Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Willow's (Modified) Face Reality regimen

I'm glad things are still going well for you!! All the best. =]

Thanks! Yeah, things are still going well. I just get the stray spot on occasion, and a few clogged pores that get extracted during my monthly facials.

I have not been using the 5% glycolic for the last month or so. My skin has been on the dry side lately, and that seemed to be exacerbating the problem. I do want to make sure that I am getting enough exfoliation action though, so I am going to try to gradually work in the Exfol-A, which is stronger than the Derm A Gel I have been using. This month I am only using it once a week, and continuing to use Derm A Gel the rest of the week. Next month I will bump it up to twice a week. When I tried this stuff before, it always seemed to flare up my skin somewhat, but I also may have started using it too often too soon. We shall see! I did use the Exfol A nightly on one side of my chin that had a few stubborn, recurring clogged pores. It did cause one spot that had been there for months to get slightly inflamed, but now it seems to be gone.

The folliculitis has been coming and going, but staying under control much better than before. I started cheating a bit on the diet stuff - eating more breads and carbs, and the PF flared up a little bit. I am trying to get back on the diet track again now, and the PF flare is clearing up again. I am still rotating my topical antifungals and my antifungal supplements. These past two weeks I have been taking several drops of oil of oregano twice a day, along with a supplement that contains undecylenic acid, neem, and grapefruit seed oil. In the evenings I am using a 15% mandelic serum, in the mornings a 50/50 propylene glycol mix. I am washing with a salicylic acid cleanser. This PF takes alot of work to keep it under control. I really hate this stuff!!!!

How are you doing with the Folliculitis? Have you been on any oral meds for it and did you get a sudden relapse after stopping them?

Thinking about going on Itraconazole, but I'm really afraid that it will only work for a short period of time.

How are you doing with the Folliculitis? Have you been on any oral meds for it and did you get a sudden relapse after stopping them?

Thinking about going on Itraconazole, but I'm really afraid that it will only work for a short period of time.

You must be psychic or something - I actually just did an update on this in the folliculitis thread under the body acne section. :)

Things are much better now - I get far fewer folliculitis flare ups (mostly around my period), and when I do flare, it is very mild and clears quickly. I am clear of this most of the time though.

Right now I am using a 2% salicylic wash 1-2 times a day, and a 15% mandelic serum once a day. I occasionally rotate in other topical treatments such as propylene glycol and tea tree oil. I think that helps reduce the chance of product resistence. I think using this rotation method has been a huge help in keeping this problem under control.

I have also made dietary changes, which I also believe is a big part of what cleared this up for me. I cut out sugary foods (I have had almost no sweets in the last few months), and reduced my consumption of white breads and alcohol. I take antifungal supplements, which I rotate every couple of weeks and also take a probiotic.

I tried a couple of different oral antifungal medications - and they did work, but only for a short period of time. I found the same was true for any topical OTC treatments I tried. I think the key really is rotating treatment products - this fungus is amazingly good at adapting to treatments, so chaging products before the fungus has time to adapt really seems to be a good tactic. That and the dietary factors I think are key for me.

Not much going on acne-wise. I have had a slight uptick in clogged pores the last couple of months, but no inflamed pimples. Just a couple that turned into microzits. I am now trying to slowly add in Exfol-A, which is a slightly stronger retinoid than Derm A Gel. I tried this twice before, and had flare-ups both times. Its been over a year since I tried it and I really feel like my skin is very adapted to the derm a gel, so I am hoping if I go slow that I won't have a flare again. I am using the Exfol-A in place of the derm a gel two nights a week. I will do that for a month or two and then gradually increase the frequency that I use it.

No other changes to note.

Haven't updated in awhile!! Things are still going good. I had my monthly facial last week at the Face Reality Acne Clinic and as usual there wasn't much to extract from my skin. I did have one small, but stubborn spot on my jawline that had been there for 2 weeks - it wasn't really inflamed, but the clogged pore under the skin wouldn't go away, so the spot wouldn't totally heal up. Got it extracted and its pretty much gone now. I'm at a point where I get a few tiny spots here and there on occasion, and very rarely get any inflamed spots. Mostly I am clear though.

I am still trying to work in the Exfol-A. I am continuing to use it in place of the Derm A Gel 2 nights a week. I was hoping to bump up the frequency a little, but it does really dry me out, so I might wait another month before doing that. I am also trying to cut down on the benzoyl peroxide. I only use it on my chin and jawline, but I still would like to back off from using it eventually. It tends to dry my skin and I have also been using it for over 2 years now. I am definitely going to reduce it gradually. Instead of using the 5% every night, I am now alternating that with a 2.5%. Provided I don't get any increase in breakouts I will eventually bump down to 2.5% every night.

I have a derm appt tomorrow to get a refill on my Finacea. Its been over a year since I have been in, so they want to see me first before the renew the script. I'd really like to keep using it, especially since I want to back down on the BP. It will continue to give me some antibacterial activity in my regimen. Finacea is the only prescription medication that I have liked - everything else that has worked for me has been the nonprescription treatments from Face Reality. I just can't get the Finacea through them since it requires an RX.

The folliculitis on my chest and back is staying pretty well controlled too, not 100%, but close.

The last couple days have been less than stellar skin days. Not bad, bad - just a bit more going on than normal. I had two clogged pores pop up on the edge of my chin/jawline area. They are spots that clog up on me every couple months or so (less often now than before though), and usually stayed camped out there until I get them extracted or they get inflamed. Face Reality was kind enough to fit me in for a couple of extractions on Friday afternoon (they are SO good about that!), so those got removed with no problem - just a small mark where one of the spots was extracted. Then, as I was driving home, I noticed a deeper bump under the smile line on that same side of my face. Grrrr!!!! I was tempted to go back and plead for another extraction, but the office was pretty busy that day, so I didn't.

I think I went a little overboard using my Zeno on this spot - I used it 3x in a 12 hour period, which was probably too much. Technically, they say you can use it 3x in a 24 hour period - at the most, every 4 hours. The spot didn't swell much more, but its rather red, peely and irritated. I can't tell if its going to continue to get inflamed or if its going to go away yet. Its still a small, semi-hard bump under the skin. Its mostly coverable at the moment - hope it stays that way! I am crossing my fingers that it doesn't get worse, as I have a sexy party to go to tonight (a Burning Man Decompression Party) - I'm definitely gonna feel far less sexy if I have a big inflamed bump on my face! I also have to fly down to Los Angeles this Thurs to give a talk, so I am really hoping its not worse then. I do have a facial scheduled for Saturday, so if its still there, at least they can try and extract it for me.

I don't know if this is from the Exfol-A, which I have been gradually adding to my regimen. It gave me problems before, but I thought it was because I tried to add it in too fast. It could be a conicidence though, as this did all start a couple days before my period. Hopefully, its just a fluke and all will go back to normal soon! I am going to keep using the Exfol-A for now, but am not going to bump of the frequency of application for at least another month.

Hey, just wondering if you would recommend Face Reality? I'm currently waiting on their kit...so I'm assuming it will still be a little while before I actually get products from them.

I'm so jealous that you live close to them. I'm in Indiana, so it's nowhere near where I need to be! These extractions you speak of...are they something someone around here could do? If so, how would I go about finding someone?

Thanks!

Amanda

Hey, just wondering if you would recommend Face Reality? I'm currently waiting on their kit...so I'm assuming it will still be a little while before I actually get products from them.

I'm so jealous that you live close to them. I'm in Indiana, so it's nowhere near where I need to be! These extractions you speak of...are they something someone around here could do? If so, how would I go about finding someone?

Thanks!

Amanda

Hi Amanda -

I would most definitely recommend Face Reality. They are really incredibly good at treating acne - both in person and long distance. Not only are they amazing at acne tx, but they are also great to work with - very supportive, friendly and professional. They are really good at answering questions and listening to any concerns you have about your progress.

Yeah, I know I am REALLY lucky to have them so close by! My regular facials/extractions have become something of a security blanket for me. Don't know what I'd do without them. :)

You might ask Face Reality if they have any recommendations for an esthetician in your area. They can sometimes work with an esthetician in your area so you can get extractions and peels along with the Face Reality home care regimen. I don't know how often they do this, but I know they have done it with some long distance clients. If they don't have any suggestions for you, you might do a search on citysearch.com to find someone who gets good reviews for treating skin. They would just need to be made aware of your regimen and probably communicate with FR about your treatment plan. It might take a bit of searching, but you might be able to find someone.

Thanks!

Amanda

Hi Amanda -

I would most definitely recommend Face Reality. They are really incredibly good at treating acne - both in person and long distance. Not only are they amazing at acne tx, but they are also great to work with - very supportive, friendly and professional. They are really good at answering questions and listening to any concerns you have about your progress.

Yeah, I know I am REALLY lucky to have them so close by! My regular facials/extractions have become something of a security blanket for me. Don't know what I'd do without them. :)

You might ask Face Reality if they have any recommendations for an esthetician in your area. They can sometimes work with an esthetician in your area so you can get extractions and peels along with the Face Reality home care regimen. I don't know how often they do this, but I know they have done it with some long distance clients. If they don't have any suggestions for you, you might do a search on citysearch.com to find someone who gets good reviews for treating skin. They would just need to be made aware of your regimen and probably communicate with FR about your treatment plan. It might take a bit of searching, but you might be able to find someone.

Thanks Willow! I appreciate your help. About how long did it take for you to notice a consistent improvement in your skin...? I will definitely ask them for their opinion about someone around here whenever they get with me regarding their recommendations...hopefully they can find someone for me. That would be amazing.

I'm so happy they've worked out for you. I only hope that I can have a similar experience!

Thanks Willow! I appreciate your help. About how long did it take for you to notice a consistent improvement in your skin...? I will definitely ask them for their opinion about someone around here whenever they get with me regarding their recommendations...hopefully they can find someone for me. That would be amazing.

I'm so happy they've worked out for you. I only hope that I can have a similar experience!

I would say it took about 8-10 wks to start seeing notable clearing. After that, things just gradually got better over time. More and more time between getting any new inflamed spots, getting fewer spots when I did have a breakout, redness going away gradually. What was really great though was that on their regimen I didn't have any kind of initial breakout period in the beginning like people get on a lot of acne meds (and like I had when I was on Differin).

After being on their regimen for 2 1/2 yrs now, I rarely get inflamed pimples anymore. I still get a few clogged pores here and there and those are mostly repeat offenders - pores that just seem to be sensitive to clogging for some reason. They don't get inflamed very often though (or just get a tiny bit of inflamation, but don't turn into full blown pimples), so they aren't too much of a problem.

Hope you get your product kit soon and keep us posted on your progress!!

Even though my skin has been very stable for a long time now, I can't seem to avoid the travel related breakouts - especially travel involving long flights. No idea if its just a stress response or if its actually something about being on a plane that does it to me. The same thing happened last year when I flew home for Thanksgiving and the year before when I went to New York for Christmas. I am down in North Carolina visiting family for thanksgiving and I started getting breakouts the night I got here. Two slightly inflamed, red clogged pores on my chin, another one like that which popped up on my cheek today, and also two tiny microzits in my smile line. None of the spots by themselves look particularly bad, its just that I got a bunch of these little spots all at once. I am really hoping none of them get more inflamed - my Zeno device has gotten a good workout over the last few days and I have been icing twice a day. I am dry and peely too because of the dry airplane air and the dry air in the house due to having the heat on. The marks from old breakouts on my chin look darker too - probably because of being so dry. So, things are looking a little bit rough this week. :( I can't bump up my regimen at all because that will really dry me out. I am pretty sure I'll be paying a visit to Face Reality for some extractions the week after I get back (seems a long way away at the moment though!). Ugh, I really hope these start going away on their own and I don't get any more!!!

Well, I went to FR and got all those little spots extracted (I love how flexible they are with that!). Two spots had gone away on their own, but I also got a couple more during the week. Nothing got really inflamed, but those little clogged pores rarely go away for me unless they are extracted.

I still want to know why flying on an airplane flares my skin up. Fortunately, it doesn't tend to give me flares of inflamed acne like I used to get, but I still end up seeing more breakouts when I fly.

I guess it could happen because of stress or maybe there is something about the recirculated air on planes that is problematic. I know that I get veryoily when I am on an airplane, but then after the flight my skin gets really dry. Very odd....

Well, my travel-induced skin woes are gone now. Had a facial yesterday and things are lookin' clear! I am still gradually working in the Exfol-A in place of the Derm A Gel. So far so good.

My body folliculitis is coming back though. I haven't been really good about the diet and supplement stuff and have been doing my topical regimen inconsistently. Guess I gotta stay on the strict plan to keep this stuff at bay!

Hi, you seem to be doing well with Face Reality; I'm really glad for you. :) If you have the time, could you post the ingredient lists for some of your products (or have you already)? For example, the scrub, the emulsion, the cranberry cream, and the sunscreen you use? I know they're probably long, so if you'd rather not, I understand. I couldn't find any product descriptions on the website and am just crazily sensitive to everything right now, I can't just take what someone hands to me, you know? Thanks for your time.

Hi, you seem to be doing well with Face Reality; I'm really glad for you. :) If you have the time, could you post the ingredient lists for some of your products (or have you already)? For example, the scrub, the emulsion, the cranberry cream, and the sunscreen you use? I know they're probably long, so if you'd rather not, I understand. I couldn't find any product descriptions on the website and am just crazily sensitive to everything right now, I can't just take what someone hands to me, you know? Thanks for your time.

Thanks - I have had really good results from Face Reality. Best skin decision I ever made!

As far as the products - the ingredients aren't on the cranberry cream. The ones on the hydrating emulsion and sunscreen are a bit long to type out here. Are there any particular ingredients you are concerned about? I'd be happy to check the products for specific ingredients if that would help.

Their products are formulated for acne prone skin and they do also have clients with very sensitive skin (some with rosacea), so they should be able to tell you what products would work for your skin. I haven't had any problems with their products at all, and my skin can definitely be reactive to certain ingredients. If you are concerned, you might also call or email them and ask about their products and explain what ingredients you are trying to avoid. If you are really sensitive and have inflamed acne, they may not recommend products like a scrub. It just depends on your specific skin needs and acne type.

So, as long as I am here in my log I may as well give an update!

Things continue to go well - no facial breakouts to note. All I really get most of the time are a few recurring clogged pores that seem to pop up in the same location from time to time. I've gotten a few spots on my neck lately - I do slack on my neck regimen, so I guess I have to stick to that a little bit better! I'm going to try alternating my 5% glycolic and 8% mandelic. Hopefully that will get it back to being totally clear again. I think hair products might be part of the problem too.

The folliculitis on my chest and back is staying under control - the mandelic serum and salicylic wash seem to be a good combo for me.

I am still working in the Exfol-A to replace the Derm A Gel. I am alternating them every couple of nights.

As far as the products - the ingredients aren't on the cranberry cream. The ones on the hydrating emulsion and sunscreen are a bit long to type out here. Are there any particular ingredients you are concerned about? I'd be happy to check the products for specific ingredients if that would help.

Thank you but I'm actually still trying to figure that one out. :) Calling them sounds like a good idea.

Hi there, I love your blog and the effort you put into it, you've been updating it since 2006 wow! I recently discovered the face reality website and I am considering the long distance treatment (I live all the way in New York :/), and I was just wondering if you can briefly tell me how happy you are with the results you have gotten from them so far. What was your acne like before you went into the FR clinic and after? I called their long distance number and they were very informative, but I guess I just wanted a second opinion from a client, keep up the good work!

Hi there, I love your blog and the effort you put into it, you've been updating it since 2006 wow! I recently discovered the face reality website and I am considering the long distance treatment (I live all the way in New York :/), and I was just wondering if you can briefly tell me how happy you are with the results you have gotten from them so far. What was your acne like before you went into the FR clinic and after? I called their long distance number and they were very informative, but I guess I just wanted a second opinion from a client, keep up the good work!

Yeah, this is one long treatment log isn't it? Thanks for reading! :) I am very happy with the results I got (and continue to get) from Face Reality. My acne before was pretty mild, but it wasn't going away with the OTC treatments or the Differin my derm had me on. My acne had actually gotten worse on Differin - I had small patches of inflamed acne on both sides of my chin that wouldn't heal and noninflamed spots on my forehead and around my nose. I never had that much acne before in my life. That's when I started going to Face Reality.

They got me clear in less than 3 months. My chin acne took the longest to go away, but we finally got it under control. During the next year or so, I'd still get a few spots here and there, but as time went on the frequency of breakouts decreased more and more. Now I only get a few clogged pores each month, but those either go away on their own or I get them extracted. I rarely get inflamed pimples now - maybe one every 3-4 months or so. I actually do have one now (right between my eyebrows - ouch!), but this is probably the first inflamed pimple I've had in the last 5 or 6 months.

I'm not a long distance client, but I've heard good things about their results with long distance treatment. It probably takes longer to clear when you are long distance since you don't have the benefit of the in office treatments and extractions.

What I think is really nice about Face Reality's service is that it takes the guesswork out of your hands - they will tell you what products to use and exactly how to use them. Their treatments are also tailored to your specfic needs - your acne type/severity and your skin sensitivity. Its also nice to have someone you can call if things aren't working or if you have questions. They do keep in regular contact with all of their clients, especially in the first several months of treatment.

I'd definitely recommend giving them a try! Keep me posted on how things go if you decide to do it. Oh, and I do have before/after pics on their website if you want to look. They are under the inflamed acne section - I think they are about the 8th ones down. The blurb next to my pic mentions me getting bad results from Differin.

OKAY, so I finally called FR a week ago and to my disappointment I still haven't received my serum test kit :confused: I called Patrick a couple of times and he said he doesn't understand why I still haven't gotten it and so they sent me a second kit. I don't know what's going on and even though the delay is upsetting me I'm glad Patrick is at least trying to work through with me, hopefully I can start my treatment soon *sigh* I guess this is one of the disadvantages of being a long distance client. :(

OKAY, so I finally called FR a week ago and to my disappointment I still haven't received my serum test kit :confused: I called Patrick a couple of times and he said he doesn't understand why I still haven't gotten it and so they sent me a second kit. I don't know what's going on and even though the delay is upsetting me I'm glad Patrick is at least trying to work through with me, hopefully I can start my treatment soon *sigh* I guess this is one of the disadvantages of being a long distance client. :(

That is weird that you didn't get it - I guess things can get lost in the mail sometimes. Hopefully you will get the 2nd one they shipped soon! Since Pat is one of the clinic's owners, I am sure he will get that to you ASAP. How far away are you, BTW?

Hey Willow! I finally got my 'diagnosis'! Turns out, I have mostly non-inflamed acne and here are the products they will be starting me with:

Silica Scrub 8 oz

Salicylic Toner 8 oz

Mandelic 8% 1 oz

SPF for Acne Prone Skin 2 oz

Acne Med 5% 1 oz

Cranberry Cream 1 oz

Those products look similar to what I started off with - only difference was I had glycolic acid serum and then they switched me to mandelic later. They seem to use mandelic more often now. I also started with 10% Acne Med for the first couple months and then bumped down to 5%.

I like all of those products and still use them all (except the mandelic on my face - I replaced that with Finacea about a year and a half ago). I do still use the mandelic on my chest though.

Oh, what's Finacea?

I just got the instructions on how to use the products today, turns out they do not want me to use the AcneMed or the cranberry cream yet. I informed them earlier on that I have been using Dan Kern's BP and so they want me to keep using that at night.