Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyler92

Thinking of Taking Accutane

Hey all,

About me - I'm 26 and I've had moderate to mild acne with oily skin for 10 years. Been on many antibiotics and topicals, most recently cutting down to Jessfoliation and light spot treatments, which has left my skin in a manageable place. Also - I've been all over the forums, and spoken with many people about improving my acne.

I never considered Accutane b/c I thought you had to have severe acne to take it, but I've discovered that many people with mild acne took it. Its also the only thing that I know that has actually worked to help control acne. I'm just real upset with acne now, like I have not been in a while. My friends had acne when they were younger and it passed. I thought the same for mine. But I am now here and almost exactly 10 years after it started, its still here - the pimples, oiliness, greasiness. Don't get me wrong, I'm a confident person, but this is an area of my life I want to bring to closure, and I think its worth a shot to try Accutane.

I'd like opinions, cause I'm new to the whole Accutane thing - about the only thing I haven't read about on this board yet. I guess I would need to find a doctor to prescribe and to do further research about whether it could fix things.

Would love ot hear what everyone thinks about my situation. Thanks!!

Accutane is very good at getting rid of oiliness. While during the first month you will be oily, after that its great.

I just finished a 5 month course and went form severe acne to 0 pimples.

Talk to your derm about it. Your 26 so I would assume by now that the acne isnt going anywhere.

I think it would work for you.

Go talk to your derm about Tane. I was 24 when I started. I said to my derm, "look, I'm 24, I've been seeing you for a year, clearly this isn't going to go away on its own." He agreed and I took a 5 month, 40mg/day, course. Only a few months off now, but so far Perfect.

At your age, the acne probably will not go away on its own. It will probably decrease gradually over the years, but never completely cease. Accutane represents a quality chance at eliminating acne. If your doc will prescribe it for you, go for it.

Well as you said, its the only thing that is proven to rid you of acne. So do it! Don't think about it, just do it, thats what i did, sooner you start, sooner you will finish. GOOD LUCK!

Well im on it right now

the stuff works great

i did two months in september

and it really improved my skin

it went from be rather bad

to being kinda just above normal pimples

ny rate

buy lip balm

and have a water bottle with you 24-7, if you drink alot of water

i find that the dryness isnt as bad

My derm began suggesting Accutane after about 3 years of varying success with antibiotics and topicals. I resisted for the same reason: I thought it was only for severe cases. I was also scared of all the hype surrounding the drug. I only had occassional pimples but the cysts were getting more frequent and very large. Finally I started the Accutane and just finished a five month course. The results have been outstanding. No more oily skin and absolutely no breakouts for a long time. If things stay this way, it will be well worth it.

P&W

Well as you said, its the only thing that is proven to rid you of acne. So do it! Don't think about it, just do it, thats what i did, sooner you start, sooner you will finish. GOOD LUCK!

I resisted for the same reason: I thought it was only for severe cases. I was also scared of all the hype surrounding the drug. I only had occassional pimples but the cysts were getting more frequent and very large. Finally I started the Accutane and just finished a five month course. The results have been outstanding. No more oily skin and absolutely no breakouts for a long time. If things stay this way, it will be well worth it.

What they said.

Wow, certainly some overwhleming positive responses. Good to hear, I don't think I've communicated with many of you posters who responded, so thanks for replying that soon.

I will definitely have to look into it - like I said, my acne now is very mild, but I have greasy skin, clogged pores, and uneven skin tone - basically - tiny, tiny bumps all over my skin from all of the acne.

Also - here is my pic that I posted here a while ago - no real pimples, but you get the idea about the uneven skin:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...topic=61002&hl=