Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hopeful42day

Ortho Tri-Cyclen - Has it worked for you??

Just started day 1 of Ortho Tri-Cyclen and I was just wondering who's tried it.. was it effective.. and how long before you see results?

Thankss!

~Hopeful~

Hi --

I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen for about four years before switching to the Lo version about a year ago. I was 19 when I first started. I had acne on my back, chest, face, neck - you name it. About six months into using the pill, things started to improve drastically. My body acne cleared up almost entirely, leaving just some left on my face. I'd say overall about a 75 percent improvement. I totally recommend it! The only annoying thing about it for me is the price...my insurance doesn't cover it. I still think it's worth it, though.

Really? That's awesome!

Did you experience any weight gain while on it? and for moderate acne how long do you think it'll take before i see results?

:wub:

Hi --

I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen for about four years before switching to the Lo version about a year ago. I was 19 when I first started. I had acne on my back, chest, face, neck - you name it. About six months into using the pill, things started to improve drastically. My body acne cleared up almost entirely, leaving just some left on my face. I'd say overall about a 75 percent improvement. I totally recommend it! The only annoying thing about it for me is the price...my insurance doesn't cover it. I still think it's worth it, though.

Hmm... it's hard for me to say if I gained weight from the pill or not. I have gained some weight since I started it, but that might be more linked to the fact that I was living away at college (and Doritos became its own food group) or maybe it was that my teenage metabolism was slowing down. I do hold water a lot more now that I'm on the pill. I think most people gain about 5-10 pounds as a result of it, mostly water though. I have known some people who didn't gain any weight.

I think it's like this... because the pill is meant to mimic pregnancy hormones so that you stop ovulating, you will experience some of the symptoms that pregnant women do. And you know how it is with pregnant women... one gains 80 pounds, the other gains just a couple.

I can't say exactly how long it will take for you to see results, but I remember that when my gyno first prescribed it for me, that was one of my questions. If I remember correctly, she said it would take several months to see a difference IF there would be one.

Guest Sincerely_Me

I'm so horrible...I'll be starting my new pack shortly.

I took it for two months straight, and I can say I did see a little improvement in my skin...not CLEAR, but it started getting better. I'd wait 6 months or so before you see a ton of improvement. So far I only experienced my boobs getting bigger and a little weight gain/bloating. I switched from OTC Lo to Trinessa (the generic...which I hated) to this. I've been on BC for a while, lol...but I just hate the way it makes me feel weight wise. I forgot about the clear skin aspect since I use it for the obvious reason, but this is new motivation!

Boo.. the one thing that no one wants to hear "several months"! I hope I don't gain much weight on this pill.. cause that'd just be the icing on the cake! However, I stopped using Proactiv ( hasn't been doing jack all.. think my skin's immune to it now) and switched to Neutrogena and I'm noticing improvement.. weird huh? Thanks for your input guys.. and if you learn of or experience anything else on Ortho Tri-Cyclen keep me updated.. and I'll do the same.

Wish me luck.... :pray:

~Hopeful~

Hi hopeful,

I've been on all sorts of birth control pills, most recently ortho tricyclen for three years. It cleared my acne on my shoulders and back within a month and I really didn't notice much difference with my face. It did seem to work against the smaller pimples, but not with any of the larger nodules or cysts. I also didn't gain any weight, but after a couple of years I developed depression and anxiety attacks. I didn't make the connection between the two until I read a forum on aphrodite women's health about hundreds of other women with experiences like mine. I decided to get off the pill and now after a couple of months the depression and anxiety have gone and my back and shoulders are still clear (for the moment). I would like to find a way to control my moderate acne without pills or accutane. A girl can dream can't she?

Women tend to have more success with Yasmin or Diane-35. But everyones different so you won't know until you try! Ortho made my acne worse.

Yep you're so right.. that's what sucks.. everyone is soo different that unfortunately what works for some- won't work for all.. otherwise we'd all be happy! lol.. Yaa I tried Diane for 3 months.. made my acne wayyyy worst! My skin actually cleared right up after I came off it! Then I went back to Proactiv which kept me crystal clear for a bout 6 months.. and now that 6 months is taking a toll on me!!!! Praying that Ortho Tri-Cyclen clears me up.. :pray:

Women tend to have more success with Yasmin or Diane-35. But everyones different so you won't know until you try! Ortho made my acne worse.

Yep you're so right.. that's what sucks.. everyone is soo different that unfortunately what works for some- won't work for all.. otherwise we'd all be happy! lol.. Yaa I tried Diane for 3 months.. made my acne wayyyy worst! My skin actually cleared right up after I came off it! Then I went back to Proactiv which kept me crystal clear for a bout 6 months.. and now that 6 months is taking a toll on me!!!! Praying that Ortho Tri-Cyclen clears me up.. :pray:

The reason Diane may not have worked for you could be that you didn't give it enough time. It took 8 months for me to see results on Diane, which my doc said is not uncommon. The package insert says average is up to 6 months to see results. For some reason, Diane appears to be slower acting. I believe it has to do with decreasing the number of androgen receptors on the sebaceous glands, not just androgens in the blood.

That is a definite possibility.. so I'm guna stick with Ortho-Tri as long as I can stand it.. so far it's been okay.. no breakouts.. but no improvements either.. I'm not complaining.. but I'm also taking Zinc, using BP Gel, Proactive, and want to try that B5 Vitamin that everyones talking about... Do you think it's too over whelming?.. I mean they're just vitamins.. right?

~Hopeful... or Hopeless~:wall: