Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Refl3x

Is moisturizer good after acne treatment?

Hey, I was wondering, since I've read so many reviews about how dry people's faces become after using Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash, that if a moisturizer after would fix this dryness? If so, what's a good brand to use? Thanks.

And I hope Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash is a good choice to get rid of acne, I just realized that I should really do something about mine.

Yes definately start using a moisturiser. It has for sure helped with my acne marks. At the moment I am using Simple Replenishing Moisturiser but I have also tried Neutrogena's Pore Refining and Simple's Oil Control Moisturiser. These all worked well.

Let me know what works for you.

Thanks, finally someone replied. I was just worried that putting on moisturizer would like cancel out the acne wash. There were just so many moisturizers out there that I don't even know where to begin, but I'll just check those one's you posted.

i recommend aubrey organics moisturizer.

I know I sound like a broken record with my obsession with aubrey, but the results from aubrey's organics is amazing.

i use st. ives oil-free mosturizer and it works really well. it soaks in really fast and doesn't make your skin greasy at all...but does make it soft.

Alright, thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture first, but there are 3 kinds. I'm reading about all 3, and the reviews and stuff, and at first I was edging towards the SPF 15 one because I heard if you have acne wash on in the sun, something happens, and reviewers say it's a little greasy, and there's not as many "works good with acne wash" comments as others. But with the Combination Skin one, reviewers say that it's a lot less greasy, doesn't have the small of sun tan lotion, and works well with acne wash.

I'm confused, anyone have any insight on these moisturizers?

Don't use the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash. It contains two very harsh surfectants that are irritating to the skin. You can tell that it contains irritants because of how dry your skin feels after using it. Skin irritants prematurely kill skin cells and litter the skin with more dead skin cells than it can naturally slough off, increasing the chance of clogged pores. They also interfere with the skin's healing process, which is not good for acne.

It does contain salicylic acid, but salicylic acid in cleansers is not effective because 1) almost all cleansers have too high of a pH (over 4) to allow the salicylic acid to act as an exfoliant and 2) even if it did have a high enough pH, a lot of the salicylic acid would be washed away before it could start working.

If you like the Neutrogena line, try the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, which can be bought at most drugstores.

If you want an effective, gentle salicylic acid product (which is a rarity, let me assure you), try any from Paula's Choice. They can be bought on Ebay or from here:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/category2...PE=1&PAGETYPE=S

You should only moisturize skin that is dry or irritated. Moisturizing skin that does not need moisturizing can increase the chance of clogged pores because the moisturizer can mix with sebum and "glue" dead skin cells to the skin's surface.

Dove makes great moisturizers which can be bought at most drugstores.

Your sunscreen (yes, you need a sunscreen no matter what the weather's like or how much you're out in the sun) may be moisturizing enough for you, in which case you will not need a moisturizer during the daytime. Users of this site have given rave reviews over the Neutrogena Dry-Touch Line, which can again be bought at most drugstores.

I don't understand why there's always something wrong with every single acne treatment. Is there any acne treatment that actually works for people that you can find at a store?

I don't understand why there's always something wrong with every single acne treatment. Is there any acne treatment that actually works for people that you can find at a store?

Many benzoyl peroxide acne treatments in stores are good; it's just that good salicylic acid products are almost impossible to find. Neutrogena made a Clear Pore Nighttime Treatment Gel that was a good salicylic acid option, but it has been discontinued. Don't be afraid to order the Paula's Choice over the internet (or phone), it's well-worth it. If you don't have a credit or debit card you can order it by check or money order; I used a check the first time I bought it.

The problem with a lot of acne treatments is that they contain irritants which can be felt right away to make the consumer think a product is working. This goes back to the incorrect notion that dirt clogs pores and that harsh products must be used to purge the skin of it and "dry up" acne pimples.

Alright, I searched up on BP and found that Clean & Clear Persa-Gel 10 Maximum Stregth works and gets good reviews.

It's not like I have mild acne, it's mostly around my chin and there usually is a couple pimples that pop up occasionally, but there is mostly red spots I guess you'd call them from previous pimples. Then I have other random red spot type things around my lower cheeks. It just looks really bad under a lot of light, but it's not as noticable under darker light.

Hey! to answer you question... YES moisturizer is absolutely necessary! esspecially since you are probably drying the crap outta your face with that face wash. I know that everyone seems to be throwing a lot of info and products at you right now.. but honestly you just need to use something gentle. Try a face wash that doesnt contain all of those chemicals (which really makes it worse) I love Purpose gentle cleanser by johnson and johnson.. its like 6 bucks at walgreens and comes in a clear bottle with a pump.

After that you should moisturize with something else that is gentle and oil free. A big plus would be if it had a sunscreen also! I use Olay complete spf 15 during the day (not greasey) and at night i use Eucerin Renewal lotion (have to buy online) the Eucerin contains a lactic acid which is a AHA and gently exfoilates the dead skin, leaving you with a more evened tone.

I also use an acne mark fading peel twice per week. Its made by neutrogena and has 2% salicylic acid. Makes my skin feel smooth :D If you have acne around your chin, my suggestion would be to spot treat the area with acne with a benzol peroxide after washing and before moisturizing. Proactiv's brand is great because it actually penetrates deep into the pore, killing the bacteria on the surface and within.

I have been doing a lot of research and reading tons of books and this is just my opinion and what i have found that works... Good luck! :cool: