Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
katie04

retin-A compared to BP

I have mild acne...I'm using Cetaphil and a light Neutrogena moisturizer. My derm. recently gave me a prescription for Retin-A as a topical to use at night. I'm seeing on here though that a lot of you like Dan's BP. Is BP better to use than Retin-A?? anyone have any experiences with this?? Thanks :cool:

Guest Spike Rules89

Bp works great and I am having so success with retin a. Retin a will make you breakout more but is quicker, bp doesn't have an intial breakout but will take longer to see results.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

They're completely different products with very different effects. I don't really think they can be compared to be honest.

how are they different? If this is too complicated to answer, don't worry about it! I guess I just don't know which one to use....

They're completely different products with very different effects. I don't really think they can be compared to be honest.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

how are they different? If this is too complicated to answer, don't worry about it! I guess I just don't know which one to use....

Benzoyl Peroxide kills P.Acne's by oxygenating the bacteria. It aims to reduce the bacteria colony by providing an environment that doesn't allow bacteria to reproduce.

Retin-A is what's known as a tretinoin. It's made from Vitamin A.

Below is a fairly simple description of how it works.

"In the skin, it affects the depletion and dispersion of melanin as well as thickening and strengthening the tissues. Retin A increases blood vessel development and cell nutrition, decreases clogged pores and makes cells divide faster."

www.askdocweb.com

By exfoliating the skin ('makes cells divide faster') tretinoins aim to eliminate what's known as abnormal Keratinization, or the formation of the superficial layer of skin around hair follicles. Pimples form in follicles with an excess of keratinized cells. The Retin-A sheds these excess cells.

I've used both products and they are very different.

alot of derms do use them concurrently. Using the Retin-A at night, and the bp during the day. The combination can be pretty effective, although you will have more drynss that way.

Your best bet is to go with what your derm prescribed you. He/she has seen your skin and your particular acne situation and thinks the Retin-A would suit you.

If that doesn't work out for you, you can always try the CSR at a later time.

Good luck!

Also, in case you didn't know, benzoyl peroxide and Retin-A cannot be used at the same time because benzoyl peroxide renders tretinoin (the "active" ingredient in Retin-A) unstable. The only prescription retinoid that can be used at the same time as benzoyl peroxide that I know of is Differin (and generic Differin), which uses adapelene as opposed to tretinoin.

http://dermatology.about.com/od/topicals/l...opicalacneb.htm

true however upon reading that website you posted, you wouldnt apply two topicals at the SAME time, like one over the other

however, i suppose the overal effect of the treatment would be reduced if using a retinoid and BP due to they remain on your skin for sometime after you wash them off, so they may interact with each other that way.

My friend uses differin and BP and he find that fine. He uses BP at night and Differin during the day. This is Differin isnt as drying as BP and doesnt amke your skin suspectable to sunlight

true however upon reading that website you posted, you wouldnt apply two topicals at the SAME time, like one over the other

however, i suppose the overal effect of the treatment would be reduced if using a retinoid and BP due to they remain on your skin for sometime after you wash them off, so they may interact with each other that way.

My friend uses differin and BP and he find that fine. He uses BP at night and Differin during the day. This is Differin isnt as drying as BP and doesnt amke your skin suspectable to sunlight

As mentioned in my earlier post Differin can be used in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide; Retin-A and Tazorac cannot be used with benzoyl peroxide. It is OK to apply benzoyl peroxide in the morning and Tazorac or Retin-A at night, though.

I do apply salicylic acid right before Retin-A, by the way. My BHA liquid is pH compatible with tretinoin.

i use bp and retin-a micro.

they are used for diffferent purposes...the bp kills the bacteria and helps prevent new acne while the retin-a helps with the existing acne scars. i like it.

give the retin-a a try (use a pea sized amount, more is not better), you might experience an initial breakout, but it works pretty quickly.

Ok, Question!

Using a tretinoin will treat blackheads, whiteheads, papules, and pustules.

Using BP will treat _____________ ? Fill in the blank please :)

I know it treats papules and pustules for sure, but does it have any affect on blackheads and whiteheads?

Basically, BP is better for inflammatory acne and tretinoin is better for comedonal acne, but both can be used with some success for either condition. I have mild/moderate inflammatory papules only, and tretinoin has never helped me. After using BP for a couple fo months my previously very inflammed large papules have become tiny inconspicuous white heads...which is wonderful!