Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fruity

pregnancy and acne treatment

Just took a pregnancy test and its positive! I even took another one to make sure i wasnt dreaming. but of course because i have acne im nervous about my skin. anyone have suggestions for safely treating and preventing acne while pregnant? Is tea tree safe? bp? ill do sea salt tonight but ive tried it before and its not enough.....THanks!

i know there has to be people out there that know someone whos been pregnant with acne......PLease?

i know there has to be people out there that know someone whos been pregnant with acne......PLease?

Hey fruity,

I've never been pregnant but I'm sure the hormone influx will be a doozy... Anyways, first congratulations on your new addition... best of luck w/that... Obviously, internal acne meds are out of the question due to your pregnancy, however there are several options you can exercise. There is a method of exfoliation coined "Jessexfoliation" w/a synthetic brush that may work wonders in the fight to control your acne. Take a look at the message board for this technic to get a better idea of what it entails. Personally, being a person that prefers to take the natural route of treating my acne, I find this method to be 1. cost effective... rather cheap considering the alternatives 2. quick and simple... not time consuming at all 3. benefical... my skin hasnt looked this good in years and I have this method to thank. Let me outline my method of exfoliation cleansing so that you can have a better idea of what I'm talking about:

Day:

Shower, clean face w/Cetaphil liquid cleaner (Normal/Oily Skin)

While face is still wet, I apply 2 drops of organic jojoba oil and massage into my skin for 30 secs. - 1min.

Night:

Clean hands thoroughly

Wash face w/Cetaphil

Apply Cetaphil to soft facial brush and move around my face in small circular motions, until the entire face has been cleansed

While face is still wet, apply 2 drops of organic jojoba oil and massage into skin for 30 secs. - 1 min.

I recently added the jojoba oil and I LOVE IT!! I have combination skin and was always afraid to use moisturizer, this "oil" (it's actually a liquid wax) has been heaven sent. Just remember that a little bit of this oil goes a long way. Please also keep in mind that you should not exfoliate more than 3 times a week. Over-exfoliation can cause irritation that will make the problem worse. During the days that exfoliation isn't necessary, you may wash and condition your face just as I listed for the "Day". Also keep in mind that for this exfoliation method, it is best to use an extremely mild cleaner, I prefer Cetaphil liquid cleaner because it does not irritate my skin at all. Using any cleaners w/acne fighting compounds such a bp or sa dry the skin out, causing more acne. With that said, I hope this was helpful.... Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress

P.S. drink plenty of water, fruits and vegetables... Healthy for you, baby and your skin will thank you for it

Thanks so much for the advice and details! I will try this as i just bought purpose soap and i have a facial barish thats been sitting in my closet unused. Thanks for the well wishes too!!!!!!!!!

I'm currently 19 weeks pregnant. I was completely clear using the acnefree system, and then I wanted to go with something more natural. I tried the Burt's Bees garden tomato face soap/toner. It made everything so much worse, and I gave it about a month before I stopped using it. I asked my doctor what I could use and she told me that Benzoyl Peroxide is okay to use, but to not use Salicylic acid. I've been using the acnefree for about a week again and it has almost cleared up my horrendous breakout (there was seriously not a centimeter of my face that did not have a whitehead or cyst on it!)

why not use SA juss curious for 10 years from now if i still have acne when i do get pregnant .. what was wrong with SA? is it bc it penetrates the pores and could get into the blood stream?