Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danny©

BP adverse effects

Dear all,

I wonder if everyone knows about any long term adverse effect due to benzoyl peroxide use

I've read several messages in the board that says that BP is pretty harsh on the skin and I wonder if that

means that it could long term ruin the skin texture, complexion, age the skin or create wrinkles

I have acne of course, but also soft baby-like skin and I wouldn't like to cure my acne just to find myself with

a bad looking skin whose condition can't be reversed

Of course having that kind of skin means that it is very sensitive

If there are indeed long term adverse effect that may ruin skin healthy and softness unreversibly would anyone siggest me a milder treatment using Dan BP tube?

Thank you

Danny

in regard to wrinkles read here.

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#wrinkles

for bp safety read here

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#cancer

As far as the longterm damage of bp, it has a pretty good track record. And we are using it at the lowest dose available (2.5% bp). One of the big things is that it can make your skin dry, so we recommend a moisturizer to combat that. And it can make your skin more sensitive to the sun (which can cause premature aging, wrinkling, damage etc.) so we recommend using a sunscreen when you are using bp.

In my opinion, the acne resulted in more damage to my skin than the treatments have. It is the acne that causes scarring and hyperpigmentation, etc.

If you are uncomfortable or want more information, you might talk with your family doctor or dermatologist. They might be able to give you more information to help you feel better about your decision to use or not use bp products.

Thanks !

From the faq you redirected me to it seems that whatever adverse effect BP may have is totally reversible

This is what it's important

I'm more than willing to suffer reversible dryness and bad skin complexion I would have to think more than twice about it though if it was inreversible

The faq about the wrinkles though makes clear that every effect of dryness can be reversed if things get worse

Thanks again

Daniel

Also, I have another question

I'm a swimmer and I wonder whether BP treatmet would make my skin too sensitive to pool cloride or sea salt or whether once started the BP treatment it could be even dangerous for the face skin to swim in a pool or at the sea

Thanks!

Daniel

I swim everyday and the only thing I have noticed is that my skin is pretty dry when I get out of the pool. So I put on moisturizer after swimming. Other than that I do the Regimen as usual in the a.m. and in the p.m.

Most of the bp should get absorbed into the pores so when you swim I think only a little bit gets washed off as well as the moisturizer. So I just put on more moisturizer after swimming. It has worked out fine for me this way.

Also, a big concern is sunburn when using topical acne medications so do use an spf. I use Coppertone oil-free spf 30 if I am going to be out in the sun and/or swimming.

I don't know of any 'dangers' in regards to using bp and swimming in chlorinated pools.

If you are really concerned about these things I think you would feel better talking to your doctor or dermatologist about it.

here is from Dan's FAQ about swimming...

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#swim

actually i think BP does causes premature wrinkles .. bc it wasn't until i used BP that my skin became really dry and wrinkles .. yes i moisturize like crazy and even though i do not use BP anymore my skin is really dehyrdrated and lost the look of supple. So i am thinking of buying Emu Oil so give ym face that supple look again.

While on the CSR, I had terrible wrinkles on my face, and I wasn't applying it particularly close to my eyes. I was using Dan's recommended and favored moisturizer (Eucerin Skin Renewal with spf 15) and the most recommended cleanser (Cetaphil bar).

That's precisely why I ended up quitting the CSR - after seeing a digital flash photo of myself, even acne-free, I couldn't stand how horrible looking I'd become. Unfortunately, my skin had become rather dependant on benzoyl peroxide, and a string of breakouts followed my quitting the CSR. I rarely ever got acne on my cheeks before the CSR, but bp clearly had an adverse effect on my skin, and I'm still suffering from redmarks that developed over three months ago.

There have probably been hundreds of well-documented examples on the board of bp's slowing the skin's healing process. Hence the redmarks. While most of the wrinkles generated by bp have vanished since, the redmarks remain, as do small breakouts across my cheeks.

While bp is definitely excellent at fighting acne, I really can't condone it on a personal level because of how it's adversely affected my acne condition, my face, and my life. The trade-off isn't worth it if, in getting rid of acne, you also become ugly.

i agree with you Tristam .. and i think for many people acne is soemthing you get as a teenager .. and many ppl go on here and use to regimen but unfortunate their faces become dependent on it and never outgrow what they should have. for me i had the typical acne due to adolescence and now i noyl get like 4 or 5 at most active pimples when i am mestruating .. but i think the problem with BP is your skin does become dependent on it soo u must do it for idk how long sounds like forever and my opinion it isnt worth it ... plus getting wrinkles and all that really isnt worth it.