Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheptr

is sunblock bad for acne

well summer is coming and i was wondering if using a normal sunblock could be bad for my skin?

if so can someone tell me of somthing safe to use

thanks

Lots of people here like Neutrogena Dry-Touch Sunscreens, which contain avobenzone as their UVA protecting ingredient. The UVA protecting ingredients that you will want to watch out for are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, as these can be occlusive to the pores. If you do breakout after trying a new sunscreen, don't assume it was the culprit. Pimples can take about two weeks to form.

is sunblock bad for acne

if it clogs your pores, yes

make sure the bottle says "non-comedogenic". i don't know how to say it, but i read on this site somewhere it means non-pore clogging. i found some 15 spf by hawaiian tropic.

well i personally think it doesn't make much of a difference, but then its up to ou - a good chance of having a burnt face with extra cnahce ofskin cancer etc from sun or possiblility of a few spots - but its also a moisturiser and some can have vitamin E etc in which are good for skim, if they are dermatologically tsted then they shud b fine - and most are. x

make sure the bottle says "non-comedogenic". i don't know how to say it, but i read on this site somewhere it means non-pore clogging. i found some 15 spf by hawaiian tropic.

"Non-comedogenic" and other flashy terms like "hypo-allergenic" and "dermatologically tested" are marketing term that have no regulations. Therefore, they can mean whatever a cosmetics company wants them to. Typically problematic ingredients are animal oils (although certain animal oils, like emu oil, seem to be tolerable to acneic skin, but animal oils do more closely resemble human sebum than other oils and are thus more likely to clog pores) and waxy thickeners, as these can be occlusive to the pores. Anything that is in a cream base is likely to be problematic, as creams tend to contain a large ammount of waxy thickeners to get their cream consistancy.