Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leilauk

amazing skin in two months on dianette/diane but leg cramps! advise needed please!!

Hi everyone,

The dianette has cleared my skin completely and am so happy about that but am a bit worried about the risk of thrombosis. Does anyone know how big this risk is? And if the risk with dianette is that much higher than the risk with other birth control pills? :shifty:

For the first time in my life I have had night leg cramps since taking dianette. On two occassions I have been woken up by a really painful cramp in my calf and this has never happened before! I massaged it and walked around a bit and the cramp then went. I have done some research on dvt (i am health freak) and one of the symptoms is night leg cramps so am now worried. :eh:

Has anyone ever experienced leg cramps while on dianette? Have you willow3 if you are reading?

I dont know wheather I should stop taking it. My doctor is is useless and when I ask her medical related questions she always says "i dont know" in her dodgy accent.

When I fist went to her with acne she said its is my fault and is caused by my make up. When i got bacne I went to her and stripped in front of her and showed her my (once) pimpled covered back and said "and i suppose this is caused my make up too huh?"

silly woman. :wall:

anyway, am a bit worried now and dont know what to do! I know that leg cramps are a sign of poor circulation but dont know if it happened to me because this is a harmless aide effect or the start of a thrombosis.

Can anyone please offer advice?

I dont want to stop taking it because i have never had such clear skin!

But also dont want to amputate my legs or have dodgy veins everywhere which is what happens when you take the blood thinning drugs to treat dvt (did some good research)

Thanks people, look forward to hearing your replies.

xxx

Guest ihatespots

if your feeling cramps in your legs often i would go get it checked.someone i knew had thrombosis as a result of the pill and also a long plane journey,there was a clot.its easily removed,they just give you an injection to thin the blood. ( i think)

its nothing to get overly concerned about,i know a pyshio and she says that many athletes get clots in their legs without even noticing and eventually passes.

I am on Diane-35 as well. It sounds like you are experiencing muscle cramps...not a blood clot. I have experienced muscle cramps in my calves in the morning as well. When I wake up, if I stretch my toes, my calf muscle will cramp up and forms a small lump for about 10-15 seconds and hurts like a bitch! Afterwards, it feels as though I have had a bruise there for a day or two. I have seen my doctor about this, and she assured me that this is a muscle cramp, and is not related to blood clotting, or Diane-35. Muscle cramps can be caused by dehydration (I get them when I drink too much alcohol!) or a calcium deficiency, which I also had, form drinking too much coffee and not enough milk (or other sources of calcium), or from activities such as running, weight training, walking in high heels (causing a shortening of the Achilles tendon) etc. You may benefit from calf stretches, a calcium supplement, or an increased intake of water.....depending on the cause.

On a side note, the risk of blood clots on Diane has been found to be higher than average bcp's in several (but not all studies). BUT, it is hard to compare the group of women taking Diane to the group taking other bcp's because this group tends to suffer from hormone problems such as P.C.O.S. which often leads to obesity, which can lead to blood clots.

There was a show on TV about this (Market place or 20/20...I can't remember) that caused unecessary hype about the risk of blood clots on Diane. This caused an outrage in the medical community, and the producers of the show eventually had to retract their story and admit that there claims were exaggerated and were not backed up by significant scientific evidence.

The risks should not be ignored though, so if you are concerned it can't hurt to see a doctor, but if I were you, I would find a new doc!

Even a walk-in clinic could offer you some advice if you can't get a new gp.

hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies and very good advice.

I was just woried because I have never had leg cramps before I started taking dianette but now that I think about it mabey It was because I have stated excersising my legs alot now due to my fear of blood clots!

I also wear really high heels but always have done.

Thank you skeptic for your interesting advice, what you say makes a lot of sense. Did you experience leg cramps before taking diane?

How long have you been taking it and how long before you saw results in your skin? I have been on dianette for seven weeks but have been on lymecycline as well for 12 weeks so am not sure which one is clearing up my skin! I know everyone says that dianette takes 3 months and more to work so am confused! Also, have you had any boob growth? I have gone up a whole cup size! (another reason i dont want to come off!)

also, the reason I am freaking out is that in novemeber i am going to australia for 3 weeks. So that means I have to endure a 24 hour plane journey! twice!! so am scared now about the risks of dianette and I also smoke but not alot, around one a day some times none for days.

My derm told me that this amount of smoking will not affect my risk status but am not sure. I dont trust the NHS!! (english health service)

ihatespots, am freaking out more now about hearing about your friend getting a thrombosis on a flight while on the pill. Do you know what pill she was taking?

Am thinking of mabey changing my pill before I fly in november to a pill with a lower risk but am confused about which one would be suitable for supressing acne.

Any suggestions?

Have found out that studies on purple grape juice have found that drinking two glasses a day helps thin the blood and prevent blood clots better than asprin. SO am going to drink this religiously!!

this goes for red wine as well.

So off to the pub i go!

thanks Lionqueen to moving my post!

Guest ihatespots

i cant remember the name of the pill,micro-somthing or other.sorry. theres like these special socks you can wear on long journeys that are supposed to protect you from thrombosis or at least lower the risk.i would get some of those if you can.although really they musnt be much use,as my friend wore them and still got it! i would see your doctor about it and see is there anything he/she could do to lower the risk even more.

There are exercises you can do on long plane rides to prevent any clots (even important for people not on the pill

The risk of blood clots on the pill is 50% less than the risk of blood clots in pregnant women.

The package insert for Diane-35 indicates that most women see results from it within 3-6 months...it took 8 months for me to see the full results.

I initially experienced some breast swelling on Diane, but unfortunately that subsided after a couple of months!

I've been on Diane for 6 years. I treid to stop taking it a couple of years ago, thinking my acne was cured, and the acne came back immediately and took another 8 months to clear up on the pill.

wow you saw results in 2 months??

skeptik, i never knew you were on diane.. wow 8 months? tahts along time.. i hatte the waiting game. i'm in my second month right now =(

wow you saw results in 2 months??

skeptik, i never knew you were on diane.. wow 8 months? tahts along time.. i hatte the waiting game. i'm in my second month right now =(

I hope it works for you...I know how frusterating it is!

I read an article in the paper about the flight socks cutting the risk of getting dvt by 95% so am definatley going to use them!

am slightly freaked out that your friend still got dvt even though she wore the flight socks ihatespots!

thanks for the info and advice skeptic, am going to run up and down the asles of the plane as much as I can, i dont care who thinks im crazy!

Do you know how much greater the risk is of blood clots with diane as oppossed to other bcp's? I heard that its 40 in 100,000 women on standard bcp's and something like 60 in 100,000 women with diane.

You didnt say wheather you had leg cramps b4 starting diane??!

Dolce, I dont know if it is the dianette that cleared me in two months or the lymecycline. But have been on antibiotics before and they took much longer to clear me so am thinking its the dianette. I also apply azelaic acid (skinoren) religiously day and night after my shower where I wash with act soap which is really good.

I got a really big break out in the first month but now it has all cleared and no new ones have formed! And my acne was moderate to severe before. I had around 10 small pimples on my chest, around 15 big cystic spots on my back and nothing helped rid me of them! My face was not as bad but always had a few. The tops of my arms would also get spots as well as my shoulders. I even got one on my wrist! I mean wtf?!!!

Now for the first time I am completely cleared so am very happy and is the reason that i dont want to come off the dianette and am scared to to be honest becuase I have heard so many horror stories about girls coming off the pill and getting worse acne than before.

Have drunk 10 glasses of water at work today thanks to skeptik's advice!

But keep rushing to bathroom now every 30 mins (which i suppose is good as is also exersise!)

Dolcedolce, how are you finding the Diane? Have you experienced any side effects and leg cramps?

Hang in there! The Diane will kick in soon!

Sweetie, i'm gonna be brutally honest with you: if you are so worried about clots, switch your pill. e basta. i got a mild blood clot while on diane (only took it for 3 months) and it was enough to make me change pills. my doc in canada ( i had been prescribed diane35 in switzerland) told me to stop taking them IMMEDIATELY and switched me to Marvelon. i am now on Belara, and very happy with it. i am not trying to scare you, but maybe you would feel more comfortable taking a micopill like belara? my skin cleared up almost completely (see my pics).

i too have this issue with cramping, like if i yawn, i sometimes get a cramp in my neck..awful stuff!!! i have started to take zinc again and magnesium before and after sport (i play rugby, hooker...my momma's so proud of me!) and that really helps. being on the pill is a bit like being pregnant, so watch your magnesium and zinc intake, you made need to supplement.

try isotonic drinks like gatorade, or a manesium sup. (and get another doc...yours sounds like a dolt...sorry...had to be said!), drinking lots and lots of water will help with the dehydration, but will wash you of precious salts, so more that 2lts a day is not recommeded. cramps result not just from dehydration, but from the loss is isotonic solution in the musle tissue...

that's my 2cents.

Sweetie, i'm gonna be brutally honest with you: if you are so worried about clots, switch your pill. e basta. i got a mild blood clot while on diane (only took it for 3 months) and it was enough to make me change pills. my doc in canada ( i had been prescribed diane35 in switzerland) told me to stop taking them IMMEDIATELY and switched me to Marvelon. i am now on Belara, and very happy with it. i am not trying to scare you, but maybe you would feel more comfortable taking a micopill like belara? my skin cleared up almost completely (see my pics).

i too have this issue with cramping, like if i yawn, i sometimes get a cramp in my neck..awful stuff!!! i have started to take zinc again and magnesium before and after sport (i play rugby, hooker...my momma's so proud of me!) and that really helps. being on the pill is a bit like being pregnant, so watch your magnesium and zinc intake, you made need to supplement.

try isotonic drinks like gatorade, or a manesium sup. (and get another doc...yours sounds like a dolt...sorry...had to be said!), drinking lots and lots of water will help with the dehydration, but will wash you of precious salts, so more that 2lts a day is not recommeded. cramps result not just from dehydration, but from the loss is isotonic solution in the musle tissue...

that's my 2cents.

Thank you hippy love child for your advice.

Was shocked to read about you developing a blood clot on Diane.

Have few questions.

Where was the blood clot? in your legs? How did you know you had a blood clot? what were the symptoms?

Did you switch to Marvelon straight after taking Diane without a break? Did you experience a really bad breakout when you did this? How long did it take before you broke out on marvelon if you did?

Why did you change from Marvelon to Belara? Did you do this straight away too without a break?

Do you smoke?

Sorry for all the questions! You have confirmed my worst fears! I have read somewhere else on this website that another girl developed a dvt while on dianette and had to be hospitalised.

I know the risks are very small and dianette/diane works very well for alot of girls with no problems, but as i worry so much I think would be best if I think about changing it to another pill, even though I am completely clear now.

Is shame.

You are right, my doc needs to be changed, I really could do her job so much better than her and my degree is English lit!

I could just sit there with my computer and google everyones problems!

Silly inept doctor.

What is this amazing pill Belara?

I have heard only good things about this pill but I dont think its avaliable in the UK!

Do you or anyone know if I can find it here?

How long did it take for your skin to clear up? Have you had any other good effects like boobage growth?

Thanks for all your advice hun, will look into taking those suplements.

Drinks or supplements containing electrolytes (like Gatorade) are completely unnecessary unless someone has lost electrolytes due to sweating (when working out or playing sports). It can be harmful to drink way too much water though, which is also not a good thing.

Drinks like Gatorade are loaded with poatassium, sodium and sugars, which can contribute to hypertension in people who don't need them. The excess solutes can acutally pull water out of your system if taken when not needed.

It's best to drink water, and reserve the Gatorade for times of profuse sweating.

]Thank you hippy love child for your advice.

Have few questions.

Where was the blood clot? in your legs? How did you know you had a blood clot? what were the symptoms?

Did you switch to Marvelon straight after taking Diane without a break? Did you experience a really bad breakout when you did this? How long did it take before you broke out on marvelon if you did?

Why did you change from Marvelon to Belara? Did you do this straight away too without a break?

Do you smoke?

Sorry for all the questions! You have confirmed my worst fears! I have read somewhere else on this website that another girl developed a dvt while on dianette and had to be hospitalised.

I know the risks are very small and dianette/diane works very well for alot of girls with no problems, but as i worry so much I think would be best if I think about changing it to another pill, even though I am completely clear now.

Is shame.

You are right, my doc needs to be changed, I really could do her job so much better than her and my degree is English lit!

Silly inept doctor.

I have heard only good things about this pill but I dont think its avaliable in the UK!

How long did it take for your skin to clear up? Have you had any other good effects like boobage growth?

]Thank you hippy love child for your advice.

Have few questions.

Do you smoke?

Is shame.

Silly inept doctor.

I will gladly answer your questions :)

I had the blood clot in my arm, and it went away without any intervention: i noticed it while riding the bus, i got a brutal stabbing pain in my arm, which subsided after a few minutes, so it was very minor. I didn't mean to scare you! I just wanted to tell about my experience. I have several friends who take diane without any problems. I did smoke about a pack a day at the time, so i kinda brought it on myself :wall:

I took the week break off Diane, and then started with Marvelon: I had great skin while on Marvelon, it actually improved in comparison to Diane.

I changed from Marvelon to Belara because it is a micro-pill, and my skin was still very oily on the Marvelon. I didn't experience any breakout from this change either (again, took it after the week break).

I quit smoking 4 years ago. I smoke very rarely (like one ciggie every 3-4 months).

Apparently it is a good idea to change from Diane after about 6-12 months, but the best thing to do is to talk to a gyno about your concerns. Belara seems not to be available everywhere, but the active ingredients are 0.03mg Ethinylestradiol and 2mg Chlormadinonacetat (androgen blocker), so maybe ask for a pill containing these? Maybe it works for you as well :think: Yep, serious boobage, went almost up to a C! Used to be a small B. As I took a year off the pill and my skin went crazy, it took me about 6 months to really clear up after I went back on it!

I'll come over and kick yo doc's beeehind :cool: !

Thank you sweetie for answering all my questions.

I think I will probably stay on the dianette for another 3 months so so and then change to another pill like marvelon.

I will also look in to pills with the same or similar composition of belara as it sounds really good. Is quite unusual to have a low dose pill with androgen blockers I think!

Hopefully Belara will be avaliable here soon!

You are welcome to come and kick my doctors ass!

She needs a good ass kicking that woman

I read an article in the paper about the flight socks cutting the risk of getting dvt by 95% so am definatley going to use them!

am slightly freaked out that your friend still got dvt even though she wore the flight socks ihatespots!

thanks for the info and advice skeptic, am going to run up and down the asles of the plane as much as I can, i dont care who thinks im crazy!

Do you know how much greater the risk is of blood clots with diane as oppossed to other bcp's? I heard that its 40 in 100,000 women on standard bcp's and something like 60 in 100,000 women with diane.

You didnt say wheather you had leg cramps b4 starting diane??!

Dolce, I dont know if it is the dianette that cleared me in two months or the lymecycline. But have been on antibiotics before and they took much longer to clear me so am thinking its the dianette. I also apply azelaic acid (skinoren) religiously day and night after my shower where I wash with act soap which is really good.

I got a really big break out in the first month but now it has all cleared and no new ones have formed! And my acne was moderate to severe before. I had around 10 small pimples on my chest, around 15 big cystic spots on my back and nothing helped rid me of them! My face was not as bad but always had a few. The tops of my arms would also get spots as well as my shoulders. I even got one on my wrist! I mean wtf?!!!

Now for the first time I am completely cleared so am very happy and is the reason that i dont want to come off the dianette and am scared to to be honest becuase I have heard so many horror stories about girls coming off the pill and getting worse acne than before.

Have drunk 10 glasses of water at work today thanks to skeptik's advice!

But keep rushing to bathroom now every 30 mins (which i suppose is good as is also exersise!)

Dolcedolce, how are you finding the Diane? Have you experienced any side effects and leg cramps?

Hang in there! The Diane will kick in soon!

Well the first week or so i started taking Diane.. mood swings were horrible!! it was hapening every night after i took the pill, i'd get mad, then i'd start crying, get mad again, cry yet again.. thank god that stopped and my moods are mostly fine now..

i have got some pain in one side of my head, but its gone away for the most part, i started getting some pain at the back of my head a few days ago, but it seems to be an on & off thing..

i'm broken out right now - i think its because of something new i started (effaclar K renewal fluid) but i stopped that... i figured out that most of what i thought was acne is acutally redmarks, so i started on vitamin E and my skin is looking better.. i still have those annoying pimples from the effaclar breakout, but hopefully they'll go away soon.. diane doesnt really seem to be doing much for me overall though

If Diane works for you, don't come off it! It took me 8 months to see results from Diane, so why would you bother taking it for that long and then come off? Your acne will be right back to where it was when you started, as bcp's only have an effect on acne while your on them. Unless your really paranoid about the blood clot thing, I would stick with it. I don't know why hippylovechild said it is a good idea to take it for 6 months...if your going to take it for that short of a time period there is no point taking it at all.

If you are super concerned though, Yasmin is the next best thing to Diane as far as bcp's go.

The risk of a clot on Diane is 0.0006%...and that clots in general...fatal clots would be much lower, so don't fret!

It is shown with dianette that you have a risk, this isn't much of an insreased risk to any other third generation BCP. If you are worried go and see your doctor about the leg cramp. I would also say take an asprin a day, I took dianetter for four years, switched to marvelon so I could have a break from it for a year, now i'm back on dianette. I was just told it was good practice to take the asprin to prevent clots on all BCP's and becauce I fly sometimes and am very tall.

If Diane works for you, don't come off it! It took me 8 months to see results from Diane, so why would you bother taking it for that long and then come off? Your acne will be right back to where it was when you started, as bcp's only have an effect on acne while your on them. Unless your really paranoid about the blood clot thing, I would stick with it. I don't know why hippylovechild said it is a good idea to take it for 6 months...if your going to take it for that short of a time period there is no point taking it at all.

If you are super concerned though, Yasmin is the next best thing to Diane as far as bcp's go.

The risk of a clot on Diane is 0.0006%...and that clots in general...fatal clots would be much lower, so don't fret!

Wow 0.0006%, I didnt realise the risk was so low! Where did you read about that figure skeptik? You have really helped put my fears at rest as I thought the risk was much higher!

I suppose that I just have too much paranoia! I woke up yesterday with a muscle pain in one of my calves and was convinced that I had dvt! But now it is subsiding and Im thinking mabey this and the leg cramps (they havent happened again) are due to the fact that since i have been on this pill, due to me being paranoid about blood clots I have been excersising my legs alot. Where as before I never used to excersise at all.

Your right, it doesnt really make sence to stop it after such a short amount of time as would be pointless. I have got my blood test resusts back from the dematologist and there are no problems with my blood which makes me less paranoid!

Also, I havent really had any other side effects like head aches or depression and my periods are lighter and less painful and my body acne has all gone as well as increased boobage so I dont really want to stop.

I do get about two to 3 spots around pms week though but am hoping this will clear in time as has only been two months.

Has anyone else found that when your acne goes from your body it turns up on your face?! And vice versa? When I had body acne my face was clear! Now that my body is clear my face has spots!

Thanks for the advice Kat, I was also thinking that the risk would be not that much different to other 3rd generation pills. When you switched from dianette to marvelon for a year did your skin breakout or stay the same?

I have heard of these new natural pills called zinopin daily which has extract of this special blueberry from peru or somewhere that has 11 times more antioxidant power than normal bluberries. Its ment to be as effective as asprin in preventing blood clots but without the health risks. So may just give them a try!

http://www.salondaily.co.uk/en/lifestyle/w...lbeing_012.html

Im sure your skin will improve soon dolce dolce, It takes months to work. I met up with an old friend the other day and she told me that she had come off dianette after two years and her skin looked amazing. She told me it took her 7 months to be cleared but then she was 100% clear.

I also read somewhere on a medical website that an experement showed that after 18 months 100% of acne leisions decreased. But im sure it wont take that long for you! I saw improvement after 2 months but am still waiting for my face to completely clear.

Sorry...I meant the rate is 0.0006...the percent is actually 0.06%. That's still low though. I'm glad you're not so worried anymore!

Thanks for the advice Kat, I was also thinking that the risk would be not that much different to other 3rd generation pills. When you switched from dianette to marvelon for a year did your skin breakout or stay the same?

I never really had facial acne, I think it was because I took Dianette for so long before the usual 'teen acne' breakout for body acne. It kept my skin clear because even though I have taken roaccutane i still bokre out after my course on my face when i swtiched BCP, its a matter of finding one right for you. I think its right that you should take a break from dianette for a few months if you are worried about the risks, many people find that two or three types of pills work well for them. Unfortuantly for us in the UK some of these choices are limited as to which county you are in. Dianette is one of the cheapest pills so prescribe so aside from being effective they are quick to hand them out. There are other options though, just remember to ask, I learn't think having lived in Oxford for half the year and Cardiff the other when I was at uni, this way I got to try the different stuff they offer.

Also thanks for the info on Zinopin, i'm so interested in stuff like that, my doctor at the moment is great and encourages me to try herbal stuff before medications also i'm a firm believer in lifestyle changes to help prevent illnesses, i know some things you can't change (i have acne and diabetes) but you can do things to make them better. When I came off roaccutane I ended my course early since I got psorosis, which may or may not have been from roacctuane, it was painful and looked awful (it was all over my hands etc) I took methotrexate and other pills for it and it made my hair thin and some fall out and made me lose wight and i looked awful. Someone suggested when I was near the end of my tether to take milk thistle, i went on it and 3 months later it was gone, totally, my Dr was amazing putting it on presription etc. So thanks very much.

I never really had facial acne, I think it was because I took Dianette for so long before the usual 'teen acne' breakout for body acne. It kept my skin clear because even though I have taken roaccutane i still bokre out after my course on my face when i swtiched BCP, its a matter of finding one right for you. I think its right that you should take a break from dianette for a few months if you are worried about the risks, many people find that two or three types of pills work well for them. Unfortuantly for us in the UK some of these choices are limited as to which county you are in. Dianette is one of the cheapest pills so prescribe so aside from being effective they are quick to hand them out. There are other options though, just remember to ask, I learn't think having lived in Oxford for half the year and Cardiff the other when I was at uni, this way I got to try the different stuff they offer.

Also thanks for the info on Zinopin, i'm so interested in stuff like that, my doctor at the moment is great and encourages me to try herbal stuff before medications also i'm a firm believer in lifestyle changes to help prevent illnesses, i know some things you can't change (i have acne and diabetes) but you can do things to make them better. When I came off roaccutane I ended my course early since I got psorosis, which may or may not have been from roacctuane, it was painful and looked awful (it was all over my hands etc) I took methotrexate and other pills for it and it made my hair thin and some fall out and made me lose wight and i looked awful. Someone suggested when I was near the end of my tether to take milk thistle, i went on it and 3 months later it was gone, totally, my Dr was amazing putting it on presription etc. So thanks very much.

Are you sure Dianette is one of the cheapest pills in the UK? In Canada, Diane-35 is the most expensive birth control pill on the market, and drug plans will cover all bcp's except it. It is not prescribed for the purpose of birth control...only for severe acne.

yeah i'm sure of it, a good friend of mine is a student nurse and has all the drug prices in this book, it is definatly cheaper than marvelon as that is the one i asked her to compare it to and she said it was cheaper than most of the others, microgynon is the cheapest i believe