Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ugh, i dont' know if this is caused by the CSR or not, but for the past three weeks, i have had MANY cysts. I've had atleast 8 or more, and i have yet another one beginning. Before trying the CSR, i would get maybe one a month. Could this possibly from the CSR? This is getting really annoying, and I am going to be applying for teaching jobs soon, so i really don't want to be broken out :wall:

Sorry if you've posted this before, but how long have you been on the CSR? It may sound like a cop-out, but when starting the CSR, lots of times everything under the surface of the skin will rise to the top making it seem like it's making your skin worse. Also, it's common for your skin to be irritated at the start which causes breakouts as well.

If you're not new to the CSR, are you absolutely positive you're doing everything correctly? I can't tell you how many posts we see asking why the CSR isn't working only to find out they're using BHA, scrubs, no moisturizer or some other nutty stuff.

I've been using the CSR for three weeks now.

Here is what I am doing in both the morning and night: Wash face with Cetaphil cleanser for about 15 seconds; i just can't cover my entire face in 10, especially with makeup. I then wait between 5 and 15 minutes and then apply about half a finger of BP. I then wait another 5 to 15 minutes and apply 2 o 3 pumps of Aveno ultra-calming moisturizer.

I know I am using less than the recomended BP, but I am slowly increasing it. I started with 1/3 of a finger once a day, a week later upped it to 1/3 finger twice a day. This week I upped it to 1/2 a finger, and next week will be goingto 2/3 a finger. Even with this slow progression i have been getting alot of drying and flaking, so i don't want to increase the BP faster than 1/6 a finger a week.

Is there anything I am missing? What is really considering me is how frequently these bloody things have been showing up. The number of cysts I have has increased 800% in the past month....

the regimen is only made for people with moderate or mild acne. maybe another method of treatment would be more effective in curing your acne.

maybe you are reacting to something in your moistureizer or cleanser...post what you use so we can see if there are any possible irritants.

I am using:

Cetaphil cleanser (liquid)

Dan's BP

Aveeno Ultra-calming moisturizer

Ideally, i would go and see a dermatologist, but unfortunately money is very tight right now, and I have no health insurance. Most of my money has to go to pay for my asthma perscriptions, so choosing between my face and breathing, i do choose breathing.

I would probably call my acne moderate. Even though i do get cysts, which are considered severe lesions, was only getting one or two a month befoe the CSR, so i would not call that severe. I started the regimen hopeing to get rid of my white heads, papules, and pustules.

Well the good news is the regimen will start working better once you're using one monster finger full of BP without having to worry about your skin being irritated.

How about the cleanser, do you feel it cleanses well enough? I was breaking out for months and cleared up when I switched from the cleanser you're using to Spectrojel. I also changed other things but I think the cleanser was contributing to my persistent breakouts.

I've been using the CSR for three weeks now.

Here is what I am doing in both the morning and night: Wash face with Cetaphil cleanser for about 15 seconds; i just can't cover my entire face in 10, especially with makeup. I then wait between 5 and 15 minutes and then apply about half a finger of BP. I then wait another 5 to 15 minutes and apply 2 o 3 pumps of Aveno ultra-calming moisturizer.

I know I am using less than the recomended BP, but I am slowly increasing it. I started with 1/3 of a finger once a day, a week later upped it to 1/3 finger twice a day. This week I upped it to 1/2 a finger, and next week will be goingto 2/3 a finger. Even with this slow progression i have been getting alot of drying and flaking, so i don't want to increase the BP faster than 1/6 a finger a week.

Is there anything I am missing? What is really considering me is how frequently these bloody things have been showing up. The number of cysts I have has increased 800% in the past month....

It sounds like you're doing it perfectly, even if you're using less bp than recommended. I had to start with 1/6th of a finger and then ratchet it up to a full finger in about a month and a half because my skin was really sensitive.

When I started, my acne did take a little spike -- I got a little more acne, and some in places where I hadn't gotten it before -- but then it started subsiding until I was finally clear (about 2.5 months in). It takes time to work.

edit: like Superfly, I too started out with the Cetaphil cleanser, but it didn't feel like it was doing the job, so I switched to the Purpose cleanser. However, if you feel it's cleansing well enough for your skin, I'd keep it (it's so so gentle!).

Hmmm, maybe i will try something other than the cetaphil. The only reason I had it on hand was because i used it when i had a rash all over and needed something super gentle.

I know Dan's cleanser is coming out next week, so i will order that and see if it dos better. Perfect timing too, the cetaphil is almost gone.

the cleanser is usually ok

its the moisturiser tat is causing the dryness/flakes

check this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=100960

when on the regimen your skin has to feel natural and pretty much normal, if its overly dry, your gonna break out and get worse acne, this is because your skin wil produce EVEN MORE sebum which wil then become clogged the all the dryskin etc that is bound to clog your pores!

switch moisturiser before anything else for definate

not many have had success with that particular moisturiser

check this thread for help in choosing a new one!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=97227

Hmmm, well, i haven't had too much trouble getting it to absorb like what Dan posted. My experience with it is I use 2 or 3 pumps (depending on how dry my skin is afte the BP), and rub it in. For the fist 10 minutes it looks greesy, but then it is absorbed. I also live in a SUPER dry climate (humidity <20%). Not trying to discredit what Dan has written, but I know when i'm in the Bay Area (around San Francisco, where dan is from) i have always had a hard time rubbing in moisturizer, but 4 hours away, my skin gobbles it up. I really believe different climates have different moisturizing needs.

One reason I am questioning (with the other two poster's prompting) how well the cleanser works is because of trying to remove makeup with it the other day. It took quite a bit of effort to remove my eye makeup using the cetaphil. Since it was a battle to get off the makeup, how well does it work for dirt? The other reason for the change is I am also almost out, and I have heard all the mods raving about it.

Since I am planing on getting the new cleanser (and will need it pretty quickly), i think i will only play with one variable at a time. I will keep my eyes open for the discontinued Eucern lotion that everyone loved, and if I can find it I will try it. Other wise, I will try finding a different lotion a few weeks down the road.