Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
halfbreed

Cinnamon to help control blood sugar levels

Hey everyone.

Has anyone tried adding cinnamon to their diet in hopes that it would help lower blood sugar levels? I tried incorporating it into my diet about 2 weeks ago but then discovered we need to take 1/2 a teaspoon for it to work! That's a lot!! :confused:

The twos ways I add it to my diet is I sprinkle it on my apples and add it to my soy yogurt but that's not anywhere near 1/2 teaspoon.

I feel like a major fool because today I dumped an excessive amount of it in my yogurt and almost puked. lol. It was so intense!

Anyone have any comments or experiences or whatever to add?

Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice both work good for insulin management I've found. Green/white tea has studies to back that it can help too. If you wanted to attack it from a triple standpoint, I'd suggest brewing up a cup of green/white tea, squeezing some lemon in and then some cinammon :)

A better strategy is to combine sugars with fiber and fat and not have to worry about it in the first place, though. For instance, if you want to eat a lot of fruit or something high glycemic, include an avocado or fresh vegetables or coconut flakes or something else in there somewhere. That's how I do it, at least.

My naturopath has recommended a porridge breakfast with cinnamon in it.

1 dessert spoon of ghee (clarified butter, an excellent carrier of spices into the bloodstream - milk solids have been removed, so no dairy reactions)

1/3 cup of the best oats you can find (I buy organic)

3/4 cup of water

1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon cardomon (good for digestion)

Gently simmer and stir thru all ingredients

Once it's thickened a bit, add a little honey (don't go too heavy - too much sugar is inflammatory) and a dash of unhomegenised milk (I get organic low-fat), or you could use soy/rice milk if you prefer. I'm going to swap to goat's milk soon as I've read that goat's milk is easier on the human digestive system than cows, plus I prefer the taste.

Stir and simmer gently again unitl it's the consistency you prefer.

Pour in a bowl and add some fresh fruit if you like (I love adding fresh cut strawberries and raspberries!)

Eat and enjoy.

My naturopath has recommended a porridge breakfast with cinnamon in it.

1 dessert spoon of ghee (clarified butter, an excellent carrier of spices into the bloodstream - milk solids have been removed, so no dairy reactions)

1/3 cup of the best oats you can find (I buy organic)

3/4 cup of water

1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon cardomon (good for digestion)

Gently simmer and stir thru all ingredients

Once it's thickened a bit, add a little honey (don't go too heavy - too much sugar is inflammatory) and a dash of unhomegenised milk (I get organic low-fat), or you could use soy/rice milk if you prefer. I'm going to swap to goat's milk soon as I've read that goat's milk is easier on the human digestive system than cows, plus I prefer the taste.

Stir and simmer gently again unitl it's the consistency you prefer.

Pour in a bowl and add some fresh fruit if you like (I love adding fresh cut strawberries and raspberries!)

Eat and enjoy.

Actually, I've just decided to go gluten-free and dairy-free as my skin oiliness hasn't been good this week, so I am going to replace the oats with brown rice, the milk with soy milk, and the ghee with raw coconut oil. Otherwise, still using the cinnamon :)

Guest Stu :-)

Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice both work good for insulin management I've found. Green/white tea has studies to back that it can help too. If you wanted to attack it from a triple standpoint, I'd suggest brewing up a cup of green/white tea, squeezing some lemon in and then some cinammon :)

A better strategy is to combine sugars with fiber and fat and not have to worry about it in the first place, though. For instance, if you want to eat a lot of fruit or something high glycemic, include an avocado or fresh vegetables or coconut flakes or something else in there somewhere. That's how I do it, at least.

Im definately bumpin this, lemons and green tea ''really" help me out..

Cinnamon works according to some members and women with PCOS, but be careful. If you use too much or you actually don't have insulin resistance, then your blood sugar will drop too low and....you may pass out!