Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am really thankful to the threads on this site about Spiro. I am going to start it in a day or two. However, I have a few remaining q's I was wondering if you could all help me with.

To start, here is my history: my skin is practically flawless the first 2 weeks of the month. On the third week (week before my period), like clockwork, I start breaking out. This lasts for 2 weeks. My skin is oily, and I have a lot of these little white bumps under my skin, and I usually break out on my jawline/chin, cheeks beside my nose, and blackheads on my forehead which you can't really see. The teeny white bumps didn't exist until I started birth control (a few types). I ended up on Yasmin, loved it, was on it for 8-9 months and my skin got increasingly worse every 3rd week of the month. However, I dont know if it had anything to do with the pill or if its just my skin. My diet wasn't great either and I was stressed. Either way, Im off the pill now.

In college (20 years old), I starting having some rough breakouts so I went to a derm and he put me on doxycycline (Doryx). It was a miracle...for a year and a half until I became immune. Since then, nothing has helped and its slowly gotten problematic again. No one would think I have acne,but I hate my complexion,and during my worst breakout (while on Yasmin) the derm even suggested Accutane which scared me!!

anyway, Im going to give Spiro a try. I went on the pill to help with my really bad periods (horrible cramps, bloating, etc.) I loved it for that, but I dont want to go back on another pill because of what it might do to my skin.

1-Can I take Spiro without the pill- will it mess up my cycle drastically to the point where I'll be miserable? Also,if you go on a pill and Spiro at the same time, how can you tell what is working?

2- Did anyone come out with worse results on Spiro than going into it? My skin isn't great right now, and I hate the white bumps under my skin everywhere because Im so tempted to pick and thats not good...but Im afraid to mess it up even more...I dont want scarring.

Any other info would be great as well- thanks!

I am still investigating the drug myself but I do know that most likely it will mess up your periods if you don't take bc pills with it. Who is prescribing it for you? According to Geoffrey Redmond, The Hormone Doctor, he says spiro works best in conjunction with Yasmin or another pill of your choice because it is specifically a testosterone blocker. My problem is getting a doctor to prescribe it in the first place or finding one that believes it helps. I am ready to fly to New York City to see Dr. Redmond myself (with daughter).

I am still investigating the drug myself but I do know that most likely it will mess up your periods if you don't take bc pills with it. Who is prescribing it for you? According to Geoffrey Redmond, The Hormone Doctor, he says spiro works best in conjunction with Yasmin or another pill of your choice because it is specifically a testosterone blocker. My problem is getting a doctor to prescribe it in the first place or finding one that believes it helps. I am ready to fly to New York City to see Dr. Redmond myself (with daughter).

I live in NYC- I didnt know that that Dr. lives here as well. Im surprised no doctor will prescribe it- my derm here in Tribeca offered to prescribe it for me in the past, but he kept prescribing antibiotics as a 'preliminary' intervention to try first, which did nothing for me. I got sick of it, so I stopped going to him. My dad prescribed me the Spiro- hes a doctor, so Im sort of going into it on my own...

1-Can I take Spiro without the pill- will it mess up my cycle drastically to the point where I'll be miserable? Also,if you go on a pill and Spiro at the same time, how can you tell what is working?

2- Did anyone come out with worse results on Spiro than going into it? My skin isn't great right now, and I hate the white bumps under my skin everywhere because Im so tempted to pick and thats not good...but Im afraid to mess it up even more...I dont want scarring.

Any other info would be great as well- thanks!

1- Some people can, some people can't. My periods actually became more regular and less painful for the first 6 months I was on it at 100mg. When I was upped to 200mg, my periods stopped completely, so I did need to go on birth control to have a period. I think if you already have irregular periods, you should definitely consider birth control. There's no way to tell if the spiro is working if you're on birth control. Spiro is known to decrease oil production, so I'd say if you notice a decrease, that's your best call.

2- My skin came out a LOT better on spiro. It didn't cure my acne, that's for sure...but I used to get very large inflammed nodules and cysts, 2 or 3 at any given time. Now it still happens, but not nearly to the severity or frequency as before. The best thing is that I don't have to tissue off oil 800 times a day.

Hope this helps :)

I have been taking 200 mg of Aldactone (the non-generic name... I take the generic, but the other name is too long and I can't spell it) since October 2005. I take Yasmin with it as well though (since October 2003), but I never had irregular periods ever... I don't see why it would cause irregular periods, but maybe it can, who knows. And I am still on Aldactone and my skin is practically perfect especially compared to 2 or 3 new whiteheads coming up every single morning. But I also have PCOS, so that may be why it worked so great with me and because I am on a very high dose. I have come to find so far that I'm the only one on this board who's on 200 mg. My hormones must be pretty messed up.

Hey there. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I'm currently on Yasmin for my oil problems. When my gyno prescribed it to me, she recommended taking all active pills, without ever taking a placebo pill, which would keep my hormone levels consistent, up the anti-androgen effects of Yasmin, and, in the end, keep me from breaking out.

The reason you break out in the third week of active pills (the week before the placebo week) is because during your placebo week every month, your hormone levels drop and comedoes form under your skin. A comedo takes about 3 weeks to become a zit, which is why you break out the week before your period. I have reason to believe that if you took straight active pills, no placebo pills, that you would have crystal clear skin. And you'd have the added bonus of never having a period.

I've been taking straight active pills for about four months now, and I love it. My oil production has decreased dramatically, my hormones have been very level, and I feel more like myself than I have in a while. There are no harmful side effects to taking only active pills on BCPs. Aside from the extra cost, I've only experienced great things.

Perhaps if you got back on Yasmin, took only active pills, and also took spiro, you'd see amazing results.

Good luck!

Hey there. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

I'm currently on Yasmin for my oil problems. When my gyno prescribed it to me, she recommended taking all active pills, without ever taking a placebo pill, which would keep my hormone levels consistent, up the anti-androgen effects of Yasmin, and, in the end, keep me from breaking out.

The reason you break out in the third week of active pills (the week before the placebo week) is because during your placebo week every month, your hormone levels drop and comedoes form under your skin. A comedo takes about 3 weeks to become a zit, which is why you break out the week before your period. I have reason to believe that if you took straight active pills, no placebo pills, that you would have crystal clear skin. And you'd have the added bonus of never having a period.

I've been taking straight active pills for about four months now, and I love it. My oil production has decreased dramatically, my hormones have been very level, and I feel more like myself than I have in a while. There are no harmful side effects to taking only active pills on BCPs. Aside from the extra cost, I've only experienced great things.

Perhaps if you got back on Yasmin, took only active pills, and also took spiro, you'd see amazing results.

Good luck!

Where did you find this awesome gyno? Our endocrinologist thinks you have to have periods to stay healthy but I agree with you.

Makochan,

Don't worry- I am on 200mg too! Yay to screwed up hormones. Goaway, I got great results. Give it a shot.

Makochan,

Don't worry- I am on 200mg too! Yay to screwed up hormones. Goaway, I got great results. Give it a shot.

Wow, thanks everyone for your replies. I JUST popped my first Spiro pill of 100 mg, and Im excited but im trying not to get too pumped in case it is a failure like a lot of other things. THe only thing that has ever worked for me was Doryx, 100 mg, and it worked for almost 2 years- havent had clearer skin since I was a kid. My mom today was commenting on how my skin looks better (Ive been off Yasmin for about a month now) but Im still not happy...I want to be able to go without makeup the whole month, not just for a week and a half of the month. I really hope this helps. Im not taking it with the b.c. pill right now, but we'll see how it goes re: period irregularity and overall effectiveness for acne. My periods were never exactly irregular, but they did come every 3 weeks before birth control and they were the WORST. I would curl up in a ball and cry. So...I might miss the pill for that reason.

Anyway, did anyone have an initial breakout? If so, what was that like? Im scared it will make my skin worse, or not work at all...:(

I like having my period once a month. Makes me believe I'm not magically pregnant or something and you can get some break through bleeding with taking active pills a few months in a row. So I'd rather just stick to having a period every month, because my body already did before I was on birth control anyway (which is strange because I have PCOS and most people have irregular periods with PCOS). Plus, I'd figure it would make the period be lighter than having it wait 3 months to start, but that's my opinion and I could be easily wrong about that. But it is nice to see someone else on 200 mg here! Wooooo. Lol.

And I first started Aldactone the first year I was on Yasmin, at a very low dose and it didn't help me. I saw my gyne at the time for my check-up and she said that Aldactone may take a few months to start working in my system and it would possibly cause an initial break out. I was just so badly broken out at the time that I had no initial break out and about a year after that instead of like 50 or 75 mg, I take 200 mg and I had no break out, just nice calm skin. And as much as my skin isn't horrible now, I still like to wear make-up. I still have a few red marks laying around and I like the way it makes my skin look. I never really had trouble with not wanting to wear make-up, except when I had to spent 45 minutes doing it because I had to conceal so much. Now it takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to apply my make-up. It's so nice.

How do you all feel about taking spiro if all hormone tests are coming out normal? I just heard back from Dr. Geoffrey Redmond and he has invited me to come see him in NYC. A little drastic as I am in the LA area but might still do it. He said he has treated over 1000 women for acne in this manner with good response. He said that every once in a while he gets a non-responder as is true of any medical procedure.

I would still try it if my hormonal tests are normal. Why not try it? Especially if your acne isn't responding to anything else, I'd figure it'd be worth a shot. My hormones should have been normal by the time I had started taking Aldactone, but no. I think you can still have a hormonal acne without a hormonal imbalance in the blood, but that's my opinion.

i dont know if hormone tests really mean much...I could be wrong though. I say this because my dad is an OB/GYN and told me that hormones are constantly fluctuating/all over the place, so any test that you take at one instance won't necessarily show the same results at another. ?? Who knows though because I feel as though my hormones are messed up, why else would I have this problem.

So I took my 2nd pill today. Dont see any difference yet! (haha). I think I have these unrealistic expectations of it magically changing my skin overnight, which I know wont happen. But Im not having to pee more or anything like I thought I would.

How long did it take all of you to start noticing a difference?

Yes, that was my point too. Hormones are always changing, so you can still have a hormonal imbalance and not really know it, I guess. A doctor though would obviously have the last say. And as I said, it took me two weeks to improve. I don't know if anyone else has ever been as lucky, but it is probably unrealistic to think that most will be cleared in 2 weeks.

Hey spiro poppers!

I too have been taking spiro for 20 days: 50mg the first 10days, then 100mg these past 10 days. I plan to stay on 100mg for a few months in conjunction with Ortho-Cyclen to see how it goes. I've been on it for about 20 days in all and have been experiencing the expected dry mouth and fatigue. But, what really worries me is this anxiety I have been feeling lately. It could just be stress that I am currently going through about life. I've had anxiety issues before taking spiro as well, but it went away for a while only to return. I'm trying to figure out if spiro is to blame, or the BCP, or life in general! AHHHHH! :wacko:

Have any of you experienced anxiety or moodiness as a result of taking spiro? Is that even a side effect? I really hope that its not this med; I've been really counting on it so that I can terminate my use of Duac (antibiotic) in the future. I've also been taking it only for 20 days. Isn't it too soon for a drug to change my chemistry like that?

What do you guys think?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Please respond! :pray::pray:

I have low blood pressure, normal for me is about 88/62. I could not take spiro as it was lowering my sodium levels too much and I had some nasty side effects like swelling up, and I could not take a high enough doses to get rid of the acne (most I could take was 50/day). I can take the stuff they make spironolactone from, saw palmetto. I take the liquid form of that, 1500 mgs in the am, same in the pm, and that has worked without the side effects or the electrolyte imbalance.

Ugh...I got my period last night and woke up today with like 3-4 more zits, 2-3 of them being huge (but somewhat unnoticeable). I am so frustrated. I hope this stuff works for me, and if it will, that it will start kicking in soon. I am thinking of going back on Yasmin- I cant tell if it made a huge difference in my skin but Im thinking that it may be worse now that Im off it- Im not sure.

I am at the end of my rope! I cant get over how I can go from pretty much crystal-clear skin for 2 weeks to a massive eruption during the week before my period. :mad: Its starting to seem impossible- that this is just the way it will be...

I have low blood pressure, normal for me is about 88/62. I could not take spiro as it was lowering my sodium levels too much and I had some nasty side effects like swelling up, and I could not take a high enough doses to get rid of the acne (most I could take was 50/day). I can take the stuff they make spironolactone from, saw palmetto. I take the liquid form of that, 1500 mgs in the am, same in the pm, and that has worked without the side effects or the electrolyte imbalance.

Are you on a BC pill also? HOw does it taste?

Hmmm interesting. I noticed today that the oil on my face seems to have gone down a little. I took my third pill today. Is that possible, or is it like the placebo effect where im expecting it to happen so I 'see' it..? I dont want to get too excited here. Of course, its done nothing for the breakouts, but then again its the 3rd day, so I may have to give it until my next period to see if it does anything. Just curious as to your thoughts on this.

Well today its still the same thing- I took another pill and it is actually pretty amazing that I dont feel oily. Usually at this time I look really oily but instead my skin is really soft- Im not used to this! (not including my sweat- its so hot outside, so sometimes I mistake that for oil).

Anyway, I had one new zit today and that was it, and it was at the surface, so its gone now. I noticed about an hour ago that all the scabs/red marks from my huge breakout this past 2 weeks prior to my period are starting to dry up and flake off! Is that normal? Its still leaving light red marks behind but htats fine, those usually only last a week or two for me. I just cant get over how everything seems to be drying up. Its only my 4th day...is this just a fluke?

It is giving me stomach problems though...I will spare you all the details :rolleyes: I just hope that tapers off soon- its not so bad but a little annoying I guess. Anyone else find themselves more bloated and with an irritable stomach on Spiro?

I think it's working for ya. Hope the tummy thing goes away cause I think it's going to be good for you. When I found my hormonal cure (30 years ago) I started to clear immediately. Good luck

I just cant get over how everything seems to be drying up. Its only my 4th day...is this just a fluke?

It is giving me stomach problems though...I will spare you all the details :rolleyes: I just hope that tapers off soon- its not so bad but a little annoying I guess. Anyone else find themselves more bloated and with an irritable stomach on Spiro?

Hi There!

Here's my rountine with Spiro...

I take 100mg once a day...(always at the same time of the day) usually after breakfast.

It seems to work better on a full stomach.

(unless yours doesn't get upset easily...you can take it without food too!)

Didn't have an inital breakout or any side effects.

It is not a fluke you are seeing...my skin started to change in almost 3 days!

Oil was reduced but almost 90%! I have had a few minor

breakouts...but my skin is soooo much better than before.

I have been on it since Dec 13/04...

I had my first slight blemish in months yesterday...

it was better by this morning when I woke up.

I really recommend Spiro to anyone that has problems with their skin that some birth control won't help...

It has really been a miracle drug for me!

I do notice that when I am out in the sun, when I do tan...my skin becomes uneven...

kinda like what they call a pregnancy mask (darker spots around the

sides of the face)...I think that has a lot to do with

taking birth control too!

I am not sure if taking Spiro is making it better or worse...

You should make sure you drink a lot of water as this pill will dehydrate you!

Take it in the morning so it won't keep you up peeing all night...and cut

back on salt and Bananas! too much potasium in banannas and the Spiro pill

can do damage to your liver.

I am more bloated since taking it...but drinking lots of water will help with that!

Do a google search on Spironolactone and it will tell

you more side effects that may happen.

that's all I can think of right now...

good luck!

Thanks so much Holly for that detailed response. Im so glad if it is working that its starting now! I didnt want to get my hopes up and I'll try not to.

Anyway now I have to focus on getting rid of the scabs/red crusty spots from the very recent breakout I had. Ugh. As long as the oil stays down, Im pretty pumped... :dance:

So I took my daughter to the derm today and low and behold he is familiar with spiro. So he told her to start off by taking Yasmin and then if it is not better in one month he gave her a prescription to take 25 mgs of spiro along with the Yasmin. This seems like a good place to start. He is also keeping her on Doryx. I will update with her progress. He did say that he is alarmed by the level of scarring that she has. That made me break out in a cold sweat. :unsure: I hope the scars are not permanent