Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jen121

Generic forms of YASMIN..

Okay so Ive been on yasmin for about 3 months and its costing me $40 a month. I called my insurance company today and they said that yasmin has 3 forms of generic which would be $15 each month.

The names she gave me are: Reclipsen, Apri, & Solia. Has anyone heard or tried any of these. Im debating whether I should switch or just stick to the brand yasmin. Would there be a difference? Thanks!

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

From what I've found so far Solia isn't really a generic of Yasmin. It's a generic of Ortho-Cept. Also I think Apri is the same thing. Everywhere I look it says that it's another name or a representative name for Ortho-Cept. I've only found one place that said Reclipsen is a generic for Ortho-Cept so I'm not sure about that. Yasmin and Ortho-Cept are in the same class when it comes to birth control and progestin and estrogen.

Hey lady. I'm sad to be the bearer of bad news, but Yasmin doesn't have a generic form yet, because it's too new.

The three generics your doctor offered are generic forms of monophasics, such as Mircette, but do not contain drospirenone, which, as we all know, is a variant of spironolactone, the androgen blocker. DRSP is the primary reason Yasmin is prescribed for acne, and Yasmin is currently the only BCP with DRSP. Without DRSP, any BCP becomes just another form of birth control and would not be effective against acne.Here's the website that explains the other BCPs you mentioned.

If you're not on Yasmin as an acne treatment (since you're also on Accutane), it can't hurt to find a cheaper monophasic pill. However, I've heard that Yasmin is an effective way to sustain clear skin after a round of Accutane. These other monophasics wouldn't be.

Good luck!

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

Hey lady. I'm sad to be the bearer of bad news, but Yasmin doesn't have a generic form yet, because it's too new.

The three generics your doctor offered are generic forms of monophasics, such as Mircette, but do not contain drospirenone, which, as we all know, is a variant of spironolactone, the androgen blocker. DRSP is the primary reason Yasmin is prescribed for acne, and Yasmin is currently the only BCP with DRSP. Without DRSP, any BCP becomes just another form of birth control and would not be effective against acne.Here's the website that explains the other BCPs you mentioned.

If you're not on Yasmin as an acne treatment (since you're also on Accutane), it can't hurt to find a cheaper monophasic pill. However, I've heard that Yasmin is an effective way to sustain clear skin after a round of Accutane. These other monophasics wouldn't be.

Good luck!

Where on earth did you find the website cause I couldn't find much on them.

Because it fights acne is the only reason I asked for it in the first place.

Jen121 have you looked around at prices for yasmin. You might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else. I just realized this post sounds really fragmented and choppy.

WOW, I don't want to take those if they are not generic of Yasmin. I am planning on staying on this BC for maintence after accutane and for acne reasons not for pregnancy. I guess I better not switch then.

I don't know where to look for cheaper prices. Any suggestions? My old gyno (retired) used to help me out by giving me about 6 samples for the year and that way Id only have to pay for half the price. My new gyno doesn't seem so understanding :doubt: If it takes the $25 extra dollars per month to maintain clear skin (i know my acne is hormonal) then I guess ill have to figure a way to pay for it. If any of you have ideas or suggestions to find it cheaper, I would be interested. Thanks so much :)

Guest FearlessBunnyLove

I've heard that Walmart and Costco have cheaper prices. I saw somewhere that one woman paid $40 without insurance but it was $27 at costco. It's not supercheap but it's definetely better. Go around to different pharmacies and ask about prices. It's at least worth a try.