Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Willow's (Modified) Face Reality regimen

The glycolic is helping clear out the clogged spots on my chin. A couple more of the spots are gone, and the ones left (about 3 or so) look like they are on the way out. My skin looked pretty fabulous yesterday - best it has in the last couple weeks. However, I had to back down to the 5% glycolic again last night because the 10% was starting to irritate my chin. I think the 10% is what was having the most effect though. I am probably going to go back to using the 10% tomorrow night.

On the downside, I got a small pustule on my upper lip area, right under my nose. I have a small red patch there that has been there for about a year and a half. It doesn't seem to want to go away - not really sure what it is. The finacea is helping reduce the redness a little. I developed a small pustule right in the center of this red patch this morning. So, its back to be redder again....grrrr..... I used my zeno on it this morning and also iced it for a few minutes. Put an extra dab of finacea on it as well. I also took a couple of Aleve, so hopefully that will help keep the inflamation down. I am thinking about seeing if laser treatment will help with this red patch. I had laser treatment for broken capillaries a year and a half ago and it worked really well (hurt like hell though...). Maybe I'll try to get an appt with my derm after Thanksgiving.

I know this is random Kim but besides your beautiful skin, you always have beautiful red hair :)

Thanks Molly, that's very sweet. :)

Well, the little upper lip pustule went down nicely - I gave it an extra dab of finacea last night, I think that helped with the inflamation and redness. Those damn clogged pores on my chin are still lingering though - they are actually more noticeable today, and I think there may be 1 or 2 new ones. Maybe I shouldn't have taken a break from the 10% glycolic for 2 nights in a row? I think I am going to do 2 nights on/one night off with that stuff for the next couple weeks. I have a feeling these little spots are still going to be around by the time I have my next facial (2 wks from tomorrow). Wish I could get them extracted now - they are driving me nuts!!!! Here's to hoping they don't get inflamed during my menstrual cycle.... :pray:

Things have been pretty stable lately. No inflamed pimples at all. Still haven't completely gotten rid of those clogged pores in the middle of my chin though. I've had 2 or 3 that have just been sticking around. I have been layering 10% glycolic under my derm a gel in the evening (just around the clogged pores) and I think its helping. The spots are nearly gone today - although two of them have turned into slightly irritated spots with dead flaky skin on them (kinda hard to keep makeup on them) - I'm going to skip the glycolic tonight to give the area a chance to heal a bit. I am traveling to Chicago tomorrow, so I hope that between travel stressors and my menstrual week (which is this week) that I'll manage to stay clear! I'm playing it smart and bringing my own pillowcase and washcloths from home - i'm convinced that part of the reason I often break out when I travel is the fabric softener on the linens and towels.

Hi Willow-Hope you have a great Thanksgiving and you have no break outs while there!

I finanlly made my visit to face reality last Saturday-they were so nice! Thanks so much for letting people know about them-I wouldn't have tried them if I had not seen your testimonials!

Hi Willow-Hope you have a great Thanksgiving and you have no break outs while there!

I finanlly made my visit to face reality last Saturday-they were so nice! Thanks so much for letting people know about them-I wouldn't have tried them if I had not seen your testimonials!

Thanks! Glad to hear that you went in for an appointment. Keep us posted about your progress with them!

My skin has been ok recently. Got a few scattered spots while I was traveling and when I came back. Nothing too bad - just a couple of spots that seem to fall somewhere between non-inflamed and inflamed. I think the stress of travel is largely the cause. I also didn't stick to my low iodine diet quite as well, didn't take my zinc and wasn't able to do my full skin caree regimen every night and morning. So, given all that and the fact that I also had my period that week, things could definitely have been worse!

I do have one smallish, slighlty inflamed spot on the side of my nose right now. Unfortuately it didn't decide to show up until after my facial appt yesterday, so wasn't able to get it extracted. Clear otherwise though. Just a couple of healing marks from my travel breakouts. My skin has been pretty dry lately, so I got a hydrating treatment rather than a peel. Laura also gave me a product to help with the dryness. It is called Hydrating Emulsion and I can put it on before my cranberry cream in the a.m. and/or under my BP in the evening. It is a light, water based hydrating treatment, so it won't prevent the BP from being absorbed. Hopefully that will help keep me more hydrated!

Things are still going good. No breakouts to speak of at the moment. I did get a few weird little clogged pores last week on my chin, but I spot treated them with mandelic and that pretty much got rid of them. Its been awhile since I've had any inflamed acne at all (knock on wood...). I also stopped getting those tiny pustules around my nose and smile lines - I think the finacea finally knocked those out. I am also noticing a substantial reduction in the old marks on my chin. I think this is also at least partially due to the finacea (and also the cumulative effects of using exofoliants for the last year and a half, and probably also due to time)

I am also having some success with the folliculitis. I really think the mandelic serum is having the most effect on this. I am still using the Nizoral shampoo a couple times a week, but I don't think its the main thing responsible for clearing the folliculitis. I also was using the ZNP bar every morning, but found that to be too drying. I am trying to replace it with Vivant's mandelic cleanser/shampoo, which I am really liking so far. It can be used as a facial or body cleanser or a shampoo to treat scalp acne, dandruff or body or facial folliculitis. Apparently, mandelic is antibacterial AND antifungal, so it can treat acne, and also bacterial or fungal folliculitis.

I also did something I haven't done since I started breaking out 2 yrs ago - I went out dancing this past weekend! :dance: I had pretty much put my life on hold when I was breaking out a lot, and just carried those behaviors and insecurities with me even when my skin started to clear. I was always in a state of worry that I might break out again, so I didn't want to commit to making plans to go out dancing (or anything else) in case I had a breakout. Its taken time to get past all that, but I think I've finally made some progress. I had a great time out salsa dancing - and I didn't think about my skin once! I can't remember the last time I went that long without worrying about my skin. And plenty of guys asked me to dance - it was just like old times!!! I also went on a date Sunday night - haven't been on one of those in about a year either. Don't think anything will come of it, but it was a big step for me to go out like that again.

Congratulations Willow!! It's nice when you can feel confident about your skin-I don't think people realize how much skin issues can effect a person's confidence!

I had a quick question for you-Laura gave me the AO2 cream, I noticed that you used to use it, How did it work for you? I thought that H2O2 was bad for your skin, but Laura is so wonderful that I hated to ask-she is the nicest esthician (spelling?) I have ever met!

I hope you have a great night and you get to go dancing again soon!!!

Congratulations Willow!! It's nice when you can feel confident about your skin-I don't think people realize how much skin issues can effect a person's confidence!

I had a quick question for you-Laura gave me the AO2 cream, I noticed that you used to use it, How did it work for you? I thought that H2O2 was bad for your skin, but Laura is so wonderful that I hated to ask-she is the nicest esthician (spelling?) I have ever met!

I hope you have a great night and you get to go dancing again soon!!!

Thanks! It was nice to go out and not worry about skin crap! I did worry about it while I was out of town this past week though - I alway do when I travel for some reason. Maybe its because I tend to get flare ups whenever I travel - stress related perhaps? I don't know. I didn't get much of one this time. A couple of clogged pores on my chin/jawline area and one teeny, tiny pustule above my lip. My skin did get very dry though - what with the dry San Diego weather, and the dry air in the hotel and on the plane. I've been using extra hydrating emulsion and drinking lots more water!

I did like the AO2 cream a lot (I don't really need it anymore though). Hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle is bad for your skin, but the cream she uses is a stablized form of HP in a cream base, which is ok to use. It is very similar to benzoyl peroxide (not quite as strong though) - BP contains hydrogen peroxide too, it is actually the ingredient in BP that kills the acne bacteria. There are a few other stablized HP creams on the market - Philosophy makes one, and I think clearasil does too. Sometimes people who can't tolerate BP will use them. Totally safe, don't worry!

And don't be afraid to ask Laura questions - she won't get offended or anything like that. :)

Thanks, Willow! I'm glad to know that-I am one of those that can't tolerate BP anymore-it makes my skin super dry and red, so Laura recommended the AO2 cream instead. I really like it a lot.

Plane travel is so drying and I find long car travel hard on my skin too. Glad you only got one small spot. Are you travelling for the holidays? I bet the extra water and hydrating emulsion helps a lot. I have gotten to try it yet. I'm hoping to try it sometime!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Just thought I would point out that its been a year and a half since I started going to Face Reality! How time flies....

My skin has been pretty stable for awhile now. I do get the occasional small pustule, and a few clogged pores here and there, but other than that I've stayed clear. Even after traveling last week and this being PMS week, the only spots I have at the moment are two clogged pores (one on my chin that got a tiny bit inflamed a few days ago, but it almost gone now - its just a flaky red mark at the moment), and one slighlty inflamed, tiny pustule on my jawline (which started as a clogged pore that has been lurking for a couple of weeks.). I still go in for monthly facials - I could probably get by with going in every 6-8 wks, as there is very little to extract when I go in, but I like getting monthly peels. I feel like they really help keep my skin clearer and they improve the look and texture of my skin.

The body folliculitis is under control too - I credit the mandelic for most of my progress with that.

I'm so glad things are going well for you! You seem to have found a really great regimen, and those peels/extractions sound great. Oh, and thanks for all the help you've given me in my log, I really appreciate it. =]

I'm so glad things are going well for you! You seem to have found a really great regimen, and those peels/extractions sound great. Oh, and thanks for all the help you've given me in my log, I really appreciate it. =]

Thanks! Yeah, love getting the peels and extractions - I don't know how I existed without them! I'll keep an eye on your log to see how things progress for you. :)

Having a good skin day today. No actives, even the few clogged pores I had this past week are gone. No flakies or dryness today either. I really think the hydrating emulsion from Face Reality has really helped with that a lot. It contains hyaluronic acid - which I hear good things about. Hopefully I will be hydrated enough to get a peel on Saturday (instead of the hydrating facials I have needed to get the last couple of times).

Well, off to work now (yeah, gotta work on Christmas Eve....blah!!!!)

Just had my first visit with Laura today. Didn't get to read your whole thread willow, but your great results motivated me to make the call.

I just hope I get great results as well.

I'm so tempted to go to the clinic but my mother thinks it's a waste of money when I told her about it. Of course she says, "no, your face is fine, you don't need to go there" I'm hoping some how some way I can convince her to let me go there. I'll even pay for it my self... :|

Just had my first visit with Laura today. Didn't get to read your whole thread willow, but your great results motivated me to make the call.

Great to hear! I think you'll love going to them. How did it go today?

I'm so tempted to go to the clinic but my mother thinks it's a waste of money when I told her about it. Of course she says, "no, your face is fine, you don't need to go there" I'm hoping some how some way I can convince her to let me go there. I'll even pay for it my self... :|

I hope she decides to let you go. They work with all kinds of acne - from mild non-inflamatory to cystic (and everything in between!). Plus with them, it takes all the guesswork out of what products to buy, how to use them, etc. I feel like I've saved money overall, what with all the products I used to buy that didn't work or that I just ended up sticking under the sink and never using!

Great to hear! I think you'll love going to them. How did it go today?

The first treatment went pretty well in my opinion. Laura did a great job of explaining what she was doing and said I should be clear in 3 months :) ...which makes me very excited.

She was slightly worried that I didn't react to the 10% glycolic acid peel since it was supposed to sting ...but I felt nothing. Hopefully this won't impede anything.

Onto day 3.

Still going good. I have a couple of microzits - one in my smile line area (first I've had there in a few months), and one stubborn clogged pore near my jawline that has been extracted twice now, but keeps coming back. Both are coverable with makeup, so no worries! I haven't had any large inflamed zits for quite a while now, and I don't get as many clogged pores as I used to.

The folliculitis is mostly under control, but still not totally gone. The mandelic seems to be keeping it at bay, but I am still getting some spots here and there. Its at a level where its tolerable for me though!

I'm glad things are going so well for you! Thanks for all the help. =]

No problem - I'm happy to help anytime! :)

Nothing much to update still. Had this clogged pore that got a little inflamed - its been sitting there above my jawline for a couple months. It would start to go away and then come back. I got it extracted on Wednesday, so hopefully it will go away this time! Folliculitis is also staying pretty well under control too.

Hi, Willow. Just wondering why you don't use the toner in the p.m? Also, Kimberly wants to up my Derm-a-Gel to the Exfol-A in a couple weeks. If you tried it, what were your experiences with the Exfol-A? I'm a little concerned about the alcohol content in it and it being overly drying. It's been so nice not to have any dryness issues on the regimen.

Hi, Willow. Just wondering why you don't use the toner in the p.m? Also, Kimberly wants to up my Derm-a-Gel to the Exfol-A in a couple weeks. If you tried it, what were your experiences with the Exfol-A? I'm a little concerned about the alcohol content in it and it being overly drying. It's been so nice not to have any dryness issues on the regimen.

Hi,

I don't use the toner because using it twice a day just ends up drying me out. Especially after I added the finacea to my regimen several months ago.

As far as the Exfol-A goes, most people can bump up to it without problems. My skin usually reacts badly to retinoids, so I have just stayed with the milder Derm a Gel. I don't know if the Exfol-A will dry you out or not. Are you using the Hydrating Emulsion? I find that plus the cranberry cream keeps me hydrated most of the time. It might just take a few weeks for your skin to adjust to the Exfol-A? That's usually what happens with me when I start new products.

Hi,

I don't use the toner because using it twice a day just ends up drying me out. Especially after I added the finacea to my regimen several months ago.

As far as the Exfol-A goes, most people can bump up to it without problems. My skin usually reacts badly to retinoids, so I have just stayed with the milder Derm a Gel. I don't know if the Exfol-A will dry you out or not. Are you using the Hydrating Emulsion? I find that plus the cranberry cream keeps me hydrated most of the time. It might just take a few weeks for your skin to adjust to the Exfol-A? That's usually what happens with me when I start new products.

I've been getting along with no dryness by just using the hydrating emulsion at night and my SPF during the day. I find the SPF to be very moisturizing by itself. I'm actually looking forward to bumping up to Exfol-A. I'm hoping it will combat the non-inflamed spots much better than the Derm-A-Gel. I can always add in the hydrating emulsion in the a.m. if I'm getting too dry, and I guess dropping the toner is always an option, as well.