may be worse for acne than milk is:

http://www.acnemilk.com/physician_guidance

I'll be cutting out most dairy (esp cheese) from now on! I was pretty good about that for a long time, but have lapsed in recent months. Its frustrating because I don't really even like cheese that much. I only added it to my diet for the calories/fat. I guess I'd rather be underweight with clear skin than normal weight with acne! Just gotta figure out another way to add fat and calories to my diet.

I am going to try for another extraction attempt on this spot - either tonight or tomorrow, depending on when they can fit me in at FR.

Kinda bummed - the spot still wasn't extractable. Its starting to scab over, so she couldn't really get anything out of it. I guess this one is just going to have to run its own course. She did say it looked like it was on its way out though, so hopefully it will start healing soon. She did extract two other smaller lesions for me, so it was still worth the trip over there!

I iced the spot for awhile and just put a dab of Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask on it. The sulfur and clay should help dry the spot out. Its funny - I'd much rather look at a bright green glob of mask on my face than a big flesh colored zit!

Things look a little bit better today. The inflamed spot went down quite a bit - its mostly peeling and a little red - so I think its starting to heal up. Even though it didn't extract yesterday, I think the extraction attempt helped drain the fluid, so its much drier this morning. I iced it quite a lot yesterday and left the sulfur mask on it overnight.

The several small extracted spots are pretty coverable now, the bigger one that was extracted on Tues is still flaky and scabby, but its slowly looking better each day.

Hoping that I don't get anything else at this point! I'm back to being careful with my diet again - minimal dairy, cut down the sugar, etc. I'm going to try and replace what I've been eating with more antiinflammatory foods. I've quit using the Vivant Bleaching Cream, in case that was part of the problem. I haven't been doing the toothbrush exfoliation this week. I may start that again once these breakouts are a bit more healed up, but I won't use the brush every day - maybe every 2-3 days.