Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lovely_hunni

Safe Sunscreens?

I just had a soccer tourny last wekened, and used coppertone oil free sunscreen. I thought "hm..oil free..probobly won't break me out right?" But, nope. I was wrong. With the next few days i developed a papuale, along with some other small pimples on my nose within the next week. Grrrrrr.

So, i read another post on here, and a guy mentioned that the active ingredient in most sunscreens that cause people to break out is avobenzone. I then read the ingredients on my sunscreen, and yep, there it was;avobenzone

So basically, can anyone suggest a sunscreen without the ingredient avobenzone, that doesn't cause them to break out?

i use Simple's Face Protector Hydrolotion SPF 20

its non-irritating and doesnt block pores

though u need to reapply every hour or so

pretty good though, but i live in the UK, where do you live?

I just had a soccer tourny last wekened, and used coppertone oil free sunscreen. I thought "hm..oil free..probobly won't break me out right?" But, nope. I was wrong. With the next few days i developed a papuale, along with some other small pimples on my nose within the next week. Grrrrrr.

So, i read another post on here, and a guy mentioned that the active ingredient in most sunscreens that cause people to break out is avobenzone. I then read the ingredients on my sunscreen, and yep, there it was;avobenzone

So basically, can anyone suggest a sunscreen without the ingredient avobenzone, that doesn't cause them to break out?

Actually, avobenzone is not likely to break a person out. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are the sunscreen ingredients to watch out for. Also, pimples take about two weeks to form, so chances are your sunscreen was not the cause of your breakout. If you want to switch sunscreens, lots of people on this board love the Neutrogena Dry-Touch sunscreens, which come in SPF 30, 45, and 55. If you are convinced avobenzone is a problem for you, look for a sunscreen with mexoryl sx (which has not yet been approved by the FDA if you live in the United States).

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp...&id=prod1901651

Thanks for that list of suncreens, Dami4n. I might try the banana boat or loreal one.

I live in Canada, so_fitting, so we don't carry that brand of sunscreen here.

Well, actually im pretty sure it was avobenzone that made me break out. This is beacause about a month ago, i tried cetaphils face lotion with spf 15, which also broke me out. It too, contains avobenzone. After that, i gave cetaphil to my mom to try, who has rather good skin and it too broke her out. Actually, Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are the active ingredients in my current daily mosturizer, and it's never broken me out.

Actually, avobenzone is not likely to break a person out. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are the sunscreen ingredients to watch out for. Also, pimples take about two weeks to form, so chances are your sunscreen was not the cause of your breakout. If you want to switch sunscreens, lots of people on this board love the Neutrogena Dry-Touch sunscreens, which come in SPF 30, 45, and 55. If you are convinced avobenzone is a problem for you, look for a sunscreen with mexoryl sx (which has not yet been approved by the FDA if you live in the United States).

Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are actually the ones recommended for acne sufferers.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp...&id=prod1901651

Thanks for that list of suncreens, Dami4n. I might try the banana boat or loreal one.

Well, actually im pretty sure it was avobenzone that made me break out. This is beacause about a month ago, i tried cetaphils face lotion with spf 15, which also broke me out. It too, contains avobenzone. After that, i gave cetaphil to my mom to try, who has rather good skin and it too broke her out. Actually, Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are the active ingredients in my current daily mosturizer, and it's never broken me out.

Well that's awful you broke out! That is the sunscreen I've been using all summer and haven't had any problems with it at all. But for some people spf can cause issues.

I've actually heard, and talked about it with LabGirl before since she is a formulator of makeup, that titanium dioxide and zinc oxide spf are better for acne-prone skin as they are less likely to cause breakouts.

So, although I don't know of any brand names to recommend for you, you might just browse around at your local stores or online stores and read the lables and find one that doesn't have avobenzone.

I also have a book here called Breaking Out: A Woman's Guide to Acne, and it says that those who have trouble with Avobenzone or other similar spf ingredients should use Zinc oxide and/or Titanium Dioxide as they are less likely to cause problems.

neutrogena makes a good oil free non-comodegenic (is that how you spell it?) sunscreen. you can get it @ any drugsotre.

Definitely go for a sunblock containing titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide. I can't recommend any either :( . I'm not in Canada. Just search for some at stores. They're pretty hard to come across where I'm at but hopefully, in Canada, you could find them easy.

By the way, did you happen to use your current moisturizer w/ TiO2 & ZnO along with the avobenzone-containing sunscreen? If so, I'm glad you're switching! I just learned the combination of zinc oxide and avobenzone generate free radicals. So...yeah, I hope you find a good sunblock! :D

I might try the banana boat or loreal one.

Let me just update that the banana boat sunscreen I use doesn't break me out at all, and I've been using it for a while now since Dami4n's thread. Of course, YMMV! Good luck! :)

I live in Canada too...zinc oxide and octinoxate works great on my extremely acne prone skin. I love Proactive Oil Free Moisturizer with SPF 15 (not the one with SA in it!). You can buy it at most malls in Canada (Proactive has a kiosk), or order online or over the phone, and you don't have to buy the other Proactive products if you don't want to.

try ebay.co.uk theres one there that ships to "worldwide" thats the Simple one similar to the one i use, its teh same except i use SPF 20 and this is SPF 25

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIMPLE-SUN-SENSITIVE...1QQcmdZViewItem

thats the link, 2 days and something left on the auction, they retail for about £6 in the UK, so convert that to canada money and dont go over that.

You may be sensitive to avobenzone. Although it is less occlusive to the pores, it also has a higher risk of irritancy that titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Irritation can contribute to breakouts.