Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fmxkid

question about SALICYLIC ACID

does anybody know if a gentle SA scrub is safe for not really acne prone skin, but kinda sensitive; and does it actually do anyhting GOOD like cleanse pores well or break down/ prevent sebum build up??(clogged pores) I'm asking b/c I can't use ANY other cleansers or soaps because they all contain a couple ingredient that cause some weird irration on my face and or mild acne and this SA scrub in my parents business doesn't have any of the ingredients i've studied in the other products i've used that caused a reaction, but i'm really worried that the SA will actually cause acne or perhaps do somethin helpful for my face...my problem is i can't use any cleansers or soaps (tried like 15) but i get clogged pores easily (even without using any products) so if you guys/girls have any answers or suggestions on anything i'd appreciate any replies :) thanks!

does anybody know if a gentle SA scrub is safe for not really acne prone skin, but kinda sensitive; and does it actually do anyhting GOOD like cleanse pores well or break down/ prevent sebum build up??(clogged pores) I'm asking b/c I can't use ANY other cleansers or soaps because they all contain a couple ingredient that cause some weird irration on my face and or mild acne and this SA scrub in my parents business doesn't have any of the ingredients i've studied in the other products i've used that caused a reaction, but i'm really worried that the SA will actually cause acne or perhaps do somethin helpful for my face...my problem is i can't use any cleansers or soaps (tried like 15) but i get clogged pores easily (even without using any products) so if you guys/girls have any answers or suggestions on anything i'd appreciate any replies :) thanks!

Chances are salicylic acid won't do much in a cleanser because almost all cleansers have a pH that is too high (over 4) to allow the salicylic acid to exfoliate. Also, a lot of the product can go down the drain.

I like the Paula's Choice Beta Hydroxy Acid products, which are leave-on and extremely gentle.

Just out of curiosity, which ingredients aggravate your skin? Maybe I could recommend a good cleanser for you.

I agree with Snow Queen that an SA scrub may not be such a good idea, it is likely to be over irritating to your skin so a wash may be a better option. I've used a few clearisil and oxy ones in the past, however, unfortunately they didn't really do much for me so I wouldn't recommend ones from those brands :)

I agree with Snow Queen that an SA scrub may not be such a good idea, it is likely to be over irritating to your skin so a wash may be a better option. I've used a few clearisil and oxy ones in the past, however, unfortunately they didn't really do much for me so I wouldn't recommend ones from those brands :)

Yeah, any scrub probably would be a bad idea for you. I tried Clearasil and Oxy and the result was irritated skin.

Chances are salicylic acid won't do much in a cleanser because almost all cleansers have a pH that is too high (over 4) to allow the salicylic acid to exfoliate. Also, a lot of the product can go down the drain.

I like the Paula's Choice Beta Hydroxy Acid products, which are leave-on and extremely gentle.

Just out of curiosity, which ingredients aggravate your skin? Maybe I could recommend a good cleanser for you.

nah haha i've iether tired or read the ingredients on every cleanser in walgreens/walmart and drugstore.com i narrowed the ingredients down to like 5 that could be causing it and every cleanser has em exccept this one :/

yea but literally every clanser has the ingerdients i narrowed down in the products i've used that cuased irritation and this cleanser doesn't have any of them, i was just wondering about the sa.from what it sounds like it probly wont do its job so i'm still wonderin if it will do somethin to my face.

I bet you haven't seen this surfectant in a cleanser before:

Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate

It is one of the most mild ones used in cleansers.

The cleanser I know of that has it as the primary surfectant is also from the Paula's Choice line (I know I keep on reccommending that line, by the way, but I think it has become one of my favorites). It's called Skin Recovery Cleanser, and is designed for very sensitive skin.

Here's a link where you can buy it; it also lists all the ingredients and what function as:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/product.a...C105&PAGETYPE=S

im not sure how much good it would do, because acne prone skin doesnt really seem to respond well, at least for me. i used a clearasil scrub and some oxy scrub and they both did some pretty bad things for my skin instead of good.

The cleanser I know of that has it as the primary surfectant is also from the Paula's Choice line (I know I keep on reccommending that line, by the way, but I think it has become one of my favorites). It's called Skin Recovery Cleanser, and is designed for very sensitive skin.

Here's a link where you can buy it; it also lists all the ingredients and what function as:

its not non-comedogenic.thanks tough.

Terms like "non-comedogenic," "dermatologically tested," "hypo-allergenic," etc... are marketing terms that are NOT regulated by the FDA; therefore they can mean anything the cosmetics industry wants them to. The brand Paula's Choice is against using misleading labels like that, so none of her products have them.

Terms like "non-comedogenic," "dermatologically tested," "hypo-allergenic," etc... are marketing terms that are NOT regulated by the FDA; therefore they can mean anything the cosmetics industry wants them to. The brand Paula's Choice is against using misleading labels like that, so none of her products have them.

i dont know what the fda is but i know for a fact that when it says its non-comedogenic that they tested it on a rabits ear for a certain amount of time to see if it clogged the pores.thats how they get that answer.i would rather have one that says its non-comedogenic then one that doesn't...paulas choice could just be selling you b.s. like you say all the other ones are..not tryin to knock her products or anything but i'm more of scientific person if you know what i mean. also from my personal experience, EVERY product i've ever used that didn't say non-comedogenic clogged my pores.

I would be wary of using any scrub on skin that is that sensitive.

I"m not a big fan of Cetaphil personally, but have you ever tried it? Alot of people with sensitive skin really do love it. Might be one worth considering.

But SA is pretty harsh and drying even in a non-scrub type product, I would be hesitant for you to use it too!

It might be a good idea to see a derm since your skin has reacted to so many products.

Try Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser...it's not comedogenic. Very, very gentle, and has improved my acne.

You can check all the ingredients for their comedogenicity at:

www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm.

Snow Queen is right...the FDA (Food and Drug Administration...in charge of approving all drugs etc) does not regulate the use of buzz words such as non-comedogenic, or all natural...a company does not have to test the product on a rabbits ear to put 'non-comedogenic' on the label.... Even if they did test it on a rabbit's ear, wouldn't you feel safer using a product that a fellow acne sufferer has success with, rather than a rabbit's ear?

turns out that scrub i was talkin about caused some acne, i used it for 2 days (morning and night) and noticied a couple small pimples so its out of the question.it was probly the SA but its all good ima just stick to the whole wash cloth and water lol the self testing answered my question i guess lol o and about the whole rabbit ear thing i forgot to mention the company that actually made the product with the non-comedogenic saying on it arn't the ones who tested on the rabbit, it just means the ingredients in the their products were tested (not sure who tested them) and came out as non-comedogenic. sorry if it makes no sence but i'm not too good with explainin things so if it dont make sence lemme know lol

i dont know what the fda is but i know for a fact that when it says its non-comedogenic that they tested it on a rabits ear for a certain amount of time to see if it clogged the pores.thats how they get that answer.i would rather have one that says its non-comedogenic then one that doesn't...paulas choice could just be selling you b.s. like you say all the other ones are..not tryin to knock her products or anything but i'm more of scientific person if you know what i mean. also from my personal experience, EVERY product i've ever used that didn't say non-comedogenic clogged my pores.

The FDA is the Food and Drug Administration (www.fda.gov). Health and history classes often cover it in their curriculum. Think what you want about "non-comedogenic" products; I used to hold the same views you do until I educated myself. Now I look at the ingredients of something to tell whether or not it is likely to clog pores (and have as a result stopped wasting money on irritating or ineffective products); which seems more "scientific" to me.

By the way, not all companies that label products "non-comedogenic" test on animals, but I think I see the point you are trying to make. To that, I still say "non-comedogenic" doesn't mean anything because the "scientific" studies are not included next to the marketing terms; therefore, you don't know exactly what conditions and events led to the term "non-comedogenic."

You might find this Dear Paula letter interesting; it does not specifically relate to non-comedogenic testing, but it gives you a background idea of how some cosmetics companies justify their products' claims.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/dearpaul...rds=avon+tester

I doubt that Paula's Choice is "selling me b.s." because Paula lists respectable sources to her published research all over her website and books. In addition, she reviews and reccommends many products from cosmetics companies not associated with her own. In case you got the impression that I use only Paula's Choice products, I don't; I mix and match my brands, but I make sure that the products I buy are worth the money. The only types of products I buy exclusively from Paula's Choice are the exfoliants because I find that they are gentler and more effective than those made by other brands that I have tried.

Another thing: there was a Clearsil lotion that I used a few years back which said "non-comdogenic," and I'm certain it broke me out. I'm assuming that the salicylic acid wash you tried said "non-comedogenic" as well since you won't try cleansers without that label, and yet you claim it broke you out (which there's a good chance it didn't, since breakouts take about two weeks to form, but for argument's sake...).

The FDA is the Food and Drug Administration (www.fda.gov). Health and history classes often cover it in their curriculum. Think what you want about "non-comedogenic" products; I used to hold the same views you do until I educated myself. Now I look at the ingredients of something to tell whether or not it is likely to clog pores (and have as a result stopped wasting money on irritating or ineffective products); which seems more "scientific" to me.

By the way, not all companies that label products "non-comedogenic" test on animals, but I think I see the point you are trying to make. To that, I still say "non-comedogenic" doesn't mean anything because the "scientific" studies are not included next to the marketing terms; therefore, you don't know exactly what conditions and events led to the term "non-comedogenic."

You might find this Dear Paula letter interesting; it does not specifically relate to non-comedogenic testing, but it gives you a background idea of how some cosmetics companies justify their products' claims.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/dearpaul...rds=avon+tester

I doubt that Paula's Choice is "selling me b.s." because Paula lists respectable sources to her published research all over her website and books. In addition, she reviews and reccommends many products from cosmetics companies not associated with her own. In case you got the impression that I use only Paula's Choice products, I don't; I mix and match my brands, but I make sure that the products I buy are worth the money. The only types of products I buy exclusively from Paula's Choice are the exfoliants because I find that they are gentler and more effective than those made by other brands that I have tried.

Another thing: there was a Clearsil lotion that I used a few years back which said "non-comdogenic," and I'm certain it broke me out. I'm assuming that the salicylic acid wash you tried said "non-comedogenic" as well since you won't try cleansers without that label, and yet you claim it broke you out (which there's a good chance it didn't, since breakouts take about two weeks to form, but for argument's sake...).

about the clearsil, i know things that say non-comedogenic can cause breaks out, the saying "non-comedogenic" doesn't mean its gonna work for your skin though lol i've used a couple things that said it and had bad results, not clogged pores but infection (break out) yes. who the hell knows what all the ingredients they put in shit are you know? lol they just wanna make some cash and probly think the stuff they put in their products are safe, but when dealing with acne and acne being such an unknown problem its impossible to find something that really works. everybody just has to try things out for them selves to find out what the product will really do. i beleive you when you say not all of them test on animals n stuff and have read what you have but i'm just talkin about the products and ingredients i've researched that i know have been tested. i've tried things that dont say non-comedogenic and can easily notice my pores clogging up. i dont have to worry about using anyhting anymore but i'm jus tlettin you know that all the products i've bought have said it and not clogged my pores or didn't say it and did clog them and came up accurate on the list of ingredients tested on the rabbit ear. and for what yo usaid about it takin two weeks for yo uto actually beak out is definitly not true when it comes to my type of skin b/c i can notice the littlest things on my face over night.probly because my skin barrier lets infection occure hella fast or something.i dont know exactly how it all works but i know what something is doin to my face really easily.i one or two days. i'm like a living product test dummy for myself after using all the things i have lol its simple to tell whats happening. i admit i got some wierd ass skin... probly caused from the things i did to it before i know what i was doing but what can ya do. live and learn right.i think i've learned just about as much as i need and now its just becoming us tryin to make each other bleive things which is now pointless sence i've made my mind up on what i have ta do for the rest of my life lol but i dont wanna make it sound like what you are tryin to tell me doesn't mean anyhting b/c i'm sure it does but i think i'm done with tryin ot figure things out ;)