Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MichelleMG

Birth control and adult acne

I have been dealing with acne for a while now. I am going to be 27 in two months and am SO tired of having bad skin. After doing a lot of research online about the harmful ingrediants in most "expensive" facial washes, I went and bought some all natural wash from Desert Essence. It has tea tree oil in it and I also bought Jojoba Oil. I have only been using it for a couple days so I have yet to know if it will completely work....

Anyways...

I went to get a facial a couple weeks ago and the esthetician said that she could see that since most of my acne was on my cheeks, she asked if I was on BCP. She also said that there was not a lot of buildup in my skin but just that my skin was inflamed and irritated. She said the Proactiv and Philosophy products would not do anything since I have "true adult acne."

I soooo want to get off of my birth control for a couple months to see if that clears up my skin but the live in boyfriend isnt too happy with that decision. I am hoping that this new all natural skin care stuff works better. I think maybe the harsh ingrediants were causing my breakouts.

QUESTION:

Is jojoba oil supposed to absorp quickly?

I would suggest getting off the birth control pill and see how it goes. Or see your doctor and change your current pill to another brand.

I found heaps of cool information at http://www.natural-acne-treatment.info

Tell your boyfriend that there are other methods of birth control and if he still doesn't like it, he can go without.........I'm sure he will change his mind. :D

I hope this helps.

It's your body, so make sure you make the decisions...not your boy. BCPs like Yasmin, Ortho-Cyclen and Ortho-Tri -Cyclen actually help adult acne the majority of time, so getting off the pill may actually make your acne worse. That's what happened to me. Ortho-Cyclen Lo and Depo Provera may aggravate acne, so if you're on either one of those, getting off may be a good decision.

I've never tried jojoba oil, but I think any kind of pure oil absorbs slowly.

Good luck with everything! :D

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Jojoba oil absorbs fairly quickly. How much are you using? Rememer you only need 1 or 2 drops. And to apply you put the drops into you hand, rub them together, and then pat you face. Don't rub it into your face.

Ugh. I was about to post questions about the BCP and acne when I saw your thread. Not to highjack your post, but I'm wondering about this, too.

I also heard that the pill helps acne. I was on orthotricyclen for about 8 years and then switched to another brand. (I'm 27, too.) Recently I switched to the NuvaRing, which I LOVE :dance: , except for the fact tat the pill seemed more effective at keeping acne at bay.

Anyone else on Nuvaring? It has a very low dose of hormones and since it's absorbed directly into your body (as opposed to having to be strong enough to survive digestion and stomach acids) it's supposed to have very low side effects.

From my experience, I would definately say that birth control helps acne.

I was on Dianette and came off it last year to try for a baby - what a mistake! My acne flared up worse than ever - big cysts, and I now have new scars because of this! I panicked when this happened and went straight back on the pill, but I still want a baby.

Im due to go on Accutane this week and I hope that this will clear everything up in order for me to be able to try for a baby once the course is finished.

I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for a year and it helped my acne to a certain point, but only with the larger pimples. I've been on Yasmin for a few weeks now and it seems to be helping more than what I was using before.

From my experience, I would definately say that birth control helps acne.

I was on Dianette and came off it last year to try for a baby - what a mistake! My acne flared up worse than ever - big cysts, and I now have new scars because of this! I panicked when this happened and went straight back on the pill, but I still want a baby.

Im due to go on Accutane this week and I hope that this will clear everything up in order for me to be able to try for a baby once the course is finished.

Wow! This was my experience exactly. I was on the pill (Marvelon) for ten years and my skin was totally clear (acne prior to going on the pill was mild). When I went off last year, acne came back with a vengence - it never even crossed my mind that this could happen. So, now baby plans are on hold and I've been on accutane for about 3 weeks. I guess what I've learned from all of this is that the pill can be really good at suppressing acne but there's a chance it'll reappear once you go off it.

Hi everyone...

I'm 25 and I've been on the pill (Ortho Tri Cyclen first and now Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) for over five years straight. I've had acne since I was 11 and it was MUCH WORSE up until I went on the pill. For me, there was a definite connection between the two -- it's all about hormones.

Although it didn't clear it completely, acne that used to be severe on my back, chest, shoulders, neck and VERY BAD on my face - including cysts - faded to just moderate on my face and almost totally cleared up on my body (though I still won't wear backless things). I would estimate about a 75 percent improvement by the time I had been on Ortho Tri Cyclen for half a year.

Sometimes I do wonder about the adverse effects that using the pill for so many years can have. Still, I can't bring myself to go off of it. I'm afraid of what will happen! Topical medications never really helped me all that much.

Glad other people are in the same situation as I am. However, after using this Desert Essence face wash and Jojoba oil for almost a week now, my face is clearing up. It is crazy. I spent over $100 on three products that an esthetician suggested and it did nothing for me. Suddenly, it is clearing up little by litte but I notice the redness from my long time pimple spots (cheeks) are fading.

I went on a couple different BCP over the past two years b/c some of them were making me extremely emotional. I am thinking of changing again but Kaiser doesnt care Ortho TriCyclen. Only the generic version.

Good luck everyone!

I was on ortho tri cyclen for many years and it cleared up the acne on my chest, back and shoulders. It didn't really help for my face...it helps with the smaller zits, but not with the larger ones. Last year I developed depression and horrible anxiety attacks. I went off the pill a couple of months ago and although the drepression and anxiety disappeared (thank God!) the acne came back so bad. I'm trying to wait it out because I'm too afraid of going back on the pill because of depression/anxiety.

I was on ortho tri cyclen for many years and it cleared up the acne on my chest, back and shoulders. It didn't really help for my face...it helps with the smaller zits, but not with the larger ones. Last year I developed depression and horrible anxiety attacks. I went off the pill a couple of months ago and although the drepression and anxiety disappeared (thank God!) the acne came back so bad. I'm trying to wait it out because I'm too afraid of going back on the pill because of depression/anxiety.

Your experience with going off the pill is very similar to mine - clear skin when on pill and started breaking out about 1 month after I went off. I've been off the pill for a year now and unfortunately the acne just kept getting worse. I know, that's not what you what to hear but I just wanted to let you to know that the "wait and see" approach might not work (at least, it didn't for me).

I never thought it would come to this but I'm on accutane now. Hopefully, that won't be the route you need to take but I would highly recommend that you look into what your options are - the sooner the better. Don't worry, there's other treatment options other than going back on the pill but it's also possible that it was that particular brand that caused your depression/anxiety. Good luck to you!

Hey guys,

I may fit into this category - went off birth control, and acne started to flare up and gradually get worse and worse (like, big cysts at my temples - starting to spread). I didn't do anything about it for a couple months because I was almost in disbelief (like, who me? skin problems??) but now it's reached a point where I feel I have to see a dermatologist. I'm nervous about the possibility of scarring...

It really blows because I didn't have problems like this at all before I tried the pill and came off of it. I feel like once the bacteria lodges deep, it takes a long time for the skin to recover. Or something like that. Here's to hoping...

So I guess the BC works for some...and not for others.

I will be 30 soon...and my acne is wreaking havoc on my face. It really flares up something awful around my period.

What type of low dosage did you guys take?

Reading through this I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar experience to mine. I started out using the Nuvaring, which I loved because it had so few side effects and kept me stable. It didn't really help my acne, but it didn't seem to aggravate it either. Then I switched to the pill because I was tired of having a foreign object shoved up inside of me. :rolleyes: I was put on Ortho Tricyclen Lo and told the whole line about how all birth control pills should help regulate acne yadda yadda, well OTC Lo did not help my acne at all, if anything it made it a little bit worse. On top of that I became moodier and grumpier and generally depressed more and more every month. 17 days ago I started taking regular Ortho Tricyclen and my skin has steadily cleared up quite a bit! I still have red marks all over the place but those can be covered and left alone to heal, so I can deal with that as long as I have no NEW breakouts. :D So now I have a few questions for anyone who understands this birth control stuff:

1. Should the higher estrogen content of regular OTC make me more or less moody and depressed than I was on OTC Lo? Either way I've since been prescribed Prozac so hopefully that will keep me sane. But I would like to understand whether it's progesterone or estrogen that causes me to go psycho. :wacko:

2. Am I likely to break out badly in a few days if/when I stop taking the active pills?

3. Would taking the pill packs back to back to prolong time between periods help keep my skin clearer longer? Has anyone tried this?

1. Should the higher estrogen content of regular OTC make me more or less moody and depressed than I was on OTC Lo? Either way I've since been prescribed Prozac so hopefully that will keep me sane. But I would like to understand whether it's progesterone or estrogen that causes me to go psycho. :wacko:

I can only speak from personal experience, but for me, switching from OTC-lo to regular OTC actually made me more moody, suggesting that the higher estrogen was the culprit. But I know a lot of people take the regular dosage very happily, and my natural PMS symptoms include moodiness anyway, so I think it really depends on how your personal body chemistry reacts to different levels of estrogen. I hope it works well for you!

3. Would taking the pill packs back to back to prolong time between periods help keep my skin clearer longer? Has anyone tried this?

This isn't a direct answer to your question, 'cause I'm not sure of the answer, but it's just something to know about triphasic (three different levels of hormone) pills like OTC, in case you don't know already (if you do know, I thought it might help out someone else...):

When you take the pill, what causes your period is the drop in hormone level from the active pills to the placebos. In the case of OTC, this is from the dark blue pill to the green pill. With monophasic pills like Ortho-Cyclen, which have three weeks' worth of pills with the same level of hormone, and one week's worth of placebo, you can take the pill packs back to back and usually skip your period, because your hormone level doesn't drop at all and your body isn't triggered to begin your period. But with triphasic pills, if you go from week 3 of OTC (dark blue) to week 1 of the next pack (white) and skip the placebo pills, you are still lowering the dosage of hormone enough that your body may be triggered to start your period anyway. I tried skipping my placebo week and moving right on to the next pack once, and I managed to stave off my my period for about 4 days, but on the 5th day I started spotting, and I didn't stop spotting 'til I'd been through the entire 4 weeks of the new pack. I've heard that if you want to skip your period on triphasic pills, you can take your pills back to back like this: white pills (pack 1), light blue (pack 1), dark blue (pack 1), dark blue (pack 2), light blue (pack 2), white (pack 2), placebo. But I haven't tried this, and I can't speak with any confidence about whether or not this will mess up the effectiveness of the birth control, so you might want to ask a doctor about that if you decide to try it.

It also is trial and error with the BCP.

Ortho Tri Cyclen LO absolutely KILLED me. Horrible. Worst experience of my life. But Yasmin clears me up.

Hmmm...our bodies are so different. Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo saved me, I even opened a new topic about it because I am so thrilled with the results. Going OFF of birth control has caused me more nightmares than anything, I have never experienced hormonal acne like that in my life - I was absolutely miserable. Now my skin is healthy and glowing and spot free, just a few little "bumps" but no real zits that are filled with any bad stuff. It's a miracle.

I can only speak from personal experience, but for me, switching from OTC-lo to regular OTC actually made me more moody, suggesting that the higher estrogen was the culprit. But I know a lot of people take the regular dosage very happily, and my natural PMS symptoms include moodiness anyway, so I think it really depends on how your personal body chemistry reacts to different levels of estrogen. I hope it works well for you!

Did you end up staying with the regular OTC or switching to something else?

I know all that stuff about taking your second pack backwards on a triphasic, and it seems to me like even that gradual drop in hormones could possibly still bring on spotting, but it seemed like it might be worth a try. The nurse at the health department was really encouraging me to use Ortho-Cyclen instead, and I would like to be on a monophasic pill, but I wasn't sure about the higher level of progesterone throughout the whole cycle as I am wanting the most anti-androgenous effects possible without paying for Yasmin.

Hmm, that's another good question, Cyclen vs Tricyclen, which is better? I should probably start a new thread but if anyone wants to add their .02 here that's cool too. :)