Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ashcash

To Tane or Not to Tane...

Alright, I have suffered from acne since the young age of 11 and it has only gotten worse as the time as gone on. I am now 20 years old and not only have a pizza face but now I have pretty severe scarring.

I recently had my first appointment with a derm. and he immediately thru the Accutane(40mg) method at me. At first I was excited, I had heard about it and seen some of the outcome it had on other people.

Now, knowing the mild to severe side affects of it, I'm nervous and unsure whether I should go on it or not. I have no doubt that it will work for me but I'm also worried that I am only 20. What happens if I get pregnant (down the road, after accutane) and my hormones go all out of wack again and my acne reappears? Then I hve wasted more time and money and put my health at risk for no reason.

Another concern I have is the long term affects of the drug. They say most of the side affects go away when you are done your treatment, but what abotu down the road? Will my liver suffer?

I've heard many horror stories about people suing because of the damage Accutane can do..and I'll admit, Im scared!! :cry:

Maybe I'm just over thinking the whole thing because I truely believe that Accutane works. I just need to speak to some people that have had success without the harmful affects to tell me it will all be ok!! lol

Please give me some advice!! I would appreciate negative and positive feedback!!

Thank you sooo much!!

:think:

accutane has acute sideffects that usually go away and potentially chronic, latent sideffects, mimicing those of hypervitamonis A, that may be irrevisible, the most common being muscoskeletal problems.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

whether u would be hit with these chronic sideffects depends on

1.dosage

2.duration of treatment

3.unknown genetic factors

if u think acne is controling ur life then go ahead, but discuss it with ur doctor throughly, and ask him specifically about all sideffects associated with accutane ( look up the medication guide on FDA website).

i took accutane at 40,40,80,80,120 ( i was about 60 kg). i was fine till about 4 months post accutane. suddenly i got hit with severe joint pain and dry-everything. after 1 year i was diagnosed with DISH ( diffuse idiopathic systematic hyperostosis), a condition where basically ur ligments and cartilage calcifies, and it has been linked with accutane. when i went back to my doctor he told me "i warned u about the potential sideffects" even though permanent fucked-up joints was definitly not a condition we discussed. so make sure u read the med guide off FDA website before going to ur doctor. go there informed

Guest Kaelynd

accutane has acute sideffects that usually go away and potentially chronic, latent sideffects, mimicing those of hypervitamonis A, that may be irrevisible, the most common being muscoskeletal problems.

1.dosage

2.duration of treatment

if u think acne is controling ur life then go ahead, but discuss it with ur doctor throughly, and ask him specifically about all sideffects associated with accutane ( look up the medication guide on FDA website).

i took accutane at 40,40,80,80,120 ( i was about 60 kg). i was fine till about 4 months post accutane. suddenly i got hit with severe joint pain and dry-everything. after 1 year i was diagnosed with DISH ( diffuse idiopathic systematic hyperostosis), a condition where basically ur ligments and cartilage calcifies, and it has been linked with accutane. when i went back to my doctor he told me "i warned u about the potential sideffects" even though permanent fucked-up joints was definitly not a condition we discussed. so make sure u read the med guide off FDA website before going to ur doctor. go there informed

I was going to come into this thread and be like GO ON IT, but now that i read this I'm kindof scared for myself.

I have extremeeelly bad joint pain. I'm about 2 months into accutane.

If they continue after I'm done. I dont even know how I'll be able to live with it. It is like EXTREME pain even just walking or standing. Well I have a derm appointment wednesday so I'll discuss it with him

1.dosage

2.duration of treatment

Wow...That's scary!! Acne has been in control of my life since I was 11, now I am 20 and everyone keeps saying I will grow out of it...I'm just wondering if getting rid of my acne in perhaps a shorter period is worth that sort of health risk. My job is very physically demanding..I couldn't afford something like that happening to me.

Did you sue? I've read a lot about people suing their doctors and such because they weren't informed of all possible side affects long and short term..

But thats the thing that scares me...Noone knows the long term affects..at least I cant find any information.

I guess everyones body reacts to medications differently..so there is no sure tell way to know if it will happen to you.

Thank you very much for your reply..and I wish you all the best with your disease. It's a shame that jsut when we fix one thing ..something else has to go wrong! But thanks again for sharing!! I appreciate it!!

*ash

1.dosage

2.duration of treatment

I was going to come into this thread and be like GO ON IT, but now that i read this I'm kindof scared for myself.

I have extremeeelly bad joint pain. I'm about 2 months into accutane.

If they continue after I'm done. I dont even know how I'll be able to live with it. It is like EXTREME pain even just walking or standing. Well I have a derm appointment wednesday so I'll discuss it with him

Yea, the website its informative as well. I hope everything turns out okay!! Maybe you should stop taking them in the mean time?!?!!? I'm not on it so I'm not preeching!! lol

anyways take care and please let us know what the derm says!!

*aSh

Been on 3 courses in the last 11 years, going for #4. No lasting side effects

at all. Most side affects clear when treatment stops.

I experienced some hair thinning (which returned) some heel pain (resolved)

and dry lips. I did get the side effect of clear skin which in the first treatment lasted 10 years,

I am hoping that my next treatment will give me another 10 years

Educate yourself and be OK with your decision either way. Only you can

weigh this and if it's worth it- go for it.

Maj

accutane is a gamble, with three involved factors:

1. duration

2. dosage

3. high physical activity ( especially contact sports) while on accutane

3. UNKNOWN GENETIC FACTORS ( most important)

i think if u take this drug for acne, then make sure u take it based on conservative guidelines ( 14-20 weeks, 0.5-1 mg/kg/day), and dont play heavy contact sports. this alone will reduce ur chances of long-term sideffects dramatically, although it will also increase ur chances of a relapse.

what i regret the most is the fact that my doctor pushed me to such high dose, even though i was perfectly cleared by the second month. his reasoning was that "such a high dose is required in order to prevent a relapse, and ur blood work is A+". i accepted it because at the time i had not sideffects whatsoever ( except chapped lips). about 4-5 months post accutane my body came crashing down. then i went from doctor to doctor. the dermotalogist said no way accutane did this. my internalist said maybe, then finally an opthamalogist and an reumothologist (excuse the spelling) admitted that my sideffects most resemble those of hypervitaminosis A, a condition also associated with retinoid toxicity ( accutane being a retinoid). then two years after when signs of soft-tissue calcification finally showed up on x-rays, ah fuck i do feel like writing anymore :wall:

hi...

i have tried to get the damn drug banned simply becuase it ruined my life... i almost killed myself nd so did my girlfriend becuase of the stress that it gave us... i am post tane for about 3 weeks now and i am on anti depressents,anti anxiety tablets... i have to see a counseler 4 times a week. i have to see a anxiety docter 3 times a week.. this drug ruined my life so i wouldnt go on it if i were you.. i admit it did clear up my skin but i had to cease using it half way throught treatment becuase of me almost commiting suicide even on anti depressants...

i used benzac ac 5% nd differen 0.1% nd a good quality moisterizer and my skin basically cleared up in 4 days... still have extensive scarring.. if neone can help please do

thanks for you time ..david