Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Willow's (Modified) Face Reality regimen

Got a two new spots over the last day - one tiny pimple right above my upper lip that's not too noticeable and I don't think it will get inflamed. I started getting one under the skin, sore bump on my chin this morning - haven't had one of these in awhile. It was really annoying because I looked at my skin when I first got up today and didn't see anything. After I took a shower though, the new chin zit was there. I've had that happen a couple times before. Must be the steam in the shower that causes the spot to swell up all of a sudden. I zapped it with Zeno this morning and then iced it for awhile and took an Aleve. I'll probably use the Zeno again this afternoon and then before I go to bed tonight. I am hoping the Zeno will either get rid of it totally (which happens sometimes), or it will bring it to a head faster and then I can try to go in to the clinic and get it extracted. This seems to be how Zeno has worked for me in the past - it brings the spots up more quickly and makes them easier to extract. If I don't get it extracted tomorrow, I will have to wait until at least Tuesday evening (clinic is closed on Sun and Mon and I work until 5:00 on Tuesday).

I have sort of been expecting to get a break out - I had a very stressful, emotional week last week - stress is usually a trigger for me. There was also one night that I forgot to use my benzoyl peroxide and one morning that I didn't wash my face. I also caved in and had a few salty snacks the last week and salt will tend to flare my skin too.

Hopefully, I can keep my stress levels down and get back on track with the dietary stuff and make sure I stick to my regimen every day in order to keep this recent flare-up to a minimum.

Im sorry your stressed out Kim! Youre too sweet :comfort:

Thanks. Well, stress gets the better of most people at one point or another, I guess! :wacko:

I think the Zeno worked on the chin zit. It didn't get any bigger since yesterday morning (its actually somewhat smaller) and its not sore anymore. I am hoping it is just going to continue to fade away. I did a pretty aggressive approach with the Zeno since the spot was on a fleshier part of my chin, so the skin isn't too sensitive there. I used it once yesterday morning, then around lunchtime, again before going to bed and then once more when I got up this morning. After each Zeno use, I also applied an antibacterial (either neosporin or 5% BP). I have also iced it a few times. I may use Zeno once more this afternoon or tonight. Its not leaving any lasting redness on my chin, so I don't think it is doing any damage to the skin.

I have a feeling that if I hadn't used the Zeno, this would have been one of those big, inflamed chin zits (which I haven't had in ages, thank God!)

Zeno seems to have done its job! The spot is almost totally gone now. Its just a flat, red peely mark now. Hopefully it is gone for good!!

Nothing else going on skin-wise at the moment! :dance:

Man so weird, I am starting to get really clear on my cheeks(main problem area) but now I am getting breakouts near my mouth area and chin which I've never had before..... Also, I want to start using Finacea again... hmm...

Still free of any active spots.... :dance: My chin did get really peely all of sudden though, I have had quite a few flakies the last couple days.

Still doing good. I've had a few clogged pores on my forehead and one near my nose, but they are almost gone now. Not too bad considering this is menstrual week. It looked like that the chin spot that I zenoed a couple weeks ago was going to come back - I could feel a tiny bump there, but now it seems like its calmed down. Its weird because on that side of my chin I have a few little brown spots that popped up months ago. Sometimes they elevate a little bit into tiny bumps - usually around my period. Most of the time they are flat and just look like a few light freckles. One spot is where I got the inflamed chin zit that started to develop a couple weeks ago that I killed with the Zeno. The rest have never flared up into full blown spots. No idea what they are. I don't think they are blackheads. If they are still noticeable, I am going to ask about them the next time I go in for a facial.

Seeing as you are using Finacea, do you think it would be OK if I used glycolic acid whilst using it?

I use Avon's Anew Clinical Advanced Retexturising Peel pads, every other day. I would use a pad and then apply Finacea. Do you think it would be too much?

[sorry to invade your log like this!]

Seeing as you are using Finacea, do you think it would be OK if I used glycolic acid whilst using it?

I use Avon's Anew Clinical Advanced Retexturising Peel pads, every other day. I would use a pad and then apply Finacea. Do you think it would be too much?

[sorry to invade your log like this!]

No problem - I don't mind log invasions! :) I would wait until your skin gets used to the Finacea. If after a couple of weeks you aren't getting any excesssuve irritation/peeling/dryness, then you could probably go ahead with the glycolic. I actually read a study that used this treatment combo and they got very good results. I use an exfoliant in addition to my Finacea as well and it works fine for me.

Hey Willow!

Well, I went to the clinic for the first time on Wednesday. Was surprised to find that they think my skin is clear enough that I don't even need regular treatments and should do fine with just basic prevention products. Apparently my skin is NOT very sensitive either, which is awesome news. They gave me: Silica scrub, salicylic toner, cranberry cream, glycolic acid 10% serum, and micro tz sunscreen spf 17. They said as the effects of Accutane continue to wear off (I finished my course about 3 months ago), I might need to include an acne med of some sort, but Laura seemed pretty confident that at least for now this should do the trick!

I'm really pleased with the clinic. They really weren't trying to rip me off or anything. They could have signed me up for a bunch of treatments and given me all sorts of expensive products, but they really kept it to the bare minimum for what they thought I needed. I really, really, really hope this works!

By the way, umm....are you supposed to apply the glycolic acid with your hands or a cottonball? I used it today for the first time and just used my fingers, but I'm not sure if that's what you're supposed to do and I completely forgot to ask. The consistency is kind of strange. =P

Apply with finger tips, using cotton ball would absorb most of it.

I think Finacea clogs my pores and makes me have tiny little bumps and pimples, because before my cheeks were really clear then, after starting Finacea again, I got like 5 little bumps.

Hey Willow!

Well, I went to the clinic for the first time on Wednesday. Was surprised to find that they think my skin is clear enough that I don't even need regular treatments and should do fine with just basic prevention products. Apparently my skin is NOT very sensitive either, which is awesome news. They gave me: Silica scrub, salicylic toner, cranberry cream, glycolic acid 10% serum, and micro tz sunscreen spf 17. They said as the effects of Accutane continue to wear off (I finished my course about 3 months ago), I might need to include an acne med of some sort, but Laura seemed pretty confident that at least for now this should do the trick!

I'm really pleased with the clinic. They really weren't trying to rip me off or anything. They could have signed me up for a bunch of treatments and given me all sorts of expensive products, but they really kept it to the bare minimum for what they thought I needed. I really, really, really hope this works!

By the way, umm....are you supposed to apply the glycolic acid with your hands or a cottonball? I used it today for the first time and just used my fingers, but I'm not sure if that's what you're supposed to do and I completely forgot to ask. The consistency is kind of strange. =P

Glad to hear that you had a good experience there. And great to hear that you'll only have to do a prevention routine - that'll save you some money and some driving! Yeah - they are very honest and upfront at Face Reality. They will only treat you to the extent they think is necessary. I know they have had to send people away sometimes - some people who come in with "phantom" acne and some people who they have treated that have cleared and Laura thinks they don't need any further in office treatments. They could continue to treat these people and make money off them, but they don't.

What is also good is that if you do start having problems after being off the accutane for awhile, you know you can go in and they can take care of it for you!

I probably don't need to go in as often as I do now (I go in every 5 wks for a facial), but I really love the effects I get from the glycolic peels. Its more my choice to go in that often, rather than them saying I need to come in that often. They would probably suggest every 2 months or something like that.

I would apply the glycolic serum with your fingers - just wash your hands afterward so you don't get peely fingers!! :)

Apply with finger tips, using cotton ball would absorb most of it.

I think Finacea clogs my pores and makes me have tiny little bumps and pimples, because before my cheeks were really clear then, after starting Finacea again, I got like 5 little bumps.

I don't think Finacea it has any comedogenic ingredients in it.

I started to use it again 4 days ago, then suddenly yesterday, I saw the abnormal growth of these annoying little bumps.

Hey Willow!

Glad to hear that you had a good experience there. And great to hear that you'll only have to do a prevention routine - that'll save you some money and some driving! Yeah - they are very honest and upfront at Face Reality. They will only treat you to the extent they think is necessary. I know they have had to send people away sometimes - some people who come in with "phantom" acne and some people who they have treated that have cleared and Laura thinks they don't need any further in office treatments. They could continue to treat these people and make money off them, but they don't.

What is also good is that if you do start having problems after being off the accutane for awhile, you know you can go in and they can take care of it for you!

I probably don't need to go in as often as I do now (I go in every 5 wks for a facial), but I really love the effects I get from the glycolic peels. Its more my choice to go in that often, rather than them saying I need to come in that often. They would probably suggest every 2 months or something like that.

I would apply the glycolic serum with your fingers - just wash your hands afterward so you don't get peely fingers!! :)

Yeah, because I was 100% clear for months on Accutane, it's hard to tell when it's really "acne" as opposed to just random spots. For instance, right now I keep getting clogged pores and some small whiteheads around my mouth (especially when I don't keep my mustache trimmed) and I have 1 inflamed spot on my forehead that popped up 2 days ago and is already starting to fade, but I'm not sure if I'd call that acne per se. Even a lot of the spots on my nose that I thought were blackheads are apparently just pores, according to Laura. She did some mild extracting at the consultation and that was about it.

I think it's important not to dwell too much on it, though we all know how hard that can be. Right now I feel semi awkward going out in public over ONE SPOT. One. Pre Accutane I would have killed to just have one lone pimple bothering me. I want to get to the point where I only look in the mirror twice a day when I'm doing my routine and that's that. Stay away from triggers like peanut butter and high iodine intake and just let it rest. I know other people aren't judging it the same way I do. I think most people have their own physical imperfections to worry about and don't give it a second thought.

Though to be fair, part of the reason I'm starting to feel confident is because I really, truly believe Face Reality is going to offer me a long-term solution that's really going to work to keep me clear. There's a reason the clinic has been almost universally praised. I'm just so lucky to live nearby so I can keep in close contact with them. I didn't even feel this reassured when I was on Accutane. =P

I know what you mean about feeling reassured. I felt that way after spending just a few minutes in my consult with Laura. She told me (quite confidently) that she thought she could get my skin cleared quickly - and I absolutely believed her. After all the times of calling my derm, and only getting his assistant telling me that "the doctor says keep using the Differin even though you are breaking out worse" and never having the doctor call me or ask me to come in, I couldn't believe the difference I felt with how they treated me af Face Reality. I was totally shocked when Laura called me a few days after my first appointment to see how the regimen was going and how I was doing. It really helped knowing that they care about their clients as much as they do!

Good luck with the new regimen and keep me posted on how things go!!

I'm thinking about asking the office to change up my regimen a little, I want to try out Mandelic Acid Serums, also is there anything else than can help with my redness and red marks?

Random question: How do you deal with the flakiness? They said to apply the cranberry cream (which I think is a moisturizer?) just at night, but I'm wondering if it would be better to use in the daytime due to peeling and such.

Random question: How do you deal with the flakiness? They said to apply the cranberry cream (which I think is a moisturizer?) just at night, but I'm wondering if it would be better to use in the daytime due to peeling and such.

What is your daytime and nightime regimen like? There might be a reason they have you using the cranberry cream at a certain time of day (and yes, its is a moisturizer). You will probably get some peeling at first, regardless of when you use the cream though. The peeling is actually something that you want to happen - it means the skin is exfoliating, which helps keep pores clear.

What is your daytime and nightime regimen like? There might be a reason they have you using the cranberry cream at a certain time of day (and yes, its is a moisturizer). You will probably get some peeling at first, regardless of when you use the cream though. The peeling is actually something that you want to happen - it means the skin is exfoliating, which helps keep pores clear.

Current regimen is:

AM:

Silica scrub

Ice (if needed)

Salicylic toner

Glycolic 10% (every other day for 2 weeks, then once a day for 2 weeks, then twice a day)

Sunscreen

PM:

Silica scrub

Ice (if needed)

Salicylic toner

Cranberry cream

No BP or retinoids at the moment. They didn't seem to think I need them right now.

Current regimen is:

AM:

Silica scrub

Ice (if needed)

Salicylic toner

Glycolic 10% (every other day for 2 weeks, then once a day for 2 weeks, then twice a day)

Sunscreen

PM:

Silica scrub

Ice (if needed)

Salicylic toner

Cranberry cream

No BP or retinoids at the moment. They didn't seem to think I need them right now.

I think moisturizers can sometimes interfere with the absorption of some treatment products. If you are getting excessive peeling or dryness during the day, you might ask them if they think you could switch to using the cranberry cream in the morning. Check with them before you decide to change anything though.

A couple of clogged pores have popped up the last day or two. I seem to get minor little flares right at the end or after my period, rather than the week before. Nothing that looks like its going to get inflamed at this point. One spot is between the outside of my chin/jawline area, where I am prone to getting recurring spots. I seem to get a pimple or a slightly inflamed clogged pore in this area about once every 6-8 wks. I hate getting them in this area because the pores are really small and tight there, so the comedone is really tightly impacted and usually takes quite awhile to go away. I have another clogged pore on my cheek and one on my forehead.

Thankfully, I have a facial appointment this Thursday - hopefully that will take care of this!! :)

I'm in a very low point right now, I just can't stand my facial redness and red marks, just so frustrating.

I'm in a very low point right now, I just can't stand my facial redness and red marks, just so frustrating.

Sorry to hear that you are feeling down. Is your active acne gone? It can just take awhile for red marks to fade - products help, but it really just takes time. It can take 6 months to really start seeing a difference in the redness.

You are not alone. lol I am in the same boat. My redness and few active spots just does not want to go away.