Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stoked_space_monkey

question about vitamin c intake

im taking 10 grams a day with no problems..heals my marks fast as hell.

some people take 20+ grams..

i even read about a guy who took 50 grams a day who cured himself of some ailment

50gms???!!!!

in the long term, he will probably get kidney stones or iron overload/defiency or something like that...

anyway, the RDA for Vitamin C is 30-40 MILLIGRAMS per day

but for us who wants to heal our wounds, we should take more

I take 1 gram a day, and it helps immensely already, 5+ grams is simply overload...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 10 grams is probably too much. I'm pretty comfortable saying that.

i agree i think taking 1g is ok but dont do anything over that and once your redmarks are basically healed stop taking that much bc that much Vit C really sint good at all for your body.

Guest nec77

I take 1 gram a day, and it helps immensely already, 5+ grams is simply overload...

do you get that by eating certain food or taking a vitamin? if a vitamin, what 'brand' do you get? and what does it say on label.

do you get that by eating certain food or taking a vitamin? if a vitamin, what 'brand' do you get? and what does it say on label.

i try to eat as much from natural sources as possible ie broccoli, parsley, citrus

mostly i eat a lot of broccoli as it has twice as much vc than citrus

parsley has even higher, but i can't stand too much of it

i do take supplements, usually one 500mg tablet

but at most 2 500mg ones if i didn't consume enough from other sources that day

i take Blackmores...and do u mean what it says as the active ingredient??

Guest nec77

i mean like does it say "Vitamin-C" or "multivitamin" etc. you guys think flintstone vitamins are good? i use to eat those when i was a kid, they were so good. i currently apply a vitamin-c serum on my marks and i eat 'total' cereal which has 100% of the reccomended daily amount.

Passing kidney stones is classed as one of the most humanely possible painful experiences. I'd be to scared to take more than 1g for that fact.

I remember seeing this news saying that this woman took over 1 gram of vitamin C everyday and then it caused some disorder in her due to the fact that vitamin C interfered with other vitamin (couldnt remember which vitamin it was, think it was vitamin A) intakes also.

So the lesson here is, overdosing one kind of vitamin will cause an unbalanced level of other vitamins in your body.

But I'm taking as much vitamin C as I can so my redmarks will fade faster :rolleyes:

Haha this thread is getting out of control now.

tell me about it

LOL

What the hell? injecting Vitamin C, that's the most absurd thing I've heard all day...

Btw, nec77, on the label it just says Vitamin C 500mg

I don't take multivitamins as it's not necessary and I don't feel they work properly anyway

Flintstone?? Sorry never heard of that brand...I live in Australia- maybe that's why ;)

Topical application is probably also good, but I feel oral intake is better as it aims for the whole body rather than just a specific area, and that works well for me because i have back acne as well...

Guest nec77

bah i bought a multivitamin because i thought vitamin-e would also help me. its only 60 mg vitamin c and 30 iu vitamin e. i also bought some heart healthy oj which had vitamin c 240% daily value. also, i apply a vitamin c serum on my face as well as eat 'total' cereal which has 100% daily value. i also eat a salad every day. i hope i didnt screw up :(

bah i bought a multivitamin because i thought vitamin-e would also help me. its only 60 mg vitamin c and 30 iu vitamin e. i also bought some heart healthy oj which had vitamin c 240% daily value. also, i apply a vitamin c serum on my face as well as eat 'total' cereal which has 100% daily value. i also eat a salad every day. i hope i didnt screw up :(

Your diet sounds good, cereal with salad

I am sure you didn't screw up

As I said, the RDA for VC is only 30-40mg

I mean, 10x the RDA (around 300-400mg) is probably enough to help us already

But I am just take around 1g for good measure as not all taken will be absorbed, but anything above this level in the long term has negative consequences for the body...

Vitamin E is promoted as an antiscar medication, but I am not sure how much it helps with red marks, but it's probably good for scars...30IU is already over the RDA

How many of the tablets do u need to take everyday?

LOL i am putting my dietetics studies into good use in this thread :cool:

Guest nec77

1 a day and i dont eat cereal with salad lol. i have salad for lunch or a mid afternoon snack. the vitamins are 'centrum' from a to zinc.