Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cubs4life

Salicylic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide Question

Can I use a facewash with 1.5% Salicylic Acid in the morning after my morning shower then use 2.5% benzoly peroxide after my nighttime shower.

Can I use a facewash with 1.5% Salicylic Acid in the morning after my morning shower then use 2.5% benzoly peroxide after my nighttime shower.

Yes!

Salicylic acid is very good to use. And you should have no problems with your BP cream. See how it goes and if your skin has a good reaction.

Good luck :D

which is why you have a moisturizer to stop some of the BPs drying effects.

anyway, this doesnt like too bad of an idea, go for it and let us know if it works.

Salicylic acid usually isn't effective in cleansers because 1) the pH of the cleanser is almost always too high (over 4) to allow the salicylic acid to exfoliate and 2) a lot of the salicylic acid gets washed off before it can do much (assuming the cleanser even has a pH of 4 or under to begin with).

It is better to use gentle, pH correct leave-on salicylic acid products. Most salicylic acid products are not pH correct or contain irritants, though.

Any of the Paula's Choice Beta Hydroxy Acid products are good. You can buy them at:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/category2...PE=1&PAGETYPE=S

You can also buy them from Ebay, though I would buy them from Paula's Choice at least the first time so 1) you know what you're getting and 2) you can return it if need be. If you do decide to buy from Ebay, I recommend the Come and Glow Day Spa Ebay store.

You can actually use salicylic acid products at the same time; most people I know of that use salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide together (assuming both products are gentle and effectively formulated) get better results than using one product alone because salicylic acid unclogs pores, while the benzoyl peroxide disinfects, thus adressing two factors in acne. However, there is an increased risk of irritation, though in most cases any irritation subsides after two weeks. Salicylic acid is a derivative of aspirin and is thought to retain aspirin's anti-inflammatory properties when applied topically, which may actually reduce the potential for irritation.

I found a great moistureriser to use in the morning which contained Salicylic Acid... (Neutrogena's) and then in the night I would use 5% BP Gel. Worked excellent for me. But trust me you do need a moisturiser in there as the BP Gel is very drying.

Lee