Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
helpme!

can anyone give me quick tips?

ok, so i thought my bacne was going away, but this week it has come back, and at the worst time too!! next friday i'm going on a long weekend beach trip with some friends and it just looks horrible!! i've been doing the sea salt thing and using bp, and it pretty much went away for awhile, but now i have a bunch of monstrous bumps that i'd really like to go down...if just a few of them went down i'd be a lot happier. can anyone here give me any tips to make them go down a little faster? or at least appear to look better? i have a bit of a tan, so that somewhat camoflauges it, but if anyone could let me know of anything i'd really REALLY appreciate it...

go to a tanning salon for 10 minutes everyday until then. if you're not very sun tolerant, go for 5 minutes. your skin will be radiant for the trip

:-)

DO NOT GO TO A TANNING SALON. That is, if you care about the health of your skin.

The following are some of my posts from another thread called "Tanning: Not Working Out Like I Hoped!"

"UV rays from sun exposure kill off acne-causing bacteria, which is one reason why people may notice an improvement in acne after tanning, but not all the bacteria are killed. While the UV rays are killing the bacteria, they are also prematurely killing skin cells and permanently damaging the skin. As a defensive mechanism, the skin thickens. The increase in dead skin cells combined with thicker skin increases clogged pores by hindering the skin's natural sloughing off process. Meanwhile, the surviving bacteria are given a chance to recooperate and soon are thriving inside all the clogged pores; due to UV damage, the skin is less able to defend itself against these bacteria. Next thing you know, you have a major breakout.

As a side note, because UV rays damage the deeper layers of the skin they also damage pore function. This may be why some people seem to notice an excess in sebum.

There are safer ways to achieve a darker skintone such as self-tanning sprays and lotions. If you want to make sure the job's done right, go to a salon or spa; many offer this service. Also, some of these salons and spas offer a kind of "abdomen contouring," which involves the strategic application of spray-on-tanner to shadow and outline the abdominal area, thus creating the look of toned abs. Abdomen contouring is recommended for those that are not overweight."

"...Tanning most definately leads to premature aging, cataracts, cellulite, the surfacing of capillaries, and skin cancer. Many of the sun's negative effects can be seen before the age of thirty and sometimes even before the age of twenty. (LabGirl, who does not burn, had a skin cancer lesion removed in her early twenties, which left a scar.) Tanning is definately a bad idea.

To protect yourself, get a sunscreen with AT LEAST an SPF 15 and even higher for long-term sun exposure. Make sure your sunscreen is applied liberally; most people don't apply enough. Also, if you go swimming or are sweating a lot, it is typically recommended to reapply your sunscreen every two hours even if your sunscreen is water-resistant.

In case you didn't know, not all sunscreens adequately block against UVA rays, which are most likely to lead to the harmful side effects mentioned above. In the US, avobenzone (Parsol 1789), titanium dioxide, and zinc oxide are the only sunscreen ingredients that offer enough UVA protection. Outside the US, mexoryl sx is recognized to adequately protect against UVA rays. Avobenzone (and possibly mexoryl sx, but I'm not sure) is not likely to clog pores, unlike zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. I have heard rave reviews over Neutrogena's Dry Touch line.

FYI: I asked my parents what dermatologists did to help their patients with acne back in the day, and they told me that sunlamps were used to tan the skin. Then I asked them whether or not tanning worked, and they said yes, but they always broke out worse shortly after.

Even if tanning worked temporarily, why do you suppose dermatologists no longer recommend tanning or unprotected sun-exposure to treat acne?"

Now, as far as clearing up your bacne, here is a regimen you could try:

1) Wash with a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser like Eucerin Baby Aquaphor Gentle Wash (it is good to use on adult skin as well; I've even used it on my face)

http://www.eucerinus.com/products/baby_aquawash.html

2) Apply a Paula's Choice 2% BHA product. Salicylic acid is lipid soluble and can thus exfoliate within the pores, provided it is in a solution having a pH of 4 or lower. Paula's Choice is one of the few skin care lines that offers a salicylic acid product that is both pH correct and gentle.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/category2...PE=1&PAGETYPE=S

3) Apply a gentle benzoyl peroxide product such as Dans, Neutrogena's, or Paula's Choice's.

4) Apply a good sunscreen like Neutrogena's Dry Touch to protect against sun exposure.

OR---if you want something to WORK---you could tan the shit out of your back this ONCE and call it a day---or, in your case, a nice bacne free trip to the beach.

yes, the sun is horrible bla bla bla bla. but then again---so is acne. i never tan my face---under ANY circumstances. my face is fine on its own (totally clear actually). but the body acne...well that's a bitch for another day. so i tan regularly for short periods of time to keep it away from me. as long as i work out and keep my body in shape, and the skin tone is a lovely bronze color, i don't care how old it is or what it does when i'm 50.

(i understand this "f*ck it all" attitude isn't for everyone, but i'm sick of listening to people talk about consuming mounds and mounds of vitamins and "flushing" their liver and wasting money on acids and peroxides and anti bacterials or sleeping in bath tubs of salt water to no avail.)

OR---if you want something to WORK---you could tan the shit out of your back this ONCE and call it a day---or, in your case, a nice bacne free trip to the beach.

yes, the sun is horrible bla bla bla bla. but then again---so is acne. i never tan my face---under ANY circumstances. my face is fine on its own (totally clear actually). but the body acne...well that's a bitch for another day. so i tan regularly for short periods of time to keep it away from me. as long as i work out and keep my body in shape, and the skin tone is a lovely bronze color, i don't care how old it is or what it does when i'm 50.

(i understand this "f*ck it all" attitude isn't for everyone, but i'm sick of listening to people talk about consuming mounds and mounds of vitamins and "flushing" their liver and wasting money on acids and peroxides and anti bacterials or sleeping in bath tubs of salt water to no avail.)

My posts were based on research. I challenge you to find ANY respectable source in the medical community that encourages tanning.

Guest nec77

Now, as far as clearing up your bacne, here is a regimen you could try:

1) Wash with a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser like Eucerin Baby Aquaphor Gentle Wash (it is good to use on adult skin as well; I've even used it on my face)

http://www.eucerinus.com/products/baby_aquawash.html

2) Apply a Paula's Choice 2% BHA product. Salicylic acid is lipid soluble and can thus exfoliate within the pores, provided it is in a solution having a pH of 4 or lower. Paula's Choice is one of the few skin care lines that offers a salicylic acid product that is both pH correct and gentle.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/category2...PE=1&PAGETYPE=S

3) Apply a gentle benzoyl peroxide product such as Dans, Neutrogena's, or Paula's Choice's.

4) Apply a good sunscreen like Neutrogena's Dry Touch to protect against sun exposure.

would you recommend this to me even though my back isnt severe... i have a lot of little red spots, but never cysts or anything like that. i dont even break out on my back its just that these spots dont go away. i just really noticed them after i shaved my back (i know its disgusting- im getting laser hair removal) a few weeks ago.

I did read about the sea salt method but the problem with that is my mom wont let me run the hotwater cause it costs too much :cry:

would you recommend this to me even though my back isnt severe... i have a lot of little red spots, but never cysts or anything like that. i dont even break out on my back its just that these spots dont go away. i just really noticed them after i shaved my back (i know its disgusting- im getting laser hair removal) a few weeks ago.

I did read about the sea salt method but the problem with that is my mom wont let me run the hotwater cause it costs too much :cry:

If your bacne really isn't severe and you're worried about the potential for irritation, the only change in my reccommendation would be to hold back on applying the benzoyl peroxide. Give the Paula's Choice a month, and if you still don't get the results you want, you could then try adding the benzoyl peroxide after.

Salicylic acid, in addition to being an exfoliant, also acts as an anti-inflammatory and mild disinfectant (though it is not nearly as potent a disinfectant as benzoyl peroxide, so that's hardly ever mentioned). Therefore, it may help with any irritation you get from shaving.

Also, it's best that irritated, acneic skin is not washed with hot water, though I really can't expect you to wash with lukewarm water either as hot water just feels so nice on the body... Hot showers are the one thing I can't give up, unfortunately. However, if you already can't run the hot water, I suppose you're at a kind of advantage!

You know those SA washes? Yea, don't wash it off. LEave it on. It'll be gone very quickly. I'm serious, this is what I do. I'm almost done with bacne. It's taken me like a week to get rid of most of it.

My posts were based on research. I challenge you to find ANY respectable source in the medical community that encourages tanning.

My posts are based on RESULTS. I challenge you, sir, to find any "quick fixes" based on your suggestions. She didn't ask for something theoretical, she asked for something that would work. Yes, silence, that's what i like to hear. :surprised:

Guest nec77

Do you know of any good BHA products besides 'Paula's choice' , I dont think i've seen that at the grocery store, walgreens.

thanks for all the feedback guys! i know tanning isn't the best way...but i've been dealing with this for awhile and i just get sick of nothing working...and with it being summer, i can't stand not being able to be myself around my friends and wear a swim suit! so for now, tanning does help a bit. i'm hoping i will at least look presentable by next weekend! right now i'm just washing with neutrogena body scrub and biore ice cleanser and using a lot of bp...it's the best i can think of. and yes, i'll go to the tanner here and there. i'm not new to this problem, it's been about four years, so i've seen all the ups and downs of what tanning can do. but thanks for all the input, and by all means, if anyone has any other tips to add i'd really appreciate them!!

Do you know of any good BHA products besides 'Paula's choice' , I dont think i've seen that at the grocery store, walgreens.

They have to be ordered online, but that's really no big deal. The only other good salicylic acid product I knew of was Neutrogena Clear Pore Nighttime Treatment, which has been discontinued.

My posts are based on RESULTS. I challenge you, sir, to find any "quick fixes" based on your suggestions. She didn't ask for something theoretical, she asked for something that would work. Yes, silence, that's what i like to hear. :surprised:

You really don't read a lot, do you? If you had even looked at my entire post, you'd have realized I'm not a "sir." For the record, "quick fixes" aren't usually the smartest things for a person to do; look at the government. Tanning does NOT work; that is, it doesn't work if you don't want to make matters worse for your skin. Also, the person who started this thread ALREADY has a tan, and is STILL worried about acne.

You know those SA washes? Yea, don't wash it off. LEave it on. It'll be gone very quickly. I'm serious, this is what I do. I'm almost done with bacne. It's taken me like a week to get rid of most of it.

how long do you leave them on for?