Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
har

What happens if you stop applying bp after acne clears?

So I'm new here and I'm just curious about overly dependent on bp. Say if you've been on the bp regimen for a long time (4, 5, 6 months?) and your acne has cleared with maybe occasional outbreaks of small acnes. Has anyone stopped there and stopped applying (or maybe gradually decreasing the amount of bp applied) bp? Because after reading jan carlo's opinion about not using any medication and cleansers, I cannot stop questioning about the fact that maybe we're the ones that are damaging our own skin.

I know many have tried this regimen and had success in eliminating most of their acne. I've used a lot of medication as well. Currently, I'm using panoxy 5% (a 5% bp) and a topical antibiotic. Its been three weeks since I started using bp and its working great. But my concern here is, will I grow use to this medication that I'm using and if I stop using it, acne returns? Meaning, I must have bp on my face or else it will be replaced with acne. So all you other regimen followers out there, tell me about your experience because I do not want to keep rubbing some toxic chemicals on my face for the rest of my life.

all bp does is keep acne at bay

therefore if your skin is stil prone to acne breakouts

all stopping applications of bp wil do

is leave your skin open to acne again

the only time u shud stop is when you feel you have grown out of acne.

until then in my opinion its not safe to do so as ur gonna end up breaking out

bp does not cure acne, it only treats it. So if you stop once you are clear you are likely to start breaking out again(unless you have naturally grown out of acne).

As people have said if you did this you are very likely to break out, unless you have cleared naturally during the time that you have been applying BP. It works as a preventative and not a 'cure' :)

So we're still relying on our medications to prevent acne. Lets face it, how many of us have had the courage to totally stop using any medication on our face. Man, I dont want to be overly relying on bp and such, yet I'm afraid that once I stop using it, some major breakout occurs

if you have grown out of acne and stop medication

then your acne wont come back

however if you havnt.

then you wil get new spots as the bp was keeping them at bay!

Mistake that I made. I was 100% clear of EVERYTHING then stopped, and I'm here again with everything.

yup, i remember i went on a vacation last year for two weeks, and i didnt bring BP and at that time my skin was pretty much under control, but by the time i got back i had pimples everywhere.

You'll actually be clear for a week or two. But it all comes back eventually.

I stopped once as I though "hey, maybe I will never get them again". I was WRONG. I do regret it.

Guest WolfPleb

You'll actually be clear for a week or two. But it all comes back eventually.

I stopped once as I though "hey, maybe I will never get them again". I was WRONG. I do regret it.

BP primarily kills the P.Acnes bug.

If you completely wipe it out, utterly kill it, it generally takes atleast 6 weeks to recolonise and start giving you acne again. You might get to that stage after consistently using BP for a year or something; maybe with some antibiotics as well.

If you haven't completely killed it, it will come back in a couple of weeks. You'd reach that stage after a few months.

The numbers are super-approximate.

hmmmm thats not quite true man ^

p.acnes live on our skin naturally small numbers of this bacteria live on the skin, and do no harm. However, if a large number develop in the blocked sebum,

the immune system may react and cause inflammation.

If inflammation develops, it causes the surrounding skin to become red, and the spots become larger etc

i got clear and stopped using bp.. things were great for a few months, then around the same time i broke out originally i broke out again..

i got clear and stopped using bp.. things were great for a few months, then around the same time i broke out originally i broke out again..

doh :doh:

Guest WolfPleb

hmmmm thats not quite true man ^

p.acnes live on our skin naturally small numbers of this bacteria live on the skin, and do no harm. However, if a large number develop in the blocked sebum,

the immune system may react and cause inflammation.

If inflammation develops, it causes the surrounding skin to become red, and the spots become larger etc

Sure, sure. That's fundamental. But people with acne seem to have less control over the bacteria somehow; so it tends to just keep growing.

But one time I was on minocycline for over a year, more or less continuously (I did take small breaks- a week or so every few months- you're supposed to take two weeks off every 3 months, but I found that broke me out...)

Anyway, after I came off, it took a good 6 weeks for it to come back. I figure I must have more or less killed every last P.Acne on my entire body. (Minocycline doesn't kill P.Acne per se, it just stops it growing it's 'bacteriostatic' but eventually the P.Acnes dies anyway of old age or whatever.)

I've also found similar things with other treatments; really thorough and consistent killing of P.Acnes gives clearance for up to 3 months.

BP isn't that good at killing every last P.Acnes though; I think some can hide where it can't reach it. But it certainly works well enough that it can control acne very well, and if you use it for long enough eventually the P.Acnes may be all but eradicated (for a while till you catch it back off other people- and that class of organism lives in your gut, so you can probably self-infect.)

hi. i'm jan carlo. you guys should read my thread. yes, there are P. Acne bacterias that must be killed, but BP and other medications make things worse by damaging surrounding skin as well.

It's as if you're trying to prevent infection on a wound by putting fire on your skin (which early doctors did).

Our skin (most of us) have the ability to defend itself from P. Acne, and etc bacteria.

I've done it. I'm clear. Many people have also done it, some are already clear, and some are in progress. If you're curious, go read my thread.

Have fun. Bye