Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JessFirestone

OIL BLOTTING PAPERS

Hey guys, I have no idea if anyone will like this or not, but if you want to make your own oil blotting papers this is how I do it in < 5 min for free and yes I'm ready for the "EWW" flaming as a broke student I need all the help I can get lol. Clean n Clear oil blotting papers cost $5.99 plus tax for a pack of fifty 3" x 2" blue rectangles. I used to go through a pack in 3 days :hand:

This is totally sanitary since you use an unopened pack. If you've never tried using one for blotting your oil, the next time you see toilet seat covers just try one of them out for that purpose (if you have oily skin) and I think you'll be tres impressed.

• 1 pair sharp scissors (the larger the better)
  • 1 pack of toilet seat cover
  • ziploc bags
OK... you know those toilet seat covers you can find in lots of public restrooms...

IPB Image

Obtain a new pack. It's best to ask someone who works in the building if you can have it.

Over 250 sheets like this to one pack.

You can cut the pack in three different places to make rectangles that unfold vertically to double in size.

You can easily make over 1000 oil blotting sheets about 3" x 4" when folded in half, and 3" x 8" when unfolded. They last forevor and you can keep them in ziploc bags or in the ripped out the pages of a mini photo album or whatever works for you.

This is about a third of one pack, maybe a little less.

IPB Image

Place it unfolded like this:

IPB Image

This is how I cut the sheets using one sheet as an example. I cut both corners like this:

IPB Image

You can cut a third one in the middle:

IPB Image

Experiment with different sizes until you can cut a decent amount of sheets in a straight line (hence the large scissors :) )

IPB Image

My skin doesn't get so oily anymore but I wanted to post in case anyone might find it beneficial somehow....

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Did you make a thread about this awhile back?

Oh well it's good to bring it up again cause those things seriously work. I've also found that those brown paper towels in publis restrooms can work pretty well. They aren't as good as toilet seat covers, but they are up there if the whole toilet seat cover things turns you off.

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Wouldn't oil absorbing cooking sheets work just as well. Also you can store them at home without people asking WTF!

She said that she was using 3 packs a day at about $6 a pop. That gets expensive and this is a cheap way to do it.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I don't use oil blotting sheets, just came in to check out your thread Jess. You make me laugh, you're so thorough. It's great. :D

can you buy these toilet seat covers in stores like walmart or something =)

just take 'em from the wal-mart bathroom. :cool:

The only place I've ever seen them is in an aeroplane toilet. You can get a massive role of greaseproof baking sheets for one or two pounds (UK) and I think it's worth the money so everyone doesn't think you're a weirdo :lol: .

Jesse:

I have heard of this and they do work just as well as the ones that Clerasil and the rice paper that you can purchase at a beauty supply store. Thanks for sharing. One has to be thrifty when they need to and why waste your money!!!

E.L.F. brand makeup makes cheap oil blotting papers-they're a dollar for a pack of 50. You can get them at Target or eyeslipsface.com

The only place I've ever seen them is in an aeroplane toilet. You can get a massive role of greaseproof baking sheets for one or two pounds (UK) and I think it's worth the money so everyone doesn't think you're a weirdo :lol: .

I don't think greaseproof paper really works as it's "grease-proof" I thought about it too but there's not much logic to it.

I just started the regimen last night. My problem area is my chin. When I woke this morning I could already see a difference (less swelling and redness). However, my problem is the oily look and feel my skin has, any way to fix this? Less mousterizer? Some times my skin is flaky and other times just down right oily.

Is my only solution the oil blotting paper?

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Danielle

I use blotting paper called " Clarity shine control paper" and they are a small, booklet of sandy coloured paper, AND THEY ARE AMAZING. ONE drawback is that they are too small and I end up using several sheets. also..they are DIRT CHEAP. They are usually on buy one get one free. One booklet of 65 sheets is about £0.99. When I use them, it leaves a wonderful matte finish on my face...as if I have just applied powder. I can see all the oil soaked up on the pages as dark pages...I use them twice a day and they are FANTASTIC!! I think you can find them at "superdrugs" in England, because "clarity" is a superdrug brand. Those clearasil blotting papers are very expensive!!!!!!

Yea I came up with this idea on my own awhile ago. I grabbed a whole lot of toilet covers from the library bathroom, cut them up and used them. They are ok, but they don't absorb as much oil as the clean and clear or generic brand sheets.

Also, they may not be as clean or sanitary since they are kept in the dispenser where it might be dirty and bacteria might be. I broke out after using them but wasn't sure if it was due to the home made oil sheets or something else.

While I won't do it, but I can't help to think that the circular part is just perfect for the whole face... like those facial mask.

For those that may want to buy their blotting paper, the ELF blotting paper work fine enough and is cheap. $1.00 for 50 sheets. http://www.eyeslipsface.com/elfshop/produc...id=&kit_rec_id=

buy like a ton and you still save a lot even with shipping.

I also have the Boscia paper http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH

which is for all intents and purposes is identical to the ELF paper but cost a lot more... tho each of their sheet is almost 140% of the elf sheet and make it easier to use.

The cleaan and clear sheet I don't care for and as mentioned, it is way too expensive.

I'd think if you use a brand new, unopened pack, then I'd be surprised if there's a chance of bacterial contamination. However I've been wrong before and frequently am, and I'm sorry to hear that those may have contributed to breakouts.

Nice job thinking of it tho :)

and personally, I've actually found they work even better than the miniscule blue squares that you use from Clean n Clear. This is just my preference tho and may not be the same for others.

anika,

those clarity papers sound great....I wonder why they don't sell things like that in my stores....perhaps Clean N Clear has some stupid monopoly on the oil blotting papers bc their high prices wouldn't stand a chance against the product you're using. I'm not sure how stores pick the products to have on shelves....but maybe they'd rather have one expensive one that everyone buys ( high margin ) compared to dirt cheap alternatives (which may offer minimal marginal revenue).

someone else mentioned that tissue paper would work just as well and altho I haven't tried that, perhaps that would be better for some. I never really thought about bacterial contaminiation but I guess inside a bathroom, even unopened packs might be susceptible...they're housed in cardboard boxes with perforated edges, not sealed airtight or anything..

good idea Jess! And what a creative thing!

Someone also posted recently in the CSR forum about using those little papers that you use when giving someone a perm! The little papers you use to roll the hair with, ya know?

and also cigarette rolling papers.

I think they are all made out of the same thing.

Hey guys, I have no idea if anyone will like this or not, but if you want to make your own oil blotting papers this is how I do it in < 5 min for free and yes I'm ready for the "EWW" flaming as a broke student I need all the help I can get lol. Clean n Clear oil blotting papers cost $5.99 plus tax for a pack of fifty 3" x 2" blue rectangles. I used to go through a pack in 3 days :hand:

This is totally sanitary since you use an unopened pack. If you've never tried using one for blotting your oil, the next time you see toilet seat covers just try one of them out for that purpose (if you have oily skin) and I think you'll be tres impressed.

• 1 pair sharp scissors (the larger the better)
  • 1 pack of toilet seat cover
  • ziploc bags
OK... you know those toilet seat covers you can find in lots of public restrooms...

April2006355.jpg

Obtain a new pack. It's best to ask someone who works in the building if you can have it.

Over 250 sheets like this to one pack.

You can cut the pack in three different places to make rectangles that unfold vertically to double in size.

You can easily make over 1000 oil blotting sheets about 3" x 4" when folded in half, and 3" x 8" when unfolded. They last forevor and you can keep them in ziploc bags or in the ripped out the pages of a mini photo album or whatever works for you.

This is about a third of one pack, maybe a little less.

April2006347.jpg

Place it unfolded like this:

April2006350.jpg

This is how I cut the sheets using one sheet as an example. I cut both corners like this:

April2006362.jpg

You can cut a third one in the middle:

April2006369.jpg

Experiment with different sizes until you can cut a decent amount of sheets in a straight line (hence the large scissors :) )

April2006370.jpg

My skin doesn't get so oily anymore but I wanted to post in case anyone might find it beneficial somehow....

Someone else told me about that. I didn't believe it but I'm def going to try it now