Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi! Um. I've had moderate to severe acne (boarding on cystic) for four or five years now, and...nothing...over-the-counter or prescription worked for me. I was unresponsive to every treatment my dermatologist threw at me. And allergic to half of the stuff in the first place---like, uh, soap...and...whatever they use in most over-the-counter treatments. I also had tried diets to no avail.

But then! I'm not sure why I started doing it, but I started moisturising my face an absurd amount.

...and...I haven't had a single break out in two months?

It's absurd. But I guess that's all I needed to do. Douse myself in moisturiser.

It doesn't seem to matter which moisturiser I use, so long as it's "light." I vacillate between using Neutrogena's Oil-free Moisture for Sensitive Skin and Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Hand and Body Lotion.

I put more moisturiser on whenever it occurs to me to do so...maybe three or four times a day, notably right after I wake up and right before I go to sleep. I keep putting it on until it feels like my skin can't hold any more.

I'm washing my face every day or two. This routine is so incredibly simple. So absurd!

When I first started doing it, within a week there were no new breakouts. Just the old ones healing. And it just got better from there.

...just thought I'd put it out there in case there are any other chronic cases out there like me. It'd never occurred to me that it could be this simple.

wow thats great, congrats! i remember my derm telling me at one of my visits that moisturising is KEY because if your skin is too dry, then the oil glands will start producing more oil to compensate and therefore:more breakouts. thats great though i'm glad you found something that works for you!