Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CandyFlipper

Acne duration. Please read!

Hey everyone i've got a question which i hope someone can answer! Ok, lets say two people have moderate acne. One person first starts getting it when he's 13, while the other person first begins to break out at the age of 17. My question is: Would the person who developed acne at 13 grow out of it before the person who developed it at 17, or would it be the same for both people. The reason i ask this is because i've heard that adolescent acne usually lasts for around 5 years. I am 18 years old and have noticed that some of my friends who starting getting acne at a younger age than me, seem to be growing out of it now. It appears to me that if you start getting acne at, say, the age of 14, you will probably grow out of it by about 19 or 20, whereas if you start to develop acne at say 18, you may not grow out of it until your mid twenties. I may be completley wrong here, but it is just what i have observed. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this topic or know anything about it? I'd be really interested to hear... Oh and BTW, don't reply to this post saying that for some people acne continues well into their 40's. I am well aware of this and am just talking in general terms about adolescent acne.

Cheers everyone thank-you for taking time to read my post!

Ive noticed the same thing. My friend had it bad when he was young, but outgrew it several years later, whereas I developed it later and still have it.

i dont htink its true, ive had acne since age 13...im now one month away from 20...and i dont see it going away anytmie soon..

i actually just woke up to about 5 new zits, great

im going to try accutane starting monday

I don't think it matters who developed acne sooner. It's probably in their genes. Mild-moderate acne runs in my family and I've noticed 4 of my cousins outgrew their acne about a year after they graduated from high school. Coincidence? I think not.

Hey everyone i've got a question which i hope someone can answer! Ok, lets say two people have moderate acne. One person first starts getting it when he's 13, while the other person first begins to break out at the age of 17. My question is: Would the person who developed acne at 13 grow out of it before the person who developed it at 17, or would it be the same for both people. The reason i ask this is because i've heard that adolescent acne usually lasts for around 5 years. I am 18 years old and have noticed that some of my friends who starting getting acne at a younger age than me, seem to be growing out of it now. It appears to me that if you start getting acne at, say, the age of 14, you will probably grow out of it by about 19 or 20, whereas if you start to develop acne at say 18, you may not grow out of it until your mid twenties. I may be completley wrong here, but it is just what i have observed. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this topic or know anything about it? I'd be really interested to hear... Oh and BTW, don't reply to this post saying that for some people acne continues well into their 40's. I am well aware of this and am just talking in general terms about adolescent acne.

Cheers everyone thank-you for taking time to read my post!

There's a correlation but not a straight one

Acne incidence in teens is higher than in adults because the body of a teen produces more growth hormone than anyone else. Growth hormone makes the body very sensitive to insulin and production of IGF-1 which in turn increase the production of androgens in the body which are responsable for clogged pores and sebum production.

On average the sooner a boy or a girl starts producing massive amount of growth hormone (growth spurt) the sooner their body will run out of such excess of growth hormone stabilizing their levels

On the other hand someone may still be sexually developed from an early age without ever experiencing a growth spurt till 15 or 16. They will experience higher concentration of growth hormone for a longer period

It's the reason why there are girls who are developed at 9 or 10 and stop growing in height while there are boys who are still growing 6 inches at the age of 24

The correlation with acne and teens have more to do with growth hormones and bones growth than with sexual maturation and testosterone levels

Like with height and bone growth there are always exceptions but on average the sooner you have a growth spurt the sooner the hormonal profile in your body becames less sensitive to acne development

For some people such decrease in growth hormone and insulin sensitivity may be enough to stop acne processes, for many people it isn't enough and even at a milder level that factor is still triggering acne for them, which is way 40 to 50% of adults older than 30 suffer from acne in developed countries (keep in mind that many people who have not acne or just few pimples in their face are covered in their back or chest or evern bottom :confused:

Danny

You are correct!

Ance haunts me when I was 17+ and it has been tormenting me since then. Now at the age of 22+, I hope it will go off by mid-20s or at least 28.

Those who has acne during early teenage years will most probably grow out of it by 19.

I totally agree with the original poster of this thread. Most of my friends have clear skin now but did not back in middle school and high school. For example i had a friend who i met in 8th grade who had pretty moderate acne, so i guess he was probably 13. He probably even developed it before then b/c 8th grade was the first time i met him. Anyways, by 12th grade his face was completely clear and i dont think he ever saw a derm or went on any special regimens, he just outgrew it. Now he has the most perfect looking complexion with zero scaring. A couple other of my friends were similar to this developing acne around 13 and growing out of it by 18 years old.

I have definetely noticed a trend that adolescent acne lasts about 5 or 6 years and then clears up on its own just as fast as it hits the person. This is just my opinion take it or leave it, but i started getting acne when i hit 16 and am now 20 and am noticing a gradual clearing in my skin. I am very self-conscious so just one blemish will make me feel like staying inside but i know my skin is so much better than it was a couple years ago and i dont do anything special. All i do is shower once a day and use dove sensitive skin bar and thats it. I dont wash my face any other part of the day or anything. Anyways, all im getting at is i definetely notice a trend with adolescent acne so for those who suffer with mild-moderate adolescent acne just hang in there and it will go away on its own. If you really want you could try to get something from a derm but i dont really believe anything works except for accutane and they will never prescribe it for mild cases. Good luck everyone becoming acne free.

no one can really say for sure, but I think the average shelf life for acne is 5-7 years regardless of age. Anyone second that?

Im talking about the time between when u never break out without medication, minus a small zit once a month maybe.

i've had acne since the fourth grade and it has gotten progressively worse. I am now entering 11th and it is still going strong! :cry: I've tried lots of stuff, but if your 5-7 years idea is right, that means i should be out of the forest really soon!

...but i have a feeling acne lasts as long as it wants to last, and there isn't a whole lot we can do except for get it mildly under control with the tips on this message board.

i've had acne since the fourth grade and it has gotten progressively worse. I am now entering 11th and it is still going strong! :cry: I've tried lots of stuff, but if your 5-7 years idea is right, that means i should be out of the forest really soon!

...but i have a feeling acne lasts as long as it wants to last, and there isn't a whole lot we can do except for get it mildly under control with the tips on this message board.

wow that sounds a lot like me! I've had acne since second grade and I'm going into 11th. Thankfully for me it's starting to clear up really well, just have those nasty blackheads and redmarks, which are also starting to go away.

Danny: I'm a little confused. Does that mean that once you have a growth spurt the acne goes away? If that's true, not so with me. Haven't growed much since I was 14, and still had pretty bad acne until last month. Unless I'm going through a growth spurt right now. (Don't I wish, at 5'1" I could use some more height, though I'm not complaining, generally I like being short) Is it possible for girls to do that? Stop growing for a while then have a sudden growth spurt?

I haven't grown in awhile. In the past 3-4 years, I've only grown 4 inches. I think I've stopped growing since my mom did at my age.

I have had acne for awhile too. It is going WAY down, well, it did when I was gentle to it.