Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well I was clear for awhile..but..looks like I'm back. I'm gonna take care of this before it gets out of hand again. For some reason my skin is slowly getting bad. I have lots of clogged pores and now some of them are becoming inflamed. So back to Retin-A, this time for good....but bye bye tan oh well...id rather have clear skin. My red marks were finally almost all gone from my last breakout too...dang it. Maybe it's the tetracycline wearing off

Routine

Morning: Cetaphil Cleanser, Cetaphil Moisturizer

Night: Cetaphil Cleanser, Retin-A .1%

Now I have questions that I really need help with. Should I do aha souffle in the morning, or neutrogena healthy skin with spf 15 in the morning (the one with aha in it) ?

I've got a derm appointment on tuesday morning and I need help from you all. I don't know what to ask for. I know I'm gonna ask for an antibiotic. Tetracycline worked ok before. But is there a stronger antibiotic than that that I should look into(i only plan on using the antibiotic for a short period then thats it...really just to help with the ib). And what's the difference between Retin-A and Retin-A micro and should I make the switch to RaM? Or is there another retinoid that would work better? My derm will give me whatever most likely ... i just dont want accutane because I like to lift weights.

All help greatly appreciated and bless you all.

Hey there stranger, welcome back. :) How is everything?

I think you should ask your derm for Retin A Micro ... it is considered to be more effective and less irritating than the Retin A cream. Try it for a week or two before you start adding in AHAs in any form, though.

I don't have any particular recommendations on antibiotics ...

Good to hear your old red marks did clear up ... at least you know your skin heals well.

Hey there Queen! Things are going great. I was out of town for a long time with my dad. No internet access which sucked...I dont know why but I was fiending like a crack addict to get on this website. lol. Got back home like the middle of last week and I couldn't remember my log in name...i thought it was the same as my username and then today I finally remembered and was able to log in again. How have things been for you? I see your now a moderator now. thats awesome. Okay so Retin-A micro it is...I'll be asking for it on Tuesday. But I do have two tubes of Retin-A cream left. I'll probably be getting three tubes of the Retin-A micro. That's enough Retin-A to last me for at least a year or two I hope. lol.

Day 1

Well applied medicine..I have plenty of clogged pores and 4 inflamed pimples, and some small whiteheads. Hopefully Retin-A works as good this time as it did before.

Well some of my clogged pores are already coming out and just wiping off this morning. My tan looks a bit faded on my face. But that's alright. Even though I live on the beach. I still have 4 inflamed zits...all of which are pretty well inflamed. I just got 2 of them yesterday..so I must've done something to irritate my skin. This morning I cleansed with cetaphil and spot treated with neosporin. I want to go to the beach...but I'm a little worried it might make my face worse.

Sorry to hear your back because of acne :cry: Stick with the Retin A and I'm sure you'll be clear again in no time. Keep us posted.

You can go to the beach ... just wear a very high SPF sunscreen and a hat!

So what's up with you these days? Weren't you thinking about going into the armed forces?

I could do that...but not the hat thing...i surf alot. Armed forces...yeah I was gonna join but I figured since I'd have my degree in 1 more semester why not just finish up. And as dumb as this sounds...I'd really miss my girlfriend. So how is ur regimen working for you? I wanna try green cream but idk. How would you compare it to Retin-A?

Well went to the derm yesterday he gave me three tubes of renova .05...and i still have my 2 tubes of retin-a .1 ......and he gave me minocycline 50 mg to take once daily. update on my skin. well it's doing alright. clogged pores are lessening..clear yesterday...but 3 whiteheads popped up today. theyll be gone in a day or two tho. my skin is starting to get oily but flaky at the same time. it's weird.

So how is ur regimen working for you? I wanna try green cream but idk. How would you compare it to Retin-A?

GC is a whole lot milder. It actually is working better for me than Retin A at the moment ... I have been under a lot of stress and not sleeping much lately, and my skin seems to have become quite sensitive as a result. The Retin A was making my face peel and flake uncontrollably. :(

Since you've had good results with Retin A before, though, you may as well stick with it. Sounds like you have a lifetime supply on hand ..... :D

so i was wondering....should i use the renova? and whats the difference between renova and retina?

You might want to google Renova to check my facts, but here is what I believe to be true. It has the same active ingredient (tretinoin) as Retin A, but the product formulation is different. Renova is more moisturizing, and more of a "cosmeceutical" product -- it is generally prescribed as an anti-aging cream, not an anti-acne treatment.

Because the concentration of tretinoin in the Renova he gave you is only half of what's in the Retin A, and because the other ingredients are likely to buffer the tretinoin somewhat, you will find Renova less irritating but also less effective.

So it's your call, really, depending on how much irritation you are experiencing. You might try alternating nights between the two products.

Hey queen one more thing...what's a good day time moisturizer with sunblock?

How much are you willing to pay, and does it need to be available in drugstores?

I think you should ask your derm for Retin A Micro ... it is considered to be more effective and less irritating than the Retin A cream.

I was about to question you wether you made a mistake saying Retin A micro is considered more effective than Retin-A, but then I saw you mentioned Retin-A creamand in the second post of xxdancexx she mentions cream also. Cool that you remember that stuff LionQueen ;).

Anyway, being all on Differin with a positive mind set and having read good things about it, I'd also suggest you take a look into Differin. Some research reports for example say that the test persons eventually got the same positive results with Differin as with Retin-A Gel (forgot what percentage, I believe 0,0025), but that it took some more time. The advantages of Differin is that it's less irritating and drying.

For sunscreens I'd say makeupalley.com is a good place to get advise from. Here are some good links:

http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreens check this one to easily find some good options

http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreenFAQ

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic510.htm

http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatolog...il.jsp?id=50923

http://www.dermotopics.de/english/issue_1_...hutz_1_04_e.htm

I've been doing some good research about sunscreens for the past few week and I have to say that in this case I'm happy to live in Europe where the sunscreens are simply superior. Nevertheless, there are still a lot of good sunscreen options in the States, you just have to know which one out of the so many.

idk if this is the initial breakout or what...my skin is going crazy since i started retina again. i must have alot of crap under my skin. idk...but it's breaking me out with inflammatory acne right now. should i stick with it? i probably will...but this is really really discouraging

My skin looked like crap when I was using the Retin A nightly. It was destroying my skin. You really need to go slow and ramp up to it. Your skin barrier could be compromised and irritation is causing you to breakout badly?? Are using it every night? Try every other day for a while and see if it helps, if it doesn't go to one day on and two off. I know as soon as I took a break from it my skin cleared up quite a bit. Good luck :)

Sorry to hear you are having breakouts! This is the same thing that happened to me when I started using Differin every night. I started getting inflamatory breakouts on my chin. I think Bobbi's suggestion about reducing the frequency of usage to every other night is probably a good idea. I got the feeling that the breakouts I was getting on the Differin were irritation related.

Thanks for your encouragement guys. But ... Idk...I'm starting to think it's the minocycline because I've only been using it everyother night. I took the weekend off and am still getting an inflamatory breakout like everyday, this is really weird. The Retin-A never gave me an initial outbreak like this. Should I stop with the minocycline? It's only 50 mg a day. idk what to do!

I've been on several rounds of antibiotics, I don't recall them making me break out more. I think it should just clear you up. I'm sure my dosage was higher than that tho' and I was taking them twice a day.

Thanks for your encouragement guys. But ... Idk...I'm starting to think it's the minocycline because I've only been using it everyother night. I took the weekend off and am still getting an inflamatory breakout like everyday, this is really weird. The Retin-A never gave me an initial outbreak like this. Should I stop with the minocycline? It's only 50 mg a day. idk what to do!

It shouldn't be the minocycline breaking you out. Sometimes antibiotics take awhile to kick in, but they shouldn't give you an IB. They only work to reduce bacteria and inflamation. Your dosage does seem a bit on the low side, but it should at least be helping to reduce inflamation.

I would imagine that the breakouts are from the Retin-A. Even when I stopped using Differin, I continued to break out regularly for awhile. I've been off it for a few weeks now, and things are just starting to calm down.

Things are getting a little better. And when I say a little i mean the extremely little. Im gonna hang in there though because I know it'll work. I did have a lot of clogged pores but most of those are gone, now I have just zits. But they've all been gradually coming up. I think that the zits I have now used to just be clogged pores. This is just taking forever. I started using neutrogena healthy face lotion with aha and spf 15, it's helphing things along a tiny bit. Just started it a couple days ago. I'll update in a few days, I've just been really busy with the 4th of july and everything.

Lionqueen I did go through an initial breakout last time I used Retin-A but not this harsh and not this long. And the weird part is my acne was about 10 times worse last time too.

Willow I think your right it is the Retin-A.

Guys I have a question. What do you think I should do. I noticed when I use Renova instead of retin-A the next day zits are always whiteheads. Is this good or bad? Which should I use? GOSH i really wish I wuoldve stuck with the retina the first time. All my scars and redmarks from my breakout before are all gone. But now I have a whole new batch of zits and marks to deal with. Well good thing I have 3, eight month tubes of Renova and 2 tubes of Retin-A .1 %. I'm not stopping till it's ALL GONE!

hmmm my skin seems to be getting alot better almost everyday. Although from this last breakout my face has red marks EVERYWHERE the pimples are going away. I started using purpose face wash instead of cetaphil which I think has made a difference. When I run out of purpose I definitly know which face wash I'm gonna buy. It's called Neutrogena fresh foaming cleanser. It works sooooooooooooooo great on my skin for a gentle cleanser. I think it's my new favorite. I've recently introduced aha souffle into my regimen and I think it is helping my face more than the Retin-A!!! Retin-A has pretty much destroyed my face...but...I'm gonna keep with it since I have so much. I'm young...the redmarks will fade with time. But oh my jesus this aha souffle is doing wonders for my skin. It feels so smooth. anyways souffle and neutrogena fresh foaming cleanser will be in my regimen forever. lol. I think they're both that good.

Man...I have zits all over the place. This sux. They aren't huge zits anymore, but Retin-A is really hard to stick to in these first few weeks. The souffe is helping. When I use aha souffle my face gets better, then at night when I apply Retin-A...bam my face goes back to crap when I wake up the next morning. This week as an experiment for 2 nights I only used souffle...my skin got better...then I went back to retin-a at night and new zits. Should I continue with the Retin-A? Or just use the souffle?