Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A few months ago I tried a new makeup, that wasnt oil free. BIG MISTAKE! I broke out like crazy. It took me 3 long months to clear up what this Oil-Based Makeup did to me.

First off, even if I dont wear makeup, I break out, so I figured I might as well wear something on my face and try to not look scary. My first step in clearing my skin was to switch back to an Oil-Free Makeup. You can test if your Makeup is Oil-Free simply by putting a dab on hand and washing it off with water. If it comes off easily with water, its Oil-Free. If its difficult to wash off and takes soap and some scrubbing, its Oil-Based, and you shouldnt be wearing it. Currently, I'm wearing Nuetrogena's new Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 15. I love this stuff. It's summer time and a little dewey skin looks great anyway. I won't be switching makeup until summer's end.

My second step in clearing up my skin is using Johnson & Johnson's 10% Benzoyl Peroxide at night. I wash my face with Neutrogena's Oil-Free liquid soap. I dry my face, then dab some B.P. all over. I get instantly dry and flaky and disguisting, but I'de rather look gross in my sleep, then during the day. Know what I mean? Within two weeks of using this stuff, my acne shrunk. I couldnt believe the improvement in my face.

The third step I'm using to clear my skin is from an old skool beauty book my mom has. Remember rice paper? Or those oil blotting sheets that cost so damn much at the drug stores? Well, I purchase some very inexpensive curler sheets from the beauty store. These small white sheets are used when women curl their hair with rollers. These sheets go in between the hair and the roller. Anyway, they work GREAT at about 3pm when Im all oily and greasy (I have combination skin and its a B-I-T-C-H trying to manage). So I take one of these sheets and gently dab all over my face. This removes lots of extra oil thats built up over the course of the day. I dont dare rub powder on my face. That only results in loads of whiteheads. Gross!

Lastly and most importantly, I drink loads of water throughout the day. Water to your body is like oil to you car. Imagine driving cross country and having crappy or no oil in your car. Your engine will burn. Same thing with your body. Drink PLENTY of WATER. I dont drink soda or anything like that. Its a waste. I do admit that I drink a lot of coffee and alcohol :( Thats bad I know... but we all have our vices.

I also want to mention that I have begun exercising 30 minutes a day a few times a week. I never had a way to manage my stress before and you could definetly see it on my face (in the form of acne). I strongly believe that stress causes acne. By exercising, you relieve this negative energy and turn it into positive energy. Exercise and I promise your acne will improve.

Other things I want to mention that I do throughout the day/week are the following:

* I wash my sheets / pillowcases once a week in hot water and bleach. I use a parfume free and dye free liquid detergent. I also DO NOT USE dryer sheets.

* I noticed I got a lot of acne wear my hair touches my face. I started pinning back my hair and noticed I didnt get anymore zits in that area. Also, when I sleep at night, I tie my hair back. I think that is key to keeping your face clear.

* I try to NEVER NEVER NEVER touch my face. Since Ive started using Benzoyl Peroxide, my face itches like crazy. I find something non-oily to scratch my face with, ie a pen or pencil.

* I wash my hands a lot, just in case I slip up and accidentally touch my face. Hey, no one's perfect.

* I wear a hat in the sun. I dont like tanning my face and sunscreens break me out like crazy.

* I spend the majority of my day on the telephone for work. I invested in a headset after I noticed I broke out on the side of my face that I used the telephone. Headsets can be expensive, but well worth it.

Something else, I know a lot of dermatologists argue that diet has nothing to do with your skin. I strongly, strongly DISAGREE with this. I believe diet and exercise have everything to do with everything (minus genes of course). I notice when I eat oily, greasy, and processed foods, my face breaks out. I also cant have anything to do with peanuts, almonds, or chocolate. Actually, I used to have cystic acne when I younger. My mom advised I stop eating peanut butter and guess what? The cysts went away.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps you out. I have had acne on and off since I was 12 (Im 25 now). I notice its when I get lazy, stress out, and eat like crap that I break out. The B.P. also helped a lot too.

Good luck with your regime. NOW GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND EXERCISE AND DRINK SOME WATER

Something else, I know a lot of dermatologists argue that diet has nothing to do with your skin. I strongly, strongly DISAGREE with this. I believe diet and exercise have everything to do with everything (minus genes of course). I notice when I eat oily, greasy, and processed foods, my face breaks out. I also cant have anything to do with peanuts, almonds, or chocolate. Actually, I used to have cystic acne when I younger. My mom advised I stop eating peanut butter and guess what? The cysts went away.

Do you know that the study that would provide the evidence that food has nothing to do with acne was just about chocolate? They provided the subjects with two kind of bars with equal amount of calories, fat and sugar but one had chocolate in it and one hadn't. Clearly at the end of the study there was not real difference in number and condition of pimples in people who eat the chocolate bar and the bar without chocolate

That's it

There are modern studies that show otherwise, that diet not only has a lot to do with acne but has a lot to do with all infective infiammatory processes. These studies are not discussed by dermatologist that keep quoting the old sweet bars study.

A recent theory that isolated all factors and saw a correlation between acne and cultural diet claims that acne is "triggered" by insulin spikes caused by refined carbohydrates because apparently population that don't consume refined carbs don't know what acne is

The incidence of acne in western teens is 70 to 90% incidence of acne in teens and adults in non-western country is 0%

If an acne free guy or teen move from his or her non-western country to a western country and adopt our diet he or she develops acne even if it was unkown to him or her before

That doesn't mean though that a cure is not necessary, because while it's true that food may trigger acne, changing your diet is not enough once it is triggered. Ance it's a case where pre-adolescient years prevention is more effective than later reversing of the condition through a diet change

JAMA. 1969 Dec 15;210(11):2071-4. (Effect of chocolate on acne vulgaris)

Arch Dermatol. 1981 Apr;117(4):193-5. (Diet and Acne Reconsidered)

Arch Dermatol. 2002 Dec;138(12):1584-90. (Acne vulgaris: a disease of Western civilization)

Arch Dermatol. 2002 Dec;138(12):1591-2. (Diet and Acne Revisited)

Arch Dermatol. 2003 Jul;139(7):941-2; (Essential Fatty Acids and Acne)

My second step in clearing up my skin is using Johnson & Johnson's 10% Benzoyl Peroxide

Where did you find that?, I went to get it in my local chemist/pharmacy today but they didn't have it.

My second step in clearing up my skin is using Johnson & Johnson's 10% Benzoyl Peroxide

Where did you find that?, I went to get it in my local chemist/pharmacy today but they didn't have it.

My apologies. The manufacturer is Johnson & Johnson, but Clean & Clear sells it. Just to show you how much it really works, I must tell you this. I didnt use it for the past two days because Ive been going out in the sun (bad, bad, I know...but Ive been wearing a hat) and Ive broken out a bit. I know if I had been using it, I wouldn't have had that breakout.

Anyway, good luck finding the B.P. If you cant find the Johnson & Johnson stuff, Im sure any other BP would work just the same.