Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

I just had acne scar revision by subcision two days ago. My dermatologist was very aggressive and worked on virtually all my acne scars -- I have box scars on my forehead (chicken pox), both my temples (teen acne that persisted, I'm now 38), and ice pick scars on both cheeks. My face was actually clear and even-toned (of course with acne scars, but no acne) before I had the subcision, but I have waited a long time to do this. I considered laser resurfacing and dermabrasion, but my doctor advised me that subcision will help fill in the pitted scars. I will have a series of microdermabrasion sessions after a month when my face would have healed already.

I'm quite happy about the procedure, but I look really bad now --- needle punctures all over my face, red, black and blue welts, with hundreds of tiny red scabs that I hope will fall off in a week. My doctor advised me to resume .05% Tretinoin at night, and I can wash my face again with Cetaphil mornings and evenings.

This site and everyone's posts have been quite helpful in suggesting other post-operative care. Could anyone advise me of diet, vitamins, etc.? I was also using Paula's Choice 2% beta hydroxy acid gel before the subcision, and it also helped clear my skin. Should I resume that as well in conjunction with Tretinoin? I don't want to second-guess my doctor and suggest other treatments lest she begins to think how obsessive I have become about my acne scars. Thanks.

Posted

Hi Mayfield -

I had 3 rounds of subscisions with fillers. I found that boosting my intake of vitamin c to about 6 grams a day (I like capsules and not tablets) helped promote healing. Also - I used an Arnica Montana cream made by Borion and applied it to the bruised areas several times per day and also at night. It did wonders in quickly reducing the bruising and swelling.

Dan

By the way, I bought the Arnica Montana cream at a health food store.

Dan

Posted

i agree with dan, Mayfield. Arnica works wonders at bringing up bruising faster, so you get it over and done with at an excellerated rate.

Vitamin wise i ALWAYS take 1000mg of vit c a day. I buy effervesent tablets and plonk it in water first thing in the morning. Its really refreshing. Other vits i take are not so much for skin as for just gen wellbeing which includes a chelated time-released multi-vitamin.

Gl in your healing!

Posted

i agree with dan, Mayfield. Arnica works wonders at bringing up bruising faster, so you get it over and done with at an excellerated rate.

Vitamin wise i ALWAYS take 1000mg of vit c a day. I buy effervesent tablets and plonk it in water first thing in the morning. Its really refreshing. Other vits i take are not so much for skin as for just gen wellbeing which includes a chelated time-released multi-vitamin.

Gl in your healing!

I just did my second round of subsiscion followed by a filler. I was so impressed with my first round where i tested two scars both near upper cheekbone which were deep, and they came out great, not perfect but a hell of alot better. This second time around it was no holds barred as i got about 9 or ten scars done again followed by a filler. I must say half of them came out great the other half had little improvement. I just recently started to up vitamin c and put vitamin k directly on bruises. I only have two bruises left which are fading quickly but it has taken 11days. I i will continue to have subsiscion done to needle the scars once the fillers fade and repeat again. This alone i believe does help promote healing. Dan you mentioned you had it done three times. Do you find the scars respond better or worse. So far I am very happy with this procedure as thier is little downtime with the possibility of a huge upside.

Posted

I just had acne scar revision by subcision two days ago. My dermatologist was very aggressive and worked on virtually all my acne scars -- I have box scars on my forehead (chicken pox), both my temples (teen acne that persisted, I'm now 38), and ice pick scars on both cheeks. My face was actually clear and even-toned (of course with acne scars, but no acne) before I had the subcision, but I have waited a long time to do this. I considered laser resurfacing and dermabrasion, but my doctor advised me that subcision will help fill in the pitted scars. I will have a series of microdermabrasion sessions after a month when my face would have healed already.

I'm quite happy about the procedure, but I look really bad now --- needle punctures all over my face, red, black and blue welts, with hundreds of tiny red scabs that I hope will fall off in a week. My doctor advised me to resume .05% Tretinoin at night, and I can wash my face again with Cetaphil mornings and evenings.

This site and everyone's posts have been quite helpful in suggesting other post-operative care. Could anyone advise me of diet, vitamins, etc.? I was also using Paula's Choice 2% beta hydroxy acid gel before the subcision, and it also helped clear my skin. Should I resume that as well in conjunction with Tretinoin? I don't want to second-guess my doctor and suggest other treatments lest she begins to think how obsessive I have become about my acne scars. Thanks.

Mayfield,

I have major scars all over my face. It is my own fault due to picking them by trying to the junk out. I've convinced myself they will heel faster if I get the junk out of them but of course they will leave a nice little scar where the poor was clogged. I never had a problem when I was younger but as an adult I have diagnosed with acne. I have been battling with cystic acne for three years now and am convinced that once you get it, you are proned to it and they just return. I have them in one centralized area for three years now and am totally sick of it. Of course the more one picks the more they spread. Best just left alone!!! I have refused to pick them on my nose because it always leaves a deeeeeeep pit. Anyway, more than you wanted to know.

My question is this: Approximately how much did your derm charge you for the service? I have been to four derms, three of which said these cysts were warts (but warts will have a black dot in the middle of them) and these are white. The last derm said they were subcutaneous cysts. She prescribed Tazorac which was working wonderfuly (she gave me samples) but my insurance has denied the prescription. It costs $110 for a tube. I wouldn't mind spending that but I also want to address the scar issue. She also perscribed dermabrasion for just my chin for eight treatments which did absolutely nothing and charged $50 just for the chin. My chin just looked so clean afterward but the next morning the glow was gone. Also I found it depends on the person doing it. One did an excellent job going over and over the skin and the other didn't use the foot pedal which dispersed more of the granules that does the job. Could you give me an insight as to the cost?

Thanks,

Posted

Hi Mayfield -

I had 3 rounds of subscisions with fillers. I found that boosting my intake of vitamin c to about 6 grams a day (I like capsules and not tablets) helped promote healing. Also - I used an Arnica Montana cream made by Borion and applied it to the bruised areas several times per day and also at night. It did wonders in quickly reducing the bruising and swelling.

Dan

By the way, I bought the Arnica Montana cream at a health food store.

Dan

Thanks for your advice, Dan. I will look into that Arnica Montana cream. You're right about the Vit C, I started taking 500 mg of Ascorbic acid as well as a multivitamin supplement, and it looks like it's doing well. Even my husband is impressed -- he sees improvement in as little as just three days. I hope to hear from you again soon. God bless

Gl in your healing!

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the encouragement. I'll up my Vit C to 1000 mg.

Gl in your healing!

I just did my second round of subsiscion followed by a filler. I was so impressed with my first round where i tested two scars both near upper cheekbone which were deep, and they came out great, not perfect but a hell of alot better. This second time around it was no holds barred as i got about 9 or ten scars done again followed by a filler. I must say half of them came out great the other half had little improvement. I just recently started to up vitamin c and put vitamin k directly on bruises. I only have two bruises left which are fading quickly but it has taken 11days. I i will continue to have subsiscion done to needle the scars once the fillers fade and repeat again. This alone i believe does help promote healing. Dan you mentioned you had it done three times. Do you find the scars respond better or worse. So far I am very happy with this procedure as thier is little downtime with the possibility of a huge upside.

I cannot believe that something so simple as subcision can solve thirty years of depression and frustration. I never felt happier. I look like a mess three days after my procedure, but I am so happy I did it. Any kind of improvement is ok with me.

Posted

Mayfield,

I have major scars all over my face. It is my own fault due to picking them by trying to the junk out. I've convinced myself they will heel faster if I get the junk out of them but of course they will leave a nice little scar where the poor was clogged. I never had a problem when I was younger but as an adult I have diagnosed with acne. I have been battling with cystic acne for three years now and am convinced that once you get it, you are proned to it and they just return. I have them in one centralized area for three years now and am totally sick of it. Of course the more one picks the more they spread. Best just left alone!!! I have refused to pick them on my nose because it always leaves a deeeeeeep pit. Anyway, more than you wanted to know.

My question is this: Approximately how much did your derm charge you for the service? I have been to four derms, three of which said these cysts were warts (but warts will have a black dot in the middle of them) and these are white. The last derm said they were subcutaneous cysts. She prescribed Tazorac which was working wonderfuly (she gave me samples) but my insurance has denied the prescription. It costs $110 for a tube. I wouldn't mind spending that but I also want to address the scar issue. She also perscribed dermabrasion for just my chin for eight treatments which did absolutely nothing and charged $50 just for the chin. My chin just looked so clean afterward but the next morning the glow was gone. Also I found it depends on the person doing it. One did an excellent job going over and over the skin and the other didn't use the foot pedal which dispersed more of the granules that does the job. Could you give me an insight as to the cost?

Thanks,

Hi Wenc3160, I also had my share of picking acne --- I've been to lots of dermatologists in my teen years, most experimented on my face, I've picked my face as well out of frustration. The scars are not just physical but emotional as well.

In looking for a dermatologist, faith in his or her capabilities is extremely important. I've been to several, and a good number of them were either hesitant, evasive, just pushing for the more expensive procedure, or didn't care. Somehow, it's almost like looking for a therapist who understands your needs and is sympathetic to your cause. I was lucky so far, because my dermatologist is young, enthusiastic, and understands how important it was for me to do something about my acne scars.

I'm not sure about the derm services you were referring to because my face was already clear of acne and was quite ok except for the acne scars, but for the subcision procedure, my doctor charged me around $500. She must have worked on around 70-90 scars. I was told that this price is a steal. I may have negotiated a good price because she became a good friend. Also, I live in the Philippines --- we have excellent and extremely affordable world-class doctors.

Hope I was of help in anyway. Good luck and don't lose hope. I'm sure you'll find the right doctor who can help you.

Posted

Hi Italguy -

I had subscisions done three times, once with a fat transfer filler (he couldn't get enough fat out of me) and two rounds of subscisions with fascian filler. I found that each round of subscisions brought additional improvement and I am really glad that I had it done. The skin on my cheeks was basically bound down and the subscisions released the skin and allowed the cheeks to puff out more naturally. I have noticed in photos that my cheeks look fuller and plumper whereas before they looked somewhat sunken. None of the scars looked worse and I did get noticable improvement. I now have some residual rolling scars and some smaller scars that will respond to filler. I am now contemplating what type of filler to use; permanent or temporary. As I mentioned to Mayfield, I heard about the arnica montana cream on my third round, tried it and noticed a substantial improvment in the fading of the bruises while using the cream.

Glad to hear that the subscisions worked so well and keep me up to date on your improvement.

Dan