Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Willow's (Modified) Face Reality regimen

I am moving my log from the retinoid section, as I am no longer using Differin. Differin did not work out well for me at all (I used it for 8 wks). It made my chin break out horribly and left my forehead bumpy. I think my skin just didn't care for the stuff!

As of now, I have congested skin on my forehead, temple, nose/under eyes. No obvious acne and no inflammation, just general bumpiness and a few small whiteheads. This has been my ongoing problem since January or so. My chin has a little bit of active acne left, along with some bumps and spots that are healing, along with a few marks. All of that was due to using the Differin. I had no active acne there when I started! This is the area I really want to improve the most.

So here is the new plan:

I am being treated by an esthetician who specializes in acne treatment. I went in for a consultation yesterday. She tested my skin using 15% mandelic acid and 20% glycolic acid - neither of which caused any stinging. So, she says this indicates I do not have sensitive skin. She looked at my forehead (where I have been using the Differin) and said that it almost looks like an allergic reaction.

She set up a very specific routine using some high potency products, but ones that based on my skin sensitivity test, won't be too strong for it. Some of the products are only used every other night at first, others are only left on for 20 min at first, and then you gradually leave it on longer. All old products are gone, and I have a bunch of new ones as part of this regimen. I also go in for bimonthly facials to help the process along. I know this will all be $$$, but I think it will be worth it. Oh, and I am also taking doxycycline to help prevent inflamation.

Here is the routine for weeks 1 and 2:

A.M.

-Wash with Silica Facial Scrub

-Ice skin for a few min

-Apply Salicylic toner

-Apply Glycolic 10% serum every other day

-Apply oil free sunblock (also functions as moisturizer I think)

P.M.

-Wash with Silica Facial Scrub

-Ice skin for a few min

-Apply 10% BP - leave on for 15 min (Days 1-3), then wash off. I guess you gradually build up to leaving it on all night

-Apply Vivant Mandelic 15%

-Apply moisture balancing cream (first 2 wks only)

Whew!! And this plan changes on a daily basis!! I think she may add a Vitamin A product later on. I am going to put my trust in her knowledge and stick to this routine. She said I have noninflamatory acne and that she thinks she can get me clear quickly. Her treatment guide says 6-12 weeks - so hopefully since she said "quickly", that means I'll be on the lower end of that time frame! She also gave me a list of do's/don'ts - including not using fabric softener, what foods to avoid (sushi, salted foods, peanut butter, dairy - and some others).

Today is my offical Day 1. I'll update this evening after the PM product routine. Wish me luck!

I understand. I had a roommate like that once. She'd hop in the shower 10 min before she had to leave, wash her face, throw her hair in a ponytail and go. Me, I need to take 6 products in the bathroom with me, along with a printout of instructions.....

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Good luck with the new regimen. Alot of people seem to drop Differin. Have you ever considered Diacneal? :)

Anyway, i'll be sure to poke my head in here whenever i'm on.

Day 1

(well its technically day 1 1/2 since I started the evening routine last night....)

Skin update:

Most of my face feels pretty smooth tonight. I can already tell a difference from when I was on the Differin. No overnight miracles or anything, but my skin feels cleaner and smoother - especially my forehead. The only bad spot continues to be the left side of my chin, which still has a cluster of small slightly inflamed whiteheads and a few leftover marks. There are a few bumps on the right side of my chin, but those are clearing pretty well now. Other than that, just a few scattered microzits that are barely visible.

Tomorrow I add in the glycolic acid gel in the morning.

That's about all!

Good luck with the new regimen. Alot of people seem to drop Differin. Have you ever considered Diacneal? :)

Anyway, i'll be sure to poke my head in here whenever i'm on.

No sushi?!? How come?

Oh, and what's the deal with the icing?

I hope this all works out for you. If she puts you on the Vivant stuff you better pickup and move on back to the retinoid forum :D I'm actually thinking about ordering some samples of the the two milder ones.

I guess sushi is really high in iodine - which I guess can cause acne flares? Its the kelp that is the problem. It is very high in iodine. I only eat it a few times a month, so its not a big deal. She gave me a list of foods that are no-nos because they are high in iodine (salted foods, dairy, some seafood). And she also recommends avoiding high androgen foods - including peanuts, peanut butter, shellfish.

She told me that ice is very good for your skin - and that the doctor who created the Vivant line also recommends it. It does something to your pores - I don't remember exactly what. Yeah, if she adds a vitamin A product, I'll move back over to the retinoid logs. I don't know if she will or when that will be.

I added the 10% glycolic this morning. That stung a bit, but nothing too bad. Chin still looks crappy, but other than that all else is looking good.

On this site, they stress using a lower concentration of BP, coz it's so strong and might just turn around and irritate your skin. All I use is Cetaphil gentle cleanser, Neutrogena On-the-Spot, which is BP 2.5%, and Neutrogena Oil-Free moisturizer. It has worked miracles. And believe me, I've had relentless acne.

On this site, they stress using a lower concentration of BP, coz it's so strong and might just turn around and irritate your skin. All I use is Cetaphil gentle cleanser, Neutrogena On-the-Spot, which is BP 2.5%, and Neutrogena Oil-Free moisturizer. It has worked miracles. And believe me, I've had relentless acne.

Yeah, I did notice that the lower BP is what many people use. I am trying to stick to the regimen that the esthetican created for me (she decided on what products to use and at what concentration). She's very successful at treating acne prone skin, so I'm trusting she gave me the regimen she thinks is best. I am not leaving the 10% BP on all night (at least not yet). For the first several days, I only leave it on 15 min then wash off. Then for a few days, it stays on for 30 min, then is washed off. I think it takes 2 wks to work up to leaving it on overnight. I have a facial scheduled with her on Saturday, so I'll ask about the rationale for using the 10%. Maybe she'll step it down to a lower concentration once I am leaving it on all night, I don't know though.

Day 2 of the regimen:

Today's routine was similar to yesterday, but with the addition of a 10% glycolic serum in the morning.

My skin looks about the same as yesterday. Everything is looking good except my chin, which is still pretty broken out. The right side is starting to clear up - not really any active acne there, just some healing bumps and marks. The left side still has a few small pimples, plus some marks and small bumps that are still healing. This whole chin breakout was the result of me using Differin for 8 wks. I went from NO acne on my chin, to a totally broken out chin. Grrr....I really hate Differin!!!

No irritation or peeling on the new regimen so far. My forehead and cheeks are nice and smooth!!

I have also made some alterations to my diet during the past month or so. The changes are partly for overall health, and partly to help prevent acne flare ups. I have tried to cut out most processed sugars and pre-packaged dinners (which are loaded with sodium). I have replaced a lot of my dairy products with soy. I've also cut out salty snacks and reduced my intake of high iodine and high androgen foods (some types of seafood, peanut butter, etc.). So far, so good!!

Sounds like things are going well!

If she puts you on the Vivant, let me know ... I'll move your log over to Retinoids if you want ... that way you don't have to start a new one.

Sounds like things are going well!

If she puts you on the Vivant, let me know ... I'll move your log over to Retinoids if you want ... that way you don't have to start a new one.

Thanks! I think if she does that, it won't be for at least a month or so, but I will let you know. I was looking at the list of other Vivant products that she uses. Her list has The Vivant Derm-A gel, Exfol A Gel, Mandelic Acid (which I am using), and the Exfol A Forte Gel. I think most of the other products are from her own skincare line. I'm really glad she switched me from the Nucelle 10% mandelic to the Vivant 15%. I really like it a lot. I am amazed that it didn't bother my skin when I put it on. The 10% glycolic I used this morning tingled a little, but the mandelic hasn't done that so far.

The left side of my chin looks a bit worse today than it did yesterday. :( There are a couple of new spots that started popping up on Saturday that are now more noticeable - small, but given this whole area is broken out with tiny pimples, its just adding to the bumpiness. I think some spots may be drying out and healing (I hope!), so they are looking a bit worse. I am getting a bit of purging from the mandelic in a few spots - nothing too noticeable though. The right side of my chin continues to improve, so that's something at least!! I don't know why the left side is still being such a pain in the ass though!!! Sigh....

My derm gave me a similar list of do's and don'ts.

The only positive thing to come out of acne is drinking more water, less soda, and eating better.

Day 3

The left side of my chin continues to break out - it really looks bad today. Some of the old spots that were going away seem to have reemerged, along with some new spots as well. I'm a bit depressed about it actually. The right side looks ok - that seems to be continuing to heal, makeup covers it pretty well. A few tiny spots purging along the smile lines and a few on the forehead, but those aren't too visible and should go away quickly. No peeling yet, but my skin feels drier today.

Well, I'm feeling kinda bummed, so I'm going to bed now..... :cry:

I'm sorry your chin is getting worse. Just remember most acne treatments will make your skin worse before there are any improvements. Since you will be seeing your esthetican Saturday she will be able to spot any possible probelms with your regimen before it gets too out of hand. Hang in there :comfort:

I keep forgetting about you over here :wacko:

Might have to give the ice thing a try. Probably would feel pretty good on really hot days.

Once your clear will you have to continue on with this whole regimen? It just seems like a lot of steps to have to do for a extended period of time. Of course, as long as it's keeping you clear who cares right?

Thanks Bobbi. I really need encouragement right now. I just can't believe how awful my chin looks. I don't know if was going to do this anyway, or if it is from the new products. It does seem like some of the spots are starting to dry out and peel a little. The rest of my skin looks ok again today. I am glad I made the first facial appt for this saturday - I really need her to see what is going on with my chin. Maybe she can do some extractions to help the clearing process along. She called me yesterday to see how I was doing with the products - to make sure my skin was handling them ok. That's a major change from my derm who I rarely got to call me back!!

If this clears me up, I don't know what the long term maintenance routine will look like. I don't think it will be as bad when its not changing on a daily basis!

Thanks for checking in on me!!

The broken out part of my chin is starting to peel more. I think the peeling effects are part of the reason she uses the 10% BP (from what I have read, the peeling effects which can help clear you faster are the main benefit of the 10% over lower BP concentrations). Tonight I start leaving on for 30 min instead of 15. The spots on the right side of my chin are more obvious today - I don't know if it is because of the peeling or what. If it wasn't for this damn chin acne, my skin would be lookin' great!!

Well, things look a tiny bit better this morning. The active spots on my chin are starting to dry up and get scabby and peely, I think that is part of the goal of this regimen. Hopefully now that they are drying up they will start to go away!! I can see why they have you build up to leaving the BP on all night - I've only been leaving it on for 15-30 min, and its definitely having an effect!

The rest of my face is pretty clear (but I'm feeling kind of dry). I am getting a small bump under my eye - its too soon to know if it is going to be a problem spot. I iced it a couple of times today, just in case. I'm not peeling anywhere besides my chin.

The stubborn chin breakout is really pissing me off though. It has started to migrate out towards my jawline. I was wearing a bandaid on it for a few days - could this have made it break out more?

Given how this breakout has spread, I really wonder if the doxy I am taking is doing anything. Maybe the BP will help it from spreading more? I hope so. I see the esthetician on Saturday - hopefully I can get some good advice from her. Maybe she can also do some extractions on my chin. I am just so sick of my skin looking like this! This is really the first time in my life I look like i "have acne". Before it was never more than 1-2 pimples at a time. Why now?? I just don't get it.

Day 5

Well, its a not-so-good skin update tonight. A couple of spots on my chin that I thought were healing have re-emerged into inflammed pimples. :( One on the bad side of my chin and one on the side I thought was clearing up. It just popped up between this morning and now. It was one of those spots that has been hanging around for awhile - it never developed into anything and I thought it was going away. Guess not. The one on the bad side of my chin looks like a deep one. I've got lots of drying and peeling going on on that side of my chin too. I've got a couple other small spots around my nose area that are smallish (probably purging from the mandelic). And I am really getting dry too. The biggest positive change so far is that my forehead and temples are much smoother and clearer now. Cheeks and sides of my face are ok, but then they rarely break out. It looks like tomorrow will be another hiding in the house day for me.

Boy, I hope the esthetician can do something about my chin on Saturday. Maybe some extractions would help out? The only thing that's keeping me going right now is the fact that she has a 95% success rate at treating acne. All I know is I really damn sick of my skin looking like this. What is really sad is that what I look most forward to now is going to bed at night. Its the only time I don't think about my skin! How pathetic is that??

Well, that's about all. I hope tomorrow's update is more positive!!

Remember it's only day 5, and results can take a little while.

I know the feeling on looking forward to going bed.

I also don't mind working late nights anymore because I have an excuse not to go out.

Sounds like the esthetician knows what she's doing. With a regimen like that she's got to! Give it time, and I'm sure you'll see great results.

Ohhhh Willow :cry: I feel so bad for you. Hang in there, you get to go see your esthetician tomorrow. I'm sure she will be able to ease your mind.

Thanks for the support! I hope she sees some signs of progress tomorrow. I think its also looking worse because of all the drying and peeling that is going on. I wasn't really getting that before. I will say I have seen a lot of improvement in the texture of my forehead and temples. They didn't really have any acne, but they were kind of bumpy on the differin.

I do like the fact that there is someone I can check in with now to gauge my progress and make any needed changes to my routine, instead of me just trying to figure it out for myself. I almost wouldn't mind paying to see her once a week until I clear up!

Day 6

Skin update:

Well, not much better than yesterday. Some of the pimples on the chin area seem to be drying out and flattening, so I guess that's a bit of an improvement. One of the spots on the right side turned into one of those dark, blood filled pimples (haven't had one of those in the past 15 yrs!). It has dried out, but has left a dark scab. Hopefully that will dry up and peel off in time. The left side still has a number of spots, but they seem to be drying out more. I had a small (but oddly painful) spot pop up next to my nose. You can barely see it, but it is really sore for some reason. It already seems to be drying up though.

Forehead, cheeks, nose all remain in good shape. I'm still pretty dry (but no flaking or peeling except my chin). Moisturizer doesn't play a huge role in this regimen. Unless she tells me otherwise tomorrow, it looks like the moisturizer gets dropped completely after week 2. I don't know how that's gonna work, but we shall see! I have a facial scheduled for 11 am tomorrow, so I'll update when I get back.