Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pff..

just got back from a Cosmetic Surgery consultation

Well, I discussed my concerns: mainly my skin texture and large / scarred pores (along with some superficial cosmetic enhancements im thinking of having).

What she recommened for the skin texture is 6 treatments of microdermabration spaced 2 weeks apart. I asked if it would give good results for something like scarred pores and she slightly skirted round by saying it will give skin a fresh look as it looks dull and refine my pores. At a cost of around £570. :S

I am going to wait till i see dr.chu and ask his opinion.

Does anyone have experience of microderm?Waste of money? I dont want it for deep scars as the isolagen is working on those, but my skin texture and pores is horrendous. Will microderm really work for that? And is it permanent?

The one great thing that came out of this consultation is that I had gone to see them 6 months ago prior to having the isolagen. She didnt remember me as she asked if I had been before and she was the same lady I had seen. Last time i was there she recommended restylene for my nose to mouth lines as they were pretty deep. (I had some remaining isolagen injected in this area). I brought up having restylene in that area on this visit and she looked bemused and said that i dont have deep nose to mouth lines, that the area is normal and restylene is unnessesary! When i got home i got out a couple of mirrors and had a good look at all angles (head up, down, various light etc etc) and OMG shes right! Those lines are barely there and nothing like they were. I cant believe it! It feels wonderful to not have to think about using a filler every 6 months for something that really bothered me.

Microdermabrasion in general is worthless IMO even for just skin texture and doesn't do much for large pores at all. It's a big scam unless you have what magneticxboy had done which was agressive microderm. I had an agressive microderm done, unfortunately it further damaged my skin texture and pores. Stay way is my best advice cause in 90% of the cases it does absolutely nothing or makes your skin worse.

Think about it if it really worked do you think people would be on here trying crap with TCA?

I had microdermabrasion a bunch of times and in my opinion it is USELESS !!! I actually think it made my scarred pores more visible and did nothing for my skin texture. Complete waste of money unfortunately ! Try other procedures more directed to the scars that bother you the most, good luck and take care, Ruth

Hi Zombie:

Congrats on the improvement. That is great. However, I would say save the money you are thinking about spending on microderm for a nice holiday! I did microderm and it did absolutely nothing for my scars, but I will say it made my skin less oily. But £570 is WAAAAY tooooo much!!! I went to a salon in East London and they charged me around £25 per session. The esthetician was really nice and her neice suffered from severe acne and mild scarring so she had a lot time for me and scar stories. If you want to try her for the hell of it I can provide you details on a PM.

Best of luck

I wouldn't do microdermabrasion for the treatment of scars. I think it comes in handy in conjunction with other treatments for the purpose of sucking away all the dead skin so it doesn't clog your pores.

Shop around and get second and third opinions, especially if the consultations are free. This doctor is probably pushing this procedure because she doesn't do other treatments, such as lasers.

Smoothbeam and Cooltouch can be about the same cost of microdermabrasion but are far, far more effective. Mild chemical peels would be just as, if not more, effective than the micordermabrasion.

It really wont do anything for scars. The deep microderm powerpeel is really spot dermabasion done only on the scars. I would save my money and use it on something else.

thanks for your comments guys. really appreciated. Heidi no need for the pm if you think it would do anything for me but tnx for offering, im always grateful for peoples honest opinions.

Sad and frustrated about what on earth to do about my skin texture and ESP my HUGE pores tho.... wish one of us had found some kind of solution for that one by now. :(

oooo o really??

hope have you already posted a thread on this as i dont want to bug you to say what you have done if you already have one. If you have, then a link would be great, if you havent could you explain what you have done to help minimize. What exfol and what cp u using, how often, when did you notice results, how much would you say they have reduced? My skin esp in certain areas like around my nose and front of cheeks looks like an orange peel T_T, this same for you?

One last major plus if you have. Any pics b4 and afters?

SOrry for the barrage of questions!

Hi Zombie,

Your improvement from the isolagen is really good! I concur with the rest of the posters that micro is a waste of time. I've been there done that and won't do micro again. It's a waste of time and money, IMO. I've done weekly lactic 55% acid peels for 3 months and saw improvement in my skin tone and texture. Nothing dramatic but I did see improvement. I think I'm going to try salycic (sp?) acid peels this fall. There is a topic started by Robert on salycic peels that I can't seem to find right now. He claims to have gotten really good results and I've done some google searches on it and it is said to improve scarring. You might want to consider that. Good luck and thanks for posting your pics and isolagen experience with us. We need more posters like you.

New guy, salicylic acid ROCKS!!!!!! It really is wonderful and I'm already addicted to it. It makes skin look great (and feel great) in every way.

Here's the link to Robert's thread:

Salicylic acid

i do asprin masks once a week. Doesnt really do much for my pores size but does make my skin feel super clean. Im guessing you mean professional strength salicylic acid tho??

Im def going to try hopesprings suggestion of exfol and cp.

I'll take the time to read the salicylic acid thread later on but would still be great if anyone can post their personal opinions and result updates here.

And new guy 1 i will post some photo updates on my skin by monday latest. Glad that the site is appreciated. :)

Again ty all for saving me a small fortune and some emotional heartbreak by going for a treatment that wouldnt help. x

hopesprings the link below seems to be the same company but for the eu. Is this the cp you use? Do you use the super cop? ooo they even have super cop EXTRA STRENGTH..yowzer! my god its expensive tho! Then again if it really works and ive just saved myself £570 maybe its worth it..?

http://www.trcbio.net/acatalog/CP_Serums.html

Well, I discussed my concerns: mainly my skin texture and large / scarred pores (along with some superficial cosmetic enhancements im thinking of having).

What she recommened for the skin texture is 6 treatments of microdermabration spaced 2 weeks apart. I asked if it would give good results for something like scarred pores and she slightly skirted round by saying it will give skin a fresh look as it looks dull and refine my pores. At a cost of around ?570. :S

I am going to wait till i see dr.chu and ask his opinion.

Does anyone have experience of microderm?Waste of money? I dont want it for deep scars as the isolagen is working on those, but my skin texture and pores is horrendous. Will microderm really work for that? And is it permanent?

The one great thing that came out of this consultation is that I had gone to see them 6 months ago prior to having the isolagen. She didnt remember me as she asked if I had been before and she was the same lady I had seen. Last time i was there she recommended restylene for my nose to mouth lines as they were pretty deep. (I had some remaining isolagen injected in this area). I brought up having restylene in that area on this visit and she looked bemused and said that i dont have deep nose to mouth lines, that the area is normal and restylene is unnessesary! When i got home i got out a couple of mirrors and had a good look at all angles (head up, down, various light etc etc) and OMG shes right! Those lines are barely there and nothing like they were. I cant believe it! It feels wonderful to not have to think about using a filler every 6 months for something that really bothered me.

I think they are a waste of money, I have had 2 series (being like 12)and it didnt really help me any. It works better if you can find a aestition that does it along side a peel. Like I have a spa up the street that includes a peel, she decides what you skin needs, could be SA, Lactic, glycolic Jessner or if you want to peel for a while TCA.