Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JONNY!

Getting a derm in the Uk....

Hi, basically im 16 and have mild acne. My Gp has referred me on to see a dermatologist to get prescribed Accutane - but theres a waiting list of like 4 months or so.

Basically its toooo long lol - and apparently you can go privately or something, or you can arrange to meet with an NHS derm outwith their normal hours?

Does anyone know how i would go about doing this? And also, i have private health care or insurance or something, so does tha mean i dont have to pay/pay as much?

Hi, basically im 16 and have mild acne. My Gp has referred me on to see a dermatologist to get prescribed Accutane - but theres a waiting list of like 4 months or so.

Basically its toooo long lol - and apparently you can go privately or something, or you can arrange to meet with an NHS derm outwith their normal hours?

Does anyone know how i would go about doing this? And also, i have private health care or insurance or something, so does tha mean i dont have to pay/pay as much?

Yes I went private. I had an initial consultation fee of around 120 which you have to have, + a liver blood test (which u also have to have) another £40 or so, then the meds depending on your dosage, probably start u on 60mg would be £110 a month, so its not cheap, if you are on a 6 month private course, will set you back about £800 or 900, and you may have to see the derm during the course so it could cost even more per consultation, I am on 80 mg after being on 60mg for the first 2 months, 80 mg costs £140 a month. If at the age of 16 you have that kind of money then go for it. I believ on NHS most costs there are paid for + the tane itself is alot cheaper.

Hope that gives you an idea of the cost.

bac ages ago when i got a referral it was 6 months! and then 2 weeks before it got cancelled cos the doctor left and then waited 2 more months for someone else.

After i finished accunatne (on the last visit) it was some other lady and she said all was good and took me of the books.. which kinda sucks cos i probably would have went back after me acne started returning.

Try to see a dermatologist privately who also works in the NHS. That way you have to pay for the initial consultation, but they can "convert" you to an NHS patient complete with free blood tests, check ups, and cheap (maybe free at your age) prescriptions. Therefore, no need to wait for the NHS, and no need to pay (full) private costs.

Try to see a dermatologist privately who also works in the NHS. That way you have to pay for the initial consultation, but they can "convert" you to an NHS patient complete with free blood tests, check ups, and cheap (maybe free at your age) prescriptions. Therefore, no need to wait for the NHS, and no need to pay (full) private costs.

How do i go about doing this? Just call up the dermatology department in the hospital?

aboulton? or anyone?

The chances are if you go private on consultation then he will write you a private prescription. Thats it, you will have to pay the costs I mentioned earlier. By all means ask the derm about this when you see him but I have never heard of this private + then NHS otherwise I would have been informed and could claim my money back. Either pay up privately as discussed or wait on NHS. You are very young anyway, whats another 4-5 months waiting gonna hurt, I mean really spots at your age is perfectly normal and much less traumatic then when you are an adult. Maybe there is some student/ child discount thing, i dont know, but why dont you phone a dermotologist and ask, if you dont speak directly to a derm there is no doubt a secretary or assistant who can answer your questions clearly. Asking that on here isnt really going to clarify it for you.

aboulton? or anyone?

The chances are if you go private on consultation then he will write you a private prescription. Thats it, you will have to pay the costs I mentioned earlier. By all means ask the derm about this when you see him but I have never heard of this private + then NHS otherwise I would have been informed and could claim my money back. Either pay up privately as discussed or wait on NHS. You are very young anyway, whats another 4-5 months waiting gonna hurt, I mean really spots at your age is perfectly normal and much less traumatic then when you are an adult. Maybe there is some student/ child discount thing, i dont know, but why dont you phone a dermotologist and ask, if you dont speak directly to a derm there is no doubt a secretary or assistant who can answer your questions clearly. Asking that on here isnt really going to clarify it for you.

you are not john617 as well are you?? :think:

i have my appointment with a derm on wednesday after waiting like 5 months, but the stuipid thing is, in the last couple of weeks it has kind of started to clear itslef up a small bit, how bad does it have to be to get roaccutane?? like a minimum badness, will i get it if i really want it?? any pics of how bad it has to be???

because it not really getting better im sure, its just scared cos it knows about the appointment, so annoying cos if he doesnt give it to me then it will just get worse again im certain

i have my appointment with a derm on wednesday after waiting like 5 months, but the stuipid thing is, in the last couple of weeks it has kind of started to clear itslef up a small bit, how bad does it have to be to get roaccutane?? like a minimum badness, will i get it if i really want it?? any pics of how bad it has to be???

because it not really getting better im sure, its just scared cos it knows about the appointment, so annoying cos if he doesnt give it to me then it will just get worse again im certain

If your acne is not bad it is very likely the derm will not put you on accutane. It will also depend on your acne history to some degree as well, your doc would/should have sent a copy of your full medical history to the derm so they can check how long you have been seeing the doc for the acne, and what meds you have already tried. If you are one of these kids 15-16 yrs old with mild /moderate acne (which is normal at that age) then it is even more unlikely that the derm will recommend tane for you. You will just have to wait and see what he says. If you have severe or cystic acne or you have alot of scars in relation to such severe acne then there is a good chance you will get tane.

im 18 and its not that good really, ive been using creams and that for like 2/3 years and nothing has helped not even a little bit

How do i go about doing this? Just call up the dermatology department in the hospital?

Sorry it took me a while to check back. Like you, I was told that the wait for an appointment was 3/4 months (far too long), so I went back to my GP and asked him to recommend a private one. He had already given me a list of NHS ones (that's what they do automatically when they refer you -- it's called "Choose and Book", and the idea is you pick out the one with the shortest wait, but in reality they're all as long as each other). All of the 3 NHS ones he listed do private work too, so I just phoned the first one and got in within 3 days. So, I think your best bet would be to ask your GP to recommend somebody like that.

The chances are if you go private on consultation then he will write you a private prescription. Thats it, you will have to pay the costs I mentioned earlier. By all means ask the derm about this when you see him but I have never heard of this private + then NHS otherwise I would have been informed and could claim my money back.

Yes, I thought it was too good to be true, but I'm not bullshitting. One £90 consultation two months ago is my total expenditure. At that point I chickened out of roaccutane, but he would have been happy to give it me on an NHS prescription. Went back last wednesday to see him on the NHS, had a blood test the same day (on the NHS), he phoned with the all clear on thursday, and I took my first NHS-prescribed 30mg on thursday lunchtime.

Dont forget to check with your insurance company to see if they will cover the costs.

You just tell your GP to refer you to a Private Derm not an NHS one. I saw my derm for £120, and he gave me tane the same day - no blood tests etc. And he doesnt want to see me again for two months (half way through my course) - and he is willing to transfer me onto his NHS list so I don't have to pay for the second consulation, or the last two months of tane either.

Most derms do NHS and Private practices.

I love my derm, he made it so easy for me!

Lu x

I saw my GP who said i needed to see a derm, but the wait was 3-4 months. I asked her if i could go private and pay to see one quicker. I did this, it cost me £100 and at the appt the derm said she'd put me on accutane but see me at her next nhs clinic, this way i could have my bloods done and pay for cheaper prescription charges. Downside was i had to wait another month to see her at her nhs clinic, but the initial consultation was way quicker (i could have seen her within like 3 days).

When or if you see a derm privately it may be worth asking if you can have treatment on the nhs.

Hey ya I went private to save time as a consultation on the NHS would take to long and I wanted an appointment before I went back to uni. I just went to my GP and asked to be referred to a dermatologist privately. Its not cheap about £100 for the initial consultation and then £70 for each appointment after (you normally need three) and then a 5 month course of accutane cost me £400 so in total it cost me close to a £1000 but it was well worth it as I have totally clear skin and the advantage of going private is that you can harass your derm at anytime of the day or night.

Meh I had to wait so why shouldnt you gr

And then when i finally got my appointment in May after waiting from february I couldn't get acutane cos I needed to try erythromycin. Going back in August when i WILL get it.